Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

BigD

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  4 mins ago
 retrofaza:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  54 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  The Big Thread of Update 4 Issues and QnA- problems and solutions if known
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
wegster 
The Big Thread of Update 4 Issues and QnA- problems and solutions if known
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 23:36:10
#1 ]
Elite Member

updated through thread 340 or so, some pending questions follow that post #
Ok, as it seems people tend to write some bad subjects ("hey, I have a problem!" ), so I'm going to try to track all of the issues here. If you're starting a new thread as you're unsure if it's a confirmed issue with others, just please title it appropriately! I'll update as we progress.

NOTE: If covered elswhere, I'm linking to it. If you have a new problem, please add it, either here or in a speerate thread. if it seems a simple problem, or one related to topics discussed here, I'd prefer you add it here, but if it may be complex, add a note here with a link to a separate thread if possible. If you have a thread open that gets answered here or in another thread, please change your subject to include 'FIXED,' 'RESOLVED,' or 'SOLVED' in the subject.

Have an issue with update 4? Please include:
System (A1SE/XE/micro)
RAM (has it been checked?)
video card
sound card
upgrade or clean install?
Other relevant device- ie, USB device X if USB related.

Installation Issues and Booting/related
-------------------------------------------------------------

The Install Guide mentions new firmware, where is it?
The Install Guide isn'towned by Hyperion, and is somewhat out of date. Use the last firmware, from update3 or Hyperion's web site, which you're likely at already.

NOTE: If creating new FFS partitions, original advice applies- use blocksize=2048 and suggest 500 or more for "buffers". (Buffers can later be changed, blocksize can not!)
blocksize for SFS partitions should be set to 512.

I don't have a CD-RW drive, or don't know how to use it!
Solution 1: (Severin)
Use DiskImage to mount the disk and install from within your existing OS4 install (preferably to a clean partition).

Solution 2: (Severin again)
Quote:

Quote: "i don't have a burning program on my A1"
There's no excuse for this, the makecd demo will work fine for burning the update iso, there is a copy of it on the initial pre-release CD or get it from http://makecd.core.de/

Solution 3: Quick cheat sheet for Frying Pan: (Snuffy '2' )
Quote:

HowToISO in FP is easy:
1. Open a data/audio tracks and add it there; if file is read properly, it's
type should be set to ISO.
2. On the Write page, enable cooked data/audio tracks", disable "on-the-fly
images" and click Write.
3. You should get this great program!

Slow bootup, screen blanks for a number of seconds before going into WorkBench.
NOTE: If you're on dialup AND not on Ethernet also, you want to comment out the below line, not replace it, to speed up startup.
In Startup-Sequence, replace:
C:AddNetInterface >NIL: DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.(info|off)
with
Run >NIL: C:AddNetInterface >NIL: DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.(info|off)
Also:
Quote:

This part of Startup-Sequence makes it boot a lot faster.
Add "C:Run >NIL: " in front of these three and off you go
C:Run >NIL: C:Mount >NIL: DEVS:DOSDrivers/~(#?.(info|off))
C:Run >NIL: C:AddNetInterface >NIL: DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.(info|off))
C:LoadMonDrvs
C:Run >NIL: C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET
C:IPrefs
C:ConClip

Note: Also see thread here on Speending up os4 boot time

When I try to install from CD, I get a 4 color workbench!
One possible solution is:
Quote:
This was because I didn't select A1IDE IDE CD in the boot menu as instructioned.
Once I managed to get the boot menu up in UBOOT and selected boot from the CD the correct colours were displayed.

I see a message about ASSIGNS on system boot.
Quote:

ASSIGN: the ADD, REMOVE, PATH, or DEFER option needs a TARGET specification.

Solution: Yes, the ASSIGN command has changed syntax slightly. FXPaint in particular adds an assign in User-Startup for:
Assign fxPAINT: REMOVE

This is incorrect syntax. To remove an assign completely, use:
ASSIGN :
ie, change the line for fxPaint to:
ASSIGN fxPAINT:

by editing S:User-Startup with Notepad or other editor and saving.
NOTE: Even with your original user-startup from ud3 or earlier, this may have been a problem but the message was being suppressed, so you may still need to fix this

More on assign by nbache:
Quote:

Actually, it isn't even the syntax that has changed, it is just the enforcement of it. The REMOVE keyword has always needed a target, i.e. it was supposed to be used for removing one specific, named path from a multi-assign.

The problem was that if you omitted that target, it failed to give you an error message, and that's what has been fixed now. It is not a mistake.

I'd advise everyone to go ahead and fix your scripts, wherever they have the construct "Assign [something] REMOVE". If the intention was to remove the whole assign, just delete the REMOVE keyword, if the intention was to remove one specific part, name that part's path (the target) before the REMOVE.

E.g. if you had done "Assign FONTS: SYS:Fonts" and "Assign FONTS: Work:MoreFonts ADD" and you want to go back to just SYS:Fonts, then you want to do "Assign FONTS: Work:MoreFonts REMOVE".

I can't access the early boot up screen using a PS/2 not USB mouse.
No change from UD3. Use a PS2 mouse to do so.

'Execute Command' doesn't remember my history any more!
RESOLUTION: The AsyncWB ToolType NOHISTORY needs to be commented out (have brackets around it) for the previous command to be displayed.

Problem: My CDrom, "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110" doesn't work with update 4.
i.e. Device CD0: doesn't exist.

NOTE/IMPORTANT: The following 'solved' the problem for one person but it is NOT recommended you downgrade core OS4 drivers, as this could cause other problems or possibly data loss. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Solution: Replace a1ide.device.kmod with previous version.

My sii3112 (others?) is running in PIO mode after ud4! (and other sii issues)
Yes, there seems to be a bug in ud4, although unsure if it's in uBoot Prefs tool, the sii driver, or? You can confirm the mode being used as shown here:
Quote:

9.Workbench:> idetool -u sii3112ide.device 0
-------------------Unit 0 information------------------------
Flags : $000001A7 - present, LBA48 used, supports DMA, ATA, supports acoustic mgmt, supports cache flush, interrupts used,
Xfer mode : best pio 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s) / best dma 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s) / current 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s)
Total blocks : 312581808
Blocksize : 512
Power mode : 2 / idle (ready for operation)
IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $802500 / $80250A / $802520

Note the 'current' setting?

SOLUTION: Go into uBoot prefs at system boot and following the sii3112 driver documentation, set your settings there and remember to 'saveenv' and reboot. Ensure you are now in DMA mode via idetool -l sii3112ide.device. For the time being, I'd avoid the use of the uBoot Prefs program until we determine root cause on this being reset.

NOTE: New sii drivers are now available on OS4Depot as ide_driverpack.zip Thanks SG!

Also note on sii drivers, the 3112/3512 envvar's length have been shortened to 2 chars (those controllers only support 2 ports, but now support up to 4 boards.

uBoot Prefs tool seems to change values incorrectly!
This seems to be the case at least for me and the 'stdin' value. It doesn't recognize 'usbkbd' and thus will reset stdin to 'ps2kbd' on saves. There might be others. Anyone have additional issues with the uBoot Prefs program?

uBoot Prefs tool crashes or causes system slowdown!
Seems to be a confirmed bug, Elwood reported as a bug to OS4 team, see further info in the original thread

Misc Drivers - USB, Printing and AmigaInput, Keyboard
--------------------------------------------------------------

Is there SCSI support in ud4?
Nope, sorry.

USB scroll doesn't work in some apps.
This is true, and noted in the update PDF. Apps affected so far are AWeb and WookieChat.
From the PDF:
Quote:

Update #4 of AmigaOS4.0 supports the mouse wheel on both USB and PS/2 devices. Prior releases of the USB stack used to send ?NewMouse? events for mouse wheels, however this method is no longer supported. Update #4 and beyond send IDCMP_EXTENDEDMOUSE and IDCMP_EXTENDEDKEYBOARD events for mouse wheels, additional mouse buttons and ?multimedia? keys on keyboards. This means that applications need to be modified to use mouse wheels; on the other hand, however, most system gadget classes as well as the latest MUI already support the official extended input support.

Workarounds?
None known yet.
NOTE: With respect to WookieChat, if you move the mouse directly over the scrollbar, it does scroll. This is with a USB mouse, I've been told by some they don't seem to have this problem with PS/2 mice? Confirmed- seems USB mice only.
* Scrolling with PS2 mice works fine with Wookiechat.
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=17499&forum=32&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0
UPDATE: My fault entirely, somehow old MUI classes were copied into system MUI path, unsure how, as I keep a separate system vs 'added on' MUI and libs path, but scrolling does work fine in wookie, check your MUI classes!

USB Flash Issues- lockups?
Chris_Y:
WB locks up here (taking everything else down with it) when I insert my USB flash drive - that worked perfectly under update3.

Others seem to have confirmed USB lockup issues can occur when copying files through Drag and Drop, but may work via the CLI (although slowly). For some, this used to work without issues in ud3.

Additional USB info from Chris_Y:
Quote:

My USB flash drive which worked perfectly under Update 3 does not mount under Update 4 unless it is inserted before the USB stack is started. If you put it in afterwards, most of the time it flickers on/off in the MSD commodity (ctrl-alt-m), although it does work occasionally.

Added by wegster- this is also the case for AmigaInput- you must have the device connected at poweron.

AmigaInput- does it work? How?
We _think_ so, although there are some oddities, see here
for full info on ways to get your USB stick/gamepad to work (possibly).
Chris_Y:
Quote:
I see amigainput/generic_usb.driver on the disk, but AmigaInput Prefs makes no attempt to load it (I checked with SnoopDOS ) so it doesn't appear on the list.

SOLVED Thanks to kgrach and AmigAlex, fix follows (tested):
Delete the files from ENV:AmigaInput/* and ENVARC:AmigaInput/* and then relaunch Prefs/AmigaInput , and it should recreate them. It looks like (as Kurt said) the prefs files were borked that went out with UD4 at least to some extent.
NOTE: Please read above referenced thread for full details on this, as we're still not 100% confirmed yet.

uBoot SysReq Key remapping has a problem
CodeSmith reports:
Quote:

I set the uBoot variable that allows the PrtScn/SysRq key to be used instead of ScrLk for the "Help" key, because I have one of those KVMs that use a double-tap on ScrLk to switch displays. Works great, no problems.

Until I tried to use the Exchange commodity. The hotkey for that defaults to Ctrl+Alt+Help. Guess what, on PC keyboards, for $DEITY knows what reason, if you press PrtScn on its own you get one scancode, and if you press Alt+PrtScn you get a different scancode (one yields 0x54, the other 0x37 IIRC). So since I guess the PC keyboard driver guy didn't know this bit of arcane lore, ctrl+alt+PrtScn doesn't pop up the Exchange commodity, because the event that Intuition is seeing is not [ctrl]+[alt]+[PrtScn], but [ctrl]+[AltPrtScn].

Since the keyboard driver is the software layer that is stuck with making something sensible out of the oddball behavior of the hardware, I'm calling this one a bug... (should be a relatively easy fix, depending on how the keyboard driver's state machine was put together).

Resolution: Unknown, looks like a valid bug at this point.

My keyboard is unable to type a 'pipe' ( | ) symbol, or possibly other keys!
wegster said:
Quote:
keyboard is a pckeyboards.com USB version of the IBM Model M (same kb + windows^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Linux keys) through a KVM. I have to select 'Amiga Keyboard' or the pipe symbol doesn't work. Not entirely sure I have a backup, but think last time (ud3) I made a custom keymap..

Switching to still a US keyboard but selecting 'Amiga' keyboard option fixed the pipe problem, but it looks like there's a keymap issue. I remember dealing with this on ud2 or ud3, but don't remember specifics. Working for now..

Parallel.device doesn't exist any longer, and/or I can't print!
parallel.device has been replaced with a1parallel.device, but a line re-mapping to a1parallel.device is commented out in the Devs:NDSPatch.cfg file.
Uncomment the following for programs that insist on using parallel.device, which is at the end of the file:
DEVICE parallel.device UNIT 0 MAPTODEVICE a1parallel.device MAPTOUNIT 0 MACHINE=AONE

Also, make sure to select 'custom' device in Printer prefs, and select a1parallel.device

Helpful hint added by TetiSoft for 'testing' printing/settings- Quote:
Using PRINTERS:File for test cases is a good idea, this should work on all machines and doesnt need a printer or waste paper. Select printtofile.device in printer Prefs to redirect to a file.

AWeb doesn't print correctly
Chris_Y said:
Quote:
There's an outstanding bug with printing under OS4 update 3. I haven't tried under update 4 to see if it works now.
http://bugz.naff.dk/show_bug.cgi?id=204

can anyone confirm this is or is not fixed in AWeb currently?

Andy Broad offers some additional notes on AWeb printing here in post 269

Video/W3d/related

So, what cards are currently supported with Warp3D as of update4?
Voodoo cards as well as ATI Radeon models 7000, 7200, 7500, 9000, 9200 and 9250.

Screen Mode problem- how do I add a new Mode?
Go into Devs:Monitors and select your video card, Radeon or Voodoo. Open Information, then add a 'mode line' in the format:
MODE=HxV@Hz
OR
MODE=HxVxBIT@Hz
H=Horizontal
V=Vertical
BIT = bit planes, ie 8, 16, 24 or 32. These can be individual entries, or comma separated. Leaving this out will create all possible modes.
Hz = Refresh in Hz. For TFTs 60Hz is usually a safe bet here. Refer to your CRT or LCD manual if more info is needed.

Added- "The mode will only work (and appear in the Prefs/Screenmode list) if the horizontal and vertical frequencies required by the calculation are within the limits imposed by the VSYNCMIN/MAX and HSYNCMINMAX tooltypes. Make sure that they are suitable for your monitor, they will protect it against out-of-range values. Once you have those limits set up, you can define any screenmode you wish and it will be calculated for you."

You can have many modes defined in the Tooltypes. They will all appear in the Prefs/Screenmodes list if they are within legal limits.
NOTE: See the UD4 PDF for additional info if needed.

I can't get ScreenBlanker to work except when I test it via Prefs!
The ScreenBlankerEngine Commodity needs to be running. Copy sys:Tools/Commodities/ScreenblankerEngine to WBStartup and it will work (after a restart).
Alternatively, copy it to WBStartup and double click to enable it immediately.

ScreenBlanker seems to ignore my settings to de-activate normal blanking.
Deniil715 said:
Quote:

I found a bug in Blanker:

If I select 5 seconds as Blank delay and then deselect the checkmark to inactivate the normal blank, select Hide from the menu, it still blanks after 5 seconds. Only way to disable the normal blank is to set the seconds to 0 otherwise the checkmark is ignored when the window is closed.

Need to confirm, but looks like a valid bug.

My Fonts look 'funny,' and I don't like it!
Quit whining
Changes to font rendering were introduced with ud4. It uses TypeManager to decide how to render fonts. The old pre-ud4 default seems to have been 'always auto,' and is now 'best.' Open System/TypeManager and select from your font path on the right hand side. You can select individual or multiple fonts, then select Project/Settings and reset back to 'always auto' if you prefer, and save settings. It seems a reboot is needed to effect the changes here. (Can someone confirm, or is there another way?)
Some info on 'hinting' and fonts

Hey! The ScreenBlanker kicks in while I'm using some program now!
The Screen Blanker doesn't listen to AmigaInput, as a result playing a game like Wipeout gets interrupted by the blanker. At the moment, you need to disable it if you're going to use AmigaInput, or at least for that session. You can also terminate the engine with Exchange and restarting it afterwards works around it... for the time being.

Network related

Slow Network connections
Original thread here
Quote:

There's a new shell command in the distribution (which I hope didn't get omitted from Update #4 by accident). Testers reported that with the following settings things took a turn for the better:

roadshowcontrol save set tcp.do_timestamps 0
roadshowcontrol save set tcp.do_win_scale 0
roadshowcontrol save set tcp.mssdflt 1460
roadshowcontrol save set tcp.recvspace 65536
roadshowcontrol save set tcp.use_mssdflt_for_remote 0
RoadShowControl SET tcp.sendspace 65536

If this doesn't help, go back to default settings.
Delete ENVARC:Roadshow and ENV:Roadshow and reboot or restart the network stack

SSL problems
ud4 comes with the PPC native AmiSSL v3, but not v1 or v2, so this will affect a fresh install!

You have to assign AmiSSL: to Devs:/AmiSSL
AWeb needs the v1 libs
IBrowse needs the AmiSSL v2 libs, which can be copied into libs:AmiSSL

Steps to take on OS4 if AmiSSL v1 and/or v2 is already installed:
1) AmiSSL assign should be changed to point to Devs:AmiSSL
2) PathToPreviousAmiSSLInstall:Libs directory should be moved into Devs:AmiSSL
3) amisslmaster.library v2 should be removed from Devs:AmiSSL/Libs directory.
This is not strictly necessary since this directory in LIBS: assign should
have lower priority then SYS:Libs directory where amisslmaster.library v3.5
resides.

If AmiSSL v1 and/or v2 is not already installed:
1) Use the installer(s) and install (both) to Devs:, no need to change the
certificates (the installation itself should suggest not to do it)
2) amisslmaster.library v2 should be removed from Devs:AmiSSL/Libs directory.
This is not strictly necessary since this directory in LIBS: assign should
have lower priority then SYS:Libs directory where amisslmaster.library v3.5
resides.

I'm confused, I just don't get it!
Sorry, this is not the place for personal issues, please see the 'Love And Sex' thread instead.

Misc Programs and Prefs, Commodities - supplied by OS4

C:Rx and RXSET doesn't appear to pass parameters correctly
Full thread: here
Quote:

rx rexx:dme.rexx filename
used to pass the arg filename to script rexx:dme.rexx in update 3 and before but
now the arg is not passed.
but
rx 'ADDRESS REXX "rexx:dme.rexx filename"'
does work.

Resolution: (from linked thread, Olsen):
Quote:

Oops. That's the one with the bug. I broke the parameter processing somewhere between 51.7 and 51.8, and the bug was eventually fixed in 51.10.

Looks like it didn't make it onto the Update #4 CD. But this should be easy to fix.

In the mean time, please try to use the older 68k RX command.

For RxSet: (grabbed from ML)
the 68k ASM RXSET command of older AmigaOS versions didnt use ReadArgs() to parse its commandline but parsed it by hand and accepted strings which contain spaces, e.g.

rxset someid workbench.library 51.35

was possible, with the PPC version of the RXSET command this undocumented
side effect vanished and RXSET behaves like every other shell command,
it needs quotes around strings with spaces, like

rxset someid "workbench.library 51.35"
Note: or replace with 68k version.

BenchTrash is missing from update 4?
Yes, it seems that it is.
SOLUTION- UD3 version seems to work fine.
TetiSoft said:
Quote:

I suggested to do so (remove it) because its an 68k program which cant work on PPC OS4. Never tested it but IMHO it has to SetFunction() dos.library to implement a system global trashcan, and it will of course only patch the 68k jumptable, not the PPC interface. Nobody disagreed so its now missing. No sources available so we cant compile a PPC version.

PROBLEM: I cant change prefs for GUI, wbpattern, or screenmode, while the screenblankerengine is active. I have to quit it first.

Actually, wbpattern sort of works, but with all three prefs programs I just mentioned, it brings up a requester saying "Intuition is attempting to reset the Workbench screen. Please close all windows except drawers" over and over, appearing and disappearing by itself until you eventually manage to click cancel.
SOLUTION: Unload screenblankerengine via Exchange or (at your own risk downgrade to ud3 screenblankerengine[/b]) Just terminating the engine with Exchange and restarting it afterwards works around it... for the time being.

ContextMenus seems to work differently now, am I doing something wrong?
Behavior has changed. Prior releases ignored the window focus and gave a context menu based on mouse position instead of highlighted window. To get the old behavior back, remove the parenthesis from the 'IGNOREFOCUS' tooltype for ContextMenus.

ContextMenus acts 'funny' when selecting the titlebar!
Yes, it seems that ContextMenus will select the file 'behind' the titlebar if you have a list view (by name, date, IOW non-icon) and select the left hand side of the titlebar.
To reproduce:
1. Make sure that the ContextMenus commodity is running (with or without the IGNOREFOCUS tooltype)
2. Open up your Workbench icon, then double-click on Tools
3. In the "View By" menu for the Tools directory, select "Name" and make sure no item is selected.
4. scroll down so some files are listed at the top of the drawer listing, still with no file or drawer selected.
5. Right-click on the Tools window's title bar on the right hand side of the title bar, you should see a normal 'Folder' type popup menu
6. Right click on the left hand side of the title bar
7. Right-click on the Tools window's title bar again, on the LEFT hand side of the titlebar, and you'll see a 'File' or 'lharc' operation menu.

The object BEHIND the title bar is being selected!

Workaround: Appears to be none other than being careful where you click, this would seem to be a bug.

DefIcons.prefs caused a Grim Reaper! (reported by swoodall)
Reproduction:
1. Open the Icon info for a file whose type has no def_*.info file, and it does nothing.
2. If you try to Edit it, it calls IconEdit which Grims with a DSI/80000003
3. Can be reproduced by open deficons, select type ascii->fd, then menuselect Icon->Edit.

RESOLUTION: NONE KNOWN (see post 217 for further info

date command in CLI shows odd output
1. Type date in a shell
2. output is similar to: 17 08:51:50 2006
(day shown but not month)

RESOLUTION: You are executing the SDK (Linux) version of date. Run C:Date instead and the displayed output is correct.

Help! I dragged my Workbench titlebar out of view and released it, and can't get it back!
Use [Shift-LeftAmiga/left mouse click] to drag it back into place.

Fonts
There's a small problem with "Bitstream Vera Sans" font. Two dots on top of "a" is in wrong place. If you select 'Always AutoHinter' from TypeManager it will correct this.

Right Amiga doesn't clean up Icons
There seems to be a problem with the Swedish locale, this works using English Locale.

Audio Issues

NOTE Please ensure your versions of Mixer, AHI, and audio drivers are up to date with those on OS4Depot!

My XE with onboard sound, or any A1 with Envy24HT based card (MAudio Rev, 5.1, Terratec) audio card doesn't work!
These drivers were not included as part of the core OS install. Download them from OS4Depot

My sound on my micro is borked, I can't hear it or it's very low!
From the ud4 PDF:
Quote:

Users of a ?A1 or CMI-based audio cards might find that sound output is silent after the updated. If this is the case, open AHI prefs, and set the Output slider to ?Line out? instead of ?Digital out?.

I can use the scroll wheel to scroll 'past' the window boundaries and drawer listing or icons, showing only white space!
Yes, you can. It's a bug. Seems to happen if you haven't selected an item in the drawer and scroll, the scrolling isn't 'bounded.'

My sound is 'crackly' or distorted under ud4!
RESOLUTION: Unknown at this point.
Some general Audio comments:
Stephen_Robinson: Quote:
The mono modes have never worked before update4 either, so you shouldn't select them. I have fixed this in a newer version of the cmi driver, but that won't probably be out until os4 final.

Xenic: (see post 202 for full quote.
Quote:
Since upgrading to pre4 I've notice some problems with sound distortion on my µA1. When Jabberwocky connects, the online notification sound (uses datatypes) is distorted. In order to rule out a problem with Jabberwocky, I opened a Multiview window to play the sound while IBrowse is loading AW.net (dialup connection). I used the command line "Multiview online.iff" and clicked the Multiview sound window repeatedly while AW.net is being loaded. I hear the same distortion using Multiview.

I also tested this using the System Sound Preferences window. I checked "Make Sound", selected "Sound Type: Beep", set "Beep Length: 100" and clicked the little speaker button (to play the sound) repeatedly while IBrowse was loading AW.net. I get similar distortion and clicking.

wegster added: There seems to be issues not necessarily caused by the audio drivers, but can be seen by heavy network traffic, or heavy gfx or USB use in some cases. Some users have confirmed this was not a problem under ud3 for them, but now is with ud4. Seems to be confirmed as a known issue at this point, may or may not be multiple issues, so resolution = unknown to users at this time, presumably known bug(s?) and wait for update(s). Other programs with issues seem to be DVPlayer for some (several reports currently). More info from Xenic seems to confirm a USB/Audio 'issue,' in that replacing files in DEV:Sys/USB with ud3 versions, this no longer occurs. NOTE: I would not recommend this unless and OS4 dev suggests it, as the USB stack has been reworked for ud4 and this may affect AmigaInput as well.

PlayCD has low output
Solution- download mixer and adjust settings.

Application Specifics - 3rd Party

Does Lightwave work under UD4?
Well, sort of. It runs but has issues rendering.
Full thread: here
Rachy sez:
Quote:
Lightwave is crashing because it is trying to write pixels trough the screen bitmap pointer, which is ending up in illegal memory access.

NEW: You can try the patch from OS4Depot, which may allow LW to run! Please report back if this works (or doesn't) for you!
Lightwave patch for os4

IBrowse is giving me a "CL_URLString" error.
You need to get the latest NewString and copy to your new MUI:libs/mui directory.
Added- 'official' newstring MUI is at http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/resources/NS18_2.lzx

Does DOpus Magellan 5.82 work now?
Nope.

Anything new that may need to go on the JIT/Petunia incompatibility list?
See Prefs/Compatibility to add an app to the 'blacklist,' which stops the JIT from trying to execute listed programs, and falls back to software emulation.
A few reports: (if anyone can confirm these work without problems, please do so![/b]
WB-Bump - crashes
PC-Task - crashes. Worked with ud3. (no JIT)
Protext - now Grims on loading, and with JIT disabled, it never completes loading, (opens a blank window but does not put anything in it) - AmigaOneProductions

IBrowse or other MUI apps flicker when being re-sized, and it makes me sad!
Cobra sez:
Quote:

IBrowse flickers as it uses custom drawing by itself, the system cannot influence that. However you should go to MUI Preferences and under 'Windows' have 'Refresh' set to 'smart' and 'Redraw' set to 'without clear'. That will give you the best performance with MUI apps.

NOTE: 'Best performance' may not be true- it may give the best picture/redraws, but likely at a performance hit.

PlayCD isn't working right for me!
TonyW said:
Quote:

For those who don't know how to get PlayCD to work, here is a working set of tooltypes:

DOSDEV=CD0
(DEVICE=scsi.device)
(UNIT=2)
(SKIP=???)
(PEEKTIME=333333)
(PUBSCREEN=)
(BUFMEMTYPE=1)
USECDDB
URL=http://freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi
(PROXY=)
USER=
CACHEDIR=

NOTE: Also see post #125 here for additional good info by kgrach on PlayCD and CDDB/configuration if interested.

PlayCD has low output
Solution- download mixer and adjust settings.

ATC crashes or doesn't run right!
ATC needs some MUI libraries to be installed. Use SnoopDOS and install to MUI:/libs/MUI anyone have list of needed classes?

What else now works under UD4 that didn't before? (will grow, add in thread if you found a new working app, some of this is hit and miss, grabbing from where can find info here and on ML)
- Display rendering in turbo print 5.02 is now working properly again.
- PixelPro now works. And it works well.
- MagicLink works (slow, but it's better than nothing)
- Photogenics is WAY faster
- Graphics publisher now displays images correctly when run on WB screen. If DSI errors occur, Ignore DSI in GR may allow normal usage.
- papyrus starts with a guru, but if you 'ignore DSI' in the Grim Reaper it starts normally. papyrus is still beta.
- Aladdin4d now works with ud4, did not work previously.

What doesn't work now, or what still doesn't?
- PixelPro 2 still doesn't
- Picshow now fails and takes the system with it(!) FIX: (jahc) theres about 4-5 different versions of Picshow for different CPUs and systems. The "picshow" loader that chooses which exe to load is broken in Update4. Solution: Use picshow.os4 directly.
- Thumb gurus out and locks system. RESOLUTION: Thumb has the same problem as Picshow, use thumb.os4 instead of thumb to launch, or copy thumb.os4 over thumb.
- PlayCD 3.9- PlayCD OS3.9 does not work anymore (except the eject button).
Solution: use the ugly native PlayCD.
- quicksketch- It loads fine but the cursor doesn't draw anything.
- AllKeys doesn't work, author knows about, likely change with input.device?
- QuickSketch (68k) doesn't work any longer, author (deniil715) knows about.

Last edited by wegster on 15-Mar-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 15-Mar-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 15-Mar-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 15-Mar-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 17-Feb-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 14-Feb-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 13-Feb-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 13-Feb-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 13-Feb-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 13-Feb-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 12-Feb-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 11-Feb-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 04:51 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 03:38 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 03:21 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 10-Feb-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 09-Feb-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 09-Feb-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 09-Feb-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 09-Feb-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 09-Feb-2006 at 11:41 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
spotUP 
Re: The Big Thread of Update 4 Issues and QnA- problems and solutions if known
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 23:39:57
#2 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

hmmmm... i am a bit sceptical to this new approach on the screenmode thingie...
why should it be easier to edit a textfile instead of using a GUI prefs app?... this feels more linux awkwardish :/.....

edit: hmm... maybe it wasn't that bad after all :)

Last edited by spotUP on 18-Mar-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Last edited by spotUP on 18-Mar-2006 at 04:32 AM.

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

-Sam- 
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 23:44:07
#3 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Good idea. Gives some structure to all of the useful additional testing going on with the PR users and should help Hyperion. I'm surprised they don't have a registered user web tracking system for this very task.

@spotUP

Yes that sounds like a backward step - I would expect it will be improved though.

RacerX 
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 23:44:37
#4 ]

Not a problem, just a question.

Is 'mixer setlevels' still needed in the user-startup?

Bean 
Posted on 9-Feb-2006 23:48:32
#5 ]

@spotUP

RE: screenmode.

It's real easy - much easier than it is in Linux.

Instead of opening P96 and going through a painful process of adding a screen
mode for all colour depths you can just add the mode to the tooltype:

Right click monitor, select Info, add a line

MODE=1280x1024@60

That's it...

OS4 seems to set this all up for you anyway when you install though, and
besides you can still use P96prefs if you want to.

(Maybe we'll see some monitor files for specific monitors appearing on OS4
depot).

Cheers,
Bean.

Severin 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 0:19:41
#6 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
4. Slow bootup, screen blanks for a number of seconds before going into WorkBench.
NOTE: If you're on dialup, you want to comment out the below line, not replace it, to speed up startup.
In Startup-Sequence, replace:
C:AddNetInterface >NIL: DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.(info|off)
with
Run >NIL: C:AddNetInterface >NIL: DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.(info|off)

If your on dialup and NOT using the ethernet then disable it...

For a while I was using dialup but through a network... They are not mutually exclusive.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

freaks 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 0:34:52
#7 ]

@wegster

hi thanks for collecting all the q&a on one single thread, i just wanted to say, i experience slow boot too, slower than update3.
i'm not on dialup.
i only use ethernet to connect adsl modem.
is there something i can do?

wegster 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 1:04:28
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Quote:
If your on dialup and NOT using the ethernet then disable it...

For a while I was using dialup but through a network... They are not mutually exclusive.

True, and now noted, thanks. I think I mentally refuse to acknowledge anyone uses a modem any longer

wegster 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 1:05:54
#9 ]
Elite Member

@freaks
Try the suggestions in item #4 (added new), but also remove or comment out the line for the AddNetInterface line, assuming you're not also on ethernet.

tonyw 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 4:02:14
#10 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Item 2 (re video modes): please add a qualifier:

"The mode will only work (and appear in the Prefs/Screenmode list) if the horizontal and vertical frequencies required by the calculation are within the limits imposed by the VSYNCMIN/MAX and HSYNCMINMAX tooltypes. Make sure that they are suitable for your monitor, they will protect it against out-of-range values. Once you have those limits set up, you can define any screenmode you wish and it will be calculated for you."

You can have many modes defined in the Tooltypes. They will all appear in the Prefs/Screenmodes list if they are within legal limits.

No more messing about with HTotals, Sync width, HDelays etc. This is much better and safer if your monitor lacks built-in protection.

Probably Picasso96Mode will disappear in the near future. It's much too low-level for most people.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

tonyw 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 4:08:25
#11 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Haven't seen this yet, but someone's bound to say it sometime:

"Can't get scroll to work properly in YAM".

Make sure that you download and install (into SYS:MUI/Libs/mui/), these classes:
TextEditor.mcc, TextEditor.mcp
NFloatText.mcc, NFloatText.mcp

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

wegster 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 4:21:07
#12 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw
ok to grab from os4depot, or specific versions needed for YAM?

MZ 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 4:36:39
#13 ]

I think that the new screenblankerengine prevents changing themes? Could someone else confirm this?

Iomega tools (iotools) hangs os4? I wonder why?

BTW. Is Iomega zip drives (parallel) supported in OS4?

salass00 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 6:28:14
#14 ]
Elite Member

Now I know I don't have proper UDMA cables, so I'm not sure how this applies, but I used to be able to do 33MB/s UDMA transfers with update #3, but with update #4 a1ide.device even that won't work for me (not even 16MB/s). I had to set the harddrive back to PIO with idetool to be able to compile my wave.datatype sources without the compiler throwing up a lot of nonsense errors during linking and then failing.

I've now changed back to the a1ide.device from upd. #3 and am using 33 MB/s UDMA successfully again (source code compiles and links now without any weird errors popping up out of nowhere).

scabit 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 6:38:51
#15 ]

@wegster

One issue I had that I'm not sure was mentioned elsewhere:

Problem: input.device locks the system when any key on the keyboard is pressed
after update 4 is installed.

Solution: Remove ALLkeys from your startup-sequence or user-startup. My
user-startup had the line "run >nil: allkeys". Commenting it out and rebooting
fixed the input.device fatal lockup problem.

Question: Now what do I do to map my volume up, down keys to mixer volume
functions?

salass00 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 6:45:32
#16 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Have you tried disabling JIT for it in Compatibility prefs?

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 8:24:36
#17 ]

@spotUP

you can open your monitor's manual and just write that stuff in 30 secs...simple. P96Mode program is not user-friendly, it should be rewritten IMHO.

freaks 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 8:25:41
#18 ]

where is the global trashcan?
what's that prefsObjectEditor thingy?

LordArt 
Foundation now works!
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 8:57:37
#19 ]

@wegster

I just wanted to add that on a lark I tried out Foundation, and now it works on OS4 Update 4! Just thought people should know!

Reaps 
Posted on 10-Feb-2006 9:22:57
#20 ]

@wegster

I started this just before U4 was released (related to USB keyboard), however, it seems to have turned into a U4 problem (with solution).

Cheers!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle