Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

zipper,  OlafS25,  OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 zipper:  1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  16 mins ago
 matthey:  22 mins ago
 amigakit:  59 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Any news on OS4 for classic Amigas...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
d4m0n 
Re: Any news on OS4 for classic Amigas...
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 11:56:54
#41 ]

@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:

WOSPUPOS4 wrote:
I don't want to use my 1200 to view DVD. Why would i ? i have an xbox with xbmc to do that. Wouldn't do that if i had an AmigaONE either. Don't like sitting infront of a monitor when there is a big tv in the livingroom.

Exactly; who wants to watch a film on your computer sat at your desk when chances are you've got at least a $50 DVD player under your TV?

I'd buy OS4.0 for Classic/Blizzard straight away if it came out, just like I bought 3.9.

Profile     Report this post  
Crumb 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:01:13
#42 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:
I don' t get the whole BPPC is to slow/underpowered talk at all.

Yeah, I undertand you. Current A1s are also underpowered for serious tasks like Video editing, 3D rendering, ripping dvds etc but it seems some A1 users have the need of telling Classic users that their machines are underpowered.

Current A1s are not cheap (if these machines costed 90¤ like efikas you wouldn't mind about it not being fast because it's just a hobby.

A1s are as dead as classics: A1s are no longer produced, these machines are underpowered for today's standards and both are expensive.

If OS4 ran on PPC Macs at least people may try it out and give sales to Hyperion. No one has a single computer these days, most of people can use windows/mac apps so I find very weak the argument of not releasing OS4 for common platforms because you can run the same app in the same computer. I can play Doom3 instead of Shogo,but I'll probably buy amiga software/games just because I love my platform.

OS4 has no hardware to run. That doesn't increase the number of users developers. Running on classic would increase the number of users, developers and would bring some money to the OS4 team, much more than the A1 version (that is limited to the current number of users)

Following Samwell's logic Hyperion should drop A1 support because it's not produced and should work with Troika instead of supporting a dead platform no longer produced like the A1 is

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:06:09
#43 ]

I'm glad i'm not totaly alone with these feelings/thoughts here
Was begining to think i was crazy or something.

Last edited by WOSPUPOS4 on 08-Mar-2006 at 12:07 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:12:18
#44 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

Classic machines made 12 years ago are not "healthy competition" they will lead to no competition at all if all Amiga users don't upgrade. It's like the "Shall I upgrade my A500?" question, all over again!!!! Buy a new Troika card by all means, but buy something to run OS4 on!

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:18:41
#45 ]

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

Classic machines made 12 years ago are not "healthy competition" they will lead to no competition at all if all Amiga users don't upgrade. It's like the "Shall I upgrade my A500?" question, all over again!!!! Buy a new Troika card by all means, but buy something to run OS4 on!

I was refering to " hence any half assed attempt to split OS4.0 users between Classics and the A1 would hit A1 sales! This argument is also relevant to ACK and Troika vapourware!". New hardware that is.

As i said before i don't think anyone here thinks the classic version is to attrackt new users. It's to keep old users/make old users get a taste of the new and maybe wet their apetite so that they will buy overpriced buggy hardware in the future.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:19:55
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:
If OS4 ran on PPC Macs at least people may try it out and give sales to Hyperion.

That makes more sense!!!

I'd buy a G5 Mac if that were the case!

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:23:11
#47 ]

@BigD
For your agument to hold true it would take the classic version on crappy old hardware (not mine words. I like it) to be better then the A1 version
It would mean it's so great that there is no reason what so ever to buy anything new.

And i don't think one can compare the cost of an OS to the cost of a whole motherboard/gfx card/etc.

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:25:30
#48 ]

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Crumb

Quote:
If OS4 ran on PPC Macs at least people may try it out and give sales to Hyperion.

That makes more sense!!!

I'd buy a G5 Mac if that were the case!

Wouldn't that be a heresy to Eyetech

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:37:11
#49 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:
Wouldn't that be a heresy to Eyetech

It probably would be close to it if Eyetech had a release date for a next batch of A1's but they don't. I just believe PPC Mac hardware is a viable modern (but soon to be antiquated) platform which would give new owners a fast/attractive/and viable option. Classic Amigas don't offer this, only value for money for the few Classic Hardware collectors!

AmiDog 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 12:50:13
#50 ]
Cult Member

@everyone who would like to run AmigaOS4 on a Mac

Just get the hardware documentation from Apple (=impossible) and I'm sure Hyperion would be interested!

FrankBrana 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 13:07:02
#51 ]

As a matter of fact, A1, as a hardware plataform, is dead, since the manufacturer is out of business.

Of course the users who had bought that mobbo want to have the machine fully supported, but, the reality is that since no boards are available and seems that a new production will not happen, the point is, it really worths to out so much efforts in supporting it?

In the other hand we have the classics ( oh well, all the slow you want ) but in number they are far more than all the A1 produced in every batch.

Usually highend PPC classic amigas are owned by experienced users, developers, hardcore talibanian amigans.... Those bunch of users may well pay a copy of OS4 for classics helping with fund to hyperion, bugrepo rting the system, developing and buying appz... keeping the damn thing to mantain alive itself.
Of coz there is always the risc of get some Os4 pirated in the process, but as the few amiga users we remain here I suppose are true amiga lovers, I think ppl is going to buy the system.

Why, oh why, are this good bunch of users going to be deprecated when they can fund, or at least help, in the development for Os4 and keep alive the amiga scene

As I have said, IMO new hardware plataforms have to be supported in order to mantain the cadency of new hardware emerging, but, selling Os4 to classics, really hurts so much, even, when it can report more money than Os4 for Aone?

Sell Os4 for classics and the users will pay off the effort :D

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 13:15:08
#52 ]

How did this thread turn into a do or don't release OS4 for classics ?
All i wanted to know was if there is any news on the development of OS4.
Maybe time to get back on topic ?

But i guess that if all beta testers are under NDA and only Rogue (Enthilza has left AW.net ? ) can answer the questions it wouldn't be much atcion in here.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 13:42:40
#53 ]
Elite Member

@FrankBrana

Quote:
As a matter of fact, A1, as a hardware plataform, is dead, since the manufacturer is out of business.

Are you telling me that Eyetech is "out of buisiness" or is it just the manufacturer they contracted to make the boards? Either way that's pretty serious. Where did you glean this info from?

If Eyetech is dead, Hyperion will have no choice but to cut their loses sell the OS4 to the few die hard Classic PPC hobbists and leave it at that. You'll have your cheap OS, but you won't have a platform! In the mean time I'll be playing 'The Secret of Monkey Island' and such like on a cheap non-custom expanded Classic Amiga (i.e.with just a 030 board) that actually made economic sense to buy in 1994!

Last edited by BigD on 08-Mar-2006 at 01:54 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:00:43
#54 ]

@BigD
Quote:
Are you telling me that Eyetech is "out of buisiness" or is it just the manufacturer they contracted to make the boards?

Could you please tell me what Eyetech is actually selling at the moment?

AmigaOnes? Nope, and there is a 99.99% chance that they well never ever sell A1 again

Classic Amiga hardware? Reports (Amigakit et al.) say that Eyetech doesn't take orders anymore

So what's their business? If you are questioning that OS4 should be released and supported for Classic Amiga, you could also question why it is supported for Eyetechs A1s since that isn't the future either. "Nobody can buy it, the userbase with A1's doesn't grow anymore, many bugs, so why support this obsolete technology?" That's what you could ask.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:08:26
#55 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:
So what's their business? If you are questioning that OS4 should be released and supported for Classic Amiga, you could also question why it is supported for Eyetechs A1s since that isn't the future either. "Nobody can buy it, the userbase with A1's doesn't grow anymore, many bugs, so why support this obsolete technology?" That's what you could ask.

Not the best news I've heard today to be honest, but at least you set it out like it is Amiga deserves a future! Maybe all OS4.0 has left is limping onto some old Classic PPC boards!

Last edited by BigD on 08-Mar-2006 at 02:09 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:15:08
#56 ]

@BigD
Quote:
Not the best news I've heard today to be honest, but at least you set it out like it is

Eh? I've just stated what I heard and what has been reported from different people.
Yes, I agree, Amiga deserves a future. But does that mean that we should become completely ignorant of the things and news happening around us and rather decide to live in a dreamworld? Face the facts, face reality, then you can start and realistically think what might be the best for our Amiga (and not releasing OS4 for the Classics is DEFINATELY NOT one of those ideas).

Last edited by polka. on 08-Mar-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Serpi 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:17:59
#57 ]
Cult Member

@AmiDog

Quote:
Just get the hardware documentation from Apple (=impossible) and I'm sure Hyperion would be interested!

Oh, and of course don't forget, Apple will not produce any new PPC Macs, so you have to buy second hand hardware (at least, soon you'll have to) if you want A PPC and you will not get any UpToDate hardware in the future.

So, now the "I want OS4 on MAC" people should really shut up.

Ciao, Alfred

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:20:27
#58 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:
Face the facts, face reality, then you can start and realistically think what might be the best for our Amiga (and not releasing OS4 for the Classics is DEFINATELY NOT one of those ideas).

Agreed things are more dire than I thought. I was still under impression Eyetch had a store of unsold A1 boards with a lack of PPC chips and production could be restarted if the mood was right. Since our hope now seems to rest with vapourware (Toika and ACK) it leave no choice but to port to Classic PPC as well!

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:23:59
#59 ]

@BigD

20 Answers with Alan Redhouse of Eyetech

Read this if you haven't already.

Crumb 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:25:38
#60 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDog

Although Linux is not the best way of getting information about the chipsets, they have already wasted a lot of time finding problems related to the ArticiaS/Via686B combo so I don't think that making OS4 work on modern macs would take them much time.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle