Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

saimo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  3 mins ago
 A1200:  5 mins ago
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  34 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Any news on OS4 for classic Amigas...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Crumb 
Re: Any news on OS4 for classic Amigas...
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:40:26
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Serpi

Quote:
Oh, and of course don't forget, Apple will not produce any new PPC Macs,

Apple will continue producing PPC boards for at least 1.5 years. Even if they stopped now any amiga distributor could buy any number of boards they want and it will be far more easy to find boards for all the customers.

The number of a1s produced since its introduction is just a fraction of the macs produced in a month. And now you have the result: you can't buy an A1 even if you wanted second hand.

Do you think it's better to be 2 years without new hardware than using the powerful hardware you can buy now?

In two years some companies will be producing CELL based boards so you'll be able to use it. You can also buy stuff from Genesi, and if you are really paranoid about piracy you can buy boards in hundreds and bundle OS4 with them.

Genesi will be selling QuadG5s and Efikas soon. There will be 50000 Efikas produced and these boards will have a price of around 90¤. Hardware is available and Hyperion doesn't get any profit from A1s so using a custom-vapor-solution from any unknown small company that promises us everything and never delivers isn't logic.

The problem is that no more than 2000 A1s have been sold and that's all the profit Hyperion has received. A Classic Amiga version of OS4 would mean the same number of sales at least. A Efika one would boost OS4 sales a lot because everyone could test it out. If the people who buys it thinks he needs more power he could use a QuadG% running OS4.

@BigD

Quote:
It's like the "Shall I upgrade my A500?" question, all over again!!!!

When that situation took place there were various modern alternatives like A1200, A4000, etc and you could buy these alternatives. Now you can't buy anything that runs AmigaOS4.

Profile     Report this post  
AmiDog 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:47:11
#62 ]
Cult Member

@Crumb

Well, maybe if someone paid them for it and they only had to make OS4 run on a specific Mac and not every PPC Mac there is out there...

polka. 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:49:59
#63 ]

@Crumb
Quote:
There will be 50000 Efikas produced and these boards will have a price of around 90¤.

Not entirely true. The design was sold for a number of 50.000. It has never been said that in fact 50.000 units will be produced. If less are produced, it's just means that the price they paid to Genesi will theoretically increase in their internal calculations (per-unit).

mausle 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 14:50:58
#64 ]

@che and others

Quote:

che wrote:
BUT I let the $50 go down the drain (well I got at least a T-Shirt I'll never wear )

Want to sell it?

Quote:

Markus (amigafan since 1st May 1986)

So I tell you my story:

I quit the amiga around 1995, I kept my A2000 but did not use it anymore. Working with computers all day during university and in the job afterwards makes you doing other things in your spare time. About 3 years ago I bought a PC to play with new things:
java, linux, web servers, surfing the web. There are those linux/bsds for amigas and I tried to get a mem expansion for my old A2630. But what did I find? All that stuff about UAE, Amithlon, OS3.9, AROS, OS4, MorphOS, AOne, Peg.

Well, nowadays I have the money I did not have back then and made some wishes from the past come true. At that time it was said OS4 will first make it on the Classic with a CyberstormPPC, so I got my self one. It was said again by the Friedens at the first OS4 on Tour stop in Augsburg, also Steffen Häuser was there (who turned out to be studying one or two years after myself at Stuttgart University) and KDH. Who were the reason I was there, too. I was in their area two weeks before and wanted to buy an Amiga Forever Cd, but it was out of stock. Instead they had some fresh arrived AOne boards and not all of them were already reserved for other customers. It was almost as expensive as my first A500.

So I do have OS4 now, every AOne owner has it. It should have been available to the classic owners for a long time now. You say it's not yet the final release. For me this is just a name. It is given to some customers (which own an AOne) so it IS released. Sure there might be laywers giving you another definition of what is generally called a release. But most people do not think like that. Tell me, should I be annoyed about that, (I'm not, I have what wanted, I even own a Peg) but I can understand if other people are.

If this all shall become a business (again) at some day (I wonder how they survive from what I know they might make money), there has to be much better hardware than everything what is (was) available or is announced now. People look what they get for the price they pay. The Amiga was the best machine you could get for the best price for some time in the past, just like Dave Haynie said. And there were a lot of great games, thats what made it a success, not its OS not its other applications and uses. Most people remember the Amiga as a great gaming machine and only few for other things, just look at how people buy A500's and games at ebay. I don't know if people buy old 386 PC for the same reason. Probably the PS3 is the best opportunity there has ever been, but it has to happen soon this year.

ciao

Varthall 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 15:58:24
#65 ]

@d4m0n

Quote:

d4m0n wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:

WOSPUPOS4 wrote:
I don't want to use my 1200 to view DVD. Why would i ? i have an xbox with xbmc to do that. Wouldn't do that if i had an AmigaONE either. Don't like sitting infront of a monitor when there is a big tv in the livingroom.

Exactly; who wants to watch a film on your computer sat at your desk when chances are you've got at least a $50 DVD player under your TV?

[OT]
Well, I don't have any DVD player in my bedroom, I watch Divx'es on my A1. Although I must admit that it's a bit noisy as a Divx player
[/OT]

Varthall

Wol 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 16:29:08
#66 ]

@FuZion

Rant On........

Can't see your problem, Hyperion is a software company, they don't sell
hardware they sell software. I would like to purchase many copies of OS4
for my classics and " upgrade " from OS3.9 to OS4.

But ATM i cannot justify buying an A1: it would be a 'Downgrade' for me,
ok, it's faster and has OS4, but thats it. It does not have all the
functionality of my fully loaded PPC A4000.

Where would I put 3 gfx cards and use 4 monitors (inc AGA), where do I put
8 scsi devices, not to mention a hardwired mouse and keyboard ( A MUST).

It's no good having usb stuff, it's to unreliable, half the time my Mac Mini
starts up with no usb stack (no keyboard or mouse) ; it's about as usefull
as a brick when it does this.

IDE stuff is pretty useless for me, only a small number of devices and
you lot with A1's seem to have to configure them manually ( Uboot );not
very Amiga like is it ?. Not to mention all that DMA ####.

Bottom line; Yes, I want to buy new hardware, but not a toy. I want a new
system that has at least 5 PCI slots; pref 7, at least 2 Gigs ram,
a procesor slot for upgrades.etc.

ATM all hardware is vaporware, I cannot buy anything anyway, but I would
like to buy OS4 NOW!

Rant Off..

Wol.

ikir 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 16:32:59
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Wol

Incorrect! USB works, dma works, you configure it on workbench with graphics prefs.

On a1 you can put a lot of hds if you want, like your 4000.

Varthall 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 16:45:58
#68 ]

@Wol

Quote:

Wol wrote:
@FuZion

It's no good having usb stuff, it's to unreliable, half the time my Mac Mini
starts up with no usb stack (no keyboard or mouse) ; it's about as usefull
as a brick when it does this.

I also prefer using PS/2 devices, for the sole reason that this way I have two more free USB ports.

Quote:

IDE stuff is pretty useless for me, only a small number of devices and
you lot with A1's seem to have to configure them manually ( Uboot );not
very Amiga like is it ?. Not to mention all that DMA ####.

Since update3 there's a UBoot configuration GUI in SYS:Prefs which helps settings the UBoot environment using the mouse. I use it to switch on and off the DMA. You're right about the DMA issues though

Quote:

Bottom line; Yes, I want to buy new hardware, but not a toy. I want a new
system that has at least 5 PCI slots; pref 7, at least 2 Gigs ram,
a procesor slot for upgrades.etc.

And more important, it would be nice to have more OS4 drivers for PCI cards like the Firewire, Bluetooth and USB2 ones and so on...

Varthall

Last edited by Varthall on 08-Mar-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Simon 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 17:59:14
#69 ]
Cult Member

I bought a µA1 to support the future or the whatever it is ... I just wanted it . And If I can buy ppchardware -vixxen or blizzard - for my classic then I buy that also together with OS4. Just because I want to.

And by the way ... OS4 for an A1200 desktop would be more then ok. That's enough for having more developers and will not harm future hardwaredevelopers. In the end we all want an up-to-date OS4 machine. Once people had that OS4 feeling on a classic they are going to want to upgrade to the newer hardware. To prove this theory ... how much people upgraded to A1200 from A500 ? They didn't all stick with the A500 even when it was also upgradable to the newer workbench/kickstart.

Oh enough OS4 nagging ... did you guys visit the new Boinged In Belgium website ? www.boingedinbelgium.be . I need some help anyway.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 9-Mar-2006 19:51:13
#70 ]

Quote:

Aminicle wrote:

Oh enough OS4 nagging ... did you guys visit the new Boinged In Belgium website ? www.boingedinbelgium.be . I need some help anyway.

Hey it's not nice to steal a thred like that

nzv58l 
Posted on 9-Mar-2006 20:08:05
#71 ]

@Aminicle

Pretty much spot on!

I would like to see something released for the classic users. In fact I sort of wonder why it hasn't happened already. Is it because Hyperion did not want to try and support two types of hardware? Is it because they wanted to get more A1's sold and were afraid that selling OS4 to classics would kill the A1 sales? I think you are right that the people that bought OS4 for their classics would want to buy an A1 as a future purchase as soon as they could afford it. The sheer speed is worth the upgrade, although I do like the backwards compatability that will probably be pretty nice to have on a classic. Hopefully soon though the old apps will become old and be replaced by new stuff.

I do see it as a plus to get OS4 out to the classic users. The more people we get developing on OS4 the better. And the quicker this can happen the better too. I think I would still wait to release the full official version though when the hardware is there though. A pre-release for the classic users I think would be a good idea if it is not too much to support both the A1 and classic platforms at the same time.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Mar-2006 20:11:16
#72 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 9-Mar-2006 20:29:01
#73 ]

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

It had to come right ;)

Simon 
Posted on 9-Mar-2006 20:45:36
#74 ]
Cult Member

@WOSPUPOS4

does it have to be done ? BETA ...

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 9-Mar-2006 21:38:10
#75 ]

Quote:

Aminicle wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

does it have to be done ? BETA ...

Absolutely not. I would pay full price for a beta with lots of 68k parts too.
As long as it starts and can be used to some extent i would be satesfied.

Dandy 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 6:32:49
#76 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

Quote:

FuZion wrote:
but new hardware designers must find it extremely difficult to justify creating new hardware when so many of us can't let go of the old hardware.

Why should anyone let go of the old hardware, as long as there is no reliable, new hardware available in numbers, that is not in alpha or beta state?

Dandy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle