Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 bhabbott:  9 mins ago
 Birbo:  16 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
ExiE 
Re: OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 12:23:16
#101 ]

@Mikey_C

thanks for words of hope but i am not sure if this is enough after all...
Amiga fans are most patient people on the Earth (maybe except the Duke Nuken Forever fans) but when you see the "When it's done" year after year, there comes the time people loose their faith

Shouldn we just start saying "When there's the hardware"?

Last edited by ExiE on 27-Mar-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Mikey_C 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 12:47:39
#102 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

I can't betray confidences. Sorry.

Kicko 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 12:53:25
#103 ]
Elite Member

Pretty fair text :)

mlehto 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 13:25:30
#104 ]

@Mikey_C

Quote:

There will be new hardware some time this year. Of this I am 100% sure.

Thanks. If this is true, its enough for me (by now)

Tuxedo 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 13:27:05
#105 ]
Elite Member

@digitaldisaster

I think that who own decisional power had made BIG mistakes on AmigaOS4 porting policy!

:-/

Only that...

Tuxedo.

Radfoo 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:06:57
#106 ]

@Radfoo
Quote:
(Or just ignore me )

Ok, so we are going for option 2

I'll just jump to conclusions myself then shall I? I will assume the following:

Hyperion have given up on OS4 (desktop) due to silence/problems from Amiga
Eyetech have given up on the A1 due to a fall out with Hyperion and/or Amiga
Troika (if they are legit, serious, genuine) will not be able to obtain a license
Ack (if they are legit, serious, genuine) will not be able to obtain a license

In conclusion, OS4 is at a dead end?

Last edited by Radfoo on 27-Mar-2006 at 02:07 PM.

neonlite 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:07:58
#107 ]

hmmm...the whole thing is getting to a climax!!!!
this is really a good suspense thriller movie scenario...

Hyperion,i bow to you people...
i wish you good luck...

because now I see that only you are working to the benefit of Amiga platform,in any form it may be...

p.s. wouldn't it be better to contact someone in KMOS or what their name is??!!
they bought out AInc didn't they...
they should know what is happening to those ˝lost souls˝...

wouldn't like ta accusse Ainc. of anything but,them not answering to anyone is....
nonethical and inhuman...

polka. 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:11:45
#108 ]

@neonlite
Quote:
p.s. wouldn't it be better to contact someone in KMOS or what their name is??!! they bought out AInc didn't they...

Good one!

Last edited by polka. on 27-Mar-2006 at 02:12 PM.

neonlite 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:28:16
#109 ]

emmm.....not laughing

i simply don't know the facts....
would be nice to explain,not to laugh....

umisef 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:41:47
#110 ]

@EntilZha

Quote:
Just pointing out what we said repeadetly, so everyone (even you) should in the meantime get the point.

I take it you are referring to the "It's not Hyperion's decision to make, others have an influence over what we can or cannot port to" statements.

So, YOU YOURSELF are saying that someone other than Hyperion is blocking ports to at least some new hardware (namely, the Pegasos), but probably to *all* new hardware. OK, understood. Understood a fair while back.

That, however, is an internal matter between the so-called "AmigaONE partners", i.e. you, Amiga Inc, and Eyetech. This trio of companies acted as a unit 4.5 years ago, when they proudly announced A1 and OS4 to be ready 4 months hence; And to this day, according to all reports anyone with less than an OS4 obsession can gather, the trio is still jointly controlling the fate of OS4.

It is understood that you, Hyperion, are less than happy with the state of affairs. It is understood that the trio, as a unit, has done diddly-squat in the last several years. It is even understood, now, that communications between you and AI have completely ceased (at least that's how I interpret the "talking to a wall" comment). And yet you say

Quote:
He did make some points in his editorial that were outright false.

The only mistake I can see is that he referred to Amiga Inc and Hyperion, jointly, rather than to AI, Hyperion and Eyetech, jointly. Which probably indicates that Thom has given up on Eyetech --- given the last year, a pretty reasonable attitude.

What else is wrong? Is it wrong to say that the AmigaONE partners need to do SOMETHING different from what has been happening for the last 12 months, or none of the interested OSnews readers will ever be able to run OS4 on their desktop?

What, exactly, is everyone objecting to? Once you get over the whole idea of this article blaming/being aimed at Hyperion, and instead realize that it talks about the AmigaONE partners (only once singling out one, and then not Hyperion), what is actually, in your opinion, wrong? I mean, come on, he even adopted the (in my opinion) farcical Hyperion 2001 style anti-x86 arguments and presented them as fact.

Quote:
With a littel bit of reading, he would have known

And once you point out what was wrong, could you please also point to where the correct info could be read?

samface 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:48:26
#111 ]

@Radfoo

Quote:
I'll just jump to conclusions myself then shall I?

No, there is no *need* to jump to conclusions. It is fully possible AND recommendable to not assume anything beyond what we know. Try it for change, it won't harm you.

What we know from what has been said in this thread is that Hyperion hasn't given up on anything. However, they are obviously not in a position to tell what's going on behind the scenes right now. Is this really that hard to accept for what it is rather than guessing what's going on like this is somekind of game?

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

Samwel 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 14:52:45
#112 ]
Elite Member

@neonlite

KMOS bought Amiga Inc and then later "merged" together the two companies.
So in essense KMOS is Amiga Inc

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

falemagn 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:00:14
#113 ]

@samface

Quote:

No, there is no *need* to jump to conclusions. It is fully possible AND recommendable to not assume anything beyond what we know. Try it for change, it won't harm you.

It actually will harm many people who are still waiting for things to happen.

This whole affair has transformed itself into a cult, where people whorship the Amiga God without seeing any evidence whatsoever of it, except for a few questionable signs here and there, and the words of the Amiga Gospel professed by self-appointed prophets.

It just doesn't harm you, Sammy, who chosed to be the Amiga Inc/Hyperion/Eyetech apologist, almost as if it were your job, without even putting the money where your mouth is. Should this sad saga come to a end, you'd suddenly find yourself without a job, so I can understand why you keep saying "stay calm, everything is under control".

~~ Henry Ford

umisef 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:01:45
#114 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Bold words from someone that had to stop his product because it was found to be in violation of a license.

Lowering yourself to Ben's level? Ouch! And SUCH a good comeback regarding missed deadlines and refusal to release on licensed hardware for political reasons....

BTW, considering I *did* stop the product the moment I found out about licenses not being paid, in the process condemning a year of my labour to the trashcan, I think I can take any moral high ground I choose to take. This isn't Harald you are talking with, remember.

Quote:

Quote:
So addressing those two, jointly, and asking them to get their act together (that includes building a working relationship amongst themselves) makes sense.

No it doesn't, because, as I said already, it is not in Hyperion's power to decide this

Come on --- which part of "jointly" and "amongst themselves" did you interpret as "Hyperion alone should do this"?

Quote:
I haven't seen one single constructive posting by you

Maybe the fact that each time I ask about something technically interesting (like whatever happened to automatic stack extension), you choose to ignore me?

Quote:
you don't have any idea about our plans for OS 4.

Well, I guess I have as much or as little idea as the next guy. Which means that, right now, I have this impression that somehow, Hyperion still intends to market OS4 as a desktop OS, on desktop hardware, in addition to whatever other plans they might have.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, because then Thom could just post an addendum to his article saying "oh, well, I missed the point completely". And everyone who would like to use a supported Amiga-like desktop OS could just strike OS4 from the list of options.

But if I am NOT wrong in believing Hyperion intends to have OS4 on some sort of desktop, then saying that it won't happen unless somehow the hardware situation gets resolved, while having a certain "Duh!" factor on AW.net, is perfectly accurate on OSnews.

Quote:
So go on claiming your exclusivity rights for the truth

Huh? What nonsense!

OK, why don't we pay the old "10 questions" game, and you simply answer, truthfully. Yes or no will do, but of course I am sure nobody would mind you elaborating:

1) Does Hyperion currently intend to market OS4 as a desktop OS beyond the existing
AmigaONE machines?
2) Does Hyperion intend to develop OS4.1, 4.2 etc as a desktop OS?
3) Has Hyperion been in contact with AmigaINC in the last 6 months? 12 months?
4) Same question about Eyetech?
5) Has Hyperion received prototypes of any OS4 capable desktop hardware other than the A1?
6) Is Hyperion aware of ANY hardware manufacturer other than Eyetech having the required licenses to commission an OS4 port
7) Is Hyperion aware of ANY such hardware manufacturer having been able to contact Amiga Inc in the last 6 months?
8) Will OS4, when released, feature automatic stack extension? Slab allocator? With a buddy allocator to provide the backing?
9) Is the decision to not release OS4 for classic PPC hardware motivated by AmigaONE partner internal politics? By driver issues? By license payment issues?
10) Does Hyperion as a company, or one of the core programmers as individuals, own a Pegasos I? Pegasos 2?

Last edited by umisef on 27-Mar-2006 at 03:05 PM.

samface 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:04:19
#115 ]

@umisef

With all due respect, I really don't see how you could possibly be in a position to tell Hyperion what their relationship are with their partners. That's for them to know and tell you about, not the other way around.

Furthermore, I really don't think the mudslinging about past delays of AmigaOS4 belongs in this thread. We've been there so many times before, to bring it up once again with no relevance to anything only seem like trolling to me.

If you actually have something constructive to say here, I'd say your doing an extremely poor job of presenting it.

samface 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:08:23
#116 ]

@falemagn

Quote:
It actually will harm many people who are still waiting for things to happen.

To not assume is NOT the same has waiting. On the contrary, then you have ASSUMED that there is something to wait for. Once again you demonstrate your inability to understand the concept of NOT jumping to conclusions.

And please spare me the pathetic "red-apologist"/BAF/whatever claims about me. You simply don't have a clue.

gnarly 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:14:28
#117 ]
Cult Member

@ExiE

Quote:

We should indeed. As far as I can see, AmigaOS 4.0 is essentially "done". It just needs a platform on which it can run...

pixie 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:23:16
#118 ]
Elite Member

Only now I was able to read it and am yet to understand the reason behind such flammings... it is the same article it was when released, was it updated to better represent the facts?

vortexau 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:27:58
#119 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

Quote:

ExiE wrote:

Wish granted with a NEW smilie:

falemagn 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 15:29:58
#120 ]

@samface
Quote:

To not assume is NOT the same has waiting. On the contrary, then you have ASSUMED that there is something to wait for. Once again you demonstrate your inability to understand the concept of NOT jumping to conclusions.

Alright... then tell me exactly what "not assuming" is supposed to mean.

You either wait for AmigaOS 4 and proper hardware, or you don't. There's no middle way, period. If you wait, then you're hardmed, if you don't wait, then you've made your decision already.

Quote:

And please spare me the pathetic "red-apologist"/BAF/whatever claims about me. You simply don't have a clue.

Ouch... touchy, aren't we, Sammy? Did I hit a aching nerve? As long as you'll answer on Hyperion's behalf to people questions, giving excuses and the like, you'll be their apologist.

Last edited by falemagn on 27-Mar-2006 at 03:31 PM.

~~ Henry Ford

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle