Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  16 mins ago
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 kolla:  30 mins ago
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Samwel 
Re: OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 4:50:47
#201 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Is this because TerraSoft already pays Apple for OSX and just reinstalls
Linux on the machine or does Apple allow ANY commercial OS to hack
their systems and sell them rebadged?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Profile     Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 4:56:40
#202 ]
Team Member

@Samwel

Terrasoft doesn't hack Apple's systems, they are an official value-added reseller of Mac systems. Apple only cares that their systems get sold.

Samwel 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 5:00:42
#203 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Hehe I know TerraSoft don't hack the Macs.. I meant if Hyperion would hack them
and sell Macs with OS4. Would Apple allow another commercial OS to use
their hardware?

wegster 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 5:01:35
#204 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel
AFAIK, and from the pricing, you're still paying retail price, which includes the hardware as well as OS X, whether or not you use (or get?) it....no idea what TerraSoft actually pays for Apple's hardware, though...

Samwel 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 5:37:29
#205 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Yeah that's what I thought. When another commercial software is sold without OSX
bundled then I'll believe Macs are free to use by others.
Simply selling Macs with Linux installed and paying for OSX at the same time is not
what I thought of using Macs for OS4.

wegster 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 6:24:51
#206 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel
Not terribly relevant IMO. If you're paying $100 premium for Apple hardware to run OS4 on (theoretically), versus the 'EyeTech premium,' I'd gladly take the Apple hardware. Not to mention soon enough it will only be used PPC hardware, but still a far better situation that either yet more custom unavailable hardware, or Pegs.

BTW, TerraSoft is an Apple VAR (Value Added Reseller). I'd be curious as to what their terms were in managing that...regardless, terraSoft pricelist:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/purchase.php

wegster 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 6:33:37
#207 ]
Elite Member

@thread
BTW, this is evidently fairly new at OSNews, which THom evidently announced back in February, to totally mixed feedback, including some of the arguments we've had in this thread, while others like the idea.

For your reading enjoyment/amusement, read the comments...
http://www.osnews.com/meta/read.php/1139780233/introducing_the_sunday_eve_column.html

brotheris 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 6:54:43
#208 ]

@Thom

AW.net users are angry just because they understand in what deep pit they are. Only praising articles are allowed on other websites, because others "might just ruin momentum when OS4 will be launched". The "problem" is that you are right in your editorial, but due to some contract Hyperion can't do a squat about it.

Some people claim that Hyperion is not at fault, but they are wrong (selective memory). BenH, a famous lawyer in amiga circles, worked/works for Hyperion and he is main author of contract between trio. At that time it seemed right, because it was the only way to get Amiga brand name into their future products and push bplan aside. Ofcourse at that time there were no products, but still Ben hoped that Ainc will go bancrupt and Hyperion with Eyetech will be free to use whatever they got with their licence.

As "get money quick" scheme didn't work (just get AmigaOS running on PPC hardware with emulator), things took longer on OS front. Hardware reseller got problems too, because MAI got into trouble and now looks like AmigaInc with it's current status, i.e. dead corpse flowing somewhere (MAI created Teron/A1 motherboards and famous ArticiaS northbridge). After more than enough years late it looks like only Hyperion and develiopers from Amiga community has done some real work, but it's a bit too late - no hw (but there are always a hint or two that some will come in few months ), userbase seems to shrink even further, future hardware offerings more or less look vapour (no hw or no licence, there is no difference which is the problem).

What mostly is left are angry AW.net users who are playing blame game - on MorphOS, then on Genesi, then on.....,on..., now AmigaInc. Mostly there is nothing else left to do. Amiga name has been taken for the sole purpose of name and "funnily" enough is now left in void. Wonder how many years will pass because their "heroes" will get part of the blame too.

My advice to you Thom - don't bother defending yourself so much here, you won't brake the ice, because this blame-game postition has been popular for too many years. Sad. The only things to do is to think of Amiga as what is called Classic Amiga.

Squelch 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 7:59:49
#209 ]

@brotheris

Quote:

AW.net users are angry just because they understand in what deep pit they are. Only praising articles are allowed on other websites, because others "might just ruin momentum when OS4 will be launched".

Not at all familiar a reaction is it? Remember the reaction to Dave Haynies comments on MorphOS? Or the anti-AmigaOS v4.0 trolls hanging around spamming every article about AmigaOS 4.0 on Slashdot and OSNews?

We have Nicholas/mdma, "Redhouse" etc. Seems like everyone is allowed an opinion on AmigaOS 4.0 and the current situation apart from aw.net users.

It isn't even as simplified as you describe above. Even reading this thread properly ( which you never seem to do before putting your oar in ) shows myriad of differing points of view and opinions and apart from two posts posters are providing reason for holding their points of view.

Quote:

Some people claim that Hyperion is not at fault, but they are wrong (selective memory). BenH, a famous lawyer in amiga circles, worked/works for Hyperion and he is main author of contract between trio.

Selective memories playing a part here again? You must have forgotten thread after thread explaining the legal situation.

Quote:

At that time it seemed right, because it was the only way to get Amiga brand name into their future products and push bplan aside. Ofcourse at that time there were no products, but still

I must have missed all those flamewars when the Amiga ONE was called a TeronCX by Seehund and the AmigaONE was called a TeronONE way before the AmigaONE was released. Selective memories? The Teron CX did exist.

Quote:

Ben hoped that Ainc will go bancrupt and Hyperion with Eyetech will be free to use whatever they got with their licence.

And you know that for a fact do you? Ben Hermans, where are you, can you confirm that AInc's bankruptcy would be a linch pin in your contract strategy?

Quote:

What mostly is left are angry AW.net users who are playing blame game - on MorphOS, then on Genesi, then on.....,on..., now AmigaInc.

Sounds very familiar, like most of your posts on ann.lu for three years blaming Amiga Inc, Hyperion and every man and his dog who didn't choose it ( blind fanboy fanatics you and others called them ) for killing MorphOS?

Quote:

My advice to you Thom - don't bother defending yourself so much here, you won't brake the ice, because this blame-game postition has been popular for too many years. Sad. The only things to do is to think of Amiga as what is called Classic Amiga.

There you have it, the only thing to do is to stick your head in the sand and ignore 6 years of depressing history.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 8:05:41
#210 ]
Elite Member

@brotheris

My advice to you is not to dress up opinions as facts.

brotheris 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 9:08:18
#211 ]

@Squelch

Quote:

Sounds very familiar, like most of your posts on ann.lu for three years blaming Amiga Inc, Hyperion and every man and his dog who didn't choose it ( blind fanboy fanatics you and others called them ) for killing MorphOS?

everyone and his dog know that AInc is worthless anchor and didn't bring any value to OS4+A1 solution. All those talks about certification and quality assurance were worthless. They didn't do anything worthwhile, but still want to get big part of products price (remember when Alan Redhouse showed how much every part of his A1 solution costs?)

And for killing MorphOS - MorphOS isn't killed, it isn't dead, it just wasn't called AmigaOS, but even at that time mostly it didn't matter, now it matters even less. MorphOS is not to be blamed for situation OS4 comunity is in, MorphOS is irrelevant to those who follow Amiga brand name. Current AmigaInc has nothing to do with real Amiga, they even called AmigaOS dead and pushed their DE solution (which is deader than dead now).

Quote:

There you have it, the only thing to do is to stick your head in the sand and ignore 6 years of depressing history.

Yes, it's depressing, because in real world Amiga is over, possible momentum has been lost many moons ago, it will never be anything more than hobby platform. No world domination, etc etc etc.

Freescale shrugged when developers told, that MorphOS has 68k emulation and can run AmigaOS3.1 software, they just said "why?"

@Mickey_C

We'he heard the talk about "hw will come soon/on christmass/few more weeks/mostly done/etc" for more than a decade. It's all just speculations and told only for one reason - to keep some of people waiting. Waiting leads to bitching, then frustration, then the truth floats to the top and everything starts from begining. Next gen next gen next gen...

The hardware will appear soon!

Mikey_C 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 9:10:56
#212 ]
Elite Member

@botheris

Quote:
We'he heard the talk about "hw will come soon/on christmass/few more weeks/mostly done/etc" for more than a decade. It's all just speculations and told only for one reason - to keep some of people waiting. Waiting leads to bitching, then frustration, then the truth floats to the top and everything starts from begining. Next gen next gen next gen...

What Truth? So far, I have seen very little truth from you float to the top.

From what you have written so far, you haven't gotten anywhere near the truth yet.

brotheris 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 9:23:59
#213 ]

@Mikey_C

Quote:

What Truth? So far, I have seen very little truth from you float to the top.

The truth doesn't come from me, the truth comes from events. The truth that after many years Amiga Christmass didn't come, two more weaks didn't come, countless Mystery Hardwares didn't come, ArticiaS has no bugs got changed, "we have big things behind the scenes" didn't change a thing, etc etc etc. Countless promises and hope lifters were (and still are IMHO) just a fluff. There were no launch of new Amiga and that is the truth. Or am I still writting damn lies ?

Coder 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 9:28:06
#214 ]
Team Member

@OldTimeUser

Quote:
Care to back up that accusation? thought not.

@Moderators

You preach rules when i make comments about your precious holy than holy Eyetech but someone can make (yet again) accusations without proof and be allowed to continue to do so.

Hit the abuse report button if you feel people are taking a crap on you. Besides that you can contact the staff about this. Remember?

Coder

Seehund 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 16:58:02
#215 ]

@Squelch

Quote:

Squelch wrote:

Quote:

At that time it seemed right, because it was the only way to get Amiga brand name into their future products and push bplan aside. Ofcourse at that time there were no products, but still

I must have missed all those flamewars when the Amiga ONE was called a TeronCX by Seehund and the AmigaONE was called a TeronONE way before the AmigaONE was released. Selective memories? The Teron CX did exist.

I believe brotheris was talking about the Escena "AmigaOne", not the Terons later sold by Eyetech, and the official lies at the time that AmigaOS was not only being developed in house by AInc, but that it even ran on this inexistent hardware!

"The Amiga ONE was called a TeronCX by Seehund" WTF? It's not me that calls a Teron CX a Teron CX (or a Teron PX a Teron PX, or a Teron Mini a Teron Mini). It's Mai Logic, the owners and designers of the products.
Some third parties deciding to sell Terons as "Terrasoft Boxers", "Inguard Dragon Servers" or "Eyetech AmigaOnes" is not relevant when discussing the Teron hardware. The hardware which they sell under various trademarks are Terons. Using other labels in the discussion is just confusing, as can be seen when some people mistakenly think that the hardware is different depending on who's selling it.

Brotheris summed up the situation pretty well, though the part about Ben Herman's hopes was just (very plausible) speculation, and he gave good advice to Thom about AW.net.

Re. the "blame game". I'm actually surprised that we see the inevitable backlash against AInc on AW.net this "soon". I thought more people could be strung along in la-la land for a while more. OK, some people are and will always be beyond salvation, but I'm talking about the general attitude. The wrath of the cult has changed directions. Even hinting at that AInc might not be perfect would get you banned here a couple of years ago.

@Brotheris:
Please don't write "BenH" when referring to Ben Hermans. "Outsiders" might get confused. The real BenH (Benjamin Herrenschmidt) is a competent programmer who's largely responsible for that third party OS:es run as well on Macs as they do! ;)

Last edited by Seehund on 28-Mar-2006 at 04:59 PM.

ssolie 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 17:06:45
#216 ]
Elite Member

@brotheris
Quote:
@Thom
AW.net users are angry just because they understand in what deep pit they are. Only praising articles are allowed on other websites, because others "might just ruin momentum when OS4 will be launched".

Vytautas,
I think a vast majority of AW.net users are not 'angry' at all. There are a few vocal posters that didn't like it but that is about it. It is just a column. An opinion. Nothing more.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just go back into my 'deep pit' of despair now. The whole Amiga experience is doomed to fail after all. And failure means someone else must be winning. And winning is the only thing that matters in this world.

Flexinoodle 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 17:37:46
#217 ]

Kinda funny how one article or column, Whatever you want to call it could cause so much bother ?

Fransexy 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 18:23:28
#218 ]
Elite Member

@Flexinoodle

Quote:

Flexinoodle wrote:
Kinda funny how one article or column, Whatever you want to call it could cause so much bother ?

what confirms that the Amiga is not dead.What dead platform causes as much commotion and expectancy with only mentioning it?

Seehund 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 18:33:15
#219 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:

what confirms that the Amiga is not dead.What dead platform causes as much commotion and expectancy with only mentioning it?

It confirms that there are a whole lot of deluded fanatics who prefer the world view given to them by their cult who think that "The Amiga" is not dead, and who are offended when what's obvious to everybody else is held up in front of them.

The Amiga is dead as a doornail. Now let's hope they don't kill AmigaOS by requiring that it must only run on "Amigas". That's some of what the column was about.

Last edited by Seehund on 28-Mar-2006 at 06:35 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 28-Mar-2006 18:43:36
#220 ]
Elite Member

@brotheris
Nice spin there. I don't disagree with all of it, but...

Quote:
AW.net users are angry just because they understand in what deep pit they are.

It's not just AW users, it's OS4 users as well as potential users at this point, but yeah, the situation could be better. To be fair, assuming _something_ does materialize (hardware, any hardware), things will at least improve.

Quote:
Only praising articles are allowed on other websites, because others "might just ruin momentum when OS4 will be launched".

Funny...AW users don't 'control' other websites, but I'd expect most anyone to correct misleading or incorrect articles (yes, or editorials) when they see them, regardless of the subject at hand.

Quote:
What mostly is left are angry AW.net users who are playing blame game - on MorphOS, then on Genesi, then on.....,on..., now AmigaInc.

No comment regarding Hyperion/AInc deal/hoping to go bankrupt etc...other than I don't think anyone is pretending any 'side' was without flaws by any means, and we need to let the painful but stupid 'wars' die already.

Quote:
My advice to you Thom - don't bother defending yourself so much here, you won't brake the ice, because this blame-game postition has been popular for too many years. Sad.

Heh, the 'blame game' happens whenever people that care about something don't get information, answers, or progress, in 'Amigaland' and elsewhere. And certainly, all 3 are lacking in different respects into a lousy combination. Things aren't so different on MZ either, which is unfortunate for them as well.

Regarding Thom's editorial being 'right,' (you stated it was), maybe in al alternate world, but based on at least what we _think_ is reality (IOW, even Hyperion can't contact AInc), there's little to be done, so instead it's simply wishful thinking.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle