Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  26 mins ago
 DWolfman:  35 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Small ACK PowerVixxen Update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
CodeSmith 
Re: Small ACK PowerVixxen Update
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 20:58:10
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Agafaster

My proof is that it normally takes less than 3 months to produce a run of a few hundred PCBs, so if the boards were really in production in January, we'd have seen at least photos of them. Note I did not say that Adam was lying - that would imply an intent to deceit, and I don't believe Adam is out to con anyone. I think Adam was just excited about being about reach a critical stage of the project and jumped the gun, announcing things before they were really in place. Since Adam is just another little fish in the pond when it comes to electronics manufacturing, a lot can go wrong which can be classified as "shit happens". Which is, again, why I will continue to be skeptical of anything short of "the boards are already manufactured". Not because I don't trust people's honesty, but because so much can go wrong if you're not the size of Sony.

Last edited by CodeSmith on 04-Apr-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Samwel 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 21:16:23
#62 ]
Elite Member

@GrumpyOldMan

Quote:

I can only see two problems - first, the A1200 expansion port is very slow, and
quicky becomes a bottleneck if the CPU wants to access the original hardware.

I don't see this as a problem. The A1200 has a full 32bit data path as sufficient
enough for everything AGA has to offer, including onboard IDE, clock port
expansions, PCMCIA expansion and other things.
It's essentially a 24bit address crippled Z3 bus. So it should be able to have
16MB/s throughput at best.

Most users will get a new graphics card for PowerVixxen anyway.. As AGA
modes really sucks for general usage.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

hatschi 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 21:42:50
#63 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I doubt that, I think it's more like he wants to see how much demand there is for the A1200 version before he worries about connectors for it. After all, if he can only source 100 connectors and only 90 people order, there are effectively no supply problems.

I wonder why Adam never decides to submit things like that as a real news item.

He could have a much larger impact by posting this information as a proper news on some major Amiga websites along with a listing of the specifications. There are still many uncertainities about the PV, some questions need to be answered, then even more will show real interest in buying it. It's difficult to make such a decision just based on one article (Safir).

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 22:04:14
#64 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

I think it's interesting that he posted his request for comments at amiga.org and not here... I hope he doesn't consider this to be a hostile site.

hatschi 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 22:09:50
#65 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith
Quote:
I think it's interesting that he posted his request for comments at amiga.org and not here... I hope he doesn't consider this to be a hostile site.

Yes, I was also a bit surprised. But I don't know why he should consider this as a hostile site.

I just think he's to busy with other stuff and doesn't even think or know about it.
On IRC, he was even asking something as "How has OS4 been shaping up over the last little while?"
I was really surprised to hear something like that from somebody who is supposedly "porting" OS4 to his hardware himself.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 22:25:35
#66 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

From my understanding of OS4's architecture, what Adam needed to do to get his board working with OS4 was to write a HAL and some device drivers, which should not be rocket science for someone capable of designing an accelerator board. Unless those APIs have changed (so that Hyperion would have had to contact him), I can easily see how there may not have been any contact between the two for months.

wegster 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 22:32:51
#67 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:
On IRC, he was even asking something as "How has OS4 been shaping up over the last little while?"
I was really surprised to hear something like that from somebody who is supposedly "porting" OS4 to his hardware himself.

Yeah, but even when ud4 was released, the current CVS snapshot was still ahead in quite a few respects, and as we're also reminded occasionally by beta-testers and their 'Oh, that's not available yet?' comments, it's not _too_ surprising I suppose.

Hatschi - hmm, ok, now I've got to figure out who you are on irc?
(time to go look at IP logs.. )

hatschi 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 23:00:09
#68 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith
Quote:
From my understanding of OS4's architecture, what Adam needed to do to get his board working with OS4 was to write a HAL and some device drivers, which should not be rocket science for someone capable of designing an accelerator board.

Yep, that's also my understanding of it. But still, he's on the betatester mailing list, so it surprised me quiet a bit that he didn't seem to know of the current developments (Pre4) - basically, that's the "market" he's targeting at.

@wegster
Quote:
Hatschi - hmm, ok, now I've got to figure out who you are on irc? (time to go look at IP logs..

Don't scare me, are you already digging out your Inspector outfit?
I guess I'll better have to take off the mask myself.

Last edited by hatschi on 04-Apr-2006 at 11:04 PM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 23:07:54
#69 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:
But still, he's on the betatester mailing list, so it surprised me quiet a bit that he didn't seem to know of the current developments (Pre4)

That's true, isn't it. Maybe it's like Wegster says, and he knows what's going on, just not what's public knowledge. I guess Hyperion is entitled to a few trade secrets

Benji 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 23:12:08
#70 ]
Cult Member

Is there anywhere on this site to register likely interest in the product?

I would certainly like the A4000 version...

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 4-Apr-2006 23:33:28
#71 ]

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@hatschi

I guess he wanted to avoid the usual: "Crappy classic upgrade", "Too low specs", "it's not an A1" etc BS that often comes up in this forum.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 0:23:55
#72 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

I think you'll find that the low specs argument usually come from either those advertising Pegasos hardware (and it's usually levelled at A1s and uA1s) or people arguing for x86. Anyone complaining that it's not an A1 should be ignored because anyone with a functioning brain knows that A1s haven't been manufactured in quite a while and likely never again will be.

wegster 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 1:18:03
#73 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:
Don't scare me, are you already digging out your Inspector outfit?

Hey now, don't confuse me with that person (inspector outfit), I beg of you!

I believe I know who you are, just not who you might be on IRC.

And err, yes, I'll confirm you are not Nicholas, lest that start up again!

Samwel 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 4:46:10
#74 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:

I guess he wanted to avoid the usual: "Crappy classic upgrade", "Too low specs", "it's not an A1" etc BS that often comes up in this forum.

Please find me those links as I have never heard anyone say something like that.

What people might have been saying though is "why stay with classic when OS4 is so good".
Seriously though, it would have been great if all +4000 members of this forum owned
OS4. The software base would grow faster then. Also we might have seen more commercial
ventures appear.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

tomazkid 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 5:41:06
#75 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:
I guess I'll better have to take off the mask myself.

Yes, let's see the real Hatschi

hatschi 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 7:01:42
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel
Quote:
What people might have been saying though is "why stay with classic when OS4 is so good". Seriously though, it would have been great if all +4000 members of this forum owned
OS4. The software base would grow faster then.

There are many users of Classic PPC hardware out there who are eagerly awaiting the release of OS4 final for their Miggy's. It's just a matter of releasing it. The user base will probably double instantly. Most of them have had their reasons for staying with the Classics. The unavailability of A1s, their previous price tag and problems, the preference of something "final" instead of Prereleases...
...or they just didn't want to dump/sell all of their old hardware since they still need them for various purposes (e.g. WHDload).

In this respect, I see the Powervixxen as a nice solution since it's relatively cheap, fexible in design, people can re-use some of their old hardware (e.g. Mediator/Voodoo) and most importantly, it runs OS4.

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 14:02:05
#77 ]

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:

Please find me those links as I have never heard anyone say something like that.

Quote:

FuZion:
I don't wanna start a fight but I can't understand why more people can't let go of the classic a little more.

I know there are new boards coming for classic but new hardware designers must find it extremely difficult to justify creating new hardware when so many of us can't let go of the old hardware.

I chose to order & purchase an A1 LONG before it's release to try & contribute to a new platform & show that there just might be a customer out there.

Quote:

Samwel:
@WOSPUPOS4
There's no hostility, at all. It's just that if everybody with classics
choose to not upgrade OS4 will die with the first version, simple as that.

@Crumb
That's why Hyperion shouldn't release OS4 for classics.
If everyone keeps their classics the new hardware manufacturer will not
survive and OS4 dies with it.

I know it's too late to not release it now as they have promised for several
years to do so.

Quote:

BigD:
A Classic OS4.0 is a waste of time and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to upgrade to A1's if the price is fair!

That is from my thread here OS4 for classics

ssolie 
Posted on 5-Apr-2006 15:46:41
#78 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith
Quote:

I'm quite sure he doesn't care in the slightest about such stuff. He knows as we all do that most classic-related stuff is at a.org while more a1-related stuff is at aw.net.

@all
I happen to know Adam is a very, very busy guy and he doesn't have time for the usual vapid drivel we all spew in these web forums day in and day out. Being regulars, we tend to gather tidbits of info. over time and inevitably detect patterns which translate into a mood or feel for the forums and the site overall. So although we feel there is a certain mood (e.g. hostility or friendliness) to the virtual place Adam has no such connection. All he knows is there are more classic-centric guys at a.org and that is the target customer base he wanted to query at this particular point in time.

I'm not sure at what point I became so involved in web forums that I was able to catch the 'feel' of a place but it did require a significant time investment. It seems the more time I invest in reading web forums the more emotionally involved I become as well. There is a balance to be found for each of us. I think when you start worrying that some guy posted in another web forum because he doesn't like your favourite web forum it is time to stop and think what is going on. You may be moving into obsession territory. Time for a break.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle