Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 Birbo:  10 mins ago
 clint:  13 mins ago
 pixie:  40 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 VooDoo:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rogue 
Re: Is Genesi still intersted in Amiga market?
Posted on 8-May-2006 17:06:28
#141 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@wonea

I think I get what you mean, but writing blogs doesn't nescessarily mean interest. FWIW, there's also os4.hyperion-entertainment.biz

Profile     Report this post  
samface 
Posted on 8-May-2006 17:51:13
#142 ]

@gary_c

Quote:

gary_c wrote:
@samface

Quote:
the backstabbing company that tried to take over the rights to the entire AmigaOS product line through a lawsuit using an old license agreement for the AmigaDE that was originally issued to one of their former business ventures in Germany called "Thendic"

"Backstabbing"? It was Amiga, Inc. that failed to abide by its contract, remember, not Genesi.

Let me rephrase that: They "failed to abide" by the contract they once upon a time signed with Thendic GmbH in Germany, a company that went bancrupt prior to Genesi's lawsuit that never bothered to inform Amiga Inc. that Genesi had somehow become the new licensee. How they could have possibly complied under those circumstances goes beyond me and any kind of logical reasoning. I don't think Genesi even bothered with making a formal request to Amiga Inc. to atleast give them a chance to comply.

Quote:
This was verified by the court. Yes, Genesi was opportunistic in requesting that the court's decision be extended to AmigaOS, but the judge denied the request.

And after that, Genesi hasn't even bothered with enforcing what the court actually gave them a right to enforce, ie a port of AmigaDE to the Pegasos.

Quote:
Case closed.

Well, obviously your friend BBRV here doesn't seem to agree on that part.

Quote:
As for your "old ... agreement ... originally issued...to Thendic" comment, it was no problem to the court that Genesi continued in place of Thendic as the principal parties were the same. It seems this is an issue only for you. I think most of us will go along with the judge's interpretation as the common sense one.

The reason that it was OK for Genesi to join the plaintiffs was because the license was also valid for partners of Thendic GmbH, not because the license was transfered to Genesi. Therefore, when the license agreement between Thendic and Amiga Inc. is terminated, that means Genesi is also without a license.

Quote:
Personally, I don't expect Amiga, Inc. to be signing any agreements with any company for AmigaOS in desktop computers, unfortunately.

I guess you're up for a surprise then...

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

Hans 
Posted on 8-May-2006 18:22:21
#143 ]
Elite Member

@SlayeR__

Quote:

SlayeR__ wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
1500 unique IP addresses visiting a blog within 12 hours does say something.

Yes it says that at least 1500 people looked at the blog, says nothing about interest in HW.

1500 people who linked to the page after it was linked to from hardware related threads. I'm not suggesting that all 1500 want to buy hardware but they most likely do have an interest in it. If I wan't interested in OS4 and its associated hardware, I wouldn't have read that thread and wouldn't have linked to BBRV's blog.

I would say that 1500 unique IP's visiting this page gives a better indication of interest than saying, "well we have 4252 members on AW.net."

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 8-May-2006 18:29:15
#144 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Regardless of how many people here would or wouldn't like OS4 to run on Pegasos hardware, the Amiga community is not in the position to grant the licenses required. I hope that people at Amiga Inc. read this forum and the latest threads on OS4 hardware (including this one) and are taking what is being said into account. Ultimately though, you will have to talk with Amiga Inc. directly for anything to happen.

Hans

smithy 
Re: Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Posted on 8-May-2006 18:59:52
#145 ]

@Bodie_CI5

Quote:

Bodie_CI5 wrote:
Hi smithy,

I knew the red/blue war never ended.

Stop talking nonsense.

[/quote]

I didn't write that ("I knew the red/blue........").

Quote:

A sentiment expressed by one person certainly does not mean that such things are ideals upheld by all people in the manner in which you choose to depict and interpret them.

Dunno what you mean?

billt 
Posted on 8-May-2006 19:10:09
#146 ]
Elite Member

@samface

Quote:
I don't think Genesi even bothered with making a formal request to Amiga Inc. to atleast give them a chance to comply.

Remember that at the time, Amiga Inc. couldnt' afford a lawyer, and so could not by proper procedure inform the judge that there was no contract with a company named "Genesi" or that the company named "Thendic" no longer existed. Without proper procedure, the judge deemed any evidence submitted by Bill and/or Fleecy directly effectively didn't exist, and thus Amiga Inc. never actually said such things in court and had no way whatsoever to defend themselves to any degree whatsoever, it sounded like the judge decided in favor of Genesi by default since Amiga Inc. effectively couldn't do or say anything at all. It's possible things may have ended differently if Amiga Inc. had the capacity to follow procedures to submit evidence and have it taken into consideration for the judgement. As it was, the judge did not consider that Thendic was gone or that Genesi was a new company due to the rules of the court. (Hey, if Genesi isnt' responsible to pay Thendic's commitments to some MorphOS coders because Thendic is gone, it seems to me that for the same reasons Amiga Inc. shouldn't be responsible to Genesi for contracts with Thendic, but unfortunetaly common sense and legal proceedings dont' always converge)

I don't think Genesi wanted to give Amiga Inc. a chance to comply. Remember, Bill McEwen was saying things about the legality of MorphOS at the time, trash talking genesi, etc. and there really wasn't any good relationship between the two companies back then, why would Bill Buck want to be friendly in return? (I don't know anythign about McEwen's statements about MOS being right or wrong, just that they were ticking each other off quite a bit)

Turambar 
Posted on 8-May-2006 19:22:39
#147 ]

@smithy

Bodie_CI5's reply was to Atheist i believe. Confusion seems to have been caused by broken quiote tags.

samface 
Posted on 8-May-2006 19:50:23
#148 ]

@billt

I know and remember it all. Genesi knew exactly what they were doing. They had waited for the perfect opportunity and filed their lawsuit as soon as it became clear to them that Amiga Inc. were unable to legally defend themselves. They did this by giving legal aid to certain former Amiga Inc. employees that sued Amiga Inc. and won by "walk-over".

A turn of events that Genesi didn't expect was when KMOS and Hyperion stepped in and prevented Genesi from taking over the AmigaOS IP. Some people call it a "shell game", I call it a neccessary counter measurement to Genesi's "shell game". It was a message to Genesi that they are just as capable of playing that game too and that Genesi was going to have to do way better than that. All Genesi got out of this mess was a court ruling that Genesi didn't even bother with trying to enforce. AFAIK, Amiga Inc. simply sent them a notice of termination (or whatever it's called) giving them 1 month to reply if they didn't want to license to be terminated. A reply never showed up which means the license agreement, including the court ruling, is now null and void. That is according to a public statement by Garry Hare.

Jacken 
Posted on 8-May-2006 20:11:53
#149 ]

@samface

Short: I agree with you..

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 8-May-2006 21:08:21
#150 ]

@samface

Quote:
A turn of events that Genesi didn't expect was when KMOS and Hyperion stepped in

Hogwash! Hyperion had nothing to do with any of it.

Quote:
became clear to them that Amiga Inc. were unable to legally defend themselves.

KMOS were on the scene and they had all the funding of their Dutch VC partners.

I imagine if Genesi won OS4 in the courtcase we would all be happily running OS4 on our G4 Pegasos II's alongside our MOS brothers and sisters and the forums would have been buzzing with excitement about the new PEGIII quad PPC board. Hyperion would also be happy because they would actually be selling OS4.

IMHO of course..

wonea 
Posted on 8-May-2006 21:31:07
#151 ]

What is definitively the solution? I would personally love to run AOS4 on ppc or otherwise hardware. I would have no problem using an ecrypted USB dongle or PCI Card for authorisation purposes if it were to be sold seperately.

Last edited by wonea on 08-May-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Last edited by wonea on 08-May-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:09:35
#152 ]
Elite Member

@smithy

Oh my God, sorry, that was NOT directed at you, but at Atheist. Sorry for that I will rectify it now. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

smithy 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:17:47
#153 ]

@Bodie_CI5

Quote:

Bodie_CI5 wrote:
@smithy

Oh my God, sorry, that was NOT directed at you, but at Atheist. Sorry for that I will rectify it now. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

No probs... probably my fault actually - I was trying to delete some levels of quotes and I was having trouble matching up the quote tags

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:19:49
#154 ]
Elite Member

@smithy

hehe, cheers man, again sorry for the mix up, I should have paid a little more attention.

Thanks Turumbar for knowing what I was getting at.

Frags 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:28:18
#155 ]
Cult Member

Having read the thread I think there`s one thing getting lost: We`re computer USERS, I don`t care who did what with whose ip and which lawers did what to whoever, I want to play Quake, edit my user-startup, install stuff and so on... I just don`t care what happens behind the scenes, I only want to buy a computer with the os I want. Doesn`t everyone else?

- insert profound text here -

ssolie 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:34:31
#156 ]
Elite Member

@wonea
Quote:
What is definitively the solution? I would personally love to run AOS4 on ppc or otherwise hardware. I would have no problem using an ecrypted USB dongle or PCI Card for authorisation purposes. What will it take to get an Official AOS4 release?

Step 1. Direct and honest communication between Genesi and Amiga Inc.
Step 2. Doesn't matter because step 1 hasn't happened yet.

Instead, what happens now is bbrv post a thought or two in some blog somewhere, post a couple of quips in a forum or two somewhere else and then hope some third party will pick up on the idea and approach both Genesi and Amiga Inc. to make it all magically happen. Not the most clever of plans one would think but it seems to be the best plan they've come up with since the infamous law suit was settled.

samface 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:43:03
#157 ]

@Colin_Camper

Quote:
Hogwash! Hyperion had nothing to do with any of it.

Sure they did, they testified against Genesi.

Giovanni 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:45:06
#158 ]

@ssolie

Quote:
Step 1. Direct and honest communication between Genesi and Amiga Inc. Step 2. Doesn't matter because step 1 hasn't happened yet.

Instead, what happens now is bbrv post a thought or two in some blog somewhere, post a couple of quips in a forum or two somewhere else and then hope some third party will pick up on the idea and approach both Genesi and Amiga Inc. to make it all magically happen. Not the most clever of plans one would think but it seems to be the best plan they've come up with since the infamous law suit was settled.

Exactly.

Giovanni 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:46:07
#159 ]

@samface

Quote:
Sure they did, they testified against Genesi.

Yes, they did.

polka. 
Posted on 8-May-2006 22:47:41
#160 ]

@Frags
Quote:
Having read the thread I think there`s one thing getting lost: We`re computer USERS, I don`t care who did what with whose ip and which lawers did what to whoever, I want to play Quake, edit my user-startup, install stuff and so on... I just don`t care what happens behind the scenes, I only want to buy a computer with the os I want. Doesn`t everyone else?

Fully agree on that. I simply do_not_care. As I already said some days ago, even if I would have to buy the hardware from Satan himself.
I'm quiet fed up with hearing the same old story again and again. Why don't we at least _try_ to look forward, although this is quiet difficult. Always starting with the same *beep* again and again (samface's story of "poor innocent" Amiga Inc. and "evil" bbrv trying to take them over) does _not_ help, that's for sure.

Last edited by polka. on 08-May-2006 at 10:48 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle