Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  21 mins ago
 Hammer:  30 mins ago
 Birbo:  45 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
afxgroup 
Re: Why AmigaOS Should Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:18:23
#101 ]

@polka.

[OT]
nono.. non brutta nel senso che lui è brutto.. per l'amor di dio.. è che era sfocata.. meglio questa..
[/OT]

god.. back to Helgis..

Profile     Report this post  
Tomas 
Re: Why AmigaOS SHOULDN'T Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:19:02
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
Could someone make a poll about something similar about x86? Hopefully Hyperion will finally wake up and understand that Amiga won't survive without supporting x86.

Has already been done atleast 20 times now and most seem to want a x86 port everytime.. But that dosent seem to change the stand of amiga inc or hyperion. I have feeling that hyperion is forced to port it for ppc due to licensing issues with Amiga INC.

polka. 
Re: Why AmigaOS SHOULDN'T Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:21:20
#103 ]

@Tomas
Quote:
Has already been done atleast 20 times now and most seem to want a x86 port everytime..

Enough with x86-polls! The port-to-PS3-poll-season has just started!

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:25:15
# ]

@jahc

They might have similar stuff in pipeline, yes, but Rogue already explained why x86 port would never see the light of day for AmigaOS. And keeping Amiga special by going PPC and seeing where PPC is heading, makes this the best choice for the Amiga...

Report this post  
Tomas 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:26:13
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue
Quote:
I am sorry your blew your PSU, but I'm sorry you would blow things up regardless of the CPU.

But atleast one can get a replacement if something blows up in your x86 box. With the AmigaONE that is entirely not possible, since the hardware does not exist for end users.

I honestly dont understand why OS4 is still being ported to non existing hardware, when it instead could be ported to something a user can actually buy. If AmigaINC is stubborn that they dont give you a license for x86, then that just proves that their only intention is to bury AmigaOS again and instead focus on their shi*ty amiga nowhere.

polka. 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:29:01
#106 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
They might have similar stuff in pipeline, yes, but Rogue already explained why x86 port would never see the light of day for AmigaOS.

How would he be able to say that without even knowing what exactly will happen after the release of OS4.0 final?

falemagn 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:29:36
#107 ]

@Helgis

Quote:

And keeping Amiga special by going PPC and seeing where PPC is heading, makes this the best choice for the Amiga

Oh dear, you surely are easy to convince. Till the next blow up, that is.

~~ Henry Ford

Tomas 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:30:49
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis
Quote:
This is no longer about my PSU being dead. So many in here want AmigaOS on x86. Why is that a problem? If Hyperion is not going to ever port AmigaOS4 to x86, i'm sure Amiga Inc will find another company or partners to do the job...

I dont think you understand the situation.. It is AmigaINC that is the problem here. They refuse to give any other hardware besides the AmigaONE a license. People have tried to only get no replies or negative ones. I think the main reason is because they want to get rid of the current AmigaOS brand and rename AmigaAnywhere to AmigaOS instead. Just look at the latest press releases regarding parners for AA and then you see that they actually call AmigaAnywhere for AmigaOS.

Their policy is to kill the classic amiga.
The licensing scheme is just a way to kill it without actually admitting so.

@hyperion
This is not about which cpu is best, this is all abot which hardware is currently avaliable and the costs of this new beast.
If you did infact confirm that there was indeed new ppc hardware capable of running OS4 to be released, then i think alot of us would shut up. But you have stated that you havent even seen one of these announced projects, so you havent even got a prototype to port it to.
If even the announced troika and ack is released, it wont even run OS4 since the porting job hasnt even started.

I just want a damn Amiga!!

Last edited by Tomas on 08-Jun-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:48:27
#109 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
Don't worry. I know now PPC is the way. No need to worry anymore

You should learn to form your OWN opinion instead of acting like a sheep changing opinions depending on the person you spoke to last.
Just because someone states their opinions, dosent mean you should blindly believe and follow them.

It is just silly to state that PPC is the future, then change it to PPC sucks and x86 is the future while then 5 mins later again you change to being pro PPC?

Tomas 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:56:43
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
There's way too many trolls posting on AmigaWorld.Net these days.

Well no wonder you think that, since your definition of a troll is someone with a different opinion of you. You should face the fact that not everyone agrees with you all the time.

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 14:58:15
# ]

@Tomas

Point taken. This means i would have to stop drinking I agree with you...

Report this post  
polka. 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 15:02:40
#112 ]

@Helgis
Quote:
Point taken. This means i would have to stop drinking

So you were already drunk at 9:13:28 AM when you started this thread?

elatour 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 15:42:57
#113 ]
Cult Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:
PLEASE get it into your head that Hyperion do not have any say in the matter.

They only have a license for PPC. They only have a license for 4.0. Beyond that, it is still Amiga Inc's call.

Not so. You are making an assumption that they don't have one because they can't get one, when the fact is that the main reason is that they are not nor have they ever been interested in x86 - "because x86 sucks" to paraphrase them - , so they never so much attempted to apply for a license to port to this processor architecture. They have stated as much many times. Also, to my knowledge, Amiga Inc. have never stated how they felt about x86 for AmigaOS, classic or otherwise, or state that they would never grant an x86 license. The reality is that nobody knows what Amiga Inc. would have done / would do in the duture if a legitimate business plan had been / was brought to them along with a request to license the OS for porting to x86.

Oxygenet 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 15:54:41
#114 ]

@jahc

Of course it won't be reverse, that would mean certain people would be stating they've made a mistake and that will NEVER happen ........

To be a success means acknowledging when you've made a mistake and changing course for the greater good - failing to acknowledge your mistakes means you'll keep repeating them and never take a step forward again, only slipping on the same patches of ice and no matter how hard you push you don't move more than 2 steps before slipping back 3.

Chris

Tomas 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 16:02:08
#115 ]
Elite Member

@elatour
Quote:
They have stated as much many times. Also, to my knowledge, Amiga Inc. have never stated how they felt about x86 for AmigaOS, classic or otherwise, or state that they would never grant an x86 license.

They have indeed not stated that, which i guess is because it would make them look worse than they do now. But the thing is that people have contacted them regarding licenses without even getting a reply. Also the really funny part is that Amiga INC has stated that you should contact Hyperion regarding licenses, while Hyperion say that you should contact Amiga INC.

So how the hell do one get a license?

yoodoo2 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 16:07:37
#116 ]

@elatour

Quote:
The reality is that nobody knows what Amiga Inc. would have done / would do in the duture if a legitimate business plan had been / was brought to them along with a request to license the OS for porting to x86.

Well they have stated that future development after 4. will be "in-house" and that there are no more opportunities to license AmigaOS beyond 4. (for 4. queries they claim to direct people to Hyperion.

The assumption (albeit an unpleasant one for most of us) is that after the current contract is fulfilled they will take the OS back, either to flog as a reasonably healthy and complete product to the highest bidder, or, more likely, allow to gather dust on the shelf while they use the AmigaOS brand for their Anywhere stuff.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

vortexau 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 16:13:21
#117 ]
Elite Member

(Comment inspired by 'certain' Bob Dylan lyrics)

How many times must it be explained
Before that poster can comprehend?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear fellow amigans cry?
Yes, 'n' how many times can 'a poster' turn his head,
Pretending he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Laura Bush Sets All-Time Record, Flip-Flops in Just 25 Seconds

Quote:
Yesterday in an interview with CNN’s John King, First Lady Laura Bush said “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with singing [the national anthem] in Spanish.” King then reminded the First Lady that her husband said the national anthem should only be sung in English. She quickly reversed her position, telling King “I think it should be sung in English, of course.” Just 25 seconds had elapsed since her first answer.

Now WHO does First Lady Laura Bush remind us of?

Skunkfish 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 16:17:43
#118 ]

@yoodoo2

Just because they have a license for PowerPC doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't also get a license off Amiga Inc to port the OS to x86?

It just seems like they're no even willing to give their own OS a chance in the desktop market. If I were in there position, having spent thousands of hours of time creating OS4 I would want to get it to as many people as possible, and make as much money as possible.

I would have written a business proposal for Amiga Inc, detailing the current problems that OS4 faces on PowerPC, and how an x86 port would result in far greater sales and therefore profit for both parties.

It's in Amiga Inc's favour too, since I assume they take a cut from each copy of OS4 sold. I can't see OS4 selling more than 5,000 copies over the next 4 to 5 years tied to custom-made, out of date and overpriced hardware, but if it was made available for x86 I'm sure it would a multitude more.

£500 for OS4 and hardware comparative to a 4 year old PC, or £80 or so for OS4 running on state-of-the-art x86 hardware which many people already own. Even if OS4 on x86 would only run on select few motherboards you could still get a motherboard and CPU that would outpace the AmigaOne for a quarter of the price.

Skunkfish

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 16:29:20
# ]

@polka.

Drunk on too much Coke

Report this post  
polka. 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 16:36:24
#120 ]

@yoodoo2
Quote:
Well they have stated that future development after 4. will be "in-house" and that there are no more opportunities to license AmigaOS beyond 4.

Do you have any links/references to this statement? When was it made? It's been along time ago since we heard anything "official" regarding OS4.0 from them. (No, I don't include HMetals last post "that they haven't received a status update regarding OS4 from Hyperion" in that).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle