Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  14 mins ago
 amigagr:  17 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  27 mins ago
 Hypex:  30 mins ago
 amigakit:  43 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  58 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Why AmigaOS Should Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 17:24:30
# ]

@elatour

Agree. That was the best and most powerful expression of reality that should have been said to Hyperion a long time ago...

Don't get me wrong. I love PPC, but we also have to be realistic

Report this post  
elatour 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 17:36:43
#142 ]
Cult Member

@Tomas

Quote:
But the thing is that people have contacted them regarding licenses without even getting a reply.

Well, I don't know WHAT to believe regarding this issue. There have been threads stating this and many other recent ones claiming that they are still indeed replying to people and some even claiming that they said they might consider an x86 port in the future. So like I said, I don't know WHAT to believe. Adam from ACK Software Controls said he does not have a license yet but says he's not worried about getting one! So what gives? Is it or isn't it possible to get a license? I suspect that it all depends on how solid your business plan is, whether you have solid backing with $$$ and whether AmigaInc. thinks it might be complementary to them and not compete with their future interests.

Last edited by elatour on 08-Jun-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 17:49:36
# ]

@Rogue and Enthiza

Take a good look to how this topic has proceeded, Hyperion. Even how much many of us love AmigaOS on PPC, we have to be realistic. I don't mean that you should delay the release of OS4 for PPC because of x86...

I meant when AmigaOS4 actually is finish. Then port it to x86...

I also know you will never do that for some uncertain, dreamworld-behaviour reason that was never good argumented from you, but i know there will be others to port AmigaOS to x86 when been given license to do it...

You said that x86 doesn't exist in the embedded market. Actually it does and several can prove that showing you links or something similar. A lot of other companies are at least very realistic and they know the reality. It's nice to live in a dreamworld, as you seem to be so keen on doing, but realism makes the clear difference between fantasy and reality. Even how much i love your ideas and hopes, we have to be realistic, and saying that PPC is the only way is a bit outside reality, actually...

How would you survive as a company if only focusing on writing and porting stuffs to PPC? You wouldn't even last for 5 years. If you're going to earn a lot of money and being on the pair with the biggest companies in the IT-business today, you need to face reality, and you need to follow that reality in order to hang onto the future...

But then again, it remains to be seen how you can prove that PPC really is the future for the Amiga, and that x86 won't be necessary for AmigaOS. I would love to see how you are able to prove that to all of us. If you can prove it, with your partners, then we shall appologize on our knees and say we were wrong. Lets make a deal on that..

I know it's deadly easy to claim that AmigaOS is only a hobbyish OS. Well, it still is, but isn't the whole idea to move away from only being a hobbyish OS, to become a OS in the same line as Windows and MacOS X today? To be on the pair with them and perhaps again someday become the leisure of computing number one again?
PPC alone won't allow that, but supporting also x86 would DEFINITELY allow that...

As you see, this debate about x86 has far from been ended. It's just the beginning...

Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Last edited by Helgis on 08-Jun-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Report this post  
Desler 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:07:47
#144 ]

@Helgis
Wauw !! So you changed your mind AGAIN... You must be going for a world record... Dude no offence but changing mind every 5 seconds dosent really gonna make people take you serious

hatschi 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:13:20
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis
Quote:
To be on the pair with them and perhaps again someday become the leisure of computing number one again?

I did some research for you Helgis and made a google search for "leisure of computing".
Guess what? Zero hits. Not found.

There is no "leisure of computing", so how do you think Amiga can become number one in something that doesn't even exist yet?

Curty 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:19:52
#146 ]

@Helgis

Dont see the point in this thread,
done too many times,
sames things said.

Suppose x86 would be handy for you though, the amount of rare A1's you destroy.

Tomas 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:25:24
#147 ]
Elite Member

@Curty
Quote:

I do.. Better to express our desire than sitting back quietly and watch our beloved OS die.
The more people who scream out, the bigger the chance that someone will do something about it.

hatschi 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:29:14
#148 ]
Elite Member

@Curty
Quote:

An interesting insight into Helgis' psyche?

nzv58l 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:33:12
#149 ]

@Helgis

Ok! So let's look at the end result if it were possible to go x86:

Would you be willing to wait another 2 years for a port to x86, because everything would have to be rewritten. 2 years is actually quite conservative?

Would you not be dissapointed if it did not run on your current PC because Hyperion does not have time support the vast amount of PC boards out there?

If it had to be a custom board, because other x86 boards go out of production too fast for Hyperion to keep up, would it be OK if it didn't have the latest and greatest x86 PC, Latest port, connectors etc...?

And what if the price of this new board with the x86(hopefully at least an AMD please) was not that different from what the eyetech boards were?

Would it be worth Hyperions time and the cash to go through with it?

Would there not be a ton of direct comparisons from Windows to AmigaOS4?

I think the real answer to all these questions is NO.

Fransexy 
Re: SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:37:44
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
NO!!!!!!

DaveAE 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:38:27
#151 ]

@Helgis

Yes (depending on the current title of the thread).

HammerD 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 18:43:25
#152 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis

Hi Helgis, I agree I'd love to see OS4 on X86. It would solve all of our hardware availability issues. Problem is Hyperion has no license to port OS4 to X86. If someone wants OS4 on X86 they would have to approach Amiga Inc. and secure the necessary license. Which probably isn't the easiest thing in the world to do :)

I think the original premise to use PPC was the right one in 1997. Back when OS4 started (was it 2001?) I think it was probably still the right choice. Today it's different. Apple moved to Intel for a number of reasons, but certainly one of the big ones was Intel's roadmap. Steve jobs was probably privy to what Intel was working on at the time (what, 2 years ago?) and now we can see the results with the Core Duo architecture and the upcoming Core 2 (due to be released July 23rd). The benchmarks are blowing away AMD's fastest offerings...I think Jobs made the right decision to go with Intel.

Personally I would have preferred to see OS4 based on Amithlon and then eventually developed to run totally native. After all, OS4 did start out mostly 68K anyway, so many of the components could have run on Amithlon. Gradually everything could have been ported and we probably would be at the same point right now with OS4 on X86 as we are today on PPC, except I believe we probably would have double the number of users. No one has been able to buy new PPC OS4 hardware for what...a year? Hopefully the situation will improve with the ACK Controls products and the Trokia stuff.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm sure the people who made the decision to go PPC at the time thought it made sense, based on the current market conditions.

Bottom line is, we have to live with PPC for now. Unless someone or some company is able to negociate a port to X86 with Amiga Inc. and Hyperion's blessing...by the way, did I mention that pigs can't fly? :)

jkirk 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:01:12
#153 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Quote:
Would you not be dissapointed if it did not run on your current PC because Hyperion does not have time support the vast amount of PC boards out there?

i thought this myth was dead. geez i tell you what, go get a new motherboard and install win 95,98,nt, or me to it. sure some of the drivers are outdated or plain don't work but that is the responsibility of the hardware vendors NOT MICROSOFT. but the os works just fine despite this. so stop claiming that hyperion must make a new version or rewrite os4 for every board.

Quote:
Would you be willing to wait another 2 years for a port to x86, because everything would have to be rewritten. 2 years is actually quite conservative?

rewrite the kernel and emulate everything else until the entire os is ported then.

Last edited by jkirk on 08-Jun-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Last edited by jkirk on 08-Jun-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Leo 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:09:51
#154 ]

Quote:

Oh, yeah, it is over. It actually never started, simply because x86 was never the plan.

What was the plan ? To have no hardware to run OS4 ?

Leo.

AmiGame 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:11:06
#155 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
Quote:
SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
NO!!!!!!

Agree.
PPC is fine with me and I consider "going ex-86" a mistake.

Jerry

- A1XE-G4 up and runing with:
512MB Ram / 200GB and 80GB HardDisks on Sii0680.
AOS4 Final Update / AmiZilla 0.1 Alpha

Fransexy 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:14:18
#156 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:
so stop claiming that hyperion must make a new version or rewrite os4 for every board.

Yes they must if we want AOS as fast, responsible and compact as all we all know and love.Or have you intend to boot Beos on a motherboard not fully supported? yes, it is good but not as good as it is running it on a fully supported motherboard

T_Bone 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:16:16
#157 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:

Helgis wrote:
@jahc

Having Hyperion to not even explain why they don't want AmigaOS on x86, is just simply patethic and the question might be if Hyperion does have a realistic future for the Amiga anyway?

No, they don't. They never did. they only signed on for the 4.x AmigaOS. Anything in the future will be by someone else.

When AmigaOS is ported to x86, it won't be Hyperion doing it.

Fransexy 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:18:19
#158 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

Quote:
Names please... AROS has it's plus points above AmigaOS 4, and namely of being in x86, 68k and ppc land... and it is open source, which most think that might give it the edge...

Sure, come on clever! where i can download the pre-build 68k an PPC version? exact nowhere

jkirk 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:21:54
#159 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@jkirk

Quote:
so stop claiming that hyperion must make a new version or rewrite os4 for every board.

Yes they must if we want AOS as fast, responsible and compact as all we all know and love.Or have you intend to boot Beos on a motherboard not fully supported? yes, it is good but not as good as it is running it on a fully supported motherboard

i understand that if you want to optimize for each motherboard that would take time BUT that is not necessary to make it run in a particular mobo. that is my point.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

T_Bone 
Posted on 8-Jun-2006 19:22:57
#160 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:

Helgis wrote:
@Boot_WB

Thanks Yes, no enemies

@All

Yep, seems that PPC RISC really is the future, and i'm very happy for that

If all women were PPC, then we would be even more happy

I like my women x69

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle