Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  39 secs ago
 kolla:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 BigD:  25 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 jPV:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
jorkany 
Re: SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 13:40:44
#281 ]
Cult Member

@polka.
Quote:
I see, it's better to hide away the OS and hardware because it might be copied?! Deliberately _not_ selling it in volumes but keeping sales low since the hardware is either not available or extremely expensive? Deliberately choosing to make less profits because the software could be pirated?

You gotta admit, so far this "strategy" seems to be working very well!

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 13:57:09
# ]

@All

It would be very sad if PPC never becomes cheap and easy again as it was in the early days when Apple actually focused a lot in it...

Yes, Amiga today is based on PC-hardware, so it doesn't matter if AmigaOS runs on x86? Okay, there is the question of piracy, but that could also happens in the PPC-world as well. Nobody is perfect...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:02:34
# ]

@Rogue and Enthiza

Well, take a close look at how this topic has proceeded. I was at page 8 when i wrote something to you the last time. Now we are into page 15 and still this topic is going strong. Do you realize what this means? And it's even more funny that you choose not to comment more on this, by just leaving the topic with half-answered answers that don't have valuable reasons in them...

As much as i love to see PPC getting cheap and easy to get just like with x86, i find it very hard to ever happen. I would love to be proven wrong on this, but it seems rather unlikely...I'm just being realistic. You should try that too...

I'm however very grateful of your development of AmigaOS4 for PPC. If you only could do the same excellent job with an x86-port of AmigaOS4, it would be even better...

Report this post  
polka. 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:05:21
#284 ]

@Helgis
Quote:
It would be very sad if PPC never becomes cheap and easy again as it was in the early days when Apple actually focused a lot in it...

Why would it be sad? What's so special about the CPU itself? What exactly do you mean when you are talking about your "love for PPC"? Are you really sure that it has anything to do with the CPU at all and not with the OS? I like the "Amiga" because of the OS and could care less how the CPU traces are arranged. You wouldn't even _notice it_ when you had OS4 running on x86 (except maybe that it would be even faster and there would be money left in your purse for buying OS4 software). So what is this mysterious "love of the PPC" about exactly? Are you sure it's not the OS that you "love"?

Zardoz 
Re: Why AmigaOS Should Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:06:40
#285 ]
Team Member

@Insanity

The Itanium is not compatible with anything and has problems with compilers. The Opteron is VERY widely used and is faster than the freaking dual 970 I paid £1500 for. Processor speed is not everything but it helps. Especially with the kind of multitasking I do...

Zardoz 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:07:36
#286 ]
Team Member

@Helgis

Sadness has no place in business and technology.

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:12:29
# ]

@AMiGR

Unfortunately yes...true...

@Polka

It could be the special design of the PPC. The way it handled things and the fact that Amiga has been using it for a couple of years, but then again it might be time for a change?

Last edited by Helgis on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Last edited by Helgis on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:13 PM.

Report this post  
Insanity 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:13:20
#288 ]

@AMiGR

Well, I have to admit that I really like the opteron, and in your case it is smarter to choose it.

But AFAIK OS4 runs very smoothly on current HW?

If so remember that x86 will not magically make your p3nis longer or breasts firmer. it will however, make things 98546890568584680 times more complicated, and possibly ease up avaliablity.

Last edited by Insanity on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Last edited by Insanity on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Last edited by Insanity on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:19 PM.

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

Kronos 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:13:26
#289 ]
Elite Member

@Naz (and others)

Bout piracy:

Bundling SW with a mobo is just as safe as bundling it with a normal dongle (the only difference is that with the dongle you can also protect updates).

If Terons had ever been on sale for normal costumers it would have been just as easy/hard to get OS4 running on them as cracking a dongle (real quality dongle would probraly be even harder to crack).

Terons never really went on sale so that point is mute, and some may even claim that would be a good thing, but the same problems that killed the Terons were also what made the A1s such medicore HW and in the end even killed.

So either have the OS on HW that can be sold outside the community, and makes the whole bundling even more counterproductive, or restrict the OS to HW that is completly unsellable outside the Amiga-market (which surely would allways have not so nice reason).

Some might demand that OS4 should be bundled regarless into which market it will be sold, but adding 100Euro (if not more) would not just cut into profits, it would make the whole board incompetive (and thereby unsellable......).

Or in short words: OS4 is FukedIP (atleast aslong as long as the licence stays this way).

polka. 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:17:39
#290 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
It could be the special design of the PPC. They way it handled things and the fact that Amiga has been using it for a couple of years, but then again it might be time for a change?

What things did your (broken?) G4 handle better than any x86 CPU available at half of the price? Again: Isn't the fact that "things are handled well" simply due to the great AmigaOS and _not_ due to the "magic" of the PowerPC?

Last edited by polka. on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:21:05
#291 ]
Team Member

@Insanity

No, I wouldn't buy an Opteron to run OS4.

But it wouldn't "possibly ease up availability", it would DRASTICALLY increase availability.
At the moment, I cannot buy ANYTHING to run OS4.

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:22:17
# ]

@Rogue and Enthiza

Seeing how this topic actually has proceeded, this proves that most of us here in AW actually want to see AmigaOS4 on x86 hardware and feel that there is time for a great change here. Most of us have more or less given up the hope that PPC will ever become cheap and easy to get as x86 is. Now, how would that affect you as a company? Don't you think it's time to stop dreaming outside reality and actually consider this reality instead of driving AmigaOS to a certain death? The lack of potensial hardwares were also the main reason for the delay of the OS4 release. This wouldn't be the case if AmigaOS4 actually run at x86 hardware. I mean of course that you should complete the PPC-port of OS4, before doing another port..

Yes yes..i know you will never do the job porting x86, even that most of us actually want this to happen, but there will always be others. When license is given, everything is possible...

Last edited by Helgis on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Report this post  
Insanity 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:23:50
#293 ]

@AMiGR

remember that each configuration has to be tested and supported.

so you won't be able to call dell, but MIGHT be able to use certain chipsets with certain cpu's and certain gfx-cards.
even amd-mobos have trouble running most rams.

look at zeta, they will have a VAST ammount of supported hw, compared to what you will initially have.

/Ins

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:24:11
# ]

@polka.

Good point. It might be more due to the nature of AmigaOS. I would be surprised to see how excellent AmigaOS4 would run on x86 hardware. Would be exciting to see..

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:31:35
#295 ]
Team Member

@Insanity

You would have 1 or 2 supported motherboards at first. If you choose, for example, an ASUS or Gigabyte board, I can guarantee that you will be able to find it for a long time to come. Now, that IS far greater availability than anything the PPC has to offer...

Quote:
so you won't be able to call dell, but MIGHT be able to use certain chipsets with certain cpu's and certain gfx-cards.

I haven't had any problems with AMD based boards and RAM yet.

polka. 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:34:12
#296 ]

@Insanity
Quote:
@AMiGR

If so remember that x86 will not magically make your p3nis longer or breasts firmer.

I don't remember AMiGR having boobs.

Tomas 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:37:47
#297 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

That is odd, considering i have bought mostly cheap ram for all my amd computers and have never had any problem with either sdram or ddr ram being unstable or not working.
I have 3 different amd computers working fine here at the moment.

Insanity 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:38:48
#298 ]

@AMiGR

about RAM: Me niether, but every now and then there are articles on tomshardware showing which modules function, and which don't.

Oh and, remember, that there might be need of patched kernel if there is a revision of the mobo.

I would stick with ppc for now, and once there is a stable supply of h/w (and thus a stable INCOME for the involved companies) THEN I would expand my horizons.

do you know which is generally considered the MOST stable version of windows EVER?

windows 2000 for alpha, it was abandoned as an alpha-version though.

edit: Fat-finger typos aplenty. It's been a long day.

Last edited by Insanity on 09-Jun-2006 at 02:39 PM.

/Ins

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:39:33
# ]

@Tomas

Wouldn't you love to be able to run AmigaOS4 on these x86 AMD CPUs, don't you think? It think you do

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 9-Jun-2006 14:39:36
#300 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

I've had several AMD boxes and I've just helped a friend build a dual Opteron 246, based on the SuperMicro H8DCE (NForce 4 Pro) motherboard. No probs with RAM at any point and I've bought from HP server memory down to the cheapest pieces of crap money can buy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle