Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OldFart:  8 mins ago
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 zipper:  29 mins ago
 VooDoo:  45 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  glUAE: running classic software on AOS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
DAX 
Re: glUAE: running classic software on AOS4
Posted on 19-Jan-2010 19:14:30
#101 ]
Elite Member

@saimo
Quote:
I really think that Hyperion should not move a single finger to allow the run-from-floppy thingie because it's too irrelevant. If they, instead, spend some time to implement the alternate default tool thing, then I'd be more than happy because that would have a much greater importance as regards system flexibility in general.

We agree as a matter of fact they only should eliminate minor stubling blocks by adding a simple feature.
As for the rest it can be provided by the community (heck we're almost there already) including the X-mos floppy controller (that by the way was mentioned many time as an interesting feature in X-mos discussions here.

The bottom line is that is would seem pretty trivial to implement, no big fuss needed.

Profile     Report this post  
saimo 
Posted on 19-Jan-2010 19:21:05
#102 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
We agree as a matter of fact they only should eliminate minor stubling blocks by adding a simple feature.
As for the rest it can be provided by the community (heck we're almost there already) including the X-mos floppy controller (that by the way was mentioned many time as an interesting feature in X-mos discussions here.

The bottom line is that is would seem pretty trivial to implement, no big fuss needed.

Agreed.

vidarh 
Posted on 19-Jan-2010 19:30:16
#103 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

Quote:
The point is, how I tried to explain earlier, that making is 100% transparent is intrinsically impossible. Sooner or later the user will be faced with the need to configure the emulation manually. And, even in the cases when he isn't, the performance could not be optimal.
Tools like glUAE help a lot in achieving a transparent integration, but configuration must be done at some point - I must say that by reading these last posts, I'm almost tempted to establish a new full-time job for myself: creating configurations (optionally on demand) so that users can just click on their favourite application and let AOS4 + glUAE + UAE take care of the rest... anybody willing to pay for that (you know, I'm jobless)?

We fully agree there... And for what it's worth If you (or someone else) put together a large set of high quality UAE config files combined with a script to pick the right one (say, based on an md5sum of the ADF image, to avoid renamed ones from breaking things) and launch (gl)UAE, I know I would buy it if the price was right. Probably not enough demand to live off for very long, though... Maybe there's interest in a bounty?

BillE 
Posted on 21-Jan-2010 19:10:57
#104 ]

Its a while since I used E-UAE but have been reminded by this thread about SlamTilt, Pinball Fantasies etc

I reinstalled GL-UAE and ran a few games.

Previously I am sure I had them in full screen but now only get a small area in the middle of my monitor.

I noted that the new Monitor settings only went as low as 640x480 so tried adding one of 320x240 which seems to work. However most of the games seem to lose a bit from either the top or the bottom of the screen.

Can any UAE experts advise on setting the best screen prefs to run things on a full sized screen. I'd much rather play SlamTilt with it filling my monitor rather than in a small square in the middle of it.

Also does anyone else get out of sync sound with these pinball games ?

Last edited by BillE on 21-Jan-2010 at 07:11 PM.

ddni 
Posted on 21-Jan-2010 19:43:17
#105 ]
Cult Member

@BillE

I think that native Amiga PAL needs 320x256 50Hz vsync

Caveman 
Posted on 21-Jan-2010 20:04:42
#106 ]
Cult Member

It would truly rock if i could run old OCS/AGA games transparent on the X1000

pavlor 
Posted on 21-Jan-2010 20:08:00
#107 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

Quote:
I think that native Amiga PAL needs 320x256 50Hz vsync

Don´t forget Overscan...

I use 720x576 on computer of my father (19" LCD, 1280x1024 native resolution) and it looks really good! It is not so good on widescreen monitors .

Last edited by pavlor on 21-Jan-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Caveman 
Posted on 21-Jan-2010 20:17:34
#108 ]
Cult Member

Would it be possible to make a layer that scale the image to fit screen? in widescreen,it could be solved by having black borders on each side,so the original 4/3 format would'nt be stretched?

(I don't want to play a fat version of Super Frog )

Last edited by Caveman on 21-Jan-2010 at 08:18 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 2-Feb-2010 19:41:28
#109 ]
Elite Member

@those having problems with fullscreen emulation

Keep in mind that E-UAE gets from the system the screen mode that best matches its request. It's up to you to define the suitable screen modes in the ScreenMode preferences. F.ex., if you have a game running in 320x240 but your monitor is 1440x900, you should define a 384x240 mode to cover as much as possible of the screen area without stretching.

@vidarh & whoever is interested

Quote:
We fully agree there... And for what it's worth If you (or someone else) put together a large set of high quality UAE config files combined with a script to pick the right one (say, based on an md5sum of the ADF image, to avoid renamed ones from breaking things) and launch (gl)UAE, I know I would buy it if the price was right. Probably not enough demand to live off for very long, though... Maybe there's interest in a bounty?

I decided to take the challenge

These are the caveats:
1. I'll support only games legally available on the internet (I'll publish a list and then update it from time to time);
2. I'll ask for a donation of at least EUR 1 for each game (the user will pay only after he/she has tried my stuff and found it useful);
3. I'll guarantee that the stuff I release works at the time of the release and I'll offer support only relatively to that.

Now, what does exactly "stuff" consist in? For now, I call such stuff "helper" (better names are welcome) and will work like this:
1. the user gets an .lha archive;
2. unpacks it;
3. launches an installer;
4. follows the instructions (has to answer just 4 simple questions);
5. double-clicks an icon in the selected place and enjoys the game

The requirements for helpers will be:
* internet connection;
* LhA in the commands path;
* wget in the commands path;
* SetDTool in the commands path (will be downloaded automatically if not found);
* glUAE (will be downloaded and installed automatically if not found);
* some standard AmigaOS commands in the commands path.

The requirements for the installed applications will be:
* E-UAE 0.8.29-WIP4 or E-UAE 0.8.29 + Easy UAE 1.5 (properly set up);
* glUAE (properly set up);
* a suitable screen mode, if run in full screen.

Now, whether it sounds easy or complicated to you, believe me: it's easier than you think! And you can try it right *now* with the very first helper ever produced: just download it from here and follow the instructions - please note that this helper is totally free.
Please try if it works for you and report your thoughts.

Tomorrow I'll add a page to glUAE's site where I'll explain all the details and where I'll publish the list of the supported games (by the way: a new version of glUAE is available on OS4Depot).

Last edited by saimo on 02-Feb-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 02-Feb-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 02-Feb-2010 at 07:41 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 18:22:56
#110 ]
Elite Member

@all

Just wanted to let you know that I have uploaded a new version to OS4Depot and Aminet.
I have also reviewed all the helpers* and updated/fixed many of them (a few remained broken because Back2Roots is gone, and I just didn't have time to rework them to use another source - today is a terrible day). The helpers can be downloaded from glUAE's website.

*For who isn't familiar with helpers: they are utilities that download, install, and configure (optimally) games so that they are ready to run with one click as if they were native. Hard to summarize in a few words: check out the videos on the website or give them a shot yourselves

ribdevil 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 19:44:24
#111 ]

@saimo

Great job, Saimo. As usual

Virginio

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 20:55:48
#112 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@all

Just wanted to let you know that I have uploaded a new version to OS4Depot and Aminet.
I have also reviewed all the helpers* and updated/fixed many of them (a few remained broken because Back2Roots is gone, and I just didn't have time to rework them to use another source - today is a terrible day). The helpers can be downloaded from glUAE's website.

*For who isn't familiar with helpers: they are utilities that download, install, and configure (optimally) games so that they are ready to run with one click as if they were native. Hard to summarize in a few words: check out the videos on the website or give them a shot yourselves

love ya saimo your support of all your apps/ games is just remarkable

Last edited by klx300r on 27-Nov-2017 at 09:32 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 21:24:02
#113 ]
Elite Member

Thanks, guys!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle