Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  27 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] Will we see ACK Pictures? It's Pictures Tuesday...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Poll : Will we see pictures from ACK today as promised?
yes
no
his camera broke
it's not Tuesday in Alaska
wait, THIS Tuesday?
maybe
pancakes are your friend

PosterThread
Akiko 
Re: [Poll] Will we see ACK Pictures? It's Pictures Tuesday...
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:00:18
#241 ]
Cult Member

@ack

I'm sorry hear about your father, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

CD32/ FMV Module

Profile     Report this post  
wolfe 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:06:48
#242 ]

@Helgis

Quote:

Now i don't know what to even feel. I don't want to run Windows again, please

I think OS4 is still viable, but if / when in doubt there is always other alternative OS's, OSX, Zeta, Linux and AROS if it ever gets to prime time . .

madtrekker 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:13:20
#243 ]

@Turrican3

Quote:
Hyperion says (more or less) that desktop is not the way to go... (and please note, they're the one I respect the most, yet being a SH their efforts desperately need some HW!)

From a business point of view they are right. There is absolutely no money to be made from competing with Windows. The small fraction of the market that isn't locked into Windows is already taken by Apple or various Linux vendors. There's nothing left for the Amiga to take there. Sure, we can dream about somehow managing to rebuild the Amiga into the computer it once was, but there's nowhere to go commercially with that goal.

The embedded market is far more open to different hardware solutions, making it much a much easier market to enter and a possible source of revenue.

Hyperion have hardly abandoned the Desktop market from a practical standpoint. I'm sure that some of the features they have added to OS4 would be unnecessary in an embeded solution, so they are keeping a foot in each door, really. It's the only sensible way to make things work, given that they'd never be able to recoup the development costs of OS4 just by selling it to an increasingly small number of old Amiga users.

Quote:
Eyetech tried to sell A1's as cheap Linux boxes... apparently they were unable to do so, and disappeared.

They tried and they failed. Considering that for a short time you could actually buy a brand new and official Amiga they achieved more than any company have since Escom, but because of the issues with the boards they used, and their recent silence, they get a lot of flak. That always seemed a bit ungrateful to me.

Quote:
Troika and ACK: can't say a thing for the latter, but what should I think about a company which makes its major HW announcement on a Linux site?!

Perhaps, that they are hoping to make some money at the same time as providing some much needed hardware to the Amiga scene? If they can sell outside of the limited Amiga market then the cost per board comes down which would mean more profit for them, and maybe even cheaper boards for us.

I'm quite happy to give emerging companies the benefit of the doubt until the hardware actually arrives. Then I will decide if it is worth purchasing. I already have a uA1, so I probably don't need another Amiga, but I may pick up one of the new boards to support the effort that went into creating them.

I think feedback on released information about the machines should remain purely constructive until someone is able to actually test and properly review the machines. Constructive feedback can (and seemingly has judging from some of the ACK IRC transcripts) lead to an improved design. Destructive feedback will just make people give up.

Quote:
Many people has already said what I actually meant (sorry, maybe it's my English that's far from benig perfect), I understand it's a difficult market but I also find it hard to believe that those guys aren't expecting some profit, at least from the HW, considering how expensive it is.

Of course they would expect to make some profit (they're not going to give the hardware away, after all). I would say that given the size of the market and the expense of producing limited run hardware, it is quite likely that the profit would be less than they could get doing the same thing in a non-Amiga arena. (Plus of course, in many cases work on Amiga projects is done in people's spare time. You couldn't pay me to give up my valuable spare time!)

Akiko 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:13:56
#244 ]
Cult Member

@everyone

I'm not supprised by this recent announcement. I read this thread yesterday and jus cringed at the torrent of personal attacks being posted on here! It's quite understandable and rightly so that ppl would be frustrated and looking for sum answers, but when this site allows blatant personal attacks and gives free reign to those individuals that only every come here when they have something opportunistic and negative to say then it's a really sad day. I don't think amigaworld.net would have tolerated this in the past so begs question what's up with the moderation these days?

CD32/ FMV Module

Tomas 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:29:44
#245 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:

wegster wrote:
@samface

Quote:
1. Adam just likes the attention and made this whole thing up, even getting Hyperion in on it too, supporting him by saying that they have a funtional CPU upgrade for their AmigaOne and everything.

I must have missed this..? Did Hyperion say they have a CPU upgrade module from ACK somewhere?

Same here.. Anyone have any link/quote regarding this??

Tomas 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:32:31
#246 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Eyetech tried to sell A1's as cheap Linux boxes... apparently they were unable to do so, and disappeared.

No wonder, condisering that there was no real workarounds made for the bugs in hardware..
Like for example having DMA without data corruption is a very importanting issue, so i totally understand why this was a failure.

Though i guess this post is pretty offtopic though

Last edited by Tomas on 14-Jun-2006 at 06:33 PM.

billt 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:40:05
#247 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
You of ones criticing the whole thing here have killed any chance for new Amiga hardwares to ever see the light of day,

You forgot the qualifier "from ACK", as in "You of ones criticing the whole thing here have killed any chance for new Amiga hardwares from ACK to ever see the light of day,..."

The particular people you are criticising here don't believe they have changed anything anyway, they didn't believe ACK was actually making a real product, only a hoax.

I think that if we let Adam have some time to cool off and deal with his other things, he will come back to finish his projects (or hoaxes if you're one of "them"), as if he really is far enough along to have prototypes and know that they don't work completely, then that's enough investment to want to see a return on.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:47:13
#248 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
@Helgis

Quote:
Do you ever grow up?

That's simply an hilarious thing to hear from you, Helgis.

Sometimes even the most immature people can recognise when someone else is being really immature.

And Helgis: Don't take me too seriously when I say this, either.

Desolator 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:49:06
#249 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
Now i don't know what to even feel. I don't want to run Windows again, please

Then don't. Keep using your A1 until it dies and then either revert to a classic or go the WinUAE way.
That's what we've been doing for years, and will continue to do for years until new hardware is obtainable again. (when? Well, "when it's done." )

Personally I will do what I've done since I've heard of new hardware.. wait silently. If it comes, great! If it doesn't then I've got my PegII which will last a few years I reckon, and my other Classics. Oh, and WinUAE.

walter 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:51:02
#250 ]

@ackcontrls

Best wishes and weird-oh healing waves sent your Dad's way.

Get him mended FIRST. Then take a deep breath and think about your
Amiga projects. I'm sure you'll come up with a good plan.

JurassicC 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 18:55:28
#251 ]

@Tomas

I think someone got the wrong end of the stick.

Hyperion do have a G4 1.4Ghz CPU but it as far as i know it was supplied by Eyetech a long time ago not recenty by ACK. There is also a dual CPU prototype around somewhere too. There are photos of them about somewhere.

edit dual 7410 cpu card

http://amigaone-linux.sourceforge.net/images/dual7410s.jpg

Last edited by JurassicC on 14-Jun-2006 at 06:59 PM.

d0c 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:11:48
#252 ]
Cult Member

sorry to say this but it's been too many excuses, I don't believe ACK anymore... it looks like every sane person have left the amiga now.. at least i am honest...

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:13:12
# ]

@ackcontrls

Best wishes to you and your dad.

What you've been trying to do with the PV is a great thing and it means a lot to many of us. Take as much time as you need, but don't forget that you have genuine support here.

Take care,
Chris

Report this post  
Frags 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:13:53
#254 ]
Cult Member

@billt

Quote:
I think that if we let Adam have some time to cool off and deal with his other things, he will come back to finish his projects (or hoaxes if you're one of "them"), as if he really is far enough along to have prototypes and know that they don't work completely, then that's enough investment to want to see a return on.

Not necessarily, look at Amithlon.

- insert profound text here -

The_Editor 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:14:34
#255 ]
Elite Member

@JurassicC

why do I still want one of those ?

Jeffshepherd 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:20:59
#256 ]

@Herewegoagain

Quote:

Herewegoagain wrote:
@ackcontrls

Quote:

ackcontrls wrote:

That's the final straw. I'm out of here....this is just not worth the aggravation. Have a good life everyone.

Adam

Thanks for at least trying Adam... I'm right behind you. And I hope your dad is okay.

Good bye guys. It's been fun. This was our last chance of any new hardware. Since Adam has quit, there's not much use in hanging around.

Have I missed something? Adam hasn't actually saud he is finishing with his projects, I read it as he means he is quiting these forums.

JurassicC 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:23:34
#257 ]

@The_Editor

I think DaveP asked Eyetech about them and if was going to made it would be something like £600 with a 200 minimum order, which is why it never happened.

Last edited by JurassicC on 14-Jun-2006 at 07:25 PM.

techie 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:28:20
#258 ]

*emerges from the shadows*

Hi,
I know this may be a bit off topic and I don’t mean to intrude, but I came across this image after reading through this thread and found it strangely appropriate for this situation.

Now please don’t misinterpret this post to be some form of attack against any of the parties involved in this discussion. This is just my way of trying to defuse a tense situation with a bit of humor

(*nervous* hope I haven't offended anyone */nervous*)

*submerges back into the shadows*

wegster 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:30:12
#259 ]
Elite Member

@Turrican3

Quote:

Troika and ACK: can't say a thing for the latter, but what should I think about a company which makes its major HW announcement on a Linux site?!

Just to clarify, but this is already way OT...

The A1s were never cheap. The hope, AFAIK, was to sell them at least as being _usable_ Linux appliance type boards, or similar. They were never truly 100% usable without issues under Linux because of various flaws, some of which were not going to be worked around by the core Linux kernel, so would require a 'custom' Linux just to get running. Nothing entirely 'terrible' about a custom distro by itself, but the flaws themselves made the boards generall unattractive. Perhaps if the Articia P was completed or a different board had been used...but sort of irrelevant now.

Neither Troika nor ACK authored the article on the ppc site. It was done by Tarbos, although I remain unsure as to why

elatour 
Posted on 14-Jun-2006 19:38:51
#260 ]
Cult Member

@ackcontrls

Quote:
My father was admitted to the hospital yesterday, please be a bit patient as this is more important than anything else at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your father. Best wishes to you and your family Adam.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle