Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kriz:  19 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  28 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  53 mins ago
 Karlos:  55 mins ago
 pavlor:  58 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] Will we see ACK Pictures? It's Pictures Tuesday...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Poll : Will we see pictures from ACK today as promised?
yes
no
his camera broke
it's not Tuesday in Alaska
wait, THIS Tuesday?
maybe
pancakes are your friend

PosterThread
Zardoz 
Re: [Poll] Will we see ACK Pictures? It's Pictures Tuesday...
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 11:45:19
#341 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Actually, according to Adam/ACK, this is an issue with the implementation of the 60x bus on all G4s and all AmigaOne board have always had a workaround.

Profile     Report this post  
Turrican3 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 12:25:51
#342 ]

@madtrekker

First of all thanks for your long reply

Quote:
From a business point of view they are right. [...] Sure, we can dream about somehow managing to rebuild the Amiga into the computer it once was, but there's nowhere to go commercially with that goal.

(talking about Hyperion's attitude VS the desktop)

Maybe. Still, I'm sure (and the "official" OS4 website reflects this point of view IMHO) there could be a niche market which simply wants to make fun, not frustration, out of a computer... a fast and affordable machine to surf the 'net and make some productivity stuff.
But how can we (re)build such a community if no company is able (no matter why) to ship a product?

Quote:
The embedded market is far more open to different hardware solutions, making it much a much easier market to enter and a possible source of revenue.

[...]

I'm sure that some of the features they (-->Hyperion) have added to OS4 would be unnecessary in an embeded solution, so they are keeping a foot in each door, really.

I agree, especially the last sentence. It is a smart move, IMHO there's absolutely no need to intentionally exclude potential uses for an OS that, anyway, was originally built for the desktop.

Quote:
They tried and they failed. Considering that for a short time you could actually buy a brand new and official Amiga they achieved more than any company have since Escom, but because of the issues with the boards they used, and their recent silence, they get a lot of flak. That always seemed a bit ungrateful to me.

Unfortunately, exactly as Escom, they also failed to bring back an "official" Amiga to the market at a reasonable price. I also see no lack of gratitude, since for what I can read on various forums, their customer care regarding the A1's "issues" was almost non-existent.

Even considering how difficult is the Amiga market nowadays, I find it hard such behaviour could lead users to be more confident in "announcements" like those of ACK/Troika/etc.

So, as said before, I believe that an Amiga-related company in 2006 should act VERY quietly and announce a product only when they're ready to ship. Failing to do so only makes people more suspicious at announcements, more angry at missing deadlines, less prone to save money for the moment when an OS4-capable HW will finally be available.

@wegster

(sorry for the OT)

Quote:
The A1s were never cheap. The hope, AFAIK, was to sell them at least as being _usable_ Linux appliance type boards, or similar.

I remember all that talking about how much money could be saved by a company considering the low power consumption and/or the fact they didn't produce too much heat. So savings could have been made in the long run for a company which bought A1s in mid/big batches.

Obviosly those argument had little to no impact on ordinary OS4 users who simply wanted a "classic" desktop computer.

PS: actually, I have a doubt Alan was talking about uA1s?!

raumfahre 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 12:50:36
#343 ]

@CD32freak

I agree that this thread is WELL passed closing time.

In my opinion wegster should not have started such a pointless thread in the first place. I mean to hold a gun against a persons head to produce some flippin' images. Don't get me wrong, I'd like very much to see images of the hardware that ACK is developing but it's hardly the end of the world if those images don't turn up on a specified time now is it?

Come on people, show some patience.

-Sam- 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 12:50:58
#344 ]
Elite Member

@vision

Quote:
I think this thread should be close as a real proof of respect for Adam and his personal circumstances.

I think it's best to let it run its natural course. If Adam does ever read it he will see the large number of support posts made in good faith. I hope he can ignore the negatives.

polka. 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 12:58:28
#345 ]

@raumfahre

Quote:
I mean to hold a gun against a persons head to produce some flippin' images.

Eh? "Holding a gun"? Nobody was doing that. It was Adam who deliberately chose to show us some photos "no later than tuesday".
It's only the neverending announcement-failed-announcement-failed that makes people go mad and seriously affected his credibility in a negative way.

samface 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:07:50
#346 ]

@polka.

Quote:
It was Adam who deliberately chose to show us some photos "no later than tuesday".

And you're holding a gun to his head for not keeping that "promise". Sh*t happens, get over it already.

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

polka. 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:16:13
#347 ]

@samface

Quote:
And you're holding a gun to his head for not keeping that "promise".

No, I don't have a license (to carry firearms).

Quote:
Sh*t happens, get over it already.

The saying "sh*t happens" usually goes for things that didn't work out as expected due to bad luck. When somebody makes 10 promises or announcements and _none_ of them is met, then this has hardly anything to do with "bad luck" or "sh*t happens".

AP 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:22:04
#348 ]
Cult Member

@samface

If Adam make such deadlines and let them pass (it wasn´t the first time, remember?) than he is the only one, who "holds the gun". And it is no personal attack, if people, who are interested in this hardware (and the future of AmigaOS4) are are disappointed and critisize Adam for doing this.

I hope Adam takes not every critic personal, because there are many people, who are interested in his work and would be glad, to buy one of his products. But he should really take care of his annoncements.

BTW: I hope your father is well, Adam. Maybe you can show us some photos, when the situation is better and you have more time.

madtrekker 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:39:10
#349 ]

@AP

Quote:
If Adam make such deadlines and let them pass (it wasn´t the first time, remember?) than he is the only one, who "holds the gun". And it is no personal attack, if people, who are interested in this hardware (and the future of AmigaOS4) are are disappointed and critisize Adam for doing this.

Sure they can be disappointed, but the scope for criticism should be dictated by the circumstances. I mean where would you draw the line? If he had (God forbid) been involved in a fatal accident would it still be fair to criticise him for not posting the photos?

There are some things which happen in life that take priority over pretty much anything else, and family emergencies are definitely in that category. Sure those who were eagerly awaiting photos can (and will) be disappointed, but at the end of the day they are just some photos. If they are a week, a month, or even a year late, or if they never turn up at all, then so be it. It won't be the end of the world, not even for the Amiga.

pixie 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:42:39
#350 ]
Elite Member

@madtrekker

How much examples you have showing that *after* Adam explained the reason behind the delay?

DoctorQ 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:45:50
#351 ]

@madtrekker

Quote:

Sure they can be disappointed, but the scope for criticism should be dictated by the circumstances. I mean where would you draw the line? If he had (God forbid) been involved in a fatal accident would it still be fair to criticise him for not posting the photos?

There are some things which happen in life that take priority over pretty much anything else, and family emergencies are definitely in that category. Sure those who were eagerly awaiting photos can (and will) be disappointed, but at the end of the day they are just some photos. If they are a week, a month, or even a year late, or if they never turn up at all, then so be it. It won't be the end of the world, not even for the Amiga.

Well, all except a couple of posters have given their best wishes for Adam, his father and the rest of his family in this thread, AFTER Adam posted a reply telling the public that his father was in the hospital.

Most of the critiscim were made BEFORE his post, and what most people have said afterwards is that they hope the hardware will come, but the way he has set deadlines in the past might not be the right way to do it, since it draws so much negative attention. So yes, the criticism was dectated by the circumstances.

samface 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:49:01
#352 ]

@polka.

If you don't trust Adam when he says that his father was just hospitalized, keep that to yourself. I can't do anything but feel sorry for you if you can't realize for yourself how you are portraying yourself when you keep whining about some images not being published on the Internet in spite of Adam's explanation that his father's health is more important to him right now. I don't care about any broken promises of the past or whatever, the slightest possibility of Adam's words to be true is enough to refrain from putting any more strain on Adam right now.

What are you afraid of, having showed too much respect for someone's private life? I can tell it would be much easier to live with the feeling of being fooled by such improbable and tasteless joke than it would be to live with the feeling of having treated someone in a situation as Adam are in with such disrespect.

AP 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:49:58
#353 ]
Cult Member

@madtrekker:
>If he had (God forbid) been involved in a fatal accident would it still be fair to criticise him for not >posting the photos?

No, but (except one stupid poster) the critizism was before Adams explaination. I think everyone here understands that his father is more important than this photos.

samface 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:51:16
#354 ]

@madtrekker

Well said.

polka. 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 13:56:39
#355 ]

@samface

Quote:
If you don't trust Adam when he says that his father was just hospitalized, keep that to yourself.

You should keep your flawed assumptions to yourself. I never said anything like that. The only thing you are trying to do now is to lay words in my mouth I've never sid and twist my statements in order to make me look as somebody "who shows disrespect for Adams private life".
I was referring to the past announcements and failures that happened, _not_ to the explanation as to why the photos are not there.

samface 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 14:00:46
#356 ]

@AP

Appearantly not since it is still being repeated that this is not the first time that Adam has failed to keep his "promises", like this situation would not be different. To show respect would be to drop the bickering and arguing and just wait until Adam is "back", if he ever decides to come back. Yet, this is not what's happening here.

polka. 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 14:02:43
#357 ]

@AP

Quote:
No, but (except one stupid poster) the critizism was before Adams explaination. I think everyone here understands that his father is more important than this photos

Exactly, but afterwards some are trying to make it appear that

a) the (justified) doubts and critizism _before_ Adam's explanation disrespect Adam's private life
b) peoples doubts and critizism made Adam to leave the forum (or drop the project, open to interpretation) although it was related to a _single_ (offensive) user

LordSteven 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 14:08:08
#358 ]

@hatty

Quote:
This product was NEVER anything more than vapourware. Adam's excuse for "pulling out" of the PV project is not only stupid but unrealistic. Nobody would drop a project as "big" as this because of the comments of one or two doubters. If you were genuine and had invested so much in this project, you'd totally ignore all doubters and march ahead with things.

Actually, Now I will have to speak. When one is going through emotional distress, it's not hard for someone to take a comment hard and react that way. Judging by the evidence surrounding the posts of Adam's departure, my guess is the insulting user probably attacked with regards to Adam's father's plight.

I know I flew off the handle at remarks, or even well intentioned jokes, when my father was in the hospital dying. Now, knowing I could be that emotional at off-hand remarks, I probably would've gone postal in a direct attack regarding that situation.

As to the Amiga situation at hand, I long ago gave up understandng why businesses and people even keep trying to support this "community" and computer. It's never going to be a money maker again.

To Strive, To Seek, To Find, and Not to Yield

samface 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 14:08:40
#359 ]

@polka.

You refered to the past announcements and failures as an argument for why *this* would not be a situation of where the expression "shit happens" would apply, like this situation with Adam's father would not be different from any explanations there might be for the announcements and failures of the past. That is discrediting Adam's explanation for why this situation is different, IMO.

polka. 
Posted on 15-Jun-2006 14:13:05
#360 ]

@samface

I was looking at the whole picture. 10 announcements with 10 times failing to meet the expectations or show _anything_ can certainly not be only explained with "bad luck" or "sh*it happens". The recent case doesn't change this picture.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle