Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  23 mins ago
 matthey:  34 mins ago
 OlafS25:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 Luc:  4 hrs 29 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Hyperion Q + A at Big Bash - CONFIRMED.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
tomazkid 
Re: Hyperion Q + A at Big Bash - CONFIRMED.
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 9:04:53
#61 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:
These are questions that should be best answered by the "management", e.g. Ben Hermanns

It's Evert Carton now, according to the Hyperion´s homepage.

Quote:
Managing partner

Evert Carton

Sales Manager and Commercial Relations

Timothy De Groote

US liaison

James Sellman

Profile     Report this post  
gdg 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 9:05:15
#62 ]

@Atheist
Quote:
Could AOS4.0, stripped down, be a RTOS?

No. RTOS capability does not depend on the hardware. An OS is an RTOS when you can schedule some tasks to run when an event happens (that is, when a signal is received from an external port, when a certain amount of time has passed, etc.). The scheduler of AmigaOS does not allow this (nor does Linux, not even uCLinux; the MontaVista extensions for Linux anyway do, at least to some extent), since scheduling does not depend on external events (including time) but only on priorities.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 10:52:56
#63 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:

umisef wrote:
@Rogue

Quote:
"How the hell should I know, I'm a programmer"

and

Quote:
I work for Hyperion but I don't speak for them. Got that?

....--- for questions such as "So, do you agree with McBill that the buyback clause has been activated and paid for?" or "Are you aware of any potential hardware maker turning over half a million bucks per year already?". Or "What is the number of currently pending lawsuits between Amiga Inc and Hyperion, and who were they initiated by?" or maybe the milder "So, do you still speak to Amiga Inc directly, or is all communication done through lawyers?"

Where did Bill say that the buyback has been activated and paid for?

tonyw 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 10:56:37
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

He didn't, it has been inferred from his reply to Question 3.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

herewegoagain 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 11:08:30
#65 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Yes he did. Read it again:

Quote:
With regard to the “buyback” that everyone seems to know about, that money was paid and a contract signed by Ben Hermans on April 24th, 2003. Hyperion contacted us in desperate need of the funds immediately and we made the arrangements and sent them the money, which they received and they then signed the contract.

I also find it very disturbing that the version of OS4 for the IBM PDA reference platform has been paid for and completed, yet Hyperion seems to be the one holding it up with legal wranglings. WTF? I'm starting to loose every last shred of respect for any remaining "Amiga partner".

Quote:
We then went further and paid tens of thousands of more dollars to have OS 4 ported to the IBM PowerPC 405 embedded processor and had OS 4 running on the Arctic reference platform. This was in partnership with IBM and we were very excited about the prospects and looking forward to building several new hardware platforms in partnership with Hyperion. Unfortunately, this is now in the hands of attorneys as we get everything worked out so that everyone, including the community, can enjoy this next step forward.

I will say that on a personal note, that I have had great conversations with the Friedens and I have enjoyed working with them, and I look forward to the opportunity of working with them as we move forward. The issues that we are dealing with are not with them.

Just to think that we could have probably already had OS4 running on these PDA's and who knows what else.... I mean, Amiga was able to create a partnership with IBM to have OS4 running on their hardware. That could have been huge, and led to many more opportunities.

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 14-Sep-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 11:08:58
#66 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

http://www.amiga.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6955 - updated answers on Amiga.org

Fransexy 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 12:33:55
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

Due to the answers of Bill McEwen i think that it will be more interesting a Q&A session with the hyperion´s company staff instead of their contracted programmers

hatschi 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 12:45:32
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
Due to the answers of Bill McEwen i think that it will be more interesting a Q&A session with the hyperion´s company staff instead of their contracted programmers

I fully agree on that.

OldFart 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 13:08:05
#69 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Herewegoagain

Quote:
I also find it very disturbing that the version of OS4 for the IBM PDA reference platform has been paid for and completed, yet Hyperion seems to be the one holding it up with legal wranglings. WTF? I'm starting to loose every last shred of respect for any remaining "Amiga partner". Quote:

As usual there are two version of the story when it comes to a dispute. Due to stories in the past however, I'm inclined to add a pinch of salt to Bill McEwen's answers. He was very, very rapid in answering the questions and it made me wonder whether this Q&A session was his opportunity to get us deranged, to spread FUD. Too fast for my liking!
And OS6? Or even OS5? Who financed these undertakings? Smoke screens, that's all I can see.

But i must also admit that i do not know the whole story and what is going on beyond the horizon. And probably that is where the battle, any battle is fought.

Lets wait and see, as we do now for years and got accustomed to. Some more time won't hurt us, now does it?

OldFart

Fransexy 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 13:24:45
#70 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:
Lets wait and see

It´s this a Amiga branded phrase? Because it´s what i have been listening since the demise of commodore

number6 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 13:38:16
#71 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Yes. We went over this before in August of this year:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20040&forum=14

jorkany 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 14:33:37
#72 ]
Cult Member

@Herewegoagain
Quote:
I mean, Amiga was able to create a partnership with IBM to have OS4 running on their hardware. That could have been huge, and led to many more opportunities.

The details of the partnership with IBM were not specified, and in the business world these days "partnership" can mean many different levels of interaction. It doesn't necessarily mean IBM were sending senior scientists over to have a look at OS4, it may only mean that a B2B relationship was established and AInc. had access to technical support for a particular product line. Remember, AInc. also had a "partnership" with the NHL.

@OldFart
Quote:
And OS6? Or even OS5? Who financed these undertakings?

Back when Gary Hare was running the show he explained all about OS5. It's all in the "20 questions with Gary Hare" (IRC session or whatever it was) in the news section here on AWN. OS5 had no relationship with OS4 and was supposedly being developed in-house by AInc., and it had no bearing on being a consumer OS. But now with different people driving the turnip cart plans for OS5 may have changed.
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2151&start=100#23074

Quote:
Lets wait and see, as we do now for years and got accustomed to. Some more time won't hurt us, now does it?

I guess BS is an acquired taste! But I have plenty of popcorn.

Last edited by jorkany on 14-Sep-2006 at 02:48 PM.

ohno 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 14:59:17
#73 ]

@OldFart

Quote:
He was very, very rapid in answering the questions and it made me wonder whether this Q&A session was his opportunity to get us deranged, to spread FUD. Too fast for my liking!

Well.. if it helps. I'm one of the (currently inactive) SDA developers and I've heard of these issues over a year ago during a Skype meeting with Vince.
Since we're under NDA we cannot talk about those kind of things publicly, but this is not something that just popped up recently.

herewegoagain 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 16:38:10
#74 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
he details of the partnership with IBM were not specified, and in the business world these days "partnership" can mean many different levels of interaction. It doesn't necessarily mean IBM were sending senior scientists over to have a look at OS4, it may only mean that a B2B relationship was established and AInc. had access to technical support for a particular product line. Remember, AInc. also had a "partnership" with the NHL.

True, he didn't disclose the details, but would you really expect any company to do that? He did add the following:

Quote:
This was in partnership with IBM and we were very excited about the prospects and looking forward to building several new hardware platforms in partnership with Hyperion.

To me it sounds like Amiga paid Hyperion $10K to port OS4 to the PDA, and had other IBM hardware they were looking to port to as well, in co-operation with Hyperion. We know that OS4 was ported to a PPC PDA, and Rogue has even confirmed that on numerous occasions. That lends alot of credibility to what Bill is saying. If you have the OS running and the hardware is ready to roll out. Why in the FSCK would you put up road blocks to stop the product from coming to market?

Bottom line is, that partnership was just as important as the ones that any OTHER companies have established and boasted over. So why try to discount it's worthyness? Simply because it is Amiga Inc?

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 14-Sep-2006 at 04:40 PM.

jorkany 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 17:10:22
#75 ]
Cult Member

@Herewegoagain
Quote:
Bottom line is, that partnership was just as important as the ones that any OTHER companies have established and boasted over.
That really depends on the nature of the partnership, which we do not know. I'd say that the partnership between the Disney movie companies and Apple are far more significant than the partnership between AInc. and the NHL. Could have been something significant, could have been nothing. I wonder if the partnership with IBM still exists?

Quote:
So why try to discount it's worthyness? Simply because it is Amiga Inc?

Well....to some degree you have to keep in mind that this IS Amiga Inc. we're talking about here, so it can't hurt to expect the least.

herewegoagain 
Posted on 14-Sep-2006 20:34:38
#76 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
I wonder if the partnership with IBM still exists?

I wonder the same thing...

Seehund 
Posted on 15-Sep-2006 10:29:33
#77 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Seehund

I can answer that question right here and now. And the answer is

"How the hell should I know, I'm a programmer"
--
Hans-Jörg Frieden. I work for Hyperion but I don't speak for them. Got that?

Thanks, but as has already been pointed out, my questions were intended for Hyperion.

It seems to be moot now anyway, when McEwen has already replied "No" to Q1 and "Eyetech" to Q2. He ought to know and has no apparent reason to lie about this specific issue (since things can't look any ####tier for AmigaOS than what those replies indicate, or maybe that was his purpose?).

It might still be interesting to hear what someone who actually does speak for Hyperion has to say, since AInc and Hyperion seem to have "issues". Will someone like that be attending BB?

OldFart 
Posted on 15-Sep-2006 13:28:50
#78 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@ohno

Quote:
... and I've heard of these issues over a year ago ...

And as i stated:
Quote:
But i must also admit that i do not know the whole story and what is going on beyond the horizon. And probably that is where the battle, any battle is fought.

I'm simply not looking for a good guys vs bad guys discussion, that was my point

But thanks for clearing things up a bit.

OldFart

Last edited by OldFart on 15-Sep-2006 at 01:29 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Sep-2006 15:30:39
#79 ]
Elite Member

@fatman2021

Option 1

Quote:
You know that at one time Amiga Inc. did said they were going to use the Linux kernal in AmigaOS....
This was about 6 or 7 years ago; before they said they were going to use the QNX kernal.

Well that is reverse of what you where asking, that idea is about using Linux as host and use AmigaOS running on top as interface layer, basically some thing like Amitalon, personally I think that where ugly configuration from driver point of view, because every thing will need to be translated.

Option 2

An option is to make Linux kernel wrappers, this allows you to load Linux kernel modules, under OS4, it is theoretically possible but driver will be poorly integrated in too AmigaOS, I know this from porting a Catweasel kernel module, kernel modules often just report error in to consol or simply to a kernel log, AmigaOS driver reports errors as user requests, for example read/write error, floppy disk write protection.

Linux Interface whit program using the Ioctl() function, AmigaOS do it using some device io magic, Linux kernel modules more like Amiga Library’s then Amiga Devices.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Sep-2006 15:36:36
#80 ]
Elite Member

@salass00

Quote:
It's a good thing they don't own AmigaOS anymore...

Bill / Amiga Inc comes from Gateway, He where project manager at Gateway, maybe AmigaOS5, is to make AmigaOS run on top of Linux

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle