Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 mins ago
 saimo:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 OldFart:  10 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  30 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  57 mins ago
 retrofaza:  58 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Am I the only person on AW to see the BillMcE Q&A as a positive
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Colin_Camper 
Re: Am I the only person on AW to see the BillMcE Q&A as a positive
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 16:04:00
#81 ]

@tonyw

Quote:
However, I can't see it happening on the Peg, and those that re-state that it is "the only way forward" at every opportunity, are only adding fuel to the fire.

Quote:
Perhaps I am just getting older.

Yes, perhaps it is senility.

If hardware is as close as the end of September (Italians) or Christmas (Ack and Troika) as Hyperion are now inferring then, yes, it's not really worth discussing the PegII for OS4. It's still cool to discuss MOS and AROS on the Peg though.

However, I think you are harking back to the threads that have been reccuring since the new year asking for a PegII port of OS4. The first thread back in January was greeted by the usual half dozen people screaming 'disloyal!' and 'hardware is only 4 weeks away!'.

Are you surprised that in this situation threads regularly appeared asking why OS4 was not being ported to the only shipping PPC hardware capable of running OS4?

Recent Amiga history is littered with examples of companies saying No, no, no ,no , no ... well, hang on,..... O.K. then!

Look at the Amiga.Inc turn around over classic OS.

Profile     Report this post  
herewegoagain 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 21:20:53
#82 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Again: That's what McEwen said, we did not yet hear Hyperion's POV regarding this issue.

??? And you really think he is going to make such a statement in public if it didn't happen? I also have not heard any disputes from Hyperion over this statement so what's your point? In fact, if anything, all we've heard in response from "Hyperion" so far is "no comment".

Quote:
Nobody's going to belittle the Frieden's efforts, but they can't write an OS on their own (they had plenty of help for OS4 - and look how long it took them ) You also seem to be ignoring that, according to the IRC log, there neither was a concrete offer, nor a definite response yet - Hans-Joerg even pointed out that he and his brother are "contractually bound to work for Hyperion".

Well hell's bells. I didn't know that... I thought Rogue and Thomas wrote the whole code all by themself. I'm so stupid. Thank you for correcting me.

You are also over looking the other thing he said, and that was that they would be willing to do it... We don't know how long that obligation to Hyperion and OS4 extend.

Quote:
And McEwen trying to hire the Friedens doesn't imply that the end result will be Amiga OS in any way. There are plenty of reason for hiring the Friedens (e.g. they're clever and apparently they're not too expensive, after all even Hyperion can afford to pay them).

LOL, by what reasoning!? TELL ME WHY IT WOULDN'T BE AMIGA OS??? I guess you are saying that JUST BECAUSE it's developed by AMIGA INC that it would not be AmigaOS? How can you possibly pass judgement on it and say such things when we have no clue about the final product?

Quote:
Why would anybody want to waste time thinking or dreaming about "OS5", which might be just as real as "AmigaDE", "On schedule and rocking", "we've not been thrown out of our offices" or "we're just selling unused office equipment"?

Come again? Do you think that other companies just settle on the "here and now" and we'll worry about the future tomorrow? Amiga OS5 was suppose to be the entry into Amiga 64-bit OS, if I remember correctly. Or would you just prefer that everyone sit back and use OS4 for the next 15 years and not look forward to the changing world of computing. We are already far enough behind. Must we sit on our hands and continue to get even farther behind, or do we pre-emptively start development of the next version of the OS in parallel with what is currently being offered?

Look, I'm not here to change your mind. You just keep believing whatever you want to believe. But for me, if Amiga Inc produces an OS called AmigaOS5, then for me, it IS Amiga OS5, as long as it follows the principles that have always made the OS nice to use.

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 17-Sep-2006 at 09:26 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 21:32:39
#83 ]

@Herewegoagain

Quote:
I also have not heard any disputes from Hyperion over this statement so what's your point? In fact, if anything, all we've heard in response from "Hyperion" so far is "no comment".

I really would have wished that not the Friedens, but somebody from Hyperion would have participated in the IRC-session.
The most interesting question (especially the ones regarding Bill McEwen and Amiga Inc.) were ignored with a "no comment". I can't blame the Friedens for that, they are only contracted by Hyperion. But if there is something to get straight, why didn't Evert or Ben also join the IRC-session? You would have had both programmers and management there.

herewegoagain 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 21:44:16
#84 ]
Elite Member

@joerg

Quote:
The old versions of AmigaOS were completed before AmigaOS4 was started, everyone working on AmigaOS4 knew how the previous versions worked and had access to the old sources. Since the goal of AmigaOS4 was to create a compatible, but PPC native, update of AmigaOS 3.x the AmigaOS4 developers didn't have to be involved in the development of older versions of AmigaOS but only had to know how the old versions worked.

And Amiga Inc have access to those same sources. Or do you say they do not understand how it works just because you don't like them? If so, then that's simply your oppinion, nothing more.

Quote:
For something like Amiga Inc.'s "OS5" (at least the "OS5" which was planned 2-3 years ago, maybe there isn't enough public information to know what it is exactely, but there is more than enough to know what it can't be) that's not required, though, the developers of "OS5" don't need to know anything about AmigaOS at all.

If there is not enough information to know what it is, then you can only speculate what it can't be. I'll ask you the same question. Why wouldn't OS5 be AmigaOS? Because you didn't program some part of it? Because it wasn't a "community effort"? Because Amiga didn't ask the community for their permission to start the next version of thier OS?

What criteria do you base this that OS5 will not be Amiga OS? As far as the "contributions", you said it yourself. These are "lesser parts". They would surely come, if not from the same authors, then someone would fill the void with needed code. How do you know that Amiga don't have other partners that could step up and fill in the needed work?

Quote:
If you believe everything Bill "On Schedule and Rockin'" McEwen writes but nothing from Rogue for example you are of course free to continue to imagine Amiga Inc.'s "OS5" would be an AmigaOS version 5.x, but don't be surprised when you find out what it actually is (if it exists at all).

Yeah, I'm about sick of people trolling with that slogan. And that is trolling. And show me where I said I didn't believe anything Rogue said. By the way, have you seen Amiga OS5? You talk about it like you have, so please, enlighten me to exactly what it is.

Samwel 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 22:30:56
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Herewegoagain

Chill man! This is just a forum and I'm just expressing my views. No need to get
angry or anything.

Quote:

Well that's the silliest reasoning I've ever heard. By your definition, that means that OS4 is not AmigaOS related, because Hyperion had nothing to do with the development and planning of OS 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.XX, 3.X.

Do you see how crazy that sounds? They OWN the IP and source code to AmigaOS. I don't give a flip about what people percieve that Amiga Inc have done or not. In fact, did you know (before the Bill McEwen answers) that Amiga Inc had paid Hyperion money for the OS4 buy back, and for the porting of OS4 to the IBM PDA?? If not, how much more is there that you do not know? It's easy to pass judgement from your ivory tower, but things are not always black and white.

You twist what I wrote. Please take all of what I write as a whole and do not cut out
single sentences. Of course they can sound silly then. As could anyone's really.

Amiga Inc could take Linux make a new GUI for it and call it Amiga OS 5. Yes, it would
be AmigaOS officially. But IMHO if it's not a continuation of the old sources then how
could they call it a follow up?
Note that I'm not against them calling it AmigaOS, it's their right. Just that it's a
continuation of OS3/4 which it clearly cannot be. They have no access to most (any?)
of the OS4 sources. That's including ExecSG according to Rogue.

EDIT: I doubt they would start over with the OS3 sources and do it all over again.

Yes, Hyperion got paid by Amiga Inc. So? How does all the 40 (or so) coder's sources
get in the hands of Amiga Inc because of that?
Hyperion might have sold their chance to earn money when OS4 is done (buy back
clause). But the contract might say they should be fairly paid for it. They both
disagree on what fair is. Could be as simple as that.

Btw I don't pass judgement on anyone. I have not complained about Amiga Inc. a
single time on AW, except for them keeping quiet for two years.

Quote:

Two coders?? Are you serious? You see the Friedens as just "two coders" of OS4. I know that's what they are in the litteral sense of the word, but seriously, do you think that writing the kernel and key parts of the OS make them just "two coders"?

Yes I'm serious. They are of course a MAJOR part of OS4 but still only 2 out of 40, or
so, coders. They've said so themselves here on multiple occassions.
And no, I don't think they're only "two coders" in the sense you mean. They are extremely
important to the OS4 project. Where would we be without them?
I thank them for staying with us this long and hope they will stay for all the updates
in the future. AmigaOS needs them.

Last edited by Samwel on 17-Sep-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Last edited by Samwel on 17-Sep-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Last edited by Samwel on 17-Sep-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Last edited by Samwel on 17-Sep-2006 at 10:33 PM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 22:40:23
# ]

@Herewegoagain

Quote:
What criteria do you base this that OS5 will not be Amiga OS?
Just because you don't know anything about OS5, and don't even read or understand the publically available information about it which would be enough, doesn't mean nobody else does.

Quote:
You talk about it like you have, so please, enlighten me to exactly what it is.
NDA

Report this post  
herewegoagain 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 22:59:33
#87 ]
Elite Member

@joerg

First off, don't assume what I have and haven't read. You don't know me anymore than I know you.

So you claim you know all about OS5 but have an NDA. You've entered an NDA with Amiga for OS5? Classic response, but that's fine (and convenient). I really have no need or desire to argue with you. Anyway it's your opinion, and I don't have to agree with it.

GregS 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 23:14:39
#88 ]

@joerg

Quote:
Just because you don't know anything about OS5, and don't even read or understand the publically available information about it which would be enough, doesn't mean nobody else does.

Personally, if and when OS5 emerges, does it matter how Amigan it is, so long as it works smoothly as AmigaOSes should?

First. I would be happiest if OS4 remained for a good long time the PPC version, that ran classic programs, and settled in as workmanlike, useful and robost OS.

But OS5 does not have to be that confined by the past, remember it will run on PPC also, if not directly within OS4 then beside it (perhaps OS4 running through it on PPC compatible hardware).

It will at best be some years before it is properly seen, at a guess, and hopefully a lot will change for the Amiga community in between.

How Amigan is any AmigaOS? There have been a lot of changes through the years and a llot of emulators preserving old programs. I do nopt see OS5 breaking that pattern no matter how different it may be.

What is an AmigaOS. Something that runs old programs? Or something that runs like an AmigaOS even if it natively only runs new programs?

PPC type CPUs will be around for a good long while, so long as they exist there is a place for OS4. That OS5 might not be so confined is a very good thing for the future long term development of Amiga type OSes.

Anyone who thinks that coding for particular CPUs has a long term future, is kidding themselves. The OS5 approach is a healthly albeit different track to follow for an OS that has always been CPU compiled - the problem is that in the long term this is not viable when hardware technology moves forward the way it has.

Will OS5 be a clone of OS4 - no I cannot see that happening. Will it be Amigan, well some aspects will be familiar because AmigaOS has always had some fine features which deserve to be preserved, it also has a lot of legacy issues that don't.

For example AmigaDOS, and AREXX do the right job, but won't it be far better to have a united scripting language doing both? Lua would be good, then there is SHEEP which may even be better, or perhaps even the Tao assembler (well not so good for scripting tasks as it stands).

Would OS5 be Amigan if AmigaDOS was left aside? In the long run is the question even worth posing?

cgutjahr 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 23:55:32
#89 ]
Cult Member

@Herewegoagain

Quote:

??? And you really think he is going to make such a statement in public if it didn't happen?

He already did stuff like that in the past, multiple times ("on schedule and rocking").

Quote:

LOL, by what reasoning!? TELL ME WHY IT WOULDN'T BE AMIGA OS??? I guess you are saying that JUST BECAUSE it's developed by AMIGA INC that it would not be AmigaOS?

There's no need to shout, we're just having a discussion.

I'm not the one assuming things, you are (i.e. that "OS5" is going to be a new version of AmigaOS). I just said trying to hire the Frieden brothers doesn't neccessarily mean their product is going to be AmigaOS related.

Quote:

Come again? Do you think that other companies just settle on the "here and now" and we'll worry about the future tomorrow? Amiga OS5 was suppose to be the entry into Amiga 64-bit OS, if I remember correctly.

If I want to know what lies in the future of AmigaOS, I ask the people currently working on it - i.e. the OS4 development team.

Quote:

But for me, if Amiga Inc produces an OS called AmigaOS5, then for me, it IS Amiga OS5, as long as it follows the principles that have always made the OS nice to use.

You seem to have misunderstood what I wrote. If Amiga Inc. comes up with a product that does indeed "follow the principles that have always made AmigaOS nice to use", I certainly won't complain.

But they had two more years and a lot more money than Hyperion to come up with any evidence that they are capable of producing such a product. I can't see such evidence, can you?

Their OS doesn't even have a kernel yet, wouldn't it be wise to reserve judgement until they show a product?

herewegoagain 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 1:54:33
#90 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
I'm not the one assuming things, you are (i.e. that "OS5" is going to be a new version of AmigaOS).

No, I'm just trying to figure out why you and others are dead set on claiming that OS5 is not going to be AmigaOS. That's all.

Quote:
If I want to know what lies in the future of AmigaOS, I ask the people currently working on it - i.e. the OS4 development team.

But we aren't talking about OS4, we were talking about OS5. Or are you saying the OS4 developers also have full knowlege of OS5?

Quote:
Their OS doesn't even have a kernel yet, wouldn't it be wise to reserve judgement until they show a product?

Thank you! You have just made the same point I've been trying to make. I just get frusterated at all of these "it's not AmigaOS" claims when nobody here has even seen it running.

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 18-Sep-2006 at 01:56 AM.

herewegoagain 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 2:30:15
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
Chill man! This is just a forum and I'm just expressing my views. No need to get
angry or anything.

I'm not angry... just asking questions and trying to get some of you to explain why you say what you do.

Quote:
Amiga Inc could take Linux make a new GUI for it and call it Amiga OS 5. Yes, it would
be AmigaOS officially. But IMHO if it's not a continuation of the old sources then how
could they call it a follow up?

Oh come on now... When did they say they were going to put it on top of Linux. That was way back in the Gateway days. They have approached the Friedens about coding the OS5 kernel, where do you get this Linux stuff from?

Quote:
Yes, Hyperion got paid by Amiga Inc. So? How does all the 40 (or so) coder's sources
get in the hands of Amiga Inc because of that?

So if they have paid the buy back, then they should get the code. Unless there were additional stipulations that need to be met, but that's between Hyperion and Amiga. I'll leave it to them to sort.

About those 40 coders...Amiga outsourced the OS to Hyperion. I would think it's Hyperions responsibility to pay those coders for work that they, in turn will get paid for from Amiga. Doesn't that make sense? Who hired those 40 coders to work on OS4, Amiga or Hyperion? Unless their contract states otherwise, I would think that it falls on Hyperion to pay them.

I'm all for those people getting paid for their work, but the whole OS4 fiasco has become a big stagnated cesspool. If the OS were released so that end users could start buying it, then everyone could start to make some money. The longer it stays tied up in this quagmire, the more many of us loose interest, and the less marketable it becomes.

For all of the Amiga Inc bashers, feel free to continue to trash talk, bash them and try to discredit anything that they have said. Nothing I say here is going to change your mind. You know where I stand and this is my last post on this subject.

SHADES 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 2:41:56
#92 ]
Cult Member

@Colin_Camper

Obviously far from the only one ;)

I have only one gripe, that Bill or someone from A Inc, a spokesperson, gets more involved with the community they have. I was wrapped reding this news, I'd love to hear more of it, more of the time.
It is why I have a lot of respect for Rogue from hyperion. He sees a lot of garbage, a lot of negative yeat he remains optimistic, continues to work and remains in the community and contributes constantly. Even gives updates on progress where he can.
Hat off to you Rogue.
Thanks to Bill too. Please keep it up! I'm still waiting!! ;) all the best to u ;)

As to the OS, I hope that OS5 builds on OS4 like the new Exec and memory management systems + some sort of multi-user support! lol.
I'd still buy OS4 now if I could use it though ;)

Last edited by SHADES on 18-Sep-2006 at 02:57 AM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 2:53:43
#93 ]
Cult Member

@Herewegoagain

Quote:

But we aren't talking about OS4, we were talking about OS5. Or are you saying the OS4 developers also have full knowlege of OS5?

I was talking about AmigaOS in general, not about a particular revision. As far as we know, the only party that is currently working on AmigaOS is the OS4 development team. Amiga Inc. might be working on something, and if they're working on something it might be AmigaOS related.

The point I'm trying to make goes like this: McEwen admits that they (AInc) and Hyperion disagree about the actual ownership of OS4. Now that the release of OS4 (by Hyperion) is getting closer, McEwen suddenly addresses the community again (after being completely silent for years) and says things like: "we're already working on OS5 for two years" or "OS5 might even be released before OS4" or "OS5 will be 100% Amiga" or "OS5 will run on multiple platforms".

Just as Hyperion is about to release a product McEwen doesn't want them to release (because he'd rather own it himself), he starts to hype OS5 - doesn't that strike you as a strange incident?

I'm just trying to say that under these circumstances, one shouldn't get too optimistic. Perhaps they are indeed working on something, but there's no evidence supporting that theory (yet). And with Amiga Inc.'s track record, they deserve all the scepticism they get confronted with. No need to get upset about said scepticism, IMHO.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 3:02:08
#94 ]
Elite Member

@joerg

Well, Bill said in the Q&A that OS5 is not going to be Intent-based, and you seem to be implying that it's not going to be Exec/TripOS based either. That leaves either some Unix variant (like MacOS X), some Windows variant (I doubt Bill would be able to say "it's still going to be Amiga" if that were the case though) or else a proprietary OS. If it's the last, it will not be the smartest design decision I've seen; we've all seen how long MOS and OS4 took before they got to a usable state, and they're still missing critical desktop apps like a web browser - any OS released for mass adoption in 2007 without a web browser will be laughed out of the market.

That means that either Amiga Inc are still on a downwards trajectory, or they're planning on using a Unix variant as a basis for OS5 (they can get away with calling that "Amiga" the same way Apple gets away with calling BSD Unix "MacOS"). It could also mean you're misinformed, but then it's not like any of us really knows what's going on anyway.

SHADES 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 3:05:38
#95 ]
Cult Member

@cgutjahr

I don't rember reading that in his replies? what ownership rights issues?
No wonder the bible has so many copies, I guess you can read whatever you like in to peoples sentances.
What I got out of all of it was A.Inc obviously still own all the rights to their property (whatever the extent to that is) and are making OS5.0 They are on good terms with Hyperion and are trying to settle some sort of payment issue and I'm sure they will. A.Inc wants everyone involved to be payed and they are close to a resolution. I'm sure hyperion/A.inc are in this relationship to benifit both parties and hopefuly get the damm product out or everyone looses.

You want absolute answers, you will need to go to the sources and ask them otherwise like you said, it's all speculation. Obviously people take what they want out of posts no matter how far off the track they become. Even Bill was amazed at the lies beeing spread. I would be too. Take it for what it was ment for. at the least a sign of good faith. Personally, i'd like to see more involvement but hey, i'm not the CEO of A.Inc.

Last edited by SHADES on 18-Sep-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 18-Sep-2006 at 03:07 AM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 3:43:04
#96 ]
Cult Member

@SHADES

Quote:

I don't rember reading that in his replies? what ownership rights issues?

Here are the relevant quotes:

"With regard to the "buyback" that everyone seems to know about, that money was paid and a contract signed by Ben Hermans on April 24th, 2003."

"Unfortunately, this is now in the hands of attorneys [...]"

He claims he made use of the "buyback" option (i.e. that AInc owns OS4 again), while Hyperion claims they're going to release OS4 themselves later this year (see the IRC session with the frieden brothers). I don't think you can "read whatever you like in to these sentences", it's pretty obvious actually.

Quote:

They are on good terms with Hyperion

No, he said he's on good terms with the Frieden brothers (who are not Hyperion) while he's giving a rather detailed description about the "legal issues" between him and Hyperion.

Quote:

You wan't absolute answers,

Where did I say that? I just said I reserve judgement until AInc delivers.

Quote:

Even Bill was amazed at the lies beeing spread.

Perhaps it's just the language barrier (I'm no native english speaker), but did you just accuse me of intentionally misinterprating McEwen's posts for the fourth time in one single posting?

If so: Thank you.

Last edited by cgutjahr on 18-Sep-2006 at 03:44 AM.

SHADES 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 4:30:03
#97 ]
Cult Member

@cgutjahr

All I am saying is there's no real evidence on what's going on. You can speculate as much as you like but you don't know. If you want answers, you need to ask the people that know. Weather that's the Friedens or otherwise so better contact them or A.Inc and get it all right. Speculation does nothing. It's like trying to guess when OS4 will be released.

I'm sorry but to me all your quotes have done are illistrate where the interlectual property lies. I don't see anything else of relevance there. There is such little evidence about what's going on in the legalities that it's anyone guess.

You have taken McEwen's posts the way you wanted to take them. That's fine but like I said, I believe the post was done in good faith and to try and inform the community what has and is going on and why so many delays.

Samwel 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 6:29:04
#98 ]
Elite Member

@Herewegoagain

Good that you're not angry.. It looked like it when I read your posts.

Quote:

Oh come on now... When did they say they were going to put it on top of Linux. That was way back in the Gateway days. They have approached the Friedens about coding the OS5 kernel, where do you get this Linux stuff from?

Come on what?!? Linux was an example. Note the "could" in my sentense.
I made this example because I agreed with your point that it's Amiga Inc's right to call their
OS5 AmigaOS if they choose to.

Some parts of OS4 is of course part of the buy back clause.. But I have read posts by
Rogue here on AW that states that all parts made by members of the team is their own
code and not owned by Hyperion or Amig Inc.
That's why I'm so sceptic about Amiga Inc doing this "follow up". Yes, it can be AmigaOS 5
if they name it so. But all new code with totally different API won't really be AmigaOS like
we all know it. Could be good or could be bad. We'll have to see when they're done with it.
But don't hold your breath for a release anytime soon. The kernel wasn't started on two
months ago so it's safe to assume it still has atleast a year before any commercial
release can be made.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Rogue 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 7:10:53
#99 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Herewegoagain

Quote:
And Amiga Inc have access to those same sources. Or do you say they do not understand how it works just because you don't like them? If so, then that's simply your oppinion, nothing more.

If by "same sources" you mean AmigaOS 4.0 source code, then no you are mistaken. Amiga does not have access to that, meaning that anything that AmigaOS 5.0 could be is a continuation of 3.1, but certainly not 4.0.

Quote:
What criteria do you base this that OS5 will not be Amiga OS?

Well if you would like to see an AmigaOS (N+1) as a continuation of AmigaOS N, then no, OS 5 is not AmigaOS, since at most it can be based around AmigaOS 3.1 but not 4.0. Amiga does not have access to OS 4 sources, they cannot have legal access to e.g. ExecSG since that is never covered by any buyback option since it doesn't belong to Hyperion.

Besides, and that is to the best of my knowledge (meaning I do not know for certain because I don't know much about legal affairs), the buyback option has not been triggered. Take this with a grain of salt, though, I do not speak for Hyperion and usually don't have a clue about legal stuff.

polka. 
Posted on 18-Sep-2006 7:31:33
#100 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Besides, and that is to the best of my knowledge (meaning I do not know for certain because I don't know much about legal affairs), the buyback option has not been triggered.

Comparing this with the statement that Bill gave, I think it's not too far fetched to assume that one subject of the current dispute between Amiga Inc. and Hyperion is the question wether the buyback option has been triggered or not.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle