Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OldFart:  19 mins ago
 pavlor:  22 mins ago
 zipper:  40 mins ago
 VooDoo:  56 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 1 min ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Unfair bounty?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: Unfair bounty?
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 14:14:34
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Mark

Quote:

Mark wrote:
@marcik

As I understand it this is Freetype 2 (if so there is a version of this on os4depot.)

Freetype and TTE2 are different ways for achieving the same result (rendering TT-fonts that is) , so no FT2 won't be much help here.

Bout those screaming "rip-off" .... Webcore is under a certain licence, and I'm quite sure the orginal authors knew exactly what they were doing, so noone following those rules is ripping them off (as long as there are no tricks to circumvent the licence).

From what I understand, Marcik accepted the MOS-bounty, because it was something he wanted to do and maybe even thought that it would be good price. Later he might have found out that it's more work than expected, but since a promise is a promise he stil kept working on it.

He never promised an OS4 version, but when asked he made an offer (as outlined in the bounty). Now it's up to the OS4-community to either accepts or decline the offer.

It may be that one cane live half a year on 3000Euro in Poland, but the real question is what could a qualified coder earn in the time it will take to make the port ?

Marcik could have sold Sputnik-OS4 at 20Euro a piece, but he decided to sell it to the complete OS4-community.

Now it's time for those who like to talk about OS4 as an "commercial OS", or start petitions to bring back big SW-houses back into the "lucrative Amiga-market" to show how easy it is to gather a measly 3000Euro

Profile     Report this post  
Chip 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 15:22:01
#62 ]
Cult Member

And what about the money what have been donated by OS4 users to the MOS bounty in the hope of an OS4 port? Is it going to be transferred to the OS4 bounty?

Mark 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 15:28:32
#63 ]
Team Member

@Kronos

Quote:

Freetype and TTE2 are different ways for achieving the same result (rendering TT-fonts that is) , so no FT2 won't be much help here.

hmm, I realise they are different, but I based my comment on this part of the docuemntation of ttengine:

Quote:

The render engine of the library is based on FreeType2 project
(http://www.freetype.org). This version of ttengine.library uses 2.1.3 FreeType
build.

Mark

kriz 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 16:14:22
#64 ]

This is good news for OS4 ! i think the best thing would be to support it, dont complain about it atleast...

Yeah!

adiaux 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 17:09:55
#65 ]

@Chip

Quote:

Chip wrote:
And what about the money what have been donated by OS4 users to the MOS bounty in the hope of an OS4 port? Is it going to be transferred to the OS4 bounty?

But come on now people, please!

I think this thread has been quite entertaining this far, and I have read many of the comments with great amazement. The very existence of the thread feels like a joke in a way!

I have donated to the Sputnik MorphOS bounty, and I would almost consider donating to this one as well *despite* I don't think there will ever be another OS4 hardware available for me to buy. Why? Well, it goes to the same coder, for the same project. It's not like it's much money in the context anyway, and in my view any money would encourage marcik to continue this browser project no matter through which channel he gets it. That's what counts IMHO, encouragement!

This is the only realistic chance for OS4 to get a decent browser, a kind of application that is essential today for any desktop. "Unfair bounty" - what a bunch of crybabies you are!

A500 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 17:32:10
#66 ]

I personally charge US$150.00/hr. It does not seem like this is a lot to me.

Krashan 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 17:43:38
#67 ]

@Mark

TTEngine2 is a higher abstraction layer on top of [parts of] FreeType2 library. As the most important functionality of TTE2 is implemented in AmigaOS 4 (like unicode support in diskfont.library), TTEngine is not needed in AmigaOS 4 version of Sputnik (i guess it will be not needed in MOS version soon).

logicalheart 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 18:26:17
#68 ]
Cult Member

@jahc

I encourage people to NOT contribute to ANY bounties. When the product is finished, how good will it be, and who will maintain the code? Buy applications that are already released and supported. - Lars

ssolie 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 18:30:37
#69 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma
Quote:
"Unfair bounty" - what a bunch of crybabies you are!

I really don't think we need a lecture from you about crybabies...
Quote:

I believe I have donated $200 to this bounty, and I have always been prepared to double that up. But that is for an *open source* browser, not a closed, commercial browser that others will get for $50 or so ...

The *open source* part is really important here IMHO. It's what's making the difference! It's about long-term guarantee of development. *That* would make a difference to the platform. I am quite disappointed that [marcik] now considers putting a knife in that back. He should really make up his mind about this, and do it *now*!

rzookol 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 18:32:50
#70 ]

@logicalheart

so which css browser could I buy ?

Rob 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 19:33:03
#71 ]
Elite Member

Over a quarter of the way already. At this rate Marcik will be working on the OS4 version very soon.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 19:57:22
#72 ]
Team Member

@some people on this thread

If you want to run a hobby OS and want modern things for it you have to pay, short of being lucky if there is a programmer willing to donate time. There is no point in comparing the pricetag for the same project from one hobby OS to another.

I would suggest that having threads like this is counter-productive. If you want programmers to see that these bounties are a way to make decent side money without much BS to deal with I don't think you want to be having threads like this.

This is part of what you need to deal with running a fringe hobby system. Its part of the expense of that hobby IF you want capabilities to increase. If you don't want to chance "losing" the money then you don't need to donate is what it comes down to.

Everyone has a right to say what they want of course, but its probably worth thinking about how it may scare off the few programmers who might even consider such projects in the first place.

I mean look at the Amiga Mozilla project. They list it being over $10,000 USDfor its bounty. How many years is that out there and not complete?

I think this is a much more productive way to look at this:

http://amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=513&forum=3

And even though I have NO WAY to run OS 4.0, I have just donated the requested 10 EURO.

Amiga 1200

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 20:06:10
#73 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Just donated 20 Euro - enough to test the water, but not enough to cause me any bother should nothing come of it.

My biggest gripe with Amiga OS is the lack of modern web browser - for me it rendered my A1 useless. If a compliant browser is delivered that will be a great step, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is.. I hope he deliveres.

marcik 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 22:08:10
#74 ]

@Chip

Quote:

I see no problem with that (well, MorphOS bounty should be updated
first to get full list of donors) but afaik there were refunds for
such a people.

OldAmigan 
Posted on 16-Feb-2007 22:47:15
#75 ]
Cult Member

@marcik

Well done Marcik for going on with this port. I hope the bounty target is reached. As far as I'm concerned you, and any developer who is willing to put time and effort into Amiga software of any type should be applauded.

@the naysayers in this thread

If Marcik was an OS4/A1 user and wanted this bounty to produce his browser, which gives us abilities which no other Amiga browser does, and which we constantly plague IBrowse and AWeb developers for,
would you still be be decrying him?

I keep on coming back to this thread (and others too) with total amazement to see that there are so many people who are so negative towards anyone who doesn't fit into the A1/OS4 mould. I had fondly hoped the stupid flame wars had finished, especially as we, the members of this site, have recently voted to include comments and threads from any Amigan of any persuasion. Instead, we seem to have invited all and sundry in merely to slag them off.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 17-Feb-2007 0:23:28
#76 ]
Team Member

@OldAmigan

Quote:
I keep on coming back to this thread (and others too) with total amazement to see that there are so many people who are so negative towards anyone who doesn't fit into the A1/OS4 mould. I had fondly hoped the stupid flame wars had finished, especially as we, the members of this site, have recently voted to include comments and threads from any Amigan of any persuasion. Instead, we seem to have invited all and sundry in merely to slag them off.

Well said. In the classic car hobby some people consider themselves "Ford guys" or "Chevy guys". They may even wear T shirts making fun of the other brand. BUT almost any guy into old cars would stop to help a guy stuck on the side of the road with his classic car. And whenever new vendors come around, even if they don't make for your car day 1, its still appreciated that they are out there, because maybe they can become a source that could be courted to make stuff for your car in the future. The same applies here. Negativity could be chasing away people reading this site anonymously . People who could maybe be otherwise future programmers for the scene.

Amiga 1200

quenthal 
Posted on 17-Feb-2007 1:01:13
#77 ]

@marcik

What does this bounty mean for possible OS3.x -version? Could this bounty be for OS3.x version too (for example including main binaries compiled for both OS3.x & OS4 and lighter gui for MUI3.8/OS3.x and MOS-comparable MUI-version for os4)? This way there would be horde of possible donations from classic users, amithlon/uae-users and OS4-users.

Last edited by quenthal on 17-Feb-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Last edited by quenthal on 17-Feb-2007 at 01:02 AM.

Akiko 
Posted on 17-Feb-2007 1:16:11
#78 ]
Cult Member

@quenthal

I too believe there is incredible scope for support from OS3.x users. There is still many more classic and winuae users than is OS4 and MorphOS combined.

Last edited by Akiko on 17-Feb-2007 at 01:17 AM.

CD32/ FMV Module

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Feb-2007 1:19:58
# ]

I think it's a really good way to get software ported.

There should be an intermediary for this sort of thing. It's not quite like AROS/Haiku bounties - here the developer sets the bounty and the terms, not the user.

That body could hold the money, enforce the terms and ensure that the money goes to the developer or back to the contributor as required. I believe Marcik, and I think he's doing hugely valuable work, but it could work for other projects - providing the body itself is reputable of course.

EDIT: And in the interests of harmony, it would be great if the bounties could be for any of AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 17-Feb-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Report this post  
wolfe 
Posted on 17-Feb-2007 4:02:25
#80 ]

@marcik

Donated

Keep up the good work.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle