Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  11 mins ago
 zipper:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  35 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Has any developer received the dev board from ack?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
SpaceDruid 
Re: Has any developer received the dev board from ack?
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 21:17:22
#81 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Derfs

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need one single focus point to direct our anger and frustrations. With all the latest info from the court case messing with our heads and suggesting that Amiga Inc isn't the great evil so many have suggested and Hyperion are not the great saviours we had hoped - things have turned really screwy round here.

Can't we all just figure out who the hate figure really is?

I suggest we blame Tony Blair for everything. He's going soon so it shouldn't matter which side of the political spectrum you follow and he has the same smarmy language skills of Bill Buck, the broken promise history of Hyperion and the turning on his own kind mentality of Bill McEwan. He'd be a great hate figure.

Lets all hate Tony Blair for a greater tommorrow!

Google Translate

Profile     Report this post  
Boot_WB 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 21:30:28
#82 ]

@SpaceDruid

Indeedy - only a few more weeks to go. Must get the champagne on ice, and order some bunting.

"Maggie, Maggie, Maggie! Out, Out, Out!
Maggie, Maggie, Maggie! Out, Out, Out!
Maggie! Out! Maggie! Out!
Maggie, Maggie, Maggie! Out, Out, Out!"

Ahh, the memories Happy days.

Fransexy 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 22:24:45
#83 ]
Elite Member

@amitv

Quote:
Has any developer received the dev board from ack?

The same is now being questioned in osnews

Ferry 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 23:04:58
#84 ]
Cult Member

One silly question... With a partnership and a joint announcement with Amiga and given the current legal situation, does Adam have legal access to OS4 sources for his boards? I mean, even if he had the dev boards ready, what could developers develop with no access to the OS4 sources?

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200

Derfs 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 23:08:51
#85 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy

osnews isnt a news site, as they are not impartial, and you can see the sarcasm/bias dripping off the 'news' items.

they described original log of people asking ACK questions as '(ACK) held an IRC session' which is rubbish as i already said.

next is 'promised to release the first developer boards mid May' when the log they quote is 'Developer systems will be ready to ship to the select devs mid May'ish.' (notice the ish part) and that never seemed like definitive date to me, and as i said above he already said weeks back that they have been put back.

finally is the 'No photos' jibe, when the log they point to AGAIN shows them being wrong when ACK says 'No, I'm going to keep everyone hanging right up until the time is right'.

its one thing checking sources for a news article, but when you dont check what your article links to its just unforgivable.

Derfs 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 23:10:06
#86 ]
Cult Member

@Ferry

other developers would not need access to the OS4 sources for any work they would do. so it isnt a problem.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 23:33:50
#87 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid

Awwh! can't we blame Amiga Inc, just a little?

TrevorDick

Rob 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 0:12:56
#88 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid

Quote:
With all the latest info from the court case messing with our heads and suggesting that Amiga Inc isn't the great evil so many have suggested and Hyperion are not the great saviours we had hoped - things have turned really screwy round here.

How do you account for Amiga messing Jens Schoenfeld around you cannot attribute Amiga's failure to close that potentially lucrative deal to Hyperion hanging on to the OS4 sources.

You're certainly right about things being screwy round here, but I don't think it's a particularly recent trend though.

Last edited by Rob on 04-Jun-2007 at 12:14 AM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 3:09:31
#89 ]
Team Member

@ackcontrls

Quote:

ackcontrls wrote:
@1Mouse

Quote:
I would prefer to buy hardware with Linux and in the future (a true promise of) OS4 than no hardware at all.

Does this seem to make sense to anybody, or is just me

The biggest issue is that it takes extra manpower to support customers with Linux. The release of the AmigaOne with Linux at the beginning added extra work that detracted from the main goal. Customers will view this as lack of support, even when it is clearly stated that you will receive little support regarding Linux.

Adam

Hello Adam,

You seem to be participating extremely selectively. This can be understood to a degree with the lawsuit, but as pointed out almost all the announcements thus-far have been post lawsuit filing, so its hard to understand why we have silence now on the issue in the title of this thread. Its also evident you are reading this thread occasionally since you will answer some of the postings, so for the benefit of your customer base I publicly ask you here, is it true developer board releases have been delayed, and if so until when do you anticipate?

Thanks!

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 04-Jun-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 3:40:12
#90 ]
Team Member

@Derfs

Quote:

Derfs wrote:
@scabit

i believe what most people dont realise, and this is not a go at you scabit, is that ACk has never had an official irc question and answer session. it is more he is online and people ask him questions. as he isnt a complete #### (IMHO anyways heh) he answers them as best he can.

Adam is a victim of being too nice, as if he never said anything the general public would be none the wiser, and find someone else to abuse. i mean, there is always amiga.inc isnt there?

If he mis-spoke let him clarify.

Official Q&A, "non-official"(?) Q&A, whatever. He should be well aware from the whole Powervixxen thing, let alone in general that communication is key to the community. Its pretty simple, if you mis-spoke say it. If you didn't but circumstances have changed delaying it than say that.

Quote:
osnews isnt a news site, as they are not impartial, and you can see the sarcasm/bias dripping off the 'news' items.

Whether you think OSNews.com is a real news site or not this is not good for our community to be laughing stocks over and over with a news item on this now on a site made for more general consumption.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 04-Jun-2007 at 03:42 AM.

Amiga 1200

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 3:48:37
#91 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Oh, come on. OSNews is an OSS portal, which means that anything that isn't Linux is suspect and anything closed source is downright evil. AmigaOS, to them, is a glimpse of what will eventually happen to all closed source software. They're not laughing, they're leering.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 4:26:13
#92 ]
Team Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Oh, come on. OSNews is an OSS portal, which means that anything that isn't Linux is suspect and anything closed source is downright evil. AmigaOS, to them, is a glimpse of what will eventually happen to all closed source software. They're not laughing, they're leering.

They don't seem to leer at MorphOS in blurbs on that OS I have read there (not that I have read them all I am sure). But that unto itself makes me think you may be exaggerating a bit there (not saying intentionally). Regardless, its not good that the ACK delay news is spreading on a site like that. Amiga and ACK made press releases for good publicity, not bad. All the more reason this is better cleared up quickly.

Amiga 1200

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 4:38:23
#93 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Interesting. I just went to osnews and searched for "morphos". I clicked on the most recent "big" event, which was the MOS 2.0 release, and scanned through the comments. There was not one single negative comment. Then I searched for "OS4" and clicked on the most recent non lawsuit related story, "Amiga OS4 Finds New Hardware Partner". The vast majority of the comments were derisive in nature, from Duke Nuke Forever comparisons to reminding everyone of all the allegedly illegal actions of the past.

I think I need to revise my theory, based on this evidence. I used to think the bias against amiga related news was OSS advocacy like one finds on slashdot. However, it seems more like osnews has a filter function going on when it comes to OS4 and MOS, where only the bad things about OS4, Amiga Inc and Hyperion are mentioned and only the good things regarding MOS and Genesi count. I don't see any reason why this latest story, complete with cute "pigs will fly" reference, is any different. OS "news" my ####.

koan 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 6:22:36
#94 ]

@Derfs

What a load of rubbish! I'm been reading OSNews for some time now and the articles they post are short and to the point, they rarely have bias. (I don't read the comments, that is something different).

Quote:
they described original log of people asking ACK questions as '(ACK) held an IRC session' which is rubbish as i already said.

ACK goes on IRC, answers questions : how is that not an "IRC session" ?

Quote:
its one thing checking sources for a news article, but when you dont check what your article links to its just unforgivable.

They are not an Amiga news website, they report on what is in the news. You can't expect them to get all the tiny details right. Paraphrasing what other people have said is necessary when you are summarising.

ACK has made a number of rather bold/questionable statements, many of which are bound to draw scepticism, e.g. "dev boards ready in a few weeks", "faster than a dual G5 mac", "legal proceedings nothing to do with me", "shipping motherboards only is bad", "supporting linux wastes time". It's no surprise people want to get answers.

Either ACK is going to show a board (pictures/presentation at a show), get testimony from developers who received a board; i.e. basically show that something has been delivered OR he's going to have to answer some of these questions. IF he doesn't do either then no one will believe him, except the most crazed want-it-to-be-true fans.

The fact that there are all these questions does not bode well; especially so when it is reported on other websites even if you do not trust them.
koan

koan 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 6:24:09
#95 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:
They're not laughing, they're leering

Is that why they cover Zeta/Haiku and Solaris ?

I think you're confused with slashdot.

koan

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 8:48:20
#96 ]

@CodeSmith

Reality is a b*tch, ain't it?

Look, I know you are furstrated that ACK appears to be messing up here, but that is NO reason to take it out on OSNews. I'm just doing my job, and that is reporting the news. The fact that you don't like it that your OS is getting negative attention is not something you should take out on me - you ought to be taking it out on Adam and ACK. THEY have been breaking promises here, NOT me.

Oh, and I really have no idea what "OSS" has to do with all this nonsense. It's always funny to see how every community crucifies OSNews for being anti-{insert project name}. Just a few days ago, I have been crucified for being anti-OSS and anti-GPL, and now you come in here, crucifying me for being only pro-OSS!

Don't you see the madness in your claims here?

ikir 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 9:33:04
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

So it is all ok It works only in this ways online.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 10:08:35
#98 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Everyone

Tony Blair, Tony Blair.

Tune your anger towards him..

He also kills puppys.

Seriously though, since nobody has come forward with the answer to the origional question, I think it's safe to assume the answer is "not yet". So why are we all trolling now?

If somebody wishes to start threads called;

"Why I hate ack"
"Why I hate OS News"
"Why I love MorphOS and want to smear it all over my body as I give myself to it utterly"

or any other topic which has reared it's biased face then please do so on another thread.

Google Translate

Androxyn 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 10:43:49
#99 ]

@SpaceDruid

Why would developer boards be shipping? Amiga does not yet have OS4 in their possession. And since the ACK machines are commissioned by Amiga to run OS4, it would be stupid to proceed any further until the OS is secured.

mailman 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 11:14:46
#100 ]

@Androxyn

Quote:
And since the ACK machines are commissioned by Amiga to run OS4

I haven't seen a single word about it in any of the official announcements.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle