Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 172 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 kolla:  13 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 BigD:  43 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 jPV:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaOS4 runs on MacMini
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
vision 
Re: AmigaOS4 runs on MacMini
Posted on 17-Jun-2008 20:27:26
#141 ]

I just buyed a MAC MINI with the features that most likely will work with the OS4 hack/loader/whatever (1.5 GHZ and Radeon 9200 64MB). It was VERY EASY to find many of them availables in Spain (a country not particuraly mac-lover) just that concrete model, BTW because there are TONS of them produced and obviously MORE THAN ANY PRODUCTION THAT ANY AMIGA COMPANY COULD EVER ACHIEVE IN ITS WILDEST DREAMS IN AT LEAST 2 YEARS. I am also sick of this situation and all the stupidities that I can read here. So..

If anyone can help me on how to get OS4 running, please send me a pm, it will be highly appreciated. I also offer my system and my time as a tester for that project if there is still some glitches/improvements that need to be tested.

Thanks a lot in advance

Profile     Report this post  
DaveAE 
Posted on 17-Jun-2008 20:42:56
#142 ]

@vision

You are aware that there is no 'project', it's not just about 'glitches', it's not legal, you would risk your data and you just bought the Mac Mini for nothing, right?

vision 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 0:54:20
#143 ]

@DaveAE

Yes, there is a project, cause I have some files of it already

How do you know it is not legal? Have you done it, to be so sure?
Anyway, just in case it isn´t, it is still something more important to me: it is FAIR. So fock the owners of the legal thing.

I bought my Mini for nothing? yeah, let's wait and see it. In case it never works, I would still be like all of you.

Oh! and did you forget about OS X?

opi 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 8:20:48
#144 ]
Team Member

@DaveAE

Well, if I bought OS4, and my A1 went down, I think I can safely hack it to work. Reverse engineering product because it EOLed was legal in EU, IIRC (I can google for that, I have to inject some coffee first). Also, I don't believe that authors should have final say on what I can go with a piece of software/music I got from them.

I buy CDs, I format shift it to MP3. I buy OSX, install it on Hackintosh. If there would be a patchset for OS4 to run on Mac, and I would have legal OS4 disc, I don't see why I couldn't use it.

You can state in EULA that it is forbidden but that's just a ground for not respecting your warranty or providing you a support.

Why legal-frenzy Apple didn't kill Hackintosh?

DaveAE 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 8:41:41
#145 ]

@opi

Ok, let's forget the legal discussion then since it usually ends up nowhere.
This OS4-on-Mini version is just not safe to use (you can easily lose your data) and has no network or audio. So why bother, really?

opi 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 8:55:23
#146 ]
Team Member

@DaveAE

Quote:
Ok, let's forget the legal discussion then since it usually ends up nowhere.

Sure.

Quote:
This OS4-on-Mini version is just not safe to use (you can easily lose your data) and has no network or audio. So why bother, really?

I guess some people want it so hard that they will agree on shortcomings. No, I wouldn't want to run it on Mac if it's so unfinished.

Crumb 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 9:01:01
#147 ]
Elite Member

@DaveAE

Then there's no problem even if all Mac Mini users were running the hacked os4 now. You can let that users "play" because it's useless.

Last edited by Crumb on 18-Jun-2008 at 09:01 AM.

DaveAE 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 9:19:23
#148 ]

@Crumb

Perhaps, but what bothered me is that people are buying Mac Mini's without realizing that it may not run OS4 so well as they think. If they didn't intend to run OSX on it, then that's some money down the drain isn't it?

Jupp3 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 9:55:00
#149 ]

@DaveAE

Quote:
Perhaps, but what bothered me is that people are buying Mac Mini's without realizing that it may not run OS4 so well as they think.

iirc, someone bought a Nintendo GameCube after realizing that it uses a PPC processor, and thus will run OS4 (as it runs on some PPC based hardware), so buying a MacMini can't be THAT bad

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 10:06:56
#150 ]
Elite Member

@voyager2007

Quote:
Ah, that's why. But why didn't they follow the CHRP standard?? Or is U-Boot CHRP compliant?

Not sure really, except that perhaps OF wasn't made to work with the Teron and UBoot was. Or perhaps it was too "Open." It was also conceived in 1995 and so maybe though not to be relevant.

UBoot can't boot Debian Linux CD's so isn't CHRP compliant. It would have been good to include a CHRP emulation layer because it would have allowed us to support more out of the box. Did you know a Pegasos can directly boot a Debian Linux PPC boot CD? They even have their own drawer. You know why? OpenFirmware, it made it easy for them.

Quote:
(p.s.: I know CHRP has been mothballed in the meantime, but there's really no reason not to use OpenFirmware; especially when you look at bPlan's that can boot from many file systems ... plus initialize PC graphic cards ... with a built-in x86 emulator ... )

Yes, as I pointed out as well. I know this has been answered, but how do you think PC graphic cards work in an AmigaOne?

vision 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 11:23:40
#151 ]

@DaveAE

I agree that no one should buy a Mac Mini thinking it will run OS4 flawlessly, but thats neither my case nor the 99% people here.

We just wanna enjoy OS4 and if this is the only hardware available (and the most advanced and reliable as a plus), we will use it. We don´t care if it doesn´t have sound or network. Not today, but maybe tomorrow.

That's sure as hell a better option than having NOTHING at all. And I preffer to sum up another OS4 user than wait watching how the Amiga platform is completely dissapearing in this silly situation, doing nothing.

And for those who may think Amiga is not dying, think twice: This is the most important Amiga forum worldwide. How many people are being active these days? how many care to post? 100, 200?

This is terrible, embarrasing, pathetic!! MSX and Spectrum have THOUSANDS more developers and users.

In this situation, I think that someone who just wanna keep being "legal" or "polite" has NO BLOOD and is simply STUPID.

Benji 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 11:27:45
#152 ]
Cult Member

@DaveAE

Quote:
If they didn't intend to run OSX on it, then that's some money down the drain isn't it?

Given the choice of an A1 or a PPC Macmini I know which drain I would prefer to pour money down... For a start one is much cheaper and easier to get hold of!

voyager2007 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 11:44:34
#153 ]

@Hypex
Quote:
Yes, as I pointed out as well. I know this has been answered, but how do you think PC graphic cards work in an AmigaOne?

I'm not sure if that's possible, but I thought they would initialize the graphics card themselves, without the BIOS. Being able to run the BIOS is an advantage of course.

voyager2007 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 11:51:36
#154 ]

@vision
Quote:
This is terrible, embarrasing, pathetic!! MSX and Spectrum have THOUSANDS more developers and users.

Oh, this has many reasons.

One reason for example is, that on retro computing sites, the Amiga is often misrepresented and portrayed falsely, because the Amiga was by orders of magnitude more complex than your average VIC-20.

Some people who used the Amiga never knew what it could do, they simply ran games off of bootable disks, and nothing more.

Many people have moved on, did something else and forgot about the Amiga, but would remember it if they were reminded of it.

Quote:
In this situation, I think that someone who just wanna keep being "legal" or "polite" has NO BLOOD and is simply STUPID.

Well, I could say some mean things about OS4 and its developers, but I don't. I don't want to start any flamewars or ####fights. This is just not the place for it. And we're all grown-up people, right?

I'll only say that the suckage began with AmigaOS 2.0.

DaveAE 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 12:14:38
#155 ]

@vision

Quote:
We just wanna enjoy OS4 and if this is the only hardware available

That's my point. You won't enjoy it. But you probably will deny it until you really have it running.

And I really hope you weren't calling me stupid!

Framiga 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 14:21:32
#156 ]
Elite Member

without speaking about the code that have been stolen :-/

vision 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 16:37:39
#157 ]

@DaveAE

No, of course I was not talking about you. I was generally speaking, and not meant as an insult, but as "shake" for the people to react.

Sure there is something wrong with the community (appart from the obvious problems) because there are other platform-communities that achieved a lot more than us. And I including myself, even I think I did more than the majority already.

What left me curious is that, even you criticized the Mini thing, you seem to know already a lot more than me

Varthall 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 16:47:29
#158 ]

@vision
Quote:

vision wrote:
@DaveAE

Yes, there is a project, cause I have some files of it already

How do you know it is not legal? Have you done it, to be so sure?
Anyway, just in case it isn´t, it is still something more important to me: it is FAIR. So fock the owners of the legal thing.

The author of the loader has declared that's illegal, I believe he has posted here on aw.net too. Also, one thing is to make your own hack to run your copy of OS4, and to distribute your own work. Another thing is to distribute someone's else work without his consent.

But I understand your wish to try to make things proceed in the Amiga community, I feel the same lately as many others.

Last edited by Varthall on 18-Jun-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 17:03:16
#159 ]
Elite Member

@Turrican3

Quote:
Actually I can hardly qualify as an AROS expert, but I understand their goal was just to implement an Amiga-compatible API in x86, so what's the point of being able to run 68k code? We already have UAE for running native AmigaOS 3.x software...

The point. So we can run legacy 68k applications?Same as Petunia does on OS4. In that case, why not just use UAE on AROS for all the 68k stuff? You are right, that would run 68k on AROS.

Now, AROS is IIRC, more like a MorphOS x86. It's built on the 3.1 Exec API and uses MUI as it's GUI. So, then, I just realised that a Mac OS4 port, and all the posts about porting OS4 to x86 are useless! We already have AROS! For all intents and purposes, AROS does the same thing as OS4, that is run an updated version of AmigaOS on modern hardware.

So what is all this hoo hah about? Everybody forget about Mac mini, forget about OS4 on x86, AROS does everything! Everybody use AROS now!!! It fulfils all of your dreams! It's the new Amithlon! Were you all so blind?! An open source x86 AmigaOS was already on the market and you all missed it?

Quote:
Well, maybe the actual "final" decision about HW was not made directly by Amiga.

How did it go again? bPlan, Eyetech, MAI? Interesting path of decisions there.

Quote:
But please, remember they gave a license to a certain company to sell HW (trade)marked "Amiga One": don't you think there was a reason why Eyetech chose a proprietary motherboard instead of licensing an off-the-shelf one, being an hardware manufacturer (actually a reseller, but the point is stil valid).

What off the shelf PPC boards did we have 5 years ago? Actually now after a look there seem to be plenty of PPC boards we can make use of. In evaluation kits sure but all we need is for the OS4 to team to choose a good board, test it and port OS4 drivers over to it. Manufacture a run of them where they can get the best price for each. Take pre orders through Amiga. Etc.

Quote:
I mean, there was a partnership: Amiga had the brand, but (IMHO) didn't want to take the risks; Eyetech (and Hyperion) chose to take those risks, but you know, when you take a risk, a financial risk, you surely want to gain some $$$. And going proprietary was the only possible answer, from *their* point of view at least.

The end result. Amiga wins out with license to print money from the deal. Either way it goes.

I think even if Eyetech bought a 1000 Pegasos boards, stuck UBoot on it, and re-badged them as AmigaOnes we would have had a cheaper board that was better.

gadgetgaz 
Posted on 18-Jun-2008 19:44:05
#160 ]

@Hypex

What else, apart from uboot and a ppc processor, is required to boot AmigaOS?
I am probably showing my ignorance here.

The only reason I ask is because I have recently been mucking about with a Buffalo Linkstation (266MHz PPC) NAS device to get Slimserver running on it. Some guys here at the Buffalo NAS-Central have ported uboot to the Likstation.
That would be a cool project!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle