Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  8 mins ago
 djnick:  28 mins ago
 agami:  44 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaOS4 runs on MacMini
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
jack 
Re: AmigaOS4 runs on MacMini
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:28:25
#21 ]
Cult Member

@fryguy

Quote:

fryguy wrote:
@_PAB_

This was actually quite interesting. Seems like A Inc also been in contact with the italians. Oh and Mac Miniport would have been sweet.

Port to non-mainstream hardware? (with all the respect, Macs aren't that common)
This should be second priority. First priority(imho) is any new licensed hardware and OS4 for classic PPC hardware.

Jack

"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg

Profile     Report this post  
jack 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:35:28
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

Quote:

-Mac port would have been cool with lots of cheap HW available!

Not a nice route to go unless one already has the hardware. I don't see a good repair support for PPC macs in near future. When the warranty of the last produced PPC mac expires, Apple will drop the support to minimum acceptable level (at most). Not a long-term option at all.

Quote:

-PS3 would have been sweet as it would let a lot on non-amigans give OS4 a try relatively cheap.

Na'ive option imho. How many geeks would pay for "trying OS4"? How many non-geeks?

Quote:
I hope this lawsuit is finished soon, but don't dare to believe it will be so.

Agree Sigh...

Jack

"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg

pixie 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:37:02
#23 ]
Elite Member

@jack

Quote:
Port to non-mainstream hardware? (with all the respect, Macs aren't that common)
This should be second priority. First priority(imho) is any new licensed hardware and OS4 for classic PPC hardware.

With all respect Mac hardware is better then any presented Amiga wannabe, till now...

Pyramider 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:37:38
#24 ]

@Shadowolf

Quote:
If the company now known as Amiga Inc. has the right to do so it is up to them issuing licences to use AmigaOS4 with.

But then they will not do so until they have all 'issues' solved. Hardware available, OS4 ready and source owned, developers under contract to perform additional work, etc.
They have been waiting a long time for all the pieces to fall into place, and will continue to do so.

Quote:
Apparently this has not happened the past five years and I find no real evidence from before that lawsuit that there is a genuine interest in AmigaOS.

Hyperion's point indeed, (and I personally agree) but I have not seen any proof of that. Moreover, I think such a thing is hard to proof.

The way I read it, it was as if McEwen went ballistic when he learned that OS4 was running on Moana.

Will he ever learn that the Amiga is way bigger than Amiga Inc.

madtrekker 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:45:58
#25 ]

@Shadowolf

Quote:
Apparently this has not happened the past five years and I find
no real evidence from before that lawsuit that there is a genuine
interest in AmigaOS.

The chat transcript between Bill and the Friedens makes it clear that Amiga Inc have worked on finding several different hardware platforms for OS4. That hardly constitutes no interest, so I don't see how you could realistically claim that. I certainly don't think it will stand up in court, and in light of the latest information, I no longer believe it to be true myself. (Whereas before there was always some doubt as to Amiga Inc's true motives since they were so secretive)

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:48:04
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Pyramider

Quote:

The way I read it, it was as if McEwen went ballistic when he learned that OS4 was running on Moana.

Will he ever learn that the Amiga is way bigger than Amiga Inc.

Uhm... i start to doubt.

He could do business with the Amiga Computer or platform, but it seems that this is not his primary interest.

What's wrong, what's wrong?

madtrekker 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:53:00
#27 ]

@Pyramider

Quote:

It seems from the court documents that he believes that a third party has been able to obtain the source code for OS4 - something that Amiga Inc has been trying, unsuccessfully, to achieve for some time - and as far as he is concerned they own the code!

However, it reads to me more like in reality ACube contracted some existing OS4 developers who already had access to the code to work on the port, with the expectation that any legal issues regarding licensing of the code could be resolved between Hyperion and Amiga Inc prior to it every being made public.

Actually it seems that ACube have taken a big gamble by dealing directly with Hyperion. This obviously pushed Amiga Inc to finalise a deal with ACK, so it seems unlikely that ACube will now be able to hook up with Amiga Inc if Hyperion lose this court case - at least as long as everything goes smoothly with ACK's hardware. Before this move, it seems they were the front-runners, with Bill mentioning the SAM at Pianeta Amiga. Of course they could always fall back to their Linux plans if things do turn sour, but this will obviously be a big set-back to their plans.

Last edited by madtrekker on 27-May-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Turrican3 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:54:24
#28 ]

@jack
Quote:
Not a nice route to go unless one already has the hardware. I don't see a good repair support for PPC macs in near future. When the warranty of the last produced PPC mac expires, Apple will drop the support to minimum acceptable level (at most). Not a long-term option at all.

I strongly disagree.

Why a MiniMac should be less reliable (as a long term investment) than an Amiga-ish board, produced in very small batches by even smaller companies? It was Mai that went bankrupt, not Apple.

saimo 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:57:15
#29 ]
Elite Member

@ stew & jorkany

Quote:
I assume the person who said that is referring to the many, many times Rogue stated that a Mac port was impossible

I'm pretty sure that those many times amount to zero. Rogue made it very clear that, licensing issues aside, they were not willing to do a port without proper documentation (who knows what SW development is like, understands the underlying reasons), not that it was impossible. In fact, this started billt's initiative/challenge to get as much documentation as possible about the Macs - an initiative that AFAIK did not get much response from whiners.

Quote:
Give the man a cookie (or beer)! I thought that the answers were obvious. THe question was raised repeatedly, esp. in light of the rumours, and shot down repeatedly. Makes for repeatedly lieing by someone.

Since they did not say that it was impossible, they did not lie. You are jumping to wrong conclusions.

edit: mind you, in this post Rogue explicitly says:
Quote:
Of course it is possible, from a technical point of view.

The only lie here is "Rogue stated that a Mac port was impossible" (see topmost quote).

saimo

Last edited by saimo on 27-May-2007 at 09:10 PM.

jack 
Posted on 27-May-2007 20:57:32
#30 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

Quote:

pixie wrote:
@jack
With all respect Mac hardware is better then any presented Amiga wannabe, till now...

Second-hand macs market isn't that lively everywhere. Especially not here. So a scenario of buying a mac on e-bay and receiving it broken isn't too cheerful (snail mail is not too delicate with electronics). The handling of the appliance in Customs Office is very dangerous (the tower case for my A1200 came with broken panel door and A1 came with definite crack on the mobo, luckily at the corner where there's nothing functional except the hole for the mounting screw). We need a non-temporary solution, but it's fails to materialize time after time.

Too many daydreaming about minimacs/ps3/etc when there're ready designs, waiting for the license.

Oh, another issue: how AInc would issue a license to minimacs when they aren't produced anymore? They should redefine a licensing scheme. Looks too tricky.

Jack

The_Editor 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:04:27
#31 ]
Elite Member

@madtrekker

Quote:

something that Amiga Inc has been trying, unsuccessfully, to achieve for some time - and as far as he is concerned they own the code!

I can quite visualise Bill McEwen spitting beer all over his monitor when Acube typed that !!

saimo 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:14:02
#32 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

Quote:
I can quite visualise Bill McEwen spitting beer all over his monitor when Acube typed that !!

saimo

jorkany 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:15:54
#33 ]
Cult Member

@saimo
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that those many times amount to zero. Rogue made it very clear that, licensing issues aside, they were not willing to do a port without proper documentation (who knows what SW development is like, understands the underlying reasons), not that it was impossible.

Is there a school nearby where you can go learn to quote properly? What I said was:
"I assume the person who said that is referring to the many, many times Rogue stated that a Mac port was impossible because there was no way Hyperion could get ahold of the s00per sekrit Mac mobo documentation"

Rogue made it clear that they couldn't port without the documentation, which he said was impossible to get ahold of - ergo, a port of OS4 was not possible. It's also hilarious that despite the fact that Hyperion was not holding up their end of the deal with AInc. on several key points, Rogue continued to say that they couldn't port to anything that wasn't licensed - lol! I guess Hyperion finally decided, what the hell are we even bothering with that old standby for, let's port this thing anyway and see if AInc. even has any teeth.

You even go on to perpetrate the lie that Mac documentation cannot be obtained:
Quote:
In fact, this started billt's initiative/challenge to get as much documentation as possible about the Macs - an initiative that AFAIK did not get much response from whiners.

Here, I'll let everybody in on a little secret. I *don't* have the Mac hardware documentation that you would need to port OS4 to it. But unlike those who think it doesn't exist, I *do* know where to get it: Apple. I have no impetus to get it myself, because undoubtably at some point it requires paying money to get it. But the fact remains that there are other OSes out there besides OS X which run on the Mac, therefore I do know the necessary documentation is available in some way, shape or form.

If anyone is really interested in seeing the documentation for free, then contact Hyperion and maybe they'll let you have a look at their copy, lol!

(Hint for Saimo: once a lie has been exposed as a lie, there's no long any point in supporting it.)

jack 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:16:33
#34 ]
Cult Member

@Turrican3

Quote:

Why a MiniMac should be less reliable (as a long term investment) than an Amiga-ish board, produced in very small batches by even smaller companies? It was Mai that went bankrupt, not Apple.

Why should Apple provide service to theese when they've gone Intel? It's their best interest is to squeeze the PPC stuff out of circulations, and fast. It was another story if they would have been produced...

Another difficulty: how they're going to be "dongelized"? Flash it with U-Boot? How many ppl will go to buy a mac, reflash it just to make it an Amiga? I would, I guess you would, but lot of ppl here wouldn't. And I hope these sport only ATI, and no NVidia gfx.

Anyway, if the port is (almost) ready, it should be (finished,) licensed and released.
But new hardware is the key...

Jack

Turrican3 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:18:21
#35 ]

@saimo
Quote:
Since they did not say that it was impossible, they did not lie. You are jumping to wrong conclusions.

[OT maybe?!]
I just edited a message on this board to reflect this, in all honesty I have to say that I remembered the story was different... sorry, my memory's fault.

Last edited by Turrican3 on 27-May-2007 at 09:19 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:19:04
#36 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

From this point of view, who can say now

edit: typo

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 27-May-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 27-May-2007 at 09:19 PM.

The_Editor 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:20:51
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Turrican3

Age comes a creeping up on ya !!

Who said tha ?

Where am I

Why are you wearing my pink fluffy slippers !!

Turrican3 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:21:08
#38 ]

@jack
You have a valid point here. I guess it's just some kind of a strong desire (on my side) to see an OS4-capable HW out as soon as possible...

stew 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:24:28
#39 ]

@saimo

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20725&forum=14&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#328782

Look at the date. I guess they got a license real fast.

jorkany 
Posted on 27-May-2007 21:25:15
#40 ]
Cult Member

@jack
Quote:

Compared to PCs, no they are not. Compared to Amigas, they are as common as dirt.

Here, try this little experiment, go on Ebay and look in the Apple Computers section, note the number of PPC Macs available. Now search for AmigaOne. Let us know which is more "common".

What's even funnier about your argument is, OS4 development started, what, six years ago? Apple PPC hardware sure looked pretty sustainable then - heck if Hyperion had gone with the Mac back then *I* might even have bought OS4! If you're worried about buying a used Mac because it might break down in several years, then heck - just get two! They're cheap, reliable, and readily available. They'll be around long after the last AmigaOne burns out it's CPU.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle