Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  34 mins ago
 Hypex:  40 mins ago
 Hammer:  42 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 1 min ago
 vox:  5 hrs 5 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 59 mins ago
 mbrantley:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
PosterThread
Plaz 
Re: ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Posted on 18-Jun-2007 22:54:30
#141 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
he makes bold announcements post lawsuit and now can't talk because of the same lawsuit?

Ouch, painful if true.

Quote:
if he shows us some proof of Powervixxen, which has nothing to do with anything current at least it will raise his credibility on the currently announced projects.

It would be nice, but would it be helpful for Adam to show an incomplete Powervixxen? Any thing less than a working vixxen would still have the critics raining down. "See we told you it wasn't ready to ship", while supporters would still be supporters. Not much of a net change in the way things are now. I think he's in a no-win zone until a finished product is out.

Plaz

Profile     Report this post  
glittering 
Posted on 18-Jun-2007 23:11:15
#142 ]

Then Adam should stop making misleading announcements and certainly stop with those "something is just around the corner" type comments. People in this community deserve better than the usual hoaxers & scammers, which seems to be the standards in Amigaland..

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 0:14:52
#143 ]
Team Member

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:
he makes bold announcements post lawsuit and now can't talk because of the same lawsuit?

Ouch, painful if true.

Its a simple matter of dates, I've posted them in this thread. Its pretty simple and extremely easy to check against. We didn't ask for such announcements, let alone the promises of machines, completed full machines, by the end of summer for the entry level and by winter for the the power system. And mid-may for developer boards. He applied his own pressure to himself. Let it be clearly known he self created this. He has put the burden on himself through his own actions. This is the consequence of such, that certain community members will not stand by idlely saying nothing, given ACK Software Controls history. And we ask for little.

Quote:
fairlanefastback wrote: if he shows us some proof of Powervixxen, which has nothing to do with anything current at least it will raise his credibility on the currently announced projects.

Quote:
Plaz wrote:
It would be nice, but would it be helpful for Adam to show an incomplete Powervixxen? Any thing less than a working vixxen would still have the critics raining down. "See we told you it wasn't ready to ship", while supporters would still be supporters. Not much of a net change in the way things are now. I think he's in a no-win zone until a finished product is out.

Extremely helpful. Its about a sign of good faith from him. The fact it was not ready to ship has already been long answered by it never shipping. The question is, is this a person who just needs to feel special and takes advantage of a community willing to make him feel special and important. If thats the case it should stop now. If its not the case, show us something, something that makes him not be the boy who cried wolf again.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Jun-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Jun-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Jun-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Jun-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Amiga 1200

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 0:27:13
# ]

Quote:
I get the feeling that was a legal move by Amiga Inc. more than "we actually have boards in the pipeline" announcement. (Pure speculation) I'm still calling it all vaporware until I'm proven wrong. Sticking with my theory, there is no proof to show. I'm more than willing to eat my words if Adam shows up running AmigaOS on something in the next month or two though

Me likewise. Hopefully if Amiga Inc are going to use this in court, it means there's real cause for confidence. Otherwise, I'm sure Hyperion and their lawyers will have their own opinions.

I agree with fairlanefastback - an incomplete PowerVixxen would be fine - really good in fact. Nobody's expecting a fully working board after all this time.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 19-Jun-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 19-Jun-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Report this post  
Plaz 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 2:24:35
#145 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Its a simple matter of dates, I've posted them in this thread.

Ouch, painful if true.

I'm not questioning your timeline, just accenting the part where the same court case that may have formed the partnership with Amiga Inc, now brings painful restrictions.

Quote:
The question is, is this a person who just needs to feel special and takes advantage of a community willing to make him feel special and important. If thats the case it should stop now. If its not the case, show us something, something that makes him not be the boy who cried wolf again.

/Plaz scratches his head, draws a heavy sigh and wonders the same thing.

Plaz

Moxee 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 3:28:57
#146 ]
Team Member

@ Thread

Quote:

Quote:
The question is, is this a person who just needs to feel special and takes advantage of a community willing to make him feel special and important. If thats the case it should stop now. If its not the case, show us something, something that makes him not be the boy who cried wolf again.

/Plaz scratches his head, draws a heavy sigh and wonders the same thing.

Plaz

Hmm... I think everyone completely misunderstood what I said to Glittering.
Here is is again:

Quote:

This is much better. Just don't be a broken record. That will get you nowhere. Remember the story of the boy who cried "Wolf" too many times.

That comment was made to Glittering about himself. It is about someone crying foul constantly, repetitiously, using the same [name calling] words over and over. Just like a broken record.

Hoax has not been proven.
No one has been Scammed out of anything except for time possibly.

About the only thing we know for sure is the failure of self imposed deadlines [Hatschi's ACK timetable] and the resulting silence afterwards.

I am very disappointed also and my hopes have been dashed several times over the years. Please know that I am not here beating a drum for anyone. I just want the name calling to stop. No matter who they come from and who they are directed towards. I would stand up for any of you in the same manner.

Last edited by Moxee on 19-Jun-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Last edited by Moxee on 19-Jun-2007 at 03:46 AM.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Samwel 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 3:33:33
#147 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

I'm sorry but I think everyone understood you fine. It's simply that they need to
twist words so it suits them.

Last edited by Samwel on 19-Jun-2007 at 04:23 AM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 6:21:02
#148 ]
Team Member

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I'm not questioning your timeline, just accenting the part where the same court case that may have formed the partnership with Amiga Inc, now brings painful restrictions.

In light of all the press releases being joint ones with Amiga, Inc., most post lawsuit initiation, I don't think its proper for them (Amiga) or the lawsuit to be used as a shield. Indeed with ACK having no website, Amiga, Inc has been the main advertiser online of the majority of the promised dates from ACK. And again this deal has no bearing on the case in any way.

And even if ACK wants to play some card with the court case at this point, which makes no sense, but ok, then just show us something accomplished towards the uncompleted PowerVixxen project then.

The president of ACK is reading here. In the last thread on this topic he spoke of making someone eat their words soon enough (not very professional IMHO), now we get more heated junk in this thread, but no substance. We have what Jens said. And yet we still want to give him a chance, one that is simple to fulfill. I think there is enough history for us to legitimately call him out on this here and now.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Jun-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Amiga 1200

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 6:57:31
#149 ]

@ACK

I would like to know (if possible of course) how many months do you speculate will it take for OS4 to be ported on these machines.

Obviously, you cannot comment on anything about the production and distribution of these boards, which I understand, but I hope you can answer the above.
Thanks

hatschi 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 8:46:13
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I would like to know (if possible of course) how many months do you speculate will it take for OS4 to be ported on these machines.

Months? Days would be a more realistic answer for someone stating the following on IRC:

Quote:
< ackcontrols > a port [of OS4] to x86 would take less time than it would to write a USB2.0 driver.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 10:00:36
#151 ]

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
Quote:
< ackcontrols > a port [of OS4] to x86 would take less time than it would to write a USB2.0 driver.

But the specs announced aren’t for a x86 machine.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 19-Jun-2007 at 10:01 AM.

hatschi 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 10:11:40
#152 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

Is it really that difficult to get my point? If Adam believes that a port to x86 would take less time than it would to write a USB 2.0 driver, what would you expect him to say about a port to a very similar platform?

Well, let's just hope it doesn't require to write a new USB 2.0 driver.

jorkany 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 14:44:30
#153 ]
Cult Member

@Plaz
Quote:
I just haven't happened into the right threads then. So, any interesting or insightful comments about court case/Ami/Hyp/OS4/Hardware in there any where? Any thread links would be appreciated.

There are a few in here from Thomas, and a few on amigans.net by Rogue. Definitely not anything related to the court case though.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 15:28:35
#154 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

Is it really that difficult to get my point? If Adam believes that a port to x86 would take less time than it would to write a USB 2.0 driver, what would you expect him to say about a port to a very similar platform?

Well, let's just hope it doesn't require to write a new USB 2.0 driver.

Alright, this is an out of context one-liner, but standing by itself its a ridiculous thing for anyone to say. Do we have the larger chat transcript as a whole? If, in context, it still holds the same implied meaning it has here then I don't see how we can take this company seriously.

Amiga 1200

ChrisH 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 21:01:52
#155 ]
Elite Member

The problem with ACK's silence is that we can't have an actual discussion about what would be "acceptable proof". Personally I would be VERY happy to see one or two hi-res pictures of a complete board, even if it didn't work properly, and was never going to be sold. At least then we'd know it wasn't all in his head...

Even in the best case, ACK has obviously made some kind of mistake(s), or his boards would be sold by now. Although difficult, admitting such mistakes would go some way to showing (to reasonable people, but perhaps not those like Glittering) that he's essentially an honest person who basically knows what he's doing, and just has a habit of underestimating how many problems there are left to solve. He's certainly misleading himself if he thinks ignoring the problem will make it go away - on the contrary, it just gets worse.

My ideal situation would be for ACK, Troika, ACube, etc to write a regular-ish blog about some of their successes & current problems. That way we'd get a good feeling that development is proceeding, even if not as fast as we'd like. And IMHO it would stop some people from giving-up or leaving altogether.

jtsiren 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 21:44:12
#156 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Even in the best case, ACK has obviously made some kind of mistake(s), or his boards would be sold by now. Although difficult, admitting such mistakes would go some way to showing (to reasonable people, but perhaps not those like Glittering) that he's essentially an honest person who basically knows what he's doing, and just has a habit of underestimating how many problems there are left to solve. He's certainly misleading himself if he thinks ignoring the problem will make it go away - on the contrary, it just gets worse.

Excellent posting Chris. If more people and companies in Amiga's past and present would have adopted this stance they'd be respected and trusted a whole lot more. I don't think most of us are unreasonable, we just dislike PR being shoveled down our throats when the reality doesn't align with the PR... and then ignored or told off when we try to point out this disconnect between the PR and the reality.

This goes for oh so many companies that we've discussed here and are discussing here... Imagine what the Amiga community would have looked like if, say, Amiga Inc., Genesi and Hyperion would have always openly discussed any issues with the community starting from Articia woes to OS4 delays to office supply auctions instead of all the evasive PR activities? Would the community be better off? Would the companies too? I know BBRV has tried something along these lines often posting at length and at detail, but he is too vague too often and plays too many word games...

Last edited by jtsiren on 19-Jun-2007 at 09:47 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 22:23:57
#157 ]
Team Member

@all

Whats the bio on the president of ACK Software Controls in a professional capacity? Since there is no website I was wondering if he has ever presented his credentials earlier in his career of creating a firm to make hardware for the Amiga computer community? Or is there anything anyone has cobbled together along the way? I'm curious, putting aside the track record issue for a minute I was wondering if we know if he even has the credentials to be likely to be able to do what he claims will get done by his company?

Amiga 1200

Hans 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 22:32:24
#158 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

All I know is that he did some work on my A1 when I bought it. ACK Software Controls worked together with Livewire systems selling A1s. This was a sideline project though, as he was involved with embedded systems stuff back then too (hence the name ACK Software Controls). He is also on the Amiga OS4 development team. IIRC, some of the drivers were written by him.

That's as much as I know. I have no idea how big his company is, or what other hardware projects he's worked on.

Hans

hatschi 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 22:41:02
#159 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Whats the bio on the president of ACK Software Controls in a professional capacity?

This is what I retrieved from 30sec Google "research":

Quote:
Adam Kowalczyk (Comp ‘94) says “after working at Honda of Canada, Mfg in Alliston, I went on to work for General Motors in St. Catharines. It was at GM where I learned more about crankshafts than any human should possibly need to know. During this time, Tammy and I had triplets, two girls and one boy. Kira Lee, Alexander Adam, and Sarah Jane came into our lives in 1999. In 2001, I left GM to start ACK Software Controls Inc.
Recently, Tammy and I have purchased a Mail Boxes Etc. store in Welland just to make life a bit more challenging.”

Link

It seems he is not into Ford...

Last edited by hatschi on 19-Jun-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 22:43:42
#160 ]

@hatschi

This is what I received from google Adam Kowalczyk .
Boy's been busy!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle