Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  4 mins ago
 ed:  23 mins ago
 matthey:  50 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 fordprefect:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 redfox:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 46 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 17:17:18
#181 ]
Team Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@fairlanefastback

The situation is being handled in private.

Well I hope it works out for that person you know. Let us know if ACK comes through at this juncture. Also I'm sure there will be those who will be curious if it comes back fixed or just comes back not.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
jorkany 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 17:42:15
#182 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

I wonder what one could turn up in the completed auctions on Ebay Canada?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 19:02:05
#183 ]
Team Member

@jorkany

Quote:

jorkany wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I wonder what one could turn up in the completed auctions on Ebay Canada?

Well this looks like its him and if it is his feedback is good.

This is a recent purchase:

PowerPC 405 GP 266MHZ, with Linux, 32MB RAM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130102705907

(As coincidence would have it, this auction ended the same day as the first joint press release with Amiga. lol)

Anything he did as a seller (assuming this is him - though the name, location and purchases seem to make it likely) is too old to see what it was for if I understand what I think you are implying. Do you have any reason to suspect anything done over Ebay Canada, or are you just making a funny?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 21-Jun-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Amiga 1200

ironfist 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 20:02:01
#184 ]
Cult Member

fairlanefastback:
I have two of those boards, one functional.

They're pretty cool, and BG Micro sold them
cheap; 19.95 USD.

jorkany 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 20:12:25
#185 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:
Do you have any reason to suspect anything done over Ebay Canada, or are you just making a funny?

Mostly just goofing, but you never know...

Moxee 
Posted on 22-Jun-2007 2:36:24
#186 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

Quote:
I wish I had a good answer to that. I believe he is working on something, but I wish he would toss us a carrot once in awhile to nibble on.

Just curious Moxee, what gives you the belief he is working on something for the Amiga community? If there is a positive thing/circumstance we are not aware of to inspire that belief that you can you share with us?

I don't want to go all religious on you, but yes I have very strong faith. My beliefs were instilled in me by thought provoking parents throughout my childhood. It is an inter belief in the goodness of "most" people. I find it very difficult to believe that ACK has done any of these accusations on purpose, but darn if you guys aren't coming up with a lot of ammunition to challenge my opinion/belief. The main thing that is surely bothering me is hatschi's ACK Timeline. I have absolutely no answer for that.

Last edited by Moxee on 23-Jun-2007 at 04:57 PM.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

ChrisH 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 9:41:14
#187 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee
If anyone's got any answers, it's ACK, and he 'aint talking. As I & others have said before, the silence is incredibly ominous - verging on proof of wrong doing. At the moment it seems the only way to get any reaction out of ACK is to mention his father in a certain way...

If ACK is legit, I suppose you can imagine him thinking that the best proof is a real product, so he keeps quiet. But after 3 years of failing to produce any such products, despite apparently being quite close on a number of occasions, he would be very wrong to still be thinking that. Especially since AI's legal battle with Hyperion will likely delay any new products that he might have.

P.S. Does anyone frequent the #amigaworld IRC channel? I gather that ACK (used to) often talk there, even when he was giving AmigaWorld.net (the web site) the silence treatment. I imagine that on IRC he may be commenting on this thread's issues to his 'true believers'.

Last edited by ChrisH on 23-Jun-2007 at 09:48 AM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 12:53:40
#188 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
If ACK is legit, I suppose you can imagine him thinking that the best proof is a real product, so he keeps quiet.

Indeed - and in a way that would be a good thing if he actually did keep quiet, but we all know he doesn't. Announcement after announcement has followed and I wouldn't be surprised if we'd actually see more announcements before we see products. It is only the explanations he seems to be strangely silent about, even promising to post pictures at least once (with a self-imposed deadline of "Tuesday" no less) and failing to do even that! It is very, very difficult to explain why photographs weren't posted a few days after announcing them - no amount of money, personal issues or Amiga Inc. lawsuits can explain that away (it might explain some delay, but not more).

I was reading Hatschi's ACK timetable and trying to make some sense of it. I remember these events and the links are right there for everyone to see, so very valuable document of history - thank you Hatschi for helping us refresh our memories. It all started with this mention of PowerVixxen running Linux in prototype form back in late 2004. If it was a CPU card for A1200, why was it running Linux?

I don't think Adam would necessarily resort to all-out lies (like Moxee, I have some basic belief in the goodness of people), but we have seen little twisting of the thruth in this forum so much I can only assume this to be the case there to. What did exist back in 2004 probably was some sort of reference design from the CPU manufacturer that ACK had up and running, and hoped to convert that into an A1200 expansion. That could be one explanation. Of course it is possible he had more and was running Linux just because software glue making of use of the PPC on Amiga side wasn't available or something, but years of reading these announcements from all sorts of companies here has certainly taught a thing or two about reading what ISN'T said.

I still hope ACK comes out, spills the beans and explains it all, and produces results in products. But I am puzzled about all this, it borders a hoax (even if not entirely one, the level of misleading resulting from non-results over the years is significant in itself) and that is very unfortunate. So far all we've got is "...There are also a lot of other issues, some financial and some personal, that are not public knowledge..." in the same thread as Hatschi's timetable. Well, obviously. But without insight into what these issues are, and with such poor announcement vs. delivery ratio, it makes it very difficult to really assess whether he has always been on the up and up or not.

Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Moxee 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 17:09:39
#189 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

If anyone's got any answers, it's ACK, and he 'aint talking. As I & others have said before, the silence is incredibly ominous - verging on proof of wrong doing. At the moment it seems the only way to get any reaction out of ACK is to mention his father in a certain way...

This did result in a response, but we all know that this is hitting below the belt. I hope no one does that again.

ChrisH 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 18:08:15
#190 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee
Quite. But if hitting below the belt is the only way to get a response from ACK, you have to ask WHY. (Just don't expect an answer!)

glittering 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 19:31:58
#191 ]

The guy is clearly hiding something because no one stays silent after being accused of being a crook (not the first time for Adam either), unless he thinks his brown nosing fan base will come to his aid.

Give it up Adam, you've been exposed.

sundown 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 20:42:37
#192 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Does anyone frequent the #amigaworld IRC channel? I gather that ACK (used to) often talk there, even when he was giving AmigaWorld.net (the web site) the silence treatment. I imagine that on IRC he may be commenting on this thread's issues to his 'true believers'.

He hasn't shown up there since just after the court case started. I'm quite sure he's been told to say as little as possible about anything AI related in public.

Your 'true believers' comment is just a slap in the face. We have our doubts about what ack will do, but we treat him with respect as one person to another deserves, unlike the 'pit of Hell' that ppl have created for him here.

Adam will not post any h/w pictures because it would prove nothing & would only open another door for more criticism & name calling.

jtsiren 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 22:58:34
#193 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

Quote:
Adam will not post any h/w pictures because it would prove nothing & would only open another door for more criticism & name calling.

If so, why did he promise to post pictures?

You seem to know his reasons, are these from IRC?

Personally, with this poor hit to miss ratio behind him (has he ever delivered anything he has promised?) I would think at least following through with that promise would have been beneficial and warranted - he did, after all, promise to post them after cancelling the demo event twice.

Quote:
Your 'true believers' comment is just a slap in the face. We have our doubts about what ack will do, but we treat him with respect as one person to another deserves

How much respect do you think he deserves as a hardware company representative? I do believe he deserves to be treated politely as always, and this has not happened here always unfortunately (although his latest response to the father issue was very much out of line too), but far more than not he has been treated politely - just that the questions are understanadbly getting tougher with him making all sorts of announcements and promises and so far not often delivering on them.

Don't you think the community here deserves to be treated with at least enough of respect to be told why all these non-events took place? Would seem fair and also fairly easy in my eyes. I can't for the life of me understand why this hasn't already happened. I don't want to believe in a hoax (or major intellectual dishonesty in announcements), that would explain it, but giving him the benefit of the doubt still I am having a very hard time understanding why, why, why.

It would really help if ACK would come out and just explain the Hatschi timeline openly. I don't think that is asking too much considering the past. Not all of the silence, really let's not be naiive, can be explained by the court case.

Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 11:09 PM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 23-Jun-2007 23:04:06
#194 ]
Cult Member

@glittering

Quote:
The guy is clearly hiding something because no one stays silent after being accused of being a crook (not the first time for Adam either), unless he thinks his brown nosing fan base will come to his aid.

I would guess he has possibly been hiding the true status of his hardware projects at least. He has probably been both overly optimistic and at times maybe a bit desperate so resulting in announcements he probably knew or should have known he likely isn't going to be able to meet. You know, kind of like the two more weeks routine to keep the audience interested. Perhaps at times he was really trying to meet these deadlines too, but he probably should have known better than to make these announcements after a few failures.

It is also very strange that while many things have been delayed and we could understand that, we haven't often heard anything of these projects since... if they were only delayed, shouldn't they appear again later on and then be ready? That is what is most suspect here - things have been announced as almost ready so many times, yet nothing has materialized in months and years, that how could those things have been almost ready (or even in production as was once said), yet never appear even after a long time after those announcements?

And what about the connectors that were supposedly ordered from Jens, but according to Jens then weren't paid for?

Gotta admit, those are very, very hard to explain if one is to believe all the announcements have been fully accurate and not embellishing anything at the time of their making. I hope ACK can and will at some point explain it, so we can put this all behind us, but I doubt they can explain all their announcements fully.

Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 23-Jun-2007 at 11:06 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 0:56:20
#195 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
If so, why did he promise to post pictures?
You seem to know his reasons, are these from IRC?

Yes, we pestered him to show something & he agreed, but events in his life (Dad's health) became more important & time consuming. Adam put family first (how rude) & ppl bashed him yet again for the delay. He is human & while his Dad was dying, ppl lashed out at him yet again. He was hurt & said no pictures (again, how rude). (Sarcasm intended in parentheses)

Quote:
How much respect do you think he deserves as a hardware company representative?

100%, the road of life is full of potholes & not all can be avoided. I'm retired & I had many dreams, but life events don't always co-operate. I believe ack has every intention to follow through on his projects, but life's not always inclined to make things easy or painless.

Quote:
It would really help if ACK would come out and just explain the Hatschi timeline openly. I don't think that is asking too much considering the past.

I do understand the need for answers, but Adam has no love for us, we ripped him & his family apart, need more be said?

Moxee 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 1:27:31
#196 ]
Team Member

@glittering

Quote:

glittering wrote:

Give it up Adam, you've been exposed.

You just don't get it, do you? Is it even possible for you to post without insulting someone? This time you have managed to insult me along with a few others.

Moxee 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 2:15:50
#197 ]
Team Member

Thread locked while under discussion.

tomazkid 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 3:25:30
#198 ]
Team Member

@Moxee
Unlocking, this thread might still be locked later on, so please people, stick to the topic and be nice.

@glittering

The contents of your posts in this thread will remain as an example of posts we don't approve of here on aw.net.

You have allready received 2 official warnings and a few minor warnings, so now I can't warn you anymore according to TOS, so this time it is two weeks vacation from posting instead.

Last edited by tomazkid on 24-Jun-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 24-Jun-2007 at 03:25 AM.

NightSprinter 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 6:08:14
#199 ]

@thread

I have to just say this: it's a tumultuous time because of the whole court case. Let's just sit back, have a few cold ones (be it a good beer/lager, soda, tea, or whatever sort of cold drink you prefer), and just wait to see what happens.

This has happened numerous times in the world of technology (in regards to products being announced, but never making it to market for one reason or another). I mean think about it: The Atari 65XEM, the Commodore65, even the "Super Expansion Module" for the ColecoVision (though someone is working hard to make their own version, which is slowly becoming reality). It's happened before, and it's going to most likely happen again.

There's just no need to start hurling daggers at each other over stuff we can't control.

jtsiren 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 7:35:07
#200 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

Quote:
Yes, we pestered him to show something & he agreed, but events in his life (Dad's health) became more important & time consuming. Adam put family first (how rude) & ppl bashed him yet again for the delay. He is human & while his Dad was dying, ppl lashed out at him yet again. He was hurt & said no pictures (again, how rude). (Sarcasm intended in parentheses)

...was it us, really, who pestered him to show something? I mean, he made these announcements, he announced and then rescheduled and then cancelled the demos. I'd have to think he has some responsibility for these. I'm sure he was held accountable online to some extent, but it was HIM who initiated the announcement/demo process. I do acknowledge the personal reasons given for not meeting the Tuesday deadline for posting the pictures, but why did he not post the pictures later (say, two weeks later)? There must be more to this, the reasons given can not possibly explain everything away - like currently the lawsuit can not possibly be used to explain all of the past or even current behavior. I personally don't buy the hurt/no pictures reason, that always felt a bit like a cop-out to get him out of posting pictures that he maybe wasn't comfortable with because of other reasons.

I hate to say it, but reasons like that start to sound like excuses once you hear them repeated enough. They just don't seem to hold up too well to scrutiny. It is obvious he does not want to give us the full explanations for some reason, but that just continues to feed the lack of trust people understandably have towards him. Good, honest explanations might work wonders.

Trust has to be earned. It really is no wonder ACK doesn't have people's trust as is. I'm trying to understand why he works the way he does, and it really is hard to explain without considering some less flattering reasons behind it all.

Quote:
100%, the road of life is full of potholes & not all can be avoided. I'm retired & I had many dreams, but life events don't always co-operate. I believe ack has every intention to follow through on his projects, but life's not always inclined to make things easy or painless.

100% respect as a hardware company representative? Sure, life is full or surprises, but I have always thought the measure of a man is how well he can handle those. It is easy to make the right decisions when things work out for you, it is often the bad decisions are made when things get rough. I think ACK has in some ways led the community on, that he probably should have known he couldn't meet many of his announcements and at least explained/followed them up with more vigor later. In failing to do so, many people may have held off other purchases while waiting for ACK hardware that has so far not appeared. I don't think all of it can be excused, nor full respect given towards him, unless some real good explanations change the situation.

Respect, like trust, is in my opinion something to be earned and it can be also lost or diminished for good cause. I have no problem respecting the person behind ACK as a human-being, but his track-record as a hardware company representative is far less flattering and worthy of respect IMHO.

The sad thing is, he could have chosen differently. This isn't about trouble and failure in itself, it is about how he has communicated (or more precisely, failed to communicate) about his progress thus IMHO generating very understandable frustration and lack of trust and respect in many of the people in this community. Blaming the community for disliking ACK's behavior is not right IMHO, responsibility for that lies with ACK alone.

Quote:
I do understand the need for answers, but Adam has no love for us, we ripped him & his family apart, need more be said?

Isn't that stretching it a bit? There may have been few people with unfortunate, rude comments towards his family online (and he did respond in kind at least once), but I don't think anyone has gone beyond that to hurt his personal life. He has himself continued to announce things to the community, he has continued to market here - I don't think the family issue is an excuse to treat the market you are marketing to any way you like.

People rightfully questioning ACK started much before any issues with family. ACK failed many announcements and was questioned about them before this. Any issue he now might have with the community not always buying his personal reasons as he would have liked does not excuse this past behavior, so again, I don't think we can use neither the personal reasons nor the current court cas as explanations for everything. That might be convenient for ACK, but does not IMHO hold to up closer scrutiny.

ACK is the one who has made these countless announcements and marketing efforts towards an interested (and perhaps a bit desperate) community, who has in return spent considerable time it seems discussing his future products and probably altering the purchase plans of quite a few people. With this comes responsiblity, ACK can't just duck away from that now saying he doesn't like the way people treat him - no, not entirely so IMHO.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle