Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  5 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 57 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Mass failing of XBox 360, buyers beware! For UK alone 1500-2500 a day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: Mass failing of XBox 360, buyers beware! For UK alone 1500-2500 a day
Posted on 31-Aug-2007 13:47:32
#441 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

They all seem higher than it should be with the PS3 clocking in at $770, Elite at $606 and the Wii at $362.

The US price of a 60GB PS3 is $500, $600 for the 80GB model.
The Elite is $450 here.
The Wii is $250.

By the %'s, the Wii is more expensive. However, the Wii is $112 over, the Elite is $155 over and the PS3 is $170-$270 over cost depending on which model you consider relevant...

Profile     Report this post  
hatschi 
Posted on 31-Aug-2007 7:44:02
#442 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
I think he's from Sweden, like me.

Trondheim/Norway might also be a possibility.

Samwel 
Posted on 31-Aug-2007 0:45:01
#443 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I think he's from Sweden, like me.

These are our prices now. I have tried to find the lowest possible prices.

Our price for PS3 has lately gone down to 5299SEK at MoDDer.
Xbox360 elite costs 4169SEK at THB.se.
Wii can be had for 2489SEK at spelbutiken.se.

EDIT: I think the $ was at 6.88SEK/1$ this morning (yesterday for you).

Last edited by Samwel on 31-Aug-2007 at 12:49 AM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Lou 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 22:31:32
#444 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

Anyhow, it does sound like Nintendo-Europe is milking you...not that Sony doesn't as well. What are the prices of the 360 there anyway?

Well the Wii is approximately £189.99
PS3 is approximately £425
XBox 360 Elite is approx £299

The PS3 still looks higher there than it should...and that's for a 60GB model... That's more expensive than the 80GB we have here...

but where is Tomas from?

_Steve_ 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 22:01:09
#445 ]
Team Member

@Lou

Quote:

Anyhow, it does sound like Nintendo-Europe is milking you...not that Sony doesn't as well. What are the prices of the 360 there anyway?

Well the Wii is approximately £189.99
PS3 is approximately £425
XBox 360 Elite is approx £299

Last edited by _Steve_ on 30-Aug-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 20:59:16
#446 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK
Hehe.. I completely missed that sentence.

Last edited by Tomas on 30-Aug-2007 at 08:59 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 20:32:07
#447 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I agree overall the review was bad. I still go back to 'sales' being a determining factor. We'll see how well MP3:C sells on the Wii. I think it'll do just fine.

@Tomas
Quote:
And why will a hdtv ready console push off users anyways? Both the xbox 360 and the ps3 is perfectly capable of delivering standard definition that significantly surpasses the SD output of the Wii
The answer to your question is in a sentence of mine you failed to clip with the rest of the paragraph
-- Now us geeks know that the PS3/360 work fine on SDTV but neither company is really marketing to the average owner of SDTV crowds ---

To further expand the average consumer knows about HDTVs and they know the PS3 and 360 are for HDTVs. Since most people don't have an HDTV many are choosing to wait until they get one for their PS3 and 360 usages. Seemingly people shouldn't be this dumb but if you look back a few pages there's a brief discussion about the significant % of PS3 owners that don't know they can play Blu-Ray. (I forget the # I think 40%?) In a similiar vein I'd expect joe consumer to not realize that an SDTV would work fine. I've heard from a couple of my non-techie friends, who have consoles, they'd love a 360 but don't see the point on their old SDTV set. Ugh!

Lou 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 20:22:35
#448 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@BrianK

Most people might not have hdtv yet, but this is changing very quickly.
And why will a hdtv ready console push off users anyways? Both the xbox 360 and the ps3 is perfectly capable of delivering standard definition that significantly surpasses the SD output of the Wii.
I also dont understand why the Wii should be priced around the same as xbox 360 premium in Europe, while the core is quite a bit cheaper. The controller just is not worth the extra price tag, considering that you both get hdtv, component cables, hard drive, headphones and so on if you buy the xbox 360.

I guess you don't play with a Wii much...

Last edited by Lou on 30-Aug-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 20:11:48
#449 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK
Quote:
Definitely I think a lot can be said for knowning the market. Nintendo obviously had a good grasp of what consumers desires. Most people don't have HD TVs so wanting HD gaming isn't a desire for the majority of the market. Pushing HD may possibly turn off consumers from the Sony and Microsoft consoles and push them to Nintendo.

Most people might not have hdtv yet, but this is changing very quickly.
And why will a hdtv ready console push off users anyways? Both the xbox 360 and the ps3 is perfectly capable of delivering standard definition that significantly surpasses the SD output of the Wii.
I also dont understand why the Wii should be priced around the same as xbox 360 premium in Europe, while the core is quite a bit cheaper. The controller just is not worth the extra price tag, considering that you both get hdtv, component cables, hard drive, headphones and so on if you buy the xbox 360.

Lou 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 18:39:09
#450 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:

@Lou
I agree from the point of view of a gamer that the Variety review was a joke. But, from the point of a casual user, they might have some good points. Again sales will tell us if they were on the mark or way off base.

As for Halo vs Metroid I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in a game. In the sense of a pure FPS I think Halo is better. Metroid does add interesting twists but in that sense it's more then a FPS. Metroid well may be a better game but a less pure FPS.

I see you failed to see the irony of HALO being a casual FPS game. No wonder it sold the Xbox. The stragedy was right under Microsoft's nose the whole time...

The original Doom or Quake are pure FPS games. HALO could have lived in an arcade. I could see the "Insert coin to continue from last checkpoint." text every time you died. With enough quarters, you could win. Resistance:FOM felt the same way...kill 5 aliens - checkpoint.

Metroid has always been a FPA (first-person adventure)...as are System Shock, Deus Ex, Thief, Bioshock. It's just "hip" to label them FPS games...

This version of Metroid does let you fall to your doom, but puts you right back on the platform when you do with the same health (iirc)...so it has "some" casual features to it.

Going back to the Variety review...the guy was just assinine. He wrote it as a hard-core gamer (knowing what a double-jump is, as if it's an advanced thing to do - hello Ninja Gaiden on the NES) but said "How does Joe Public know?" - Uh - the game tells you what a double jump is and it has a HINT system built into it. The game records all information to every object you run into and store it in an encyclopedia for you (like prior "Prime" games).

The review was a farce. A sham.

Last edited by Lou on 30-Aug-2007 at 06:48 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 14:07:52
#451 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
You know, just got to admire that little beast. Wii and Nintendo have earned some major respect. If only they'd have HD graphics I'd be more interested personally.

This should teach us all to not write anyone off like people had written off Nintendo. Obviously that goes for, say, PS3 too - although not looking very good at the moment.
Definitely I think a lot can be said for knowning the market. Nintendo obviously had a good grasp of what consumers desires. Most people don't have HD TVs so wanting HD gaming isn't a desire for the majority of the market. Pushing HD may possibly turn off consumers from the Sony and Microsoft consoles and push them to Nintendo. Now us geeks know that the PS3/360 work fine on SDTV but neither company is really marketing to the average owner of SDTV crowds.

As for the PS3 it well may pick up in sales. Sometimes the slow turtle wins the race against the fast rabbit. I agree with MikeB that the PS3 has the most potential. The problem is that consumers will be waiting another couple of years for that potential to be realized unfortunately.

@Lou
I agree from the point of view of a gamer that the Variety review was a joke. But, from the point of a casual user, they might have some good points. Again sales will tell us if they were on the mark or way off base.

As for Halo vs Metroid I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in a game. In the sense of a pure FPS I think Halo is better. Metroid does add interesting twists but in that sense it's more then a FPS. Metroid well may be a better game but a less pure FPS.

Tomas 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 13:31:20
#452 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
It actually does takes quite a bit of misguided creativity to imagine a 12V DC current in this wheel burning down your house.

That is odd, because i have experienced low voltage stuff caching fire before. One example was a pair of small pc speakers that literally exploded and filled the room full of smoke!
Even 3-6 volt cell phone batteries can both explode and set a house on fire.

Lou 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 13:25:12
#453 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

That Variety review was a joke. Their complaint was that the game wasn't casual enough like HALO. LOL!

HALO is clearly a game for the casuals. I now see why. With a check point every minute, anyone can beat the game. When all you have to do is run&gun, it's clearly not a hardcore game.

I played the original HALO co-op. All you do is run around and shoot.

Well, it's safe to say now that Nintendo has not abandoned the hardcore crowd. In Metroid (much like System Shock, Deus Ex and Bioshock) - you have to actually think. The game both challenges your reflexes and thought process. I played it for 3 hours last night. The new interactive motion-sensing controls where you have to pull and twist handles and the like only adds to the immersion.

The graphics in the game really shed light on the "we don't need HD" attitude of Nintendo. The game is beautiful. I have not seen the advanced lighting effects that I saw in the Wii launch title - Red Steel - but it's still a masterpiece.

If they added stealth to the gameplay in certain areas and made achieving certain goals possible by either stealth or firepower, the game would truly capture everything that Deus Ex is.

I still say Deus Ex is the greatest first-person-adventure EVER! The PC version, not the dual-analog crap versions of the Xbox and PS2. I really need to finish that game...

Give Samus a sniper-gun enhancement, a stealth-suit capability and less linear environments (again - see Deus Ex) and Metroid would take everyone's cake.

This is the end of the Metroid Prime trilogy. I wonder where Retro will take Samus Aran saga in the future...

Last edited by Lou on 30-Aug-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 13:22:58
#454 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Quote:
I applaud the Wii outselling the XBox 360 considerably, I hope Nintendo and Sony will continue to marginakize Microsoft's marketshare considering M$ have gone cheap on its consumers by releasing a seriously flawed console.

It took time, but they did atleast finally admit that it had some flaws, and at the same time extending the warranty for this specific design flaw. Sony on the other hand did afaik nothing about the laser flaws in certain models of the ps1 and ps2.

jtsiren 
Posted on 30-Aug-2007 7:31:16
#455 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

You know, just got to admire that little beast. Wii and Nintendo have earned some major respect. If only they'd have HD graphics I'd be more interested personally.

This should teach us all to not write anyone off like people had written off Nintendo. Obviously that goes for, say, PS3 too - although not looking very good at the moment.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Aug-2007 21:33:52
#456 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Wii is indeed proving itself to be the sales winner of the 7th gen. It's surpassed the 360's lead and pushing the PS3 to the background in Japan. MP3:C indeed looks interesting. Variety Mag had an interesting take. They think it won't sell on the Wii. They feel the Wii is keyed to the casual gamer and they are less attracted to FPS type of games. Thus, they claim the market isn't there on the Wii for this game. Personally I think them wrong. Sales will tell.

Lou 
Posted on 29-Aug-2007 18:23:19
#457 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

As much as Bioshock will move consoles, I think alot of eyes will turn to the Wii thanks to MP3:C
Quote:
"The four or five hours leading up to this [the finale] are some of the greatest moments in gaming ever burnt onto a disc."

"It [the game] proves that there is no better control option on any console."

"You´ll never want to play another shooter with dual analogue sticks ever again. It´s that good."

"Playing Metroid Prime 3 can be a near-religious experience."

"It can hold its own against any title on any other platform."

"The original Metroid Prime is one of the highest rated games in existence. But ´Metroid Prime 3: Corruption´ is easily superior."

those are comments from a gametrailers.com review: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24117.html

I actually forgot to pick it up yesterday...a mistake I will not repeat today!

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Aug-2007 14:44:35
#458 ]
Elite Member

New Gen appears to be starting to overtake last gen : VGCharts Comparison NCAA Football 08 Xbox360 version 1st for July, PS2 version 4th for July -- appears to be first multiplatform title where the PS2 didn't win in sales. If you leave the article and check America software sales for the week the multiplatforms Madden 08 wins again on the 360. 890K sales 360 vs 550K sales P2 and 200K sales PS3, further evidence we're seeing the 7th Gen software finally start to overtake the champion of the 6th Gen.

Penetration on the 360 is greater then other consoles. Example : 1 out of 6 owners of the 360 own Guitar Hero II, this ratio is 3x worse at 1:18 for the PS2. PS2 had a large bump of sales in month 2 of the game but the 360 has tracked about the same # in subsequent months. One statement they make is the buying habits of Xbox 360 owners may make them a more lucrative target in the coming month for developers.

I find this interesting 'If we accept that the PlayStation 2 is a mass-market device (it has sold about 40 million systems in the United States alone), then this disparity may signal that Guitar Hero is a popular, but not necessarily mass-market property. In particular, so many Xbox 360 owners have bought Guitar Hero II precisely because they are predominantly hardcore video game consumers.' --- Again there's an IF in there and if this IF is true then the PS3 won't be as popular as the PS2 because the mass-market device has turned out to be the Wii and the hardcore video gamer crowd has made large inroads on the 360 already, so the PS3 will continue to be a trailing 3rd player. IMO they need a PS3 price drop before Christmas in all areas, especially Japan. The Wii is eating them for breakfast in their home country.

August questions were good too
1) How will sales be impacted by BioShock (X360), Boogie (Wii), Madden NFL 08 (X360, PS3, PS2, Wii), Blue Dragon (X360), and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii).
2) How will the drop in Xbox 360 hardware prices affect its weekly sales rate? Will the PlayStation 3 maintain its current sales rate?

Last edited by BrianK on 28-Aug-2007 at 02:46 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Aug-2007 14:08:57
#459 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
No, the NPD only covers US and has seperate data available for North America
Sorry I figured everyone knew NPD only covered the US. You're right perhaps some readers do not. Thanks. VGChartz have changed their data to reflect NPD numbers, obviously for that region. Seemingly VGChartz # for US were way off this month which does make me question the accuracy of their other numbers. Again I'd love to see VGChartz publish a % errror factor.

Lou 
Posted on 28-Aug-2007 13:17:46
#460 ]
Elite Member

Bioshock really will help the 360 in August.
I'm tempted to buy the PC version, but Metroid Prime 3 came out yesterday for the Wii and I will own that today. Also, I can only stay away from Azeroth (World of Warcraft) for so long...

Too bad Nintendo is having production issues with the Wii, their killer apps are just coming out now... Metroid Prime 3, Batallion Wars 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem.

This is ignoring 3rd party titles like Geometry Wars:Galaxies, MySims, DDR:Hotest Party, Naruto, Manhunt 2, Dragonball Z:Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Rayman:Raving Rabbids 2, Guitar Hero 3...

Rumors of a wireless headset to be announced in September for Battallion Wars 2 are circulating.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle