Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  53 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Mass failing of XBox 360, buyers beware! For UK alone 1500-2500 a day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: Mass failing of XBox 360, buyers beware! For UK alone 1500-2500 a day
Posted on 21-Aug-2007 21:30:45
#501 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Businesses encourage other businesses to use their product in a variety of ways. HD-DVD paying companies to use the HD-DVD format is obviously more advantageous

These companies already supported HD DVD. They alledgedly got paid to lock out more than 2/3 of potentially high-def consumers.

Quote:
Yeah and DVD outsells both HD formats combined by leaps and bounds so to extend your logic doing neither HD therefore makes sense.

I guess they would have had to pay much more to lock out ordinray DVD consumers. IMO such a thing doesn't make sense from a business perspective, consindering it's an already well established format.

Quote:
Better specs for Blu-Ray is in MB/layer.

And higher bitrates. Both formats use identical codecs, so it makes no sense from a competitive business standpoint to lock out a larger market with better specs to a minority inferior legacy technology with a smaller userbase from a compettive market perspective.

Quote:
One plus big plus with HD-DVD for movie studioes is the licensing fees don't go to Sony.

Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray.

Quote:
They're dumping Blu-Ray only players in favor of dual format players. Thus, the end consumer can further careless which one wins.

They aren\t dumping Blu-Ray, they will sell a Blu-Ray player which is also able to play HD DVD discs like it allows to play legacy DVDs and CDs. It will only come with a Blu-ray sticker as it won't support extras, just barebones movie playback (again identical codecs).

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Aug-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Aug-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Aug-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 21-Aug-2007 20:44:35
#502 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
There are rumours they have been bribed for 150 million USD, if true per current HD DVD consumer (less than a million) that's a significant amount.

Businesses encourage other businesses to use their product in a variety of ways. HD-DVD paying companies to use the HD-DVD format is obviously more advantageous then Sony forcing companies to pay them royalities to use Blu-Ray. Companies would rather take the bribe (as you call it) then pay the bribe.

Quote:
Blu-Ray movies outselling HD DVD movies by at least 2:1, so HD DVD exclusivity from a competitive business standpoint doesn't make any sense.

Yeah and DVD outsells both HD formats combined by leaps and bounds so to extend your logic doing neither HD therefore makes sense.

Quote:
despite the better specifications of Blu-Ray disc

Better specs for Blu-Ray is in MB/layer. New 3 layer HD-DVD can hold more content then the current 2 layer Blu-Ray. HD-DVD better specs are interactivity and internet ability. Blu-Ray is playing catch up this fall but very few of the current players, save the PS3, will likely be extendedable. HD-DVD stand alones are lower $. Now this isn't an extensive list but to say Blu-Ray has hands down better specs isn't true. Each has some advantages over the other.

One plus big plus with HD-DVD for movie studioes is the licensing fees don't go to Sony. Why is this a plus? Competition. Since Sony owns a large number of movies and produces a large number of movies. If Blu-Ray were to win then Sony will make $ off every single movie produced whether they did the production or not.
** Example: PepsiCo makes Pepsi and owns various fast food joints like Taco Bell and KFC. Other companies, Burger King noteably, dumped Pepsi because they didn't want their fast food $ going to the competition. BK didn't want each glass of pop sold indirectly helping to keep KFC in business next door. Coke is more expensive then Pepsi for BK.

Quote:
IMO all this does is prolong consumer confusion and hurts the developing high definition movie market
2 formats does do this. Samsung likely has an answer for the consumer. They're dumping Blu-Ray only players in favor of dual format players. Thus, the end consumer can further careless which one wins.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Aug-2007 19:53:50
#503 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
2 Studios change to HD-DVD Exclusivity, Paramount and Dreamworks.

There are rumours they have been bribed for 150 million USD, if true per current HD DVD consumer (less than a million) that's a significant amount.

Toshiba earlier this year lowered its shipment estimations by 44 percent, with Blu-Ray movies outselling HD DVD movies by at least 2:1, so HD DVD exclusivity from a competitive business standpoint doesn't make any sense.

Paramount claimed the reason is actually production cost related, while in fact the production cost difference gap has actually decreased rapidly over the last couple of months and will most likely soon be on par (despite the better specifications of Blu-Ray disc).

IMO all this does is prolong consumer confusion and hurts the developing high definition movie market.

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Aug-2007 19:57:21
#504 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:

jtsiren wrote:
You guys, go relax! Eat Master Chief's Doritos and drink his Game Fuel or something.

GameFuel purchased today.

It's sweet about the same sweetness as Mt. Dew. Any kid will love it. Advertised as citrus cherry flavor I can barely make out cherry tastes mostly orangeish to me. But orange if you mixed Mt.Dew + orange soda. Overall medicore. If someone likes fruity beverage go for it. If you prefer coke don't bother.

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Aug-2007 19:53:26
#505 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

2 Studios change to HD-DVD Exclusivity, Paramount and Dreamworks.

'Movies Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment Including Paramount
Pictures, DreamWorks Animation SKG, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage,
Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films to be Released Exclusively in HD DVD
Exclusive Program To Begin with Release of "Blades of Glory," Followed by
"Transformers" and "Shrek the Third," Films Representing More Than $1.5
Billion in Combined Worldwide Box Office
'

Universal is now not the only HD-DVD Exclusive company.

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Aug-2007 14:55:39
#506 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

'The PS3 managaged to outsell the PS2 the last 2 weeks:

Worldwide sales according to VGCharts for the last two reported weeks:

PS3:............... 205,592
PS2:............... 205,389'

Appears VGCharts has made some changes to the #s. Here's what they have now
ending Aug 4/5
PS3: 96156
PS2: 101239

Aug 11/12
PS3: 94431
PS2: 100953

So no longer is the PS3 winning by 200 in their data.

And the 360 w/ price drop appears to be UP.
8/13/06: 68904
8/13/07: 80480

Again lest not forget their #s are estimates and they admit less full then the professional reporting companies, read likely to have a larger error factor. I do wish they'd include a % +/- in their estimates.

Lou 
Posted on 20-Aug-2007 12:33:14
#507 ]
Elite Member

Microsoft slashes UK 360 prices and introduces Elite on Aug 24.

meanwhile in Germany ...

The Wii takes over...

jtsiren 
Posted on 19-Aug-2007 14:54:53
#508 ]
Cult Member

Maybe MikeB you could get these with RRoD, would surely impress at home?

P.S. Both consoles have been running great here.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Aug-2007 13:45:50
#509 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
most of its high profile games already on the market.

IMO the 360 has the most compelling games this Christmas season.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Aug-2007 11:55:39
#510 ]
Elite Member

According to VGChartz, the XBox 360 continues to be outsold by all home consoles for the week which ended the 11/12th of August, depite a pricecut in the XBox 360's by far strongest market and most of its high profile games already on the market.

PS2 - 100953
PS3 - 94431
XBox 360 - 80480

jtsiren 
Posted on 17-Aug-2007 10:16:48
#511 ]
Cult Member

You guys, go relax! Eat Master Chief's Doritos and drink his Game Fuel or something.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Aug-2007 14:13:21
#512 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Most people so far with genuine system failures seem to receive brandnew units.

Using MikeB stated for their low rate of repairs it's very likely that Sony doesn't have any refurb units available at this time. So the only option would be to exchange it for a new unit. So unless Sony's warranty specifically states replacements are only done with a brand new unit as an end user I would count on the slim possiblity of getting a refurb.
Reading the warranty docs on my PS3 I see nothing guaranteeing replacement is always with a new unit.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Aug-2007 11:54:17
#513 ]
Elite Member

According to MarketWatch, Robbie Bach's (President of Entertainment devision, including XBox) sales of million USD worth of shares leading up to the XBox 360 failure announcement to shareholders weren't registered with SEC as would be legally required. Microsoft claims this to be due to an administive error.

Insider trading is illegal and Mr Bach is of course more of an insider with regard to XBox business than just about anyone else. If he hadn't sold the millions worth of stock his shares's value would have dropped only by 2% after the announcement. Maybe he was unaware of how well Microsoft's other devisions were performing. The difference in worth is just a fat mercedes, I think it's not worth the headache of bad press for him.

Last edited by MikeB on 16-Aug-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 16-Aug-2007 at 11:55 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Aug-2007 10:48:01
#514 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I hope MikeB's friends are of the honest type and fessed up to Sony that he baked his own console.

This wasn't my friend, I found the story due to getting over 5000 diggs.

Quote:
It may simply be luck. Using MikeB stated for their low rate of repairs it's very likely that Sony doesn't have any refurb units available at this time. So the only option would be to exchange it for a new unit. So unless Sony's warranty specifically states replacements are only done with a brand new unit as an end user I would count on the slim possiblity of getting a refurb.

I am very low on info about the return process simply due so few reports. Many NeoGAF users are keeping their PS3 on 24/7 for weeks to do some folding, so I expected more reports, one NeoGAF user has also kept on his PS3 for over 5 months straight without problems. So far I heard of one incident seemingly related to folding non-stop for several weeks, but apparently the PS3 does have overheating protection as I read about one user experiencing console shut-downs and warnings of overheating because the fan stopped working. Power surges / electrical spike can also kill the PS3 (2 cases I've read about regarding this, one of which all the guy's electronics equipment in the home plugged-in stopped working). Other problems: 3 cases of RSX related problems (white dot on screen not going away and other graphical glitches), 1 case of Blu-Ray drive malfunction, 1 case Wi-Fi problems. 1 case BlueTooth problems).

With regard to the return process (AFAIK the whole process takes up to 2 weeks max but usually far less, returned with renewed full warranty):

Sony US:

PS3 user 1: Quote:
"I called them back last night to give them my serial number and spoke with Richard; it’s covered under warranty so they will be replacing it for free with free shipping however I will definitely not get back my HDD. Everything on there I can get back except for my save games so it’s not a huge loss. He said that they do not support this but I could try taking the HDD to a company that pulls data from HDDs. I’m not going to bother with it though.
Anyway, he said it could be five to ten days before I get a PS3 back in my hands and that I WOULD get my Oblivion game back that is still in the drive however he does not know how they handle that."

"I got reacquainted with the PS3 last night. After hooking it up I know that it’s not my original console. One thing I noticed was that it said “HDD” with an arrow on the HDD access door, which my other PS3 did not. I don’t know if it’s new or refurbished but it was wrapped in the new plastic and didn’t have any scratches or dust on it.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m not used to it due to being away from it for so long but this one may be even quieter than my original. I played Oblivion last night and didn’t even hear the fans work up a sweat. :)
I’m glad that my friends list is tied to the online PSN account and not locally to the PS3 because I know I wouldn’t have remembered all of my friends handles."

"I was sent an email from Sony yesterday asking me to take a survey on the support they gave me over my replacement. I gave them high scores on pretty much everything except for convenience basically because I didn't get my HDD back and it took several days to get a unit back to me.
Perhaps I should cut some slack over my data because it’s my responsibility to do a backup of it and I didn’t. I’m now putting my Oblivion save on a USB memory stick periodically. :)"

PS3 user 2: Quote:
"My PS3's on its way back to Sony too - problems with the wireless network. Works fine with a wired connection, but keeps timing out when I use wireless, to the point that I can't actually connect to the network at all.

The careline (when I finally managed to find the number) was extremely helpful and competent (which makes a change on this sort of thing) and the returns process is brilliant - they're going to deliver a new PS3 at the same time that they take mine away, so I don't have to go a minute without one. Not that I'd have minded all that much (currently playing DS/PS2/PC games) but it's the thought that counts."

Canada, PS3 user 3: Quote:
"First it started getting really hot (hotter than usual my roommate has one and got nowhere near this hot), then games started freezing almost everytime I put one in, eventually it stopped syncing unless I used the cords and finally it just wouldn't turn on.

I contacted Sony and spoke to representitive about getting it replaced.She was very kind and asked me a few questions and then said that she will get them to send out a replacement box the following day. Two days later the box arrived at my house (in Canada) I packed it and the same day someone from ups came by and picked it up and shipped it out.

It took about 5 days and a brand new Playstation 3 arrived at my house.I was incredibly impressed with the service.I also have an Xbox 360 and unfortunately they were much harder to deal with.Whether it be people who can hardly speak english to the absurd fees they want for everything and the shipping costs getting my unit which got the red rings of death fixed cost me alot of money and my refurbrished one now is on it's way out and I don't look forward to the next time I have to deal with them."

Sony Japan:

PS3 user 4: Quote:
"Just got my PS3 back today, was giving me the flashing red light and 3 beeps. The service was unreal (Sony Japan) no questions and very friendly. The turnaround time was 2 days from the day I sent it in. 2 ****ing days and I got my PS3 back, I was expecting a week or 2.

They paid the shipping both ways also, and I didn't even have to fill out a mail form to send it, just brought the service number they gave me (and the PS3 obviously) to my local convenience store and they had the info all set to go."

Most people so far with genuine system failures seem to receive brandnew units.

Last edited by MikeB on 16-Aug-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 16-Aug-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 16-Aug-2007 at 10:51 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Aug-2007 1:49:58
#515 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid
Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
Quote:
The guy was told by Sony the console overheated and he received a brand new PS3 from Sony shortly after.

Sounds like very good customer care from Sony

It may simply be luck. Using MikeB stated for their low rate of repairs it's very likely that Sony doesn't have any refurb units available at this time. So the only option would be to exchange it for a new unit. So unless Sony's warranty specifically states replacements are only done with a brand new unit as an end user I would count on the slim possiblity of getting a refurb.

It is good service from Sony that they replaced a console that died due to a very stupid person's abuse. Does anyone know if the guy fessed up when he called in and said he overheated by shutting off the airflow? Or did he just play ignorant as to why his console was konked out? I hope MikeB's friends are of the honest type and fessed up to Sony that he baked his own console.

tomazkid 
Posted on 16-Aug-2007 0:13:11
#516 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
The guy was told by Sony the console overheated and he received a brand new PS3 from Sony shortly after.

Sounds like very good customer care from Sony

Last edited by tomazkid on 16-Aug-2007 at 12:13 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Aug-2007 0:10:53
#517 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Quality control with Asia is incredibly important.

Like anywhere around the world. Doesn't matter if Mattel makes the toys in Asia or back home in the states.

MikeB 
Posted on 15-Aug-2007 20:05:59
#518 ]
Elite Member

According to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe founder, Chris Deering the PS3 has a failure rate of about 0.2%. That's an amazing achievement.

This may explain why reports are so hard to find, like a drop in an ocean of broken XBox 360s, in fact based on these figures the amount of broken PS3 so far may be well below a busy working week in the UK alone with regard to XBox 360 failures.

Getting closer to 0% is almost an impossible thing to achieve, let me provide you with one case example:

Quote:
Yes, my friends ps3 broke.

He came round mine explaining that his PS3 just died for no reason.
I asked him if he used any buggerd games, dvds, or blu-ray. He said no. I asked him if he dropped it etc. No, no no.

So I went round his to have a look. He had put black duct tape over the air vents. All of them.

I said 'why have you put duct tape over the vents?'

He replys with this:

'I am really cautious about my ps3. I really look after it. I don't want dust getting inside it so I covered up the holes to stop dust from getting in.'

I was in tears.

Last edited by MikeB on 15-Aug-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 15-Aug-2007 at 08:12 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 15-Aug-2007 18:15:38
#519 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I've been watching the Famitsu one for almost 2 years. It's equally useless. Brain Training was never in that list yet it sold the most. That's just one example...

Famitsu's list was still a good indication of Japanese anticipation. Initial sales were slow, but the game had legs and the popularity of the game grew in course of time, selling for example the week 31 to week 37 way more units per week than this title sold at launch week which is quite extra-ordinary.

With regard to BrainK's high Halo 3 expectations, note that even Resistance Fall of Man sales in Japan topped the sales of Halo 2 and Gears of War for the XBox 360 combined. So I think this is not going to be a significant factor for Japan at all.

Last edited by MikeB on 15-Aug-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 15-Aug-2007 17:41:41
#520 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Most wanted lists are garbage

Actually Famitsu's list is usually a good indication for how well games will perform compared to other games coming to specific platforms. Of course a less anticipated game may still outperform a more anticipated game for various reasons, for example due to differences in installed userbase of a console, console entry price for new users, bundles, discounts, reviews, etc.

I've been watching the Famitsu one for almost 2 years. It's equally useless. Brain Training was never in that list yet it sold the most. That's just one example...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle