Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 146 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  46 secs ago
 Rob:  15 mins ago
 kolla:  25 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  45 mins ago
 zipper:  50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  54 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Itec steps forward in the Big Apple
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
d0c 
Re: Re - about looking at source code and who owns I.P.
Posted on 25-Jul-2007 13:22:21
#581 ]
Cult Member

this looks like it will be over faster than expected.... i would say hyperion got ainc by the balls now, just a little bit more squeezing and they are going down for good!

Profile     Report this post  
Dandy 
Re: Itec steps forward in the Big Apple
Posted on 25-Jul-2007 14:19:57
#582 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Tig,

Our little conversation started when I replied to your statement "The[y] signed an illegal contract and can be sued by both ITEC and Eyetech over the issue" on page 20, #297 and asked you on page 26, #508:

You can sue someone on the breach of an illegal contract in the US???

I'm still waiting for the answer to that - but instead of answering my initial question you say:

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Dandy

You didnt pay attention.

Hmmmmmm...

(Furthermore I'm still waiting for an reply to my post #562 on page 29)
Quote:

Tigger wrote:

Yes, Hyperion sold something to Itec and in good faith they sold it to KMOS, whose in trouble, thats right Hyperion, glad we are back to being on the same page. The only company in trouble if Itec is not the successor is Hyperion.

Obviously now it was you, who didn't pay attention - as I didn't say "Hyperion sold something to Itec and in good faith they sold it to KMOS".

Instead I meant that Hyperion sold something in good faith (that ITEC was the legal succssor of AInc(W)) to ITEC, while it turned out later, that it is at least doubtfull that ITEC is the legal successor of AInc(W)...

Last edited by Dandy on 26-Jul-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 26-Jul-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Dandy

d0c 
Posted on 25-Jul-2007 14:26:41
#583 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy & Tigger and other that participate in this endless quarrel... get a beer and relax.... lets enjoy the fall of amiga inc...

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 3:48:13
#584 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:

umisef wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
I don't think Copyrights move from the original assignee.

Think again.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html

From what I gather, Gateway didn't sell copyrights to Amino.

What I do get is that Amiga OS 4.0 is copyrighted by Hyperion.

pixie 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 9:20:43
#585 ]
Elite Member

@tiger

"The[y] signed an illegal contract and can be sued by both ITEC and Eyetech over the issue"

Well if one sign one contract where explicitly says that in case of insolvency/bankruptcy one gets to keep the right to use the name and trademarks bound by it and yet it doesn't hold due to the first creditor thing I would say it would be pretty much illegal in my book, and by Amiga Inc. as it was them who contractually sell something which they cannot own...

Last edited by pixie on 26-Jul-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Esquilax 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 10:24:01
#586 ]

@umisef

Quote:
Uh, you *do* understand that Hyperion is asking for Itec to be joined WITH Amiga and AGAINST Hyperion, right?

Hyperion asks for them to be joined as defendants in the counter-claim. For the counter-claim, Hyperion are plaintiffs and Amiga(D) are defendants..

Hey you're right, not that it makes any real difference of course.

Esquilax 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 10:27:07
#587 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
Not true at all Esquilax. Itec does not have to be the successor company to sign the 2003 contract, period.

Not true at all, Tigger. Itec must hold the 2001 contract thereby being the legitimate successor. There are no clauses in the 2003 contract aside from its legal binding to the 2001 agreement.

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 17:35:17
#588 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
@Tigger

Tig,

Our little conversation started when I replied to your statement "The[y] signed an illegal contract and can be sued by both ITEC and Eyetech over the issue" on page 20, #297 and asked you on page 26, #508:

You can sue someone on the breach of an illegal contract in the US???

I'm still waiting for the answer to that - but instead of answering my initial question you say:

[quote]
Tigger wrote:
@Dandy

You didnt pay attention.

You didnt pay attention, Ketzer answered you, you disagreed with his answer I responded at #528. I even gave you a car analogy. In Germany Hyperion would be in just as much trouble as they are in New York.

Quote:

(Furthermore I'm still waiting for an reply to my post #562 on page 29)
[quote]

I didnt realize I had to answer everything you post, but we are all in agreement that Hyperion has some ownership of the IP, I'm not sure your question even makes sense, are you implying I or anyone else here, think Itec should get the OS for free?

[quote]
Instead I meant that Hyperion sold something in good faith (that ITEC was the legal succssor of AInc(W)) to ITEC, while it turned out later, that it is at least doubtfull that ITEC is the legal successor of AInc(W)...

You keep glossing over the facts, Hyperion needs to be sure that Itec is the successor before they sell anything to them. Hyperion coming back and saying Eyetech didnt approve it and AI(W) didnt approve it (as they do now) basically implies they sold the OS without informing there partners which is illegal according to the 2001 contract and is committing Fraud against Itec. Now there arguement that they have now found out that AI(W) was insolvent also doesnt hold water, because nothing says the contract goes away (or that the OS cant be bought) after AI(W) goes insolvent, it just gives the AO Partners license to use the names, etc, it doesnt say that the buyback cannot still be implemented. In addition, the only source they have provided for the insolvency issue is McEwens testimony in August of 2003, something Ben and Evert both have known about for over 3 years and yet they have never acted or claimed in any way the rights they now say they have had this entire time.
-Tig

Last edited by Tigger on 26-Jul-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 17:40:27
#589 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

Quote:

pixie wrote:
@tiger
"The[y] signed an illegal contract and can be sued by both ITEC and Eyetech over the issue"

Well if one sign one contract where explicitly says that in case of insolvency/bankruptcy one gets to keep the right to use the name and trademarks bound by it and yet it doesn't hold due to the first creditor thing I would say it would be pretty much illegal in my book, and by Amiga Inc. as it was them who contractually sell something which they cannot own...

You understand that the insolvency/bankruptcy clause is illegal in the US right Pixie, as we have discussed ad infinitum. That clause isnt going to work no matter what happens, and it doesnt matter if it did. This is about the Itec - Hyperion lawsuit, and can you point to the part of the 2001 contract where it says that even if the insolvency clause occurs, the buyback cannot. Hyperion is arguing (incorrectly I might add) that because AI(w) was insolvent they dont have to honor the buyback or the 2003 contract, AI(w) wasnt insolvent, but even if were, it doesnt mean the buyback cannot be exercised, and thats why Hyperion is going to lose the case in New York.
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 17:49:00
#590 ]
Elite Member

@Esquilax

Quote:

Esquilax wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:
Not true at all Esquilax. Itec does not have to be the successor company to sign the 2003 contract, period.

Not true at all, Tigger. Itec must hold the 2001 contract thereby being the legitimate successor. There are no clauses in the 2003 contract aside from its legal binding to the 2001 agreement.

No completly true Esquilax. Where does it say in the 2003 contract that Itec is the successor of AI(W) or the contract isn't binding? I can save you some time, it doesn't. So we have two possibilites here.

1) Itec is the successor and Hyperion needs to deliver the software to them

2) Itec isnt the successor and Hyperion committed fraud against them if they cannot legally deliver the software, in this case Hyperion is liable for the return of not only the money but also damages.
-Tig

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 17:55:16
#591 ]
Team Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Esquilax

Quote:

Esquilax wrote:
@Tigger

No completly true Esquilax. Where does it say in the 2003 contract that Itec is the successor of AI(W) or the contract isn't binding? I can save you some time, it doesn't. So we have two possibilites here.

1) Itec is the successor and Hyperion needs to deliver the software to them

2) Itec isnt the successor and Hyperion committed fraud against them if they cannot legally deliver the software, in this case Hyperion is liable for the return of not only the money but also damages.
-Tig

Too bad Itec represented themselves as the successor and that it could be found to have been done in bad faith and that representation is the basis for the contract which is why it refers to the 2001 contract in the 2003 contract itself. The judge is not likely to be the fool you are hoping for.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 26-Jul-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Amiga 1200

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 17:57:03
#592 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Tigger

Too bad Itec represented themselves as the successor and that it could be found to have been done in bad faith and that representation is the basis for the contract which is why it refers to the 2001 contract in the 2003 contract itself. The judge is not likely to be the fool you are hoping for.

How could they have done that in a way that fooled Hyperion given there current testimony?
-Tig

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 19:13:24
#593 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Tigger

How could they have done that in a way that fooled Hyperion given there current testimony?
-Tig

I don't know, but how can they sue someone for a contract that they sold?

Let's use the car analogy here.
If I asked you to fix my car's engine. It's old and won't start anymor. Then while you were fixing it, I sold it to someone else, who knows you are fixing my car, why should I kick your posterior if I don't own the car anymore? You are now the other guy's problem, not mine.

As it turns out, the other guy has a revoked license to drive and can't register the car in his own name too boot.

Oh, the engine you had in there was carburated. The crafty mechanic that you are installed one with sequential fuel injection, distrutorless ignition and a roller camshaft which necessitated a newer designed block, intake and heads found in more moder cars, that while still compatible with the transmission bell-housing and motor-mounts, is a vastly different animal all together. It now get better fuel mileage and can even run E85 fuel.

Now this new owner should be happy the car runs at all considering how old it is, but is only willing to pay for an oil change and tune-up because he is supposed to put his own in within 6 months of driving this one.

So my question is, why should I have a problem with a mechanic to a car I don't own? ... In case you forgot...

Now, the new owner seems to have a history of drunk driving. Me, I'm just a car thief. So I stole that car pretending to be someone that died and registered it to my real self per a faked paperwork from the prior (deceased) owner via forgery.

Again, I should really count my blessings and stay out of it.

Incase you don't know: I = ITEC, you are Hyperion and the new owner is KMOS, the desceased party is Amiga Inc. (W).

Last edited by Lou on 26-Jul-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 26-Jul-2007 at 07:19 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 19:21:23
#594 ]
Team Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@fairlanefastback

-Tig

Hyperion has said that the conveyance was presented as legitimate at the time and that later they found out it was not and that they believe they were purposely lied to to meet that end. We know you don't agree that this is what happened in reality. You have even accused Hyperion of assisting Amiga in hiding assets I believe from people like Bolton. Whatever your interpretation though the fact remains they are saying the nature of rights transfer to Itec as presented to them at the time was a purposeful lie that they came to know later. They freely admit they thought Itec was a rightful successor at the time. But now that it is known to them in their intepretation now that they are not that the contract was enetered into in bad faith by the other party and based on purposely misrepresented circumstances and facts. Hence they are not bound to it. Your oversimplication to make the point you want to make is not the same one-dimensional way everyone will view the situation. Hopefully the judge included.

Amiga 1200

pixie 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 20:47:32
#595 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:
You understand that the insolvency/bankruptcy clause is illegal in the US right Pixie, as we have discussed ad infinitum. That clause isnt going to work no matter what happens, and it doesnt matter if it did. This is about the Itec - Hyperion lawsuit, and can you point to the part of the 2001 contract where it says that even if the insolvency clause occurs, the buyback cannot. Hyperion is arguing (incorrectly I might add) that because AI(w) was insolvent they dont have to honor the buyback or the 2003 contract, AI(w) wasnt insolvent, but even if were, it doesnt mean the buyback cannot be exercised, and thats why Hyperion is going to lose the case in New York.

I understand that if it is illegal the contract is moot and we don't even reach ITEC because it's already 'fraudly' sold to Hyperion before Hyperion got the chance to do it to ITEC...

wolfe 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 21:49:26
#596 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

Hyperion has said that the conveyance was presented as legitimate at the time and that later they found out it was not and that they believe they were purposely lied to to meet that end.

And the million dollar question is, in NY, before the judge, during discovery, can they show PROOF that this is what happened. Not a fishing expedition based on smoke and mirrors. PROOF. If they can lay out the evidence then they are in good shape. If not, they are in trouble. This is the 2003 contract that is in play. The court will take into effect those portions of the 2001 contract that apply. But the burden of proof to get out of the 2003 contract is on Hyperion.

Manu 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 21:50:29
#597 ]

@d0c

Quote:

d0c wrote:
this looks like it will be over faster than expected.... i would say hyperion got ainc by the balls now, just a little bit more squeezing and they are going down for good!

Ok so can anybody point out what is so ground breaking in the latest court
documents then if it is so Done!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 21:55:40
#598 ]
Team Member

@wolfe

Quote:

wolfe wrote:
@fairlanefastback

[quote]

And the million dollar question is, in NY, before the judge, during discovery, can they show PROOF that this is what happened. Not a fishing expedition based on smoke and mirrors. PROOF. If they can lay out the evidence then they are in good shape. If not, they are in trouble. This is the 2003 contract that is in play. The court will take into effect those portions of the 2001 contract that apply. But the burden of proof to get out of the 2003 contract is on Hyperion.

Will it even get to be heard by a judge in NY? Or will it have to stay in WA with the counterclaim that preceds the Itec attempt in NY. Thats yet to be determined too. And the reference back to the 2001 contract still is the perpetual license to use the AmigaOS trademark anyway.

And in reality even if Amiga/Itec/KMOS wins will Hyperion actually hand anything over or will they just tell Amiga what Amiga told Bolton Peck? I don't put much past either player in this legal game.

Amiga 1200

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 22:42:42
#599 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

Quote:

pixie wrote:

I understand that if it is illegal the contract is moot and we don't even reach ITEC because it's already 'fraudly' sold to Hyperion before Hyperion got the chance to do it to ITEC...

What exactly was fraudulently sold to Hyperion?
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 26-Jul-2007 22:46:32
#600 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

I don't know, but how can they sue someone for a contract that they sold?

Pretty easy, Hyperion basically gave them the right to do it, by saying KMOS isnt a successor. It happens all the time. I've had Arrow threaten to sue people on our behalf several times.
-Tig

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle