Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 corb0:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Itec steps forward in the Big Apple
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaHeretic 
Re: Itec steps forward in the Big Apple
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 17:44:44
#941 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
thats noones fault but Hyperions.

lol!! Wait a minute... I could have SWORN a month or two ago the whole reason AOS4 was so late and sucky was because... how did you put it... the Friedens were 'no talent ass clown butt monkey coders' or some such. Now they are angels and it's only Hyperions poor "project managment"? My how the stories change around here.

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 17:45:09
#942 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
It's a well known fact that it wasn't worked on for 5 years but in small bursts of part-time work by the developers.

It's stupid to keep saying 5 years. I too could have taken an OS development class and produced a useable kernal in that time by myself, but it's common knowledge that it wasn't worked on 8 hours/day * 10 developers for 5 years.

Keep in mind that during that 5 year span, an Artic port was completed.

First of all they ran up over 1 million dollars in charges for the OS, so it was just part time, they didnt work on it very much isnt that accurate. Second of all, it took 5 years is completely Hyperions fault. Thats the point you guys keep glossing over, they signed a contract in November of 2001, in December of 2006 they said we are done, they didnt have enough money, they couldnt pay people full time, etc, thats noones fault but Hyperions. There is nothing in the contract that says AI or Eyetech is going to fund the effort, though we know over the years they both had to give money to Hyperion to keep them from going out of business. The Arctic port was of OS 4 to the device, something that took 2 months of effort according to the schedule provided with the contract, surely you arent blaming the Friedens working on OS 4 for a PDA for 2 months as they reason it took over 5 years to get to the "Its done" announcement for the Teron version of OS 4 and still not have it available for the classic PPC boards?
-Tig

what say you to the second half of my original post? ...that you left out of the quote...

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 17:50:14
#943 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
So it was Hyperions goal and original schedule to deliver in 5 years? I mean thats basically what you are arguing here.

And back on topic... what has Ainc and Co EVER delivered? So why would we want any of them to get control of AOS4?

I'd rather wait 2.5 years to have an "in my hands usable CD" that is a major update to a 100% totally different achitecture then give the OS to a company that has 1 part time employee, Bill M., that the only know thing that any one can say for sure he has every really delivered us is lies and laughs.

$10,000,000.00 for an arena... and some people actually believe there is some chance of it being true. Itec/Ainc/Penti is a SHAM how anyone could want the lawsuit to go through is beyond me.

umisef 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 17:53:26
#944 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
So why would we want any of them to get control of AOS4?

What does "want" have to do with it?

Tigger 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 17:53:53
#945 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:
thats noones fault but Hyperions.

lol!! Wait a minute... I could have SWORN a month or two ago the whole reason AOS4 was so late and sucky was because... how did you put it... the Friedens were 'no talent ass clown butt monkey coders' or some such. Now they are angels and it's only Hyperions poor "project managment"? My how the stories change around here.

I see you memory is working as poorly as ever. You are taking an entire conversation about something from the Gateway 2000 show out of context again I see. I do think the Friedens were not the best people to assign the exec too, they had no previous experience on this kind of project, and really you shouldnt assign the most difficult task to someone with the least amount of experience in that kind of work. That it took over a year for them to show us exec-sg booting is a real clear point to the problem. Who assigned them to do the tasks they did? Hyperion, Ben Hermans in actuality. The story isnt changing at all. Hyperion did a poor job on the OS 4 effort, they picked people with no OS experience to write a new Exec and made it so it was likely that Hyperion would never have ownership of it, does that seem like good management to you?
-Tig

jorkany 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 19:17:26
#946 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaHeretic
Quote:
And back on topic... what has Ainc and Co EVER delivered?

There's no reason that both Hyperion and AInc. can't be equally as incompetent as each other.

Quote:

Too much emphasis on OS4 - let Hyperion take it and do whatever they want with it *as their own OS*. What about the Amiga name? Hyperion and AInc. should no longer be allowed to touch that.

jorkany 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 19:35:11
#947 ]
Cult Member

Speaking of OS4 however, even people from Hyperion are beginning to admit that it has no future:
Link

Quote:
Our plan is to move everything up one layer, i.e. make the HAL a software implementation based on a newer kernel, with the old system running as a separate task but using services from the new system.
The "old system" being OS4 as it is known today.

Quote:
"The compatibility break is inevitable."..."moving ahead will include breaking compatibility, taking what we think is good and defining in AmigaOS, and leave the rest behind."
Leaves one to wonder what the last six years have been about, but hopefully by the time all this occurs Hyperion will also see fit to leave the Amiga name behind as well, if AInc. fails to wrest it back from them. Not that AInc. deserves it either.

number6 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 19:44:19
#948 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
Speaking of OS4 however, even people from Hyperion are beginning to admit that it has no future:

Me scans link....
Billsey
Orgin
Helge
keisangi
R-TEAM
Xeron
Rogue
jahc

nope. No one from "Hyperion" in that thread.

Chip 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 20:04:40
#949 ]
Cult Member

@Tigger

Quote:
Why Chip, why exactly do you think that OS 4 is a 5X bigger effort then Amithlon?

Because OS4 is not just a simple emulator on another host enviroment. It has several new components/bugfixes. But this can be only seen by people who is actually USING AmigaOS4.

Quote:
The Frog and I had some discussions about making Powerstation Altivec aware,

Discussion, I see.

Quote:
plus several members of NASAU have an AmigaOne, so we've had several demos of the new builds,

So they are using it and you were watching them.

Quote:
plus I've performed surgury on a couple of the Terons to keep them limping.

Uhm. Fixing Terons?
Man! You are using AmigaOS4 a lot!

kirka 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 20:57:19
#950 ]

@hatschi

Thanks for the information.

Kirka

mlehto 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:11:24
#951 ]

@AmigaHeretic

And in same very thread he said that he has meeting with fleecy and others, where some invited perhaps future business partners are avail allso.

then story about fleecy and sheeps, some ractions about partners and so on. Anyway he signed NDA to take part to meeting and later tell us some nasty stories about it ... I thought that NDA means that you are not allowed to talk...

Uh ... What a misbehaving...

Tigger 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:20:31
#952 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@jorkany

Quote:

nope. No one from "Hyperion" in that thread.

Yeah but thats just because Hyperion is one man band by the name of Evert. So you are right that Evert didnt say so.
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:31:49
#953 ]
Elite Member

@Chip

Quote:

Chip wrote:

Because OS4 is not just a simple emulator on another host enviroment. It has several new components/bugfixes. But this can be only seen by people who is actually USING AmigaOS4.

Which part of I have used OS 4 was confusing to you chip. I understand that there are several new components, that doesnt make it a 5X harder effort, no matter how much you wish it was.

Quote:

Quote:
The Frog and I had some discussions about making Powerstation Altivec aware,

Discussion, I see.

Yes, to have serious discussions about something you have to actually look at that hardware and software its going to run on before doing it, unless you are Hyperion who signs a contract to enhance WarpOS and then 3 days later says its impossible we are going to make a whole new exec, but we are still going be on time, then 5 years later actually tell everyone they are done. Do you even understand what I wrote above at all, ie do you know who The Frog is or what Powerstation is or even what Altivec is?

Quote:

Quote:
plus several members of NASAU have an AmigaOne, so we've had several demos of the new builds,

So they are using it and you were watching them.

Yeah thats exactly what I said, oh no its not, chip is making stuff up again.

Quote:

Uhm. Fixing Terons?
Man! You are using AmigaOS4 a lot!

After I fixed the boards, I played with the OS rather extensively to see that they were working correctly. Plus the one I had borrowed to look at the Powerstation upgrade.
You do realize the boards you call AmigaOnes are really Terons right?
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:36:29
#954 ]
Elite Member

@mlehto

Quote:

mlehto wrote:

then story about fleecy and sheeps, some ractions about partners and so on. Anyway he signed NDA to take part to meeting and later tell us some nasty stories about it ... I thought that NDA means that you are not allowed to talk...

Uh ... What a misbehaving...

First of all nothing in the NDA said I cant tell people that Fleecy told 6 beastiality jokes during the meeting, it said I cant reveal the super secret plans they told us during the meeting, which Bill McEwen then revealed to everyone during the banquet the following day, which makes the entire NDA thing pretty silly. Telling the stories I told doesnt violate the NDA, never did, never will unless you honestly believe that beastiality is part of the future of the Amiga as planned by AI?
-Tig

stew 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:39:03
#955 ]

@wolfe

Quote:

wolfe wrote:
@PulsatingQuasar

Quote:
The OS should definitely not end up with Amiga Inc.

I will go along with that, but it should definitely not end up with Hyperion either.

Hyperion signed a contract in 2001, that was flawed badly, unrealistic etc. so one could assume they had no intent on honoring it. Well. maybe thats not the case. But then, they sign another contract (2003), take money, to which they have not/will not honor.? Sorry . . . I smell a RAT or TWO.

We need new management all the way around . . . .

My sentiments exactly!

Tigger 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:40:54
#956 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Tigger

Its not what I want, its what the contract says. AI's investors wrote a $5 Million dollar check to buy Amiga from Gateway, Hyperion signed a contract, Itec has completed there portion of the contract, I'd think that Mother Theresa should turn over the OS to the Devil, if she had signed the contract like Hyperion with the 1st Archangel. Its not who I like or who Bernd likes, neither one of us think AI with worth a flip, its just what the contract says, and legally what should happen.
-Tig

Lou 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:48:47
#957 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Tigger

Its not what I want, its what the contract says. AI's investors wrote a $5 Million dollar check to buy Amiga from Gateway, Hyperion signed a contract, Itec has completed there portion of the contract, I'd think that Mother Theresa should turn over the OS to the Devil, if she had signed the contract like Hyperion with the 1st Archangel. Its not who I like or who Bernd likes, neither one of us think AI with worth a flip, its just what the contract says, and legally what should happen.
-Tig

The key word is "investment". Investments go bad. The Amiga name is in the sewer right now compared to heading towards the toilet when they "invested". They need tp stop expecting a return (ROI) at this point and just liquidate.

ps,
The whole situation is criznap. Straight shiznit. But if I had to blame anybody for the current lack of an OS released to the public, I blame KMOS/ITEC's re-interpretation of the contract. Hyperion is supposed to be able to sell OS4 but only for Amiga hardware. KMOS/ITEC (if they own the trademarks) will not license any Amiga hardware. KMOS/ITEC want the OS to sell for themselves not allowing Hyperion to recover their costs in it's development so that the leeches behind ITEC/KMOS can make all the miniscule profits (if they even intend to sell it to the public) and fatten their completely vacant portfolio.

That's the short and tall of it. All this legal pandering doesn't help any of us. It's purely for KMOS/ITEC's porfolio. I'm thinking that DiscreetFX's public announcement of the intent to buy was what spurred all this. Now Scamiga Inc. wants to look like they are worth something to a potential buyer. They figure they will recover their costs from the sale and probably haven't paid a dime to any lawyer but only "promised" them money when all the trademarks (and possibly OS if they win) are sold.
...just because I like repeating myself when I don't get an answer...

number6 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:52:51
#958 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:
Yeah but thats just because Hyperion is one man band by the name of Evert. So you are right that Evert didnt say so.

Heh! So glad to have this confirmation from you that I'm "right".
That makes what? once in a row? new record?

Quote:
Fleecy told 6 beastiality jokes during the meeting,

Err...no, I have no recollection of hearing him tell me any such jokes.

Quote:
do you know who The Frog is

Can I play too? Kermit?

(ok, back to serious stuff now)

Last edited by number6 on 13-Aug-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Chip 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:56:07
#959 ]
Cult Member

@Tigger

Quote:
Which part of I have used OS 4 was confusing to you chip. I understand that there are several new components, that doesnt make it a 5X harder effort, no matter how much you wish it was.

Well, it seems you are the member of the OS4 dev team and you have the most knowledge on how many work has been done. Just like you have the biggest knowledge in the US courts and everybody else is "confused".

Quote:
or even what Altivec is?

No, I don't. Tell me about that thing, my master.

Quote:
After I fixed the boards, I played with the OS rather extensively to see that they were working correctly. Plus the one I had borrowed to look at the Powerstation upgrade.

And what was the outcome? Cannot do it because of 'lacking' WarpOS support?

Quote:
You do realize the boards you call AmigaOnes are really Terons right?

Yes, and I know "it contains the buggy Articia and no DMA, no USB and Teron Suxx and Hyperion is bad because of the management and Ben Hermans is baad only their enemies is good". Do you have any particular point or just came up with another useless bashing like a broken record ?

Chip 
Posted on 13-Aug-2007 21:58:30
#960 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
Quote:
do you know who The Frog is

Can I play too? Kermit?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle