Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  29 mins ago
 number6:  41 mins ago
 RobertB:  41 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 outlawal2:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Firefox on X11
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
jahc 
Re: Firefox on X11
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 1:21:08
#81 ]
Elite Member

@afxgroup

Quote:
not at moment.. but Friedens Bros know all my work much better..

I didnt think to ask you directly.. I didnt realise you had much of a presence here! I even forgot you had posted once in this thread already. Sorry :)

Profile     Report this post  
Seiya 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 9:23:19
#82 ]

i think X11 is how to kill os4 because this OS needs native version or native porting and not
find a way to run firefox into x11 environment.

It is more easy to load Linux and to surf with it ..

however, good luck to afxgroups for his project

jahc 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 9:32:09
#83 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

Quote:
i think X11 is how to kill os4 because this OS needs native version or native porting and not find a way to run firefox into x11 environment.

It is more easy to load Linux and to surf with it ..

however, good luck to afxgroups for his project

You find it easier to reboot into another OS (45 seconds) instead of loading the x11 environment (5 seconds) ?

alexw 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 9:40:14
#84 ]
Cult Member

@jahc
Quote:
You find it easier to reboot into another OS (45 seconds) instead of loading the x11 environment (5 seconds) ?

Your Linux loads in only 45 seconds?

Alex.

Kronos 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 9:48:46
#85 ]
Elite Member

@jahc

Actually THAT is the problem, once you noticed that your useing X11 for the majority of task, you gonna ask yourself why you didn't go for the real thing.

Once you start booting into Linux regulary you'll find it harder and harder to justify rebooting into AOS.

For me running X11-programs on Amiga isn't that much different than running them with VNC or similar.

CygnusEd 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 10:51:27
#86 ]

@jahc

> I remember talking to you privately about the ramiga+m problem.. i.e. when
> you switch to x11's screen, it leaves an "m" in any window accepting text
> input if you have one open... did you manage to fix this?

No, it isn't solved yet, but I know, where the problem is. It has the same reason, why the Alt key doesn't work. The keyboard handling of the server is limited. I didn't make any changes to the server in the last time, because I want to solve all issues in one go.

> Secondly.. I think once we get Firefox, we're going to want to use the
> clipboard a lot! Is clipboard support planned?

Yes, clipboard support is planned, but also not implemented. The recompile with newlib needed a lot of time.

CygnusEd 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 10:59:02
#87 ]

@Fransexy

You're probably thinking about the port of Terje Pedersen? It is unusuable, because too much things are missing and it has a lot of incompatibilities. And you need some more libs in addition to libX11.
Basically - in my opinion - it could be the better way than porting GTK / GDK directly to AmigaOS, but I have my doubts, that this lib would be the right base.

jahc 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 11:02:40
#88 ]
Elite Member

@CygnusEd

Quote:
No, it isn't solved yet, but I know, where the problem is. It has the same reason, why the Alt key doesn't work. The keyboard handling of the server is limited. I didn't make any changes to the server in the last time, because I want to solve all issues in one go.

Quote:
Yes, clipboard support is planned, but also not implemented. The recompile with newlib needed a lot of time.

That sounds very encouraging. Thank you for your continued effort on this project!

acefnq 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 11:18:32
#89 ]
Cult Member

@CygnusEd

Keep going Ed. Of course native ports of big titles are what we all want to see but what you are doing is buying this platform and community time by keeping interest alive and that is very important at this time.

I constantly use your Abiword implementation and have had no problems at all, perhaps some people forget how long MSOffice (or even just MSWord) can take to load on the PC. Similarly, OpenOffice was bagged because of load times but they have greatly improved over the development of that suite.

Some folk probably don't understand the scope of your work, what you (and your helpers) have achieved in a short time is fantastic.

ace

CygnusEd 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 11:20:04
#90 ]

@Seiya

Quote:
i think X11 is how to kill os4 because this OS needs native version or native porting and notfind a way to run firefox into x11 environment.It is more easy to load Linux and to surf with it ..however, good luck to afxgroups for his project

@Kronos

Quote:
Actually THAT is the problem, once you noticed that your useing X11 for the majority of task, you gonna ask yourself why you didn't go for the real thing.

Once you start booting into Linux regulary you'll find it harder and harder to justify rebooting into AOS.

For me running X11-programs on Amiga isn't that much different than running them with VNC or similar.

If someone - like me - likes to work in an amiga environment, he will benefit from this port.
I could use Linux together with a cross-compiler to make my ports. It is faster and it has some other advantages. But I don't do it. Why? Because I like to use the typical AmigaOS features and programs like GoldEd, ArtEffect and others.

So why it shouldn't be good to use X11? My goal is to have a rootless server display, so you can work with X-applications in normal windows.
In my opinion, it is dogmatic to refuse such posibilities. Just like some people say, that an Amiga is only an Amiga, when he has a 68k CPU.

jahc 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 12:17:38
#91 ]
Elite Member

@CygnusEd

Quote:
My goal is to have a rootless server display, so you can work with X-applications in normal windows.

That sounds quite cool. Have you started work on this feature? If so, how far away is it? Theoretically, would there be a speed increase?

I dont use x11 much, except when I have an MS word document that needs viewing/printing :) But that will change if afxgroup gets Firefox working.

ikir 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 12:35:32
#92 ]
Elite Member

@CygnusEd

Quote:
So why it shouldn't be good to use X11? My goal is to have a rootless server display, so you can work with X-applications in normal windows.

Like on OSX. It would be great. Thanks for your work.

sloxa 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 15:18:05
#93 ]

@ikir

hmmm.. this is sad day for me... :(

i sold my A1-Xe because, we dont have good web browser, and i needed one really padly.

i get money it 750e

sad thin is that i notice, there is working Browser, and only 2months after i sold my Amiga.
(i wait it 4years).

Now i have to Buy new Amiga.

miksuh 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 15:22:53
#94 ]
Cult Member

@salass00

Quote:
Dynamic linking is the same as static linking except that the linking is done when the program is run by the OS rather than being done by the compiler.

No it's not. When a Linux program uses shared object (shared library), it is linked in such a way that it doesn't contain function code itself, but references to shared code that will be made available on run time. When the resulting program is loaded into memory to be executed, the function references are resolved and calls are made to the shared library, which will be loaded into memory if needed.

So shared libraries in linux are loaded only once into memory too.

miksuh 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 16:15:04
#95 ]
Cult Member

@alexw

Quote:
Your Linux loads in only 45 seconds?

Well, my Compaq Armada M700 P3@750Mhz laptop loads Debian 4.0 'Etch' in 60 seconds That's cold boot time from grub OS selection screen to x11 GDM login screen

If I suspend system to disk (hibernate) it takes 24 seconds to wake up.
If I suspend system to ram, it takes 12 seconds to wake up.

Last edited by miksuh on 15-Jul-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Last edited by miksuh on 15-Jul-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by miksuh on 15-Jul-2007 at 04:16 PM.

CygnusEd 
Posted on 15-Jul-2007 16:28:41
#96 ]

@jahc

Quote:
That sounds quite cool. Have you started work on this feature? If so, how far away is it? Theoretically, would there be a speed increase?I dont use x11 much, except when I have an MS word document that needs viewing/printing :) But that will change if afxgroup gets Firefox working.

I didn't start with the rootless feature. Some time ago I've checked, how difficult it would be to implement a server window on the workbench (whole display) and it should not to be too difficult. The rootless server will be much more difficult.

I don't think, that this will increase speed

Drathro 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 15:26:15
#97 ]

How often is the Firefox bounty total updated?

I threw in $30 last week and it still is the same.

Last edited by Drathro on 18-Jul-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 16:25:49
#98 ]
Elite Member

@CygnusEd

Quote:

CygnusEd wrote:
@jahc

Quote:
That sounds quite cool. Have you started work on this feature? If so, how far away is it? Theoretically, would there be a speed increase?I dont use x11 much, except when I have an MS word document that needs viewing/printing :) But that will change if afxgroup gets Firefox working.

I didn't start with the rootless feature. Some time ago I've checked, how difficult it would be to implement a server window on the workbench (whole display) and it should not to be too difficult. The rootless server will be much more difficult.

I don't think, that this will increase speed

But it would make X11 apps more integrated into the OS4 environment. I think that speed should have a higher priority though.

Hans

billt 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 16:32:56
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

Quote:
i think X11 is how to kill os4 because this OS needs native version or native porting and not
find a way to run firefox into x11 environment.

It can be a useful step in porting things though. Get things to run at all using X11, and then do more work to get it native to OS4 APIs. Of course there is possibility that improving to OS4-nativeness may fall to laziness, but it does open some doors to us that would otherwise be closed.

mwoof 
Posted on 28-Jul-2007 22:16:29
#100 ]

@sloxa

But why didn't you install Linux?

AmigaOne G3-SE, OS4 Final (July 2007 update), Debian Sarge, 512 MB RAM, 20 + 80 GB hard disks, NEC 3540 DVD writer, LG DVD reader, Radeon 9250, SB Live, Intracom Netfaster router, PCI USB card (NEC - OHCI/EHCI)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle