Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  10 secs ago
 amigakit:  51 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  How big is the amiga community?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
The_Editor 
Re: How big is the amiga community?
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 9:32:32
#21 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

?

I think somethings got missed in the translation stage.

Unless you mean Big as in.. I'm a short ar7e... (common knowledge)

Last edited by The_Editor on 06-Oct-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Seer 
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 10:47:03
#22 ]
Team Member

Hm.. Anybody know the ammount of (unique) downloads of say, the last WinUAE/Amigakit/Aros releases ?

Raffaele 
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 15:52:09
#23 ]

@ALL

Judging from informations and my current visiting of more than 40 computer sites worldwide IMHO, calculating at eye number of users and visitors, remembering the number of buyers of new Amigas, and people asking about Amiga, or asking about UAE, WINUAE ADF files for games, then these are the statistics:

1500 upto 2000 should be users of new AmigaONE

1200 upto 1600/1700 should be users of MorphOS/Pegasos

(almost 3000 people)

150 upto 300 users of Amithlon

300 or more, and upto 1000 serious users of UAE and WinUAE, including circa 100 people continuing developing on Amiga for 3.9 systems.

These are the real userbase of strong Amiga defence considering 200 Amithlon users and 300 serious WinUAE users...

3500 people...

There were sold in the past almost 10.000 PPC expansion cards for Classic Amigas, and i believe that almost 3000 upto 5000 should be still in use somewhere, somewhen, maybe in Broadcast TV stations.

At least 1000 to 5000 users worldwide which have old Amigas like a 500, or A2000, 3000 and 4000 without expansions, or any internet connection which continue using it at various title, maybe keeping it closed in a wardrobe or into a car garage.

Making a rapid calculation of how many of them are still really active there are almost other 3000 users of ancient amiga classic machine continuing supporting the Amiga or sympathizing for it...

So second number regarding classic Amiga users it is other 3000 Amiga loyalists or even wannabe users, or rare users of Amiga systems...

(which could even purchase new Amiga hardware...)

And this raises the total number of Amigans worldwide upto 6500, 7000 people.

I think it is a realistic calculation...

-----

Judging from the contiunue asking of Amiga ADF files on computer forums, there are about 10.000 users of WinUAE worldwide, but these are attracted only from games, and could not be considered as a "real userbase"...

There is also a vaste amount of former Amigans which are pending from a myhtic view of the Amiga platform, to a total rage versus Amiga, as a reaction to Commodore demise (as they were betrayed by the platform)...

I think there are about 100.000, but they were completely not interested to actual situation of Amiga, but the nostalgic users get a look to it with some curiosity.

A certain number of loyal Amigans are forced to switch to other platforms (many of them passed to Apple) due to chrashes of their old Amigas, and due to job performance requests.

It should be REALLY a number of more than a million persons which still remember Amiga as a good machine, and could be interested in new hardware at cheap prices, if it offer a good number of productive software, and if this new hardware will give them the same appeal, and response than ancient Amigas.

But they should be captured again by the machine, only wtih a good campaign of advertising, good software, updated Hardware, and a solid OS.

More than 100.000 could purchase new Amigas...

-----

In the end there were the curious people from other platforms, which are tired of Wintel, Linux and Apple, and desired a new approach to computing.

They never used an Amiga, but are attracted by its characteristics, and want give a try to it...

I counted a number of 50 to 100 in the forums in the 5/7 past years...

So making a rapid eye calculation I think that we could attract (all over the world) more than 100.000 curious people, if Amiga could raise a good synergy between Hardware+OS+Software, coupled with good marketing strategies, and adding STRONG support, and maintenance facilities for existing machines and enhance fidelity of the common user.

So Amiga userbase, in good conditions, with a good support to the platform and enhancing the OS, could attract again over 200.000 people!

Correct my infos, if your believe there were wrong!

Last edited by Raffaele on 06-Oct-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 06-Oct-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 06-Oct-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Plaz 
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 16:16:21
#24 ]

@neongod

I think it was 2004 when last we tried to take a head count. Estimates then were 8-10 thousand world wide. Today based on the thread traffic of all the main amiga sites lately, I'd have to say were probably down to less than 2000 active now. If any real product was released someday that number would surely multiply.

Plaz

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 17:46:49
#25 ]

@The_Editor

Yeah you guys use the metric system....

I was refering to man hood. Re-read it may be funnier. Then again it may not

Step 
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 18:04:46
#26 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
So Amiga userbase, in good conditions, with a good support to the platform and enhancing the OS, could attract again over 200.000 people!

In my opinion the only way we will see that amount of users would be a PS3 version of OS4, personally i will not buy another expensive amiga hardware.

Tigger 
Posted on 6-Oct-2007 21:57:45
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:

1500 upto 2000 should be users of new AmigaONE

According to Evert there were only 1000 copies of OS4 out there, so there arent 1500-2000 of these and we've had alot of dropouts of the 1000 there are.

Quote:

1200 upto 1600/1700 should be users of MorphOS/Pegasos

Probably fairly close, the number is larger then AmigaOnes certainly given Evert's testimony.

Quote:

There were sold in the past almost 10.000 PPC expansion cards for Classic Amigas, and i believe that almost 3000 upto 5000 should be still in use somewhere, somewhen, maybe in Broadcast TV stations.

You are doubling the mythical 5K number of boards sold by Phase 5 and then thinking 50% of them are still out there running. The problem is that there were never 5K worth of PPC boards to start with and these days there are likely fewer then a 1000 still running and available to run OS 4, and very few broadcast TV stations ever had PPC boards for there amiga, with the exception of the Power Station modules, I'm not sure what a video person gained from a PPC board in a classic amiga.
-Tig

scuzz 
Posted on 8-Oct-2007 0:13:27
#28 ]

@neongod

@neongod

There isn`t one Amiga that goes through the auctions on Ebay in the UK that isn`t sold. Every card gets sold. Big box Amigas can fetch more than a new computer. The new Amiga users are folk with an interest in the older platforms, who do not necessarily want a new Amiga. We just dwell in retro cus we find it more stimulating than the new crap about. And given the money that changes hands, these users could easily spend the cash on new systems. I doubt any new Amiga would tempt these guys. Thats why I have always felt that the development of replacement kit would be a better option for the Amiga community. That way you could sustain some of those that have moved on, simply cus the kit has bust. As to my retro community we enjoy a healthy user base, and its expanding. Saying that, we enjoy more than just the Amiga.

We have become your ' Alien Breed '.... bit like your avatar.

scuzz
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle