Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  10 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 mbrantley:  4 hrs 24 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF (update 22 Feb 2008)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 Next Page )
PosterThread
COBRA 
Re: Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF (update 17 Jan 2008)
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 8:52:48
#141 ]

@damocles

Quote:
So Hyperion can then sell the OS4 source code to DiscreetFX? That is what your telling us then, right?

Nope. The contract we're talking about is only about the part which makes OS4 run on the Arctic device, e.g. a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) probably including a few drivers for display, keypad, touchscreen, etc.

Profile     Report this post  
Dandy 
Posted on 25-Jan-2008 9:56:54
#142 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

How about discussing the content of what I said instead of useless re-citing the section I was referring to?

I honestly dont understand what point you are trying to make unless its that Amino should have cancelled the contract years ago.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

I agree with that, but they didnt, the people they sold everything to [???] did it in 2006 instead.

Yes - but they ostensibly sold in late 2003 and should have cancelled in mid 2002.

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is, for years when will it be done has been asked lots and lots and lots of time, so why is this your focus of thought now?

Because had they cancelled the contract back then we today wouldn't be in the mess we're actually in now and we wouldn't be so frustrated.

We have a saying here:
"Better an ending with fright than fright without ending!"

Last edited by Dandy on 25-Jan-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Dandy

elatour 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 21:09:53
#143 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

Quote:
Please explain how porting to x86 would solve the current situation; and yes, the licensing scheme does matter in this.

Forget it. I'm not going that rat hole again except to say that If there would have been a willingness do an x86 port by Hyperion and the Frieden brothers in the first place - which there never has been - , an agreement could have at least been attempted to be reacxhed with AInc. on this before they encountered their initial legal woes a few years ago. If this would have happenned or at least been attempted, there would have been many more options to choose from with respect to hardware. Bottom line is that the willingness to do even consider doing this had to be there in the first place, which it never was, to their and our peril, IMHO.

damocles 
Posted on 26-Jan-2008 22:06:50
#144 ]

@COBRA

Quote:
@damocles

Quote:
So Hyperion can then sell the OS4 source code to DiscreetFX? That is what your telling us then, right?

Nope. The contract we're talking about is only about the part which makes OS4 run on the Arctic device, e.g. a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) probably including a few drivers for display, keypad, touchscreen, etc.

I don't understand, if Itec doesn't own the source code, doesn't Hyperion own it? If they own it, why can't they sell it to DiscreetFX?

Helge 
Posted on 28-Jan-2008 19:53:59
#145 ]
Cult Member

@All

I have read the different answers to what i have written over a week ago, and they are very interesting. Still, it's clear that the Amiga needs to move forward, and the ongoing trial case between AI and Hyperion is preventing this from happening...

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jan-2008 19:25:53
#146 ]
Elite Member

@Helge

Quote:
Still, it's clear that the Amiga needs to move forward, and the ongoing trial case between AI and Hyperion is preventing this from happening...

Just read the Wikipedia page for Hyperion Entertainment, hilarious. To think we've invested all our Amiga hope in these guys! Not the ideal business partners are they? It claims they did none of the porting themselves and didn't pay their contrators! Is this the case? What happened to Worms Armaggedon? I had to get it for the Playstation in the end, great game

Hyperion Wikipedia Entry

tonyw 
Posted on 29-Jan-2008 21:46:54
#147 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I wonder who wrote it? It seems to be full of the anti-Hyperion rhetoric that one can read from a few regular posters.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Rob 
Posted on 29-Jan-2008 22:02:18
#148 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
What happened to Worms Armaggedon?

The licence was for a port to Gateway's AmigaNG, when that got canned the licence meant nothing.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 29-Jan-2008 22:33:01
#149 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

What's what I was thinking. At least someone's on the ball with all those [citation needed] tags (nope, it wasn't me)

Tigger 
Posted on 29-Jan-2008 23:44:50
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@BigD

Quote:
What happened to Worms Armaggedon?

The licence was for a port to Gateway's AmigaNG, when that got canned the licence meant nothing.

Why do you think it was a port for a Gateway machine? That would be news to many (including probably Hyperion).
-Tig

Rob 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 0:33:53
#151 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:
Why do you think it was a port for a Gateway machine? That would be news to many (including probably Hyperion).

The deal was signed in mid 1999 during the Gateway era and AmigaNG is mentioned in the press release.

I think when I asked Rogue a few years ago about an OS4 version and he said that the licence was for AmigaNG and not OS4.

Having done a trawl of the internet, it turns out that there were supposed to be 68K and WarpOS versions too, so I wasn't entirely right.
No idea why these didn't get released. Mathias Roslund aka Amidog might know what happened.

Link to original press release.

umisef 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 0:50:25
#152 ]

@tonyw

Quote:
I wonder who wrote it? It seems to be full of the anti-Hyperion rhetoric that one can read from a few regular posters.

Well, it's not like it's a secret, now is it?

Interesting to see that Rob, who is apparently one of the happy OS4 users, has tried to vandalise that page not once, but twice yestderday...

XraalE was the one who added pretty much all of the text.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 1:07:51
#153 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

The Wiki page mentions that Ben Hermans had courted controversy by saying that MorphOS was illegal and threatened to take legal action. I think that remember Ben claiming that the MOS developers were legally tainted by having looked at some OS 3.0 source code, but I'm pretty certain the only one to actually threaten legal action was Bill McEwen (with his infamous "we know who you are and are coming to get you" Amiwest speech).

whose 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 1:12:51
#154 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

Quote:

It isn´t. But there is a difference between "influenced information" and "information". This text is definetly a kind of "influenced" one, because it is full of remarks against Hyperion and in pure favourite of Amiga Inc., in a rhetorical manner, missing objective information at all (and I don´t refer to missing links here).

I wouldn´t call it "vandalize" if anybody would try to change the text to a much more objective one, even more as Wikipedia should be no place for questionnable politics as e.g. yours.

Regards

Rob 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 1:20:05
#155 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Aren't I a naughty boy.

Last edited by Rob on 30-Jan-2008 at 01:21 AM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 2:18:50
#156 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

Quote:

That article is bad, there's no denying it. A wikipedia entry is not the right place to proove that Hyperion is the source of all evil, especially if all you can supply as evidence is hearsay.

Quote:

XraalE was the one who added pretty much all of the text.

That would explain it. It's somewhat hard to believe though, there's not a single swear word or insult on the whole page.

Tigger 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 3:56:20
#157 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@umisef

The Wiki page mentions that Ben Hermans had courted controversy by saying that MorphOS was illegal and threatened to take legal action. I think that remember Ben claiming that the MOS developers were legally tainted by having looked at some OS 3.0 source code, but I'm pretty certain the only one to actually threaten legal action was Bill McEwen (with his infamous "we know who you are and are coming to get you" Amiwest speech).

Ben has threatened to sue Bill Buck several times over the years, in fact a document of him attempting that very thing is part of the Amiga-Hyperion case. In addition, "we know who you are and we are coming for you", has nothing to do with MorphOS, just FYI.
-Tig

umisef 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 4:58:03
#158 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:
The Wiki page mentions that

(and several more)

Please note that my "no secret" comment was in response to "I wonder who wrote it". This being Wikipedia, the complete history of the page is just a few mouse clicks away, and while a couple of authors are identified by IP only, putting those IPs into Google reveals who they are.

As for inaccuracies of or bias in the page, there certainly is a bit of each (for example, OS4/Classic was not distributed in September). That said, the page could be a lot harder on Hyperion, too (for example, it doesn't mention "Midnight Racing" at all, it doesn't mention a consistent pattern of extremely late delivery, it doesn't mention the numerous "this year for sure" comments in '02, '03, '04 and '05). However, most things it does mention are at least close to factually correct (not sure about the H&P as Hyperion distributor thing, though), and while citations are sorely missing ATM, citations generally exist.

Dandy 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 7:45:48
#159 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Helge

It claims they ... didn't pay their contrators!

Hmmm - in the court docs - document 35, page 11, lines 24-26, I found:

"... i.e., Hyperion had not fully paid the third party contractors for such rights. Yet, in a contradictory e-mail from Mr. Carton, he told me that Hyperion had paid all but $40.000 for the source code to OS 4.0, ..."

Dandy

CodeSmith 
Posted on 30-Jan-2008 9:09:36
#160 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

I wasn't accusing you of bias, I was just mentioning that I think that one specific point is incorrect.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle