Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 164 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  14 mins ago
 amigang:  47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  New graphics cards for OS4 made possible at last!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Interesting 
Re: NEW GRAPHIC CARDS FOR OS4 MADE POSSIBLE AT LAST!!
Posted on 31-Mar-2009 22:01:43
#101 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Hans

Quote:
I'm still waiting for documentation about the R600 command processor.

deep breahing

"leave that to me"

Profile     Report this post  
Radov 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 3:06:23
#102 ]

@Hans

Have just found a :
PCI to PCI-e x1 adapter
Pci-e x1 only - but maybe there are a new GPU's that can be used with...

Last edited by Radov on 27-Apr-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 3:24:57
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Radov

WARNING: Avast just gave me a trojan warning when visiting that link.

If the 1x PCIe is connected to a full 16e slot, then it should work, since these devices should be able to use a 1x link.

Hans

Radov 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 10:27:24
#104 ]

@Hans

Hmmm... got no warnings from NOD32, but site is downloading very sluggish – so indeed there must be something hiding:)

In case of problems with accessing Amfeltec site, there is more info:
- Meets PCI Express 1.1 and PCI bus 3.0 specifications
- PCI Express 2.5 Gbps per direction
- PCI Express Single – line Port (one virtual channel)
- Supports 32-bit 66 MHz PCI bus operation
- 3.3 Volt I/O, 5 Volt tolerant PCI signals
- IEEE-1149.1 JTAG Boundary Scan port is available to support system and board level testing
- Mechanical support mechanism for stabilization of PCI express cards plugged into the top connector
(U.S. Patent 7,255,570)
- Allows to connect two or more PCI to PCI Express Adapters together for better stability
- Price: 250$

Article

olegil 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 10:43:34
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Radov

$250? Come on. It's a x1 connector, so hardly any graphics cards will fit without cutting the plastic.

You need a PSU and 1 active chip to make something like that. The chip costs 20 dollars. The PCB comes in at around 2, plus mounting (lets be generous and give them 4 dollars for that). PSU circuits $2 and various bits and bobs 2 dollars.

That's 30. Now add VAT, profit margins, shipping (to dealers) etc, we're looking at $50. If I made this for $50 most amigans would complain about the price being too steep, as they only paid $50 for the graphics card to plug into it.

So that one is not very fair.

Btw, I was working on something like this back in the day (except the general consensus was that it had to have two bridges, two PCI and one PCIe ports), but since the µA1 doesn't support graphics on the PCI bus it got scrapped. Now, with the flex I've been thinking of redoing it, but this time it'll be ONE PCI to ONE PCIe x1 in a x16 connector (straddle mount, like the one you found). $50 end user price. But is there a market?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Radov 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 10:56:27
#106 ]

@olegil
Yes - you are right. There's no use fitting such an adapter in every Amiga. But it can be useful for Hans, once he will start to work on a r700 (and future r800) Radeon cards. I’m quite sure that eventually we get a motherboard with pci-e connector. It would be nice to have a driver from the beginning.
So – at least for Hans this adapter may be useful. Now I’m trying to find a Radon HD 4350 pci-e x1 card. Such device should be somewhere... :)

(edit: Yes, I know - Hans has much work with x1550 and 2400pro already.... donate him! )

Last edited by Radov on 27-Apr-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 10:59:42
#107 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Funnily enough, the PCI versions of the higher end Radeon cards are about $50 more expensive then their PCI-Express counterparts. They have to be a little more expensive at least, due to the addition of the bridge chip.

Whether there's a market or not for a $50 bridge, I don't know. I'd be interested because it would allow me to try out higher end cards. It would be good if it were set up so that a half-height PCI-Express card could be plugged in on top, and it still fits into a full-height space.

Hans

Yabba 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 11:51:57
#108 ]

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@olegil

Funnily enough, the PCI versions of the higher end Radeon cards are about $50 more expensive then their PCI-Express counterparts. They have to be a little more expensive at least, due to the addition of the bridge chip.

It is all about volume. You'd be surprised how much prices of everything drops when you go from a 1K run to a 100k run. Also, the extra cost of having a separate SKU for the PCI version should not be neglected either.

regards,
Stefan

Interesting 
Posted on 27-Apr-2009 14:43:48
#109 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

Quote:
- Mechanical support mechanism for stabilization of PCI express cards plugged into the top connector
(U.S. Patent 7,255,570)

KimmoK 
Posted on 28-Apr-2009 6:54:50
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Radov

So, it would not be impossible to have a PCIe 1x slot in the next revision of SAM flex.

(most likely PCIe adapter built in the SAM FPGA would be too slow to be usable)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Radov 
Posted on 28-Apr-2009 12:05:51
#111 ]

@KimmoK

I think it's not a problem to have a pci-pcie brigde, but it would be wiser to spend 30$ on a better CPU (that can have pci-e controller built-in), than to make “bridging”:)

Leo 
Posted on 28-Apr-2009 12:19:24
#112 ]

Quote:

Not surprising since the demand dictates the price ;)

Hans 
Posted on 28-Apr-2009 23:52:02
#113 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

Not surprising since the demand dictates the price ;)

Yes, which means that a $50 PCI to PCIe adaptor would get you a larger range of cards for roughly the same price. That won't stop people from thinking that it's too expensive though.

Hans

SHADES 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 2:59:43
#114 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

Quote:
by Hans on 29-Apr-2009 9:52:02 @Leo Quote: Leo wrote: Quote: Funnily enough, the PCI versions of the higher end Radeon cards are about $50 more expensive then their PCI-Express counterparts. They have to be a little more expensive at least, due to the addition of the bridge chip. Not surprising since the demand dictates the price ;) Yes, which means that a $50 PCI to PCIe adaptor would get you a larger range of cards for roughly the same price. That won't stop people from thinking that it's too expensive though. Hans

Or it being totally impractical and require custom boxes and modding to the hardware, swamping the bus.....

Last edited by SHADES on 29-Apr-2009 at 03:00 AM.

billt 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 4:02:19
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Radov

I can imagine something cheaper and better suited than that. As Olegil describes, it should be able to be cheaper than that, and have a connector that you don't need to hack to fit a gfx card into. I also get a trojan message from Avast on the board manufacturer site.

billt 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 4:12:13
#116 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
most likely PCIe adapter built in the SAM FPGA would be too slow to be usable

The main problem with that is what can the FPGA IO pads handle? I don't believe the IO pads are compatible with PCI-Express signalling. Since this would be an adaptor PCB on the header pins, maybe you can get enough parallel IOs together on a bus and use a separate parallel to SERDES bridge chip to the PCIe slot pins. At that point, one may wonder why not just use an off-the-shelf PCI/PCIe bridge chip like in Olegil's suggestion, and save the FPGA for other uses.

Also, an FPGA to PCIe adaptor would likely end up an awkward installation (Prometheus Zorro to PCI bridge anyone?) compared to Olegil's proposal with a low-profile gfx card has a change of fitting more normally in the case.

billt 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 4:18:13
#117 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Or it being totally impractical and require custom boxes and modding to the hardware, swamping the bus.....

A low-profile bridge card with a low-profile gfx card won't necessarily need custom boxes or hacking or any such. Imagine the backwards equivalent of this.

Swamping the bus? They make cards in this form. If it was so horrible, they wouldn't do that. THink more of the people going "woe is me, I have nothing to plug into my PCI slot". Maybe they won't see the gfx chip's full performance potential, but they'll at least have a picture on the screen... I think that's a little more important to me than whether or not the chip is achieving its maximum theoretical communication rate.

Hans 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 4:22:53
#118 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Quote:

SHADES wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
\Yes, which means that a $50 PCI to PCIe adaptor would get you a larger range of cards for roughly the same price. That won't stop people from thinking that it's too expensive though. Hans

If designed correctly, such an adaptor plus a low-profile PCI-Express card could fit into a single full-sized PCI slot in a standard box. No custom boxes or modding required. See here for an example of a low profile card.

As for swamping the bus; what do you think happens with the Radeon HD PCI cards? The exact same bridge chip that would be in such an adaptor is used on the PCI card. That's the price that you have to pay if you want to use a PCI-Express graphics card in a computer with no PCIe bus.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 4:26:50
#119 ]
Elite Member

@billt

You beat me to it.

Quote:
Swamping the bus? They make cards in this form. If it was so horrible, they wouldn't do that. THink more of the people going "woe is me, I have nothing to plug into my PCI slot". Maybe they won't see the gfx chip's full performance potential, but they'll at least have a picture on the screen... I think that's a little more important to me than whether or not the chip is achieving its maximum theoretical communication rate.

I almost have 2D blitter done for R5xx cards, and it's more than fast enough for normal use.

Hans

Radov 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 18:53:41
#120 ]

@billt

I've been searching for a proper adapter for a long time. This one is the cheapest I found. Find me a better one that costs below 100$ and I will donate it to Hans...
...on the other hand - I can donate 100$ to Olegil if he wants to do such adapter

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle