Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  22 mins ago
 Hypex:  47 mins ago
 1Mouse:  56 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Rob:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Mr_Capehill:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
Geri 
Re: First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Posted on 6-Feb-2013 22:20:38
#281 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Quote:
damned wrote:
@Geri

after succesful loading the kernel my amigaone xe stucks on
"loading ramkdisk to .., end to ... OK"
sil3112, sata ssd, ide cdrom, G4 800, 1Gb

Now why am I not surprised that you have a G4 machine? No seriously, this 2.6.31 rarely fully boots on my A1XE G4 (in contrary to Hypex' G3 machine). I also compiled a 2.6.32 kernel, which usually boots fine, but still locks up here and there. However the same kernel works fine on my A1SE G3, which has an uptime of 3d 8h at the moment. So something in the kernel bites the G4 CPU (or the other way around) - I just don't know yet what it is.

Quote:
ps
with this kernel i would have the trim support?

No, real online trim support is only provided by the ext4 filesytem as of kernel version 2.6.33. Batched discard support, which has to be done manually with the fstrim command is supported since kernel v2.6.38 for ext2 and ext3. All of this may come with a 3.2 kernel, which I'm testing on my A1SE currently.

Last edited by Geri on 11-Feb-2013 at 06:36 PM.

- A1 Linux support -

Profile     Report this post  
Geri 
Posted on 6-Feb-2013 22:23:20
#282 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri
@hypex

Okay....got it!

Now typing from Debian 6.0.6!

With mouse and keyboard working?

...apparently yes.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 6-Feb-2013 22:44:48
#283 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Hypex

Interesting oddness. Here is what happens. If I boot my entry shown as Squeeze_SIL_SATA_hda then my busses always swap, that is, my SIL controller Squeeze partition shows up as hde10, while my internal ide controller Lenny partition shows up as hda2. This prevents the system from booting.
I remove the ide=reverse - try again. Makes NO difference. It still does NOT swap the drives.

When I select the Squeeze_SIL_SATA_hde entry, the drives are ALWAYS Swapped!!! That is, my Squeeze partition is always shown as hda10 while my Lenny partition is always hda2....so I cannot boot into Squeeze!!! AH!

Fascinating! Could be some magic udev behavior!?

Quote:
When the system locks up during the boot process showing "Waiting for root filesystem...." and never finding it because it is on the other partition, if I press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot, and go back to my uboot selection menu and select either the hde or hda entry, and press enter...NOTHING HAPPENS! The enter key does not work in uboot anymore...even though the arrow keys work. INSANITY!
BUT...if I keep pressing the ENTER key, after about 2 or 3 minutes ONE of the keystrokes goes through and then I boot into Squeeze (off of the Lenny partition).

Fascinating, too! What, if you press the (hardware) reset button? Does the ENTER key work then?

Quote:
Then I get a bunch of "Starting system message bus: dbus"
"Warning: Fake start-stop-daemon called, doing nothing"

For rsyslog, dbus, cron, gpm and ssh.

Quote:
I am presented with a login prompt. I log in. enter su and password. Okay.
I type gdm and my windowed gnome environment starts and I can log in like normal.

gdm should also start automatically.

Quote:
Squeeze_SIL_SATA_UUID /boot/boot.img.amigaone-2.6.31-1-powerpc root=UUID=c22ab024-28a7-42c4-9fb1-c07e3ff5e170 console=tty0

Wow - got the UUID syntax right - now I can boot mostly into Squeeze! When I select the SIL_SATA_UUID entry, I boot into Squeeze and it comes up okay - still does not automatically run gdm, but opens tty1 with a login prompt. I log in, set su, cd / and type gdm and into the Gnome desktop I go! Great!

Good job!

Quote:
Oh, I did an apt-get install for dbus, cron, gpm and ssh --reinstall can't find the name for rsyslogd. Yes, that does fix the errors I was getting with start-stop-daemon called, doing nothing.

Good to know that dpkg -C doesn't catch such errors! I would try to reinstall gdm(3), too!

Quote:
I also got the locale problem fixed by doing an an apt-get install locale-all - it installs everything known to mankind, but now I don't get any locale errors!

Whoohoo!

Quote:
Hey, why is typing this so jittery anyway? I type and 10 seconds later my words appear in IceWeasel...whats up with that?

Is there a process, which eats a lot of CPU time? Xorg maybe?

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 7-Feb-2013 12:56:23
#284 ]

@Geri

Quote:
Fascinating, too! What, if you press the (hardware) reset button? Does the ENTER key work then?

What happens is this - if I press a hard reset button, the enter key DOES work with my uboot selection, but I ALWAYS end up getting the opposite drive (a or e) when I select the hda or hde boot partitions from the menu, so until i got the UUID working, the ONLY way to boot into Squeeze (without the rescue CD) was to do the CTRL-ALT-DEL, get back to the uboot menu and then select either hde or hda configuration lines and hit enter many times until it "caught". A hard reset (or cold power on) always made the squeeze entries boot into the opposite partition every time.

Quote:

Yes, I figure it should. Since my hde10 Squeeze partition was corrupted when I installed gdm, I am hoping a reinstall will fix the problem. Also i hope to not get dozens of errors because the locale stuff is now fixed.

It seems to me that what someone needs to do if this install breaks is:

0) Be sure to unplug all USB devices from the computer before you begin!

1) repair the partition the install was done on using fsck

2) continue the install from rescue mode

3) reinstall (and sometimes uninstall and reinstall using --purge) anything that still gives them errors or trouble. If I hadn't had another bootable linux partition (Lenny) to use to help me fix things, this would have been a much worse nightmare. The fact that I could boot into Lenny, mount the Squeeze partition, and edit my a1boot.conf file for example saved me a lot of effort.

Another note - testing the internal USB ports of my micro A1 - it looks like (so far) the rear port works okay ... at least, I plugged in a USB mouse and it worked just fine. However, when I plugged an iPod into the front USB port, Squeeze locked up solid. No CTRL-ALT-DEL or anything else worked - only hard reset.

Sound also seems to work okay directly from the install. I need to try some music players or something, but my sound works "out of the box" so to speak. Squeeze seems very stable other than that. Oh, and yes, I think my internal IDE port is running UDMA mode if what I saw when booting is correct. Remember , I do NOT have DMA disabled.

Next step - I'll see what happens when I change my hard drives so the internal is my boot drive3 instead of the SIL controller. Once squeeze boots from there (it should work that way right now because of using the UUID) then I can pull out my SILL card and plug in the SYBA multiport USB2/SATA/IDE card and see how the USB2 works on that. Theoretically, squeeze (this version) supports USB2 correct? Hopefully with the VIA USB2 chipset. I know the SATA stuff may not be compiled into the kernel, I guess I'll find out!

Thanks,

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 7-Feb-2013 19:28:30
#285 ]

@geri
@hypex

I tried installing gdm3 and got the following errors:

> Fetched 362 kB in 1min 22s (4,394 B/s)
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 48882 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing gdm-themes ...
> Removing gdm ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
> Selecting previously deselected package libatspi1.0-0.
> (Reading database ... 48515 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libatspi1.0-0 (from .../libatspi1.0-0_1.30.1-3_powerpc.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package libgail-common.
> Unpacking libgail-common (from .../libgail-common_2.20.1-2_powerpc.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package at-spi.
> Unpacking at-spi (from .../at-spi_1.30.1-3_powerpc.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package libpolkit-gtk-1-0.
> Unpacking libpolkit-gtk-1-0 (from .../libpolkit-gtk-1-0_0.96-3_powerpc.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package gdm3.
> Unpacking gdm3 (from .../gdm3_2.30.5-6squeeze4_powerpc.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
> dpkg: error processing gconf2 (--unpack):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 245
> Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
> configured to not write apport reports
> Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> gconf2
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Why won't gdm3 install?

I figured out that when I installed gdm, it asked me which display manager to use, gdm or gdm3, and I (foolishly) assumed that it would only show me options for things that were installed, so I had selected gdm3. I uninstalled and reinstalled gdm and this time selected gdm as my display manager and now squeeze boots into my graphical login screen.

Thanks,

SCott

Last edited by scabit on 07-Feb-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 7-Feb-2013 20:15:58
#286 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

What happens is this - if I press a hard reset button, the enter key DOES work with my uboot...

I guess U-Boot doesn't completely reinitialize the hardware. After all the software reset is just a jump to the firmware's entry point.

Quote:
...selection, but I ALWAYS end up getting the opposite drive (a or e) when I select the hda or hde boot partitions from the menu, so until i got the UUID working, the ONLY way to boot into Squeeze (without the rescue CD) was to do the CTRL-ALT-DEL, get back to the uboot menu and then select either hde or hda configuration lines and hit enter many times until it "caught". A hard reset (or cold power on) always made the squeeze entries boot into the opposite partition every time.

I would have expected that a hard reset or cold power on makes the boot drive predictable!?

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I figure it should. Since my hde10 Squeeze partition was corrupted when I installed gdm, I am hoping a reinstall will fix the problem. Also i hope to not get dozens of errors because the locale stuff is now fixed.

It seems to me that what someone needs to do if this install breaks is:

0) Be sure to unplug all USB devices from the computer before you begin!

Does the onboard USB work stable otherwise (e.g. under OS4)?

Quote:
1) repair the partition the install was done on using fsck

2) continue the install from rescue mode

3) reinstall (and sometimes uninstall and reinstall using --purge) anything that still gives them errors or trouble. If I hadn't had another bootable linux partition (Lenny) to use to help me fix things, this would have been a much worse nightmare. The fact that I could boot into Lenny, mount the Squeeze partition, and edit my a1boot.conf file for example saved me a lot of effort.

I usually do a complete reinstall, but that my not be an option for you, if you have to download all packages again.

Quote:
Another note - testing the internal USB ports of my micro A1 - it looks like (so far) the rear port works okay ... at least, I plugged in a USB mouse and it worked just fine. However, when I plugged an iPod into the front USB port, Squeeze locked up solid. No CTRL-ALT-DEL or anything else worked - only hard reset.

Does Squeeze lock up, if you plug an iPod into one of the rear ports?

Quote:
Sound also seems to work okay directly from the install. I need to try some music players or something, but my sound works "out of the box" so to speak. Squeeze seems very stable other than that. Oh, and yes, I think my internal IDE port is running UDMA mode if what I saw when booting is correct. Remember , I do NOT have DMA disabled.

"hdparm -d /dev/hdx" also tells you, if DMA is enabled or not.

Quote:
Next step - I'll see what happens when I change my hard drives so the internal is my boot drive3 instead of the SIL controller. Once squeeze boots from there (it should work that way right now because of using the UUID) then I can pull out my SILL card and plug in the SYBA multiport USB2/SATA/IDE card and see how the USB2 works on that. Theoretically, squeeze (this version) supports USB2 correct? Hopefully with the VIA USB2 chipset. I know the SATA stuff may not be compiled into the kernel, I guess I'll find out!

USB2 is supported by the kernel, but I can't guarantee that the kernel will work now with the USB2.0 controller.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 7-Feb-2013 20:22:15
#287 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@geri
@hypex

> Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
> dpkg: error processing gconf2 (--unpack):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 245

Can you try reinstalling gconf2? Maybe its installed files were corrupted, when the system locked up during the installation.

- A1 Linux support -

damned 
Posted on 7-Feb-2013 23:37:05
#288 ]

@Geri

so, if you was searching for a g4 kernel tester, you found it :)

scabit 
Posted on 8-Feb-2013 12:34:50
#289 ]

@Geri

Okay, here is some more info.

I notice that when I bring up system-monitor and open a reply to message on Amigaworld, the firefox-bin cpu usage goes from about 15% to upwards of around 80 or 90%. I do not see any other tasks using CPU time at all except system monitor itself, which uses a very small amount - less than 15%. Interesting. I see with squeeze using IceWEasel that as I type in this response window right now, characters lag by several seconds, sometimes 10 or more, and sometimes they stay "caught up". If I type too fast, and CPU goes over 100% (I am guessing) IceWEasel shuts down - poof! Also if I move a slider scroll bar too fast, IceWEasel vanishes.
Note - I see similar behavior with editing messages on Amigaworld in OS4.1 using MUIOWB. Instead of exiting, MUIOWB just locks up and does not recover when I hit the 100% + mark. But this only happens seldom in MUIOWB...with Iceweasel in squeeze it happens all the time.

using the hdparm command shows both internal and external (SIL) drives are using DMA.

Reinstalling gconf2 allowed me to properly install gdm3 - thanks!

With OS4.1, my internal USB works flawlessly for all devices, including this very same ipod.
USB mouse and keyboard work fine in Squeeze with both front and rear internal ports.
The ipod (and memory sticks) locks up squeeze only if plugged into the front port. In the rear port it works just fine. .. WAIT .... I just tried it and now, suddenly it WORKS in the front port as well as the rear port! What is going on here? Did fixing gconf2 or installing gdm3 somehow help? Makes no sense to me.

Funny, Lenny did not seem to have problems with posting messages to AmigaWorld, or if it did they were not anywhere near as noticeable. As I watch the system-monitor window for CPU usage and type, I see the firefox-bin cpu go up above 80% in accordance with when the typed text stops appearing on the screen. Note that no text is lost, it is just delayed. When cpu drops down to 50% or lower, the text shows up all in one big clump.

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 08-Feb-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Last edited by scabit on 08-Feb-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Last edited by scabit on 08-Feb-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 8-Feb-2013 20:44:27
#290 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Quote:
damned wrote:
@Geri

so, if you was searching for a g4 kernel tester, you found it :)

Good to know!

I hope we get the installer running with the 2.6.32 kernel, which is available on the amigaone-linux project homepage. Then you could do some test runs for example for USB 2.0 or direct rendering.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 8-Feb-2013 21:17:02
#291 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

Okay, here is some more info.

I notice that when I bring up system-monitor and open a reply to message on Amigaworld, the firefox-bin cpu usage goes from about 15% to upwards of around 80 or 90%. I do not see any other tasks using CPU time at all except system monitor itself, which uses a very small amount - less than 15%. Interesting. I see with squeeze using IceWEasel that as I type in this response window right now, characters lag by several seconds, sometimes 10 or more, and sometimes they stay "caught up". If I type too fast, and CPU goes over 100% (I am guessing) IceWEasel shuts down - poof! Also if I move a slider scroll bar too fast, IceWEasel vanishes.

The graphics driver could be a problem. Usually direct rendering (for hardware accelerated graphics) is deactivated on the A1. On the other side direct rendering isn't very well supported on the A1. I only have it running on my A1SE with a 2.6.32 kernel. On my A1XE it locks up the machine in a little while.

I yet have to post installation instructions for the 2.6.32 kernel I mentioned before. Then you could use the "perf" program to find out which function eats up all the CPU time and maybe kills Iceweasel.

BTW: There should be a newer Iceweasel version available in the squeeze-backports repository (10.0.12), but I don't know if it installs cleanly.

Quote:
Note - I see similar behavior with editing messages on Amigaworld in OS4.1 using MUIOWB. Instead of exiting, MUIOWB just locks up and does not recover when I hit the 100% + mark. But this only happens seldom in MUIOWB...with Iceweasel in squeeze it happens all the time.

Hard to tell what's going wrong. I'll see, if I can reproduce this behavior here.

Quote:
using the hdparm command shows both internal and external (SIL) drives are using DMA.

In UDMA100 mode?

Quote:
Reinstalling gconf2 allowed me to properly install gdm3 - thanks!

Very good!

Quote:
With OS4.1, my internal USB works flawlessly for all devices, including this very same ipod.
USB mouse and keyboard work fine in Squeeze with both front and rear internal ports.
The ipod (and memory sticks) locks up squeeze only if plugged into the front port. In the rear port it works just fine. .. WAIT .... I just tried it and now, suddenly it WORKS in the front port as well as the rear port! What is going on here? Did fixing gconf2 or installing gdm3 somehow help? Makes no sense to me.

Neither to me. But I wonder since a long time, if the front and rear ports are somehow initialized differently. As you know, Linux locks up here during boot, if I choose "Use front USB ports" in U-Boot. This also makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Funny, Lenny did not seem to have problems with posting messages to AmigaWorld, or if it did they were not anywhere near as noticeable. As I watch the system-monitor window for CPU usage and type, I see the firefox-bin cpu go up above 80% in accordance with when the typed text stops appearing on the screen. Note that no text is lost, it is just delayed. When cpu drops down to 50% or lower, the text shows up all in one big clump.

Okay. Thanks for the info!

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 8-Feb-2013 22:50:33
#292 ]

@Geri

Now that I've gotten squeeze mostly working, I tried disconnecting my SIL0680 card and setting my uboot prefs so boot1 = ide (the internal drive on which my squeeze partition exists).
However, when I boot, I never see any entry in uboot for squeeze or any linux variety.
I am using the same a1boot.conf file as shown in the posting previous to this. The only option I get from uboot is for AmigaOS.
Yes, the drive has an SLB. Yes, all the kernel image files are in the boot directory on my hda10 partition along with the a1boot.conf.

Any ideas?

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2013 15:48:35
#293 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Are the xserver-xorg-input-evdev, xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse packages installed?

According to the apt cache xserver-xorg-input-evdev and xserver-xorg-input-all are.

Quote:
@Hypex: adding an entry to an existing a1boot.conf file on another Linux paritions doesn't work yet, right?

It should actually. I have Debian on my first HD. Mac/Linux and Ubuntu in my second HD. Which also contains the SLB and my a1boot.conf.

So as long as the a1boot.conf is seen; that is, it exists on the one and only HD containing the SLB and the SLB does pick it up then the menu can be used to boot Linux off any HD volume. The kernels being in the same spot as the a1boot.conf of course.

Quote:
@Hypex: Does your Squeeze installation report the same line in Xorg.0.log?

About the input devices? Yes.

I found this in my syslog. Cause of my problem? Similar entry repeat hundreds of times.

May 5 02:03:01 debian gdm-simple-slave[1748]: WARNING: Could not start command '/usr/bin/Xorg -br -verbose -audit 0 -novtswitch': Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/Xorg" (No such file or directory)
May 5 02:03:01 debian gdm-simple-slave[1748]: WARNING: Could not start the X server (your graphical environment) due to some internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected.
May 5 02:03:01 debian gdm3[1730]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.331267 seconds

Quote:
l2cr=0x00000000 isn't necessary for the 2.6.31 kernel

Yes, good point, obvious why it had to be set.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2013 15:54:21
#294 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Just a quickie reply. You have SLB_v2 or similar? And not an old SLB_nolinux installed?

Your a1boot.conf has a newline at the end?

In MediaToolbox the volume for hda10 is marked as bootable?

Being able to extract a mountlist for hda10 would also help as you could test the Ext2 driver to make sure it is redable under an Ext2 filesystem.

Last edited by Hypex on 09-Feb-2013 at 03:55 PM.

scabit 
Posted on 10-Feb-2013 1:42:48
#295 ]

@Hypex

Well, I have made sure that my slb2 on the internal ide drive is version 1.19, just like on my sii0680 drive.
Yes, the partition is bootable.
Interestingly, this hda10 partition was DOSTYPE EXT\03. I noticed that my working SIL0680 LENNY partitions were LNX\00. I tried changing it to LNX\00. Made no difference.
Block size is 512.

Haven't figured this one out yet....

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2013 13:23:23
#296 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
If I boot my entry shown as Squeeze_SIL_SATA_hda then my busses always swap, that is, my SIL controller Squeeze partition shows up as hde10, while my internal ide controller Lenny partition shows up as hda2

That would appear to be normal as it would assign your working A1 IDE controller first to hda-d and the secondary SATA controller would be assigned hde-h.

Quote:
When I select the Squeeze_SIL_SATA_hde entry, the drives are ALWAYS Swapped!!! That is, my Squeeze partition is always shown as hda10 while my Lenny partition is always hda2....so I cannot boot into Squeeze!!! AH!

Now this is strange! However, for SATA the drives will be assigned as sda-d. So sda should be used to specify the drive. Which should work.

Quote:
I have removed the ide=reverse in both lines, it makes no difference.

Yep, in 2.6.31 this kernel argument doesn't exist anymore.

Quote:
How do I get it to boot into Squeeze?

You should be able to specify root as sda10 to boot it.

Quote:
When the system locks up during the boot process showing "Waiting for root filesystem...." and never finding it because it is on the other partition,

This happens to me also. It is annoying. But lately Linux has been behaving.

At this point you should be able to press return. At times it will drop into the initramfs. Where doing an "exit" will have it find the drive. But mostly for 2.6.38 this happens.

Quote:
NOTHING HAPPENS! The enter key does not work in uboot anymore...even though the arrow keys work. INSANITY!

I have seen this bug also! But I tend to get sick of it ignoring me and just reset my case!

Quote:
I am in Squeeze, having booted from the kernel image files I copied from my squeeze partition to my Lenny partition boot directory, using this a1boot.conf:

This is a worry. My installer entry isn't in there. I hope it was removed.

Quote:
Wow - got the UUID syntax right - now I can boot mostly into Squeeze!

I actually stopped using it because I found it to be unreliable. And now use the label method. I don't know where the UUID comes from it tends to get lost when booting a modern kernel.

Quote:
Hey, why is typing this so jittery anyway? I type and 10 seconds later my words appear in IceWeasel...whats up with that?

It shouldn't be that slow. Perhaps you have more missing and am getting clogged log entries? There might be some clues in /var/syslog.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2013 13:27:24
#297 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Fascinating! Could be some magic udev behavior!?

You may recall me emailing you about my drives going missing or being seemingly swapped at random.

Quote:

For me it would. Buit I thought this was just another UBoot UBug.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2013 13:37:49
#298 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Hopefully with the VIA USB2 chipset.

Do you know what chipset? You could use lspci and locate the USB2 controller. For example the USB2 card I have is a Vendor 0x1106, Product 0x3104 which is a 6212 chipset. This is a bad one as the USB2 is broken on OS4. But works fine in Linux as long is it is a Revision 0x65. I tested a 0x63 and it's broken in Linux the same as OS4 in the 2.6.31 kernel.

Quote:
Haven't figured this one out yet....

Okay checked my "menu" volume. To add, I have LNX\00 and blocksize 1024. It is the first Linux volume on the drive.

Last edited by Hypex on 10-Feb-2013 at 01:39 PM.

scabit 
Posted on 10-Feb-2013 14:33:22
#299 ]

@Hypex

Here is the info for my USB 2.0 controller:

Device #14:
Vendor: 0x1106 (VIA Technologies, Inc.)
Device: 0x3104 (USB 2.0)
Class code: 0x0C0320
RevisionID: 0x63
Interrupt: Line 0x0B, Pin 0x03
Subsystem Vendor: 0x1106
Subsystem ID: 0x3104
Resource range #0 (MEMORY)
Base address: 0x88100100
Physical address: 0x88100100
Size: 0x00000100

So apparently this will NOT work in either AmigaOs4 or linux because it is revision 63 and not 65? Does the revision refer to hardware, or software initialization code? If it is software, can the onboard ROM be reflashed from 63 to 65? If not, what is the big difference between the rev 63 and 65 hardware chip that causes 63 to not work?

As for your linux menu volume, both of my drives are set to use the first linux partition on each one, but blocksize is 512 bytes for everything I have, both working bootable linux units and the non working one.
Still trying to figure that out.

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 14:46:05
#300 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Here is the info for my USB 2.0 controller:

That looks exactly like the USB2 chipset I am testing ATM. However my base address is 0x98100200. I have AGP ATI top, Sii 0680, USB2 then SB on bottom. What's your PCI layout?

Quote:
So apparently this will NOT work in either AmigaOs4 or linux because it is revision 63 and not 65?

Yes it looks like it. I have tested both a 63 and 65 in OS4. Both EHCI broken, UHCI and OHCI fine. In Linux the same for 63. But the 65 works with EHCI in Linux. So a 65 and kernel 2.6.31 works fine.

Quote:
Does the revision refer to hardware, or software initialization code?

AFAIK the hardware.

Quote:
If it is software, can the onboard ROM be reflashed from 63 to 65?

I don't know if the USB section has a ROM but the driver would reset the hardware anyway.

Quote:
If not, what is the big difference between the rev 63 and 65 hardware chip that causes 63 to not work?

I don't know exactly. But it is a better version of the 6202 apparently. I've read all about VIA quirks, timers and PCI mastering work arounds!

Quote:
Still trying to figure that out.

Try changing the blocksize to 1024 in MTB and see if it makes a difference. It won't affect Linux directly that I know of because it doesn't look at Amiga settings in the RDB. Yuo can always chnage it back otherwise. But the SLB code most likely willl read it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle