Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fingus:  7 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  26 mins ago
 amigagr:  32 mins ago
 MagicSN:  41 mins ago
 pixie:  54 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr ago
 matthey:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
Thematic 
Re: First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 18:06:16
#301 ]

With 2.6.31 I would have the mouse only working sometimes, when it was connected to an unpowered hub. Now that it's on the rear port of the A1XE it just works.

I remember the U-Boot getting just noise from the keyboard but that's typically when I have to press the reset button from OS4. I haven't noticed that it would ever get a keypress (or enter?) through, but pressing the reset button again worked every time (no thirds).

: Pegasos (ff) 512 MB & MorphOS
Praise seitan.

Profile     Report this post  
Geri 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 21:02:35
#302 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

Now that I've gotten squeeze mostly working, I tried disconnecting my SIL0680 card and setting my uboot prefs so boot1 = ide (the internal drive on which my squeeze partition exists).
However, when I boot, I never see any entry in uboot for squeeze or any linux variety.
I am using the same a1boot.conf file as shown in the posting previous to this. The only option I get from uboot is for AmigaOS.
Yes, the drive has an SLB. Yes, all the kernel image files are in the boot directory on my hda10 partition along with the a1boot.conf.

I have the same problem on my A1SE. It doesn't matter to which controller the drive is connected to or how I configure the Linux partition and boot priorities, the slb_v2 simply doesn't recognize my Linux partition.

BTW: I just managed to install Iceweasel 10.0.12. You also have to upgrade some libraries (libnss, libcairo, libpixman, etc.) to get all dependencies resolved, but it should work.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 21:17:57
#303 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
Are the xserver-xorg-input-evdev, xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse packages installed?

According to the apt cache xserver-xorg-input-evdev and xserver-xorg-input-all are.

These two packages are also installed on my A1SE, where keyboard and mouse work out of the box. I guess this could be an udev problem, as the kernel comes with an initramfs for Lenny.

Quote:
Quote:
@Hypex: adding an entry to an existing a1boot.conf file on another Linux paritions doesn't work yet, right?

It should actually. I have Debian on my first HD. Mac/Linux and Ubuntu in my second HD. Which also contains the SLB and my a1boot.conf.

Correct me, if I'm wrong. But I think there's an "exit" command in the middle of the postinstall.sh script. Or did I use an older version of the install CD?

BTW: I finally found a way to correctly sort the list of paritions. I have some other ideas to improve the postinstall.sh script, which I would like to try out on the weekend (I need to do another installation for this, so it needs some time).

Quote:
Quote:
@Hypex: Does your Squeeze installation report the same line in Xorg.0.log?

About the input devices? Yes.

Can you try to regenerate the initramfs and then the boot image? I think "update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.31-1-powerpc" should do the trick.

Quote:
I found this in my syslog. Cause of my problem? Similar entry repeat hundreds of times.

May 5 02:03:01 debian gdm-simple-slave[1748]: WARNING: Could not start command '/usr/bin/Xorg -br -verbose -audit 0 -novtswitch': Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/Xorg" (No such file or directory)
May 5 02:03:01 debian gdm-simple-slave[1748]: WARNING: Could not start the X server (your graphical environment) due to some internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected.
May 5 02:03:01 debian gdm3[1730]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.331267 seconds

Is there a Xorg executable in /usr/bin? Maybe a reinstall of the X.org packages also helps here.

- A1 Linux support -

damned 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 21:23:33
#304 ]

@Geri

Quote:
I hope we get the installer running with the 2.6.32 kernel, which is available on the amigaone-linux project homepage. Then you could do some test runs for example for USB 2.0 or direct rendering.

tried 2.6.38.3+ and 2.6.32 kernels but i don't have luck.. :(

Geri 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 21:33:50
#305 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
Fascinating! Could be some magic udev behavior!?

You may recall me emailing you about my drives going missing or being seemingly swapped at random.

Am I right that we didn't found the root cause for this?

Quote:
Quote:
Fascinating, too! What, if you press the (hardware) reset button? Does the ENTER key work then?

For me it would. Buit I thought this was just another UBoot UBug.

I'm not sure, if only U-Boot is the only culprit here. Unfortunately I didn't found a way yet to trigger a real hardware reset.

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@scabit

Quote:
So apparently this will NOT work in either AmigaOs4 or linux because it is revision 63 and not 65?

Yes it looks like it. I have tested both a 63 and 65 in OS4. Both EHCI broken, UHCI and OHCI fine. In Linux the same for 63. But the 65 works with EHCI in Linux. So a 65 and kernel 2.6.31 works fine.

How does the rev.63 card behave under Linux?

Quote:
Try changing the blocksize to 1024 in MTB and see if it makes a difference. It won't affect Linux directly that I know of because it doesn't look at Amiga settings in the RDB. Yuo can always chnage it back otherwise. But the SLB code most likely willl read it.

That didn't help on my A1SE.

Last edited by Geri on 11-Feb-2013 at 09:54 PM.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 21:58:50
#306 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Quote:
damned wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
I hope we get the installer running with the 2.6.32 kernel, which is available on the amigaone-linux project homepage. Then you could do some test runs for example for USB 2.0 or direct rendering.

tried 2.6.38.3+ and 2.6.32 kernels but i don't have luck.. :(

How did you install them?

They do not work out of the box, because you have to tweak the generation of initramfs images. That's what I would like to add to the installer so that it is done automatically (also when updates are installed).

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 11-Feb-2013 22:05:24
#307 ]
Elite Member

@Thematic

Quote:
Thematic wrote:
With 2.6.31 I would have the mouse only working sometimes, when it was connected to an unpowered hub. Now that it's on the rear port of the A1XE it just works.

Actually I don't know how a hub signalizes a new USB device to the host. But I guess the mouse needs to be plugged in on power-up to be recognized by the OS, right?

Quote:
I remember the U-Boot getting just noise from the keyboard but that's typically when I have to press the reset button from OS4. I haven't noticed that it would ever get a keypress (or enter?) through, but pressing the reset button again worked every time (no thirds).

Not directly related, but the software reset (to U-Boot) doesn't work from OS4 on my A1SE, but works fine in Linux. I wonder if OS4 does something different here!?

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 12-Feb-2013 3:05:56
#308 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
What's your PCI layout?

Well, since I have a micro A1, the SYBA USB2/SATA/EIDE card plugs into the single PCI slot when I take out the SIL0680 card. But I won;t be able to test that until I can get Squeeze to boot from my internal IDE drive on the micro A1.

So, is there any chance that the kernel 2.6.32 will work with the VIA USB2 chip rev 63 that I have? That would be great. You guys are coming up with a 2.6.32 kernel for the AmigaOne sometime soon? Please be sure to add the SATA drivers in!!!

I'll try changing the blocksize to 1024, but i can't imagine that will make any difference.

Scott

Geri 
Posted on 12-Feb-2013 8:19:41
#309 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Hypex

So, is there any chance that the kernel 2.6.32 will work with the VIA USB2 chip rev 63 that I have?

Sorry, I can't guarantee that. I don't have such a card yet to do any tests.

Quote:
That would be great. You guys are coming up with a 2.6.32 kernel for the AmigaOne sometime soon?

I have some ideas how to fully automate the installation of this kernel, but I need some more time to implement it.

Quote:
Please be sure to add the SATA drivers in!!!

They're already in!

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 12-Feb-2013 21:46:17
#310 ]

@Geri

How did you get 10.0.12? I did an apt-get install iceweasel and got 3.5.16!

And yes, this version still has the nasty wait for a long time while I'm typing bug. But it is not quite as bad!

Last edited by scabit on 12-Feb-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 12-Feb-2013 22:06:26
#311 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

How did you get 10.0.12? I did an apt-get install iceweasel and got 3.5.16!

With this sources.lists:

Quote:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ squeeze main non-free
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release icedove-esr

The backports repository provides Iceweasel 10.0.12, but note that you have to upgrade some other packages (which I mentioned before) to their backports (*bpo*) versions.

I think you can leave the mozilla.debian.net entry out, as this repository does not seem to provide any PPC packages.

- A1 Linux support -

damned 
Posted on 12-Feb-2013 22:20:59
#312 ]

@Geri

Quote:
How did you install them? They do not work out of the box, because you have to tweak the generation of initramfs images. That's what I would like to add to the installer so that it is done automatically (also when updates are installed).

yep, i follow the istructions but with this kernel after some seconds my a1 reboot..

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 6:12:38
#313 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Something breaks between the starting and console output. So you don't have a null modem cable lying around then?

Geri 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 6:51:30
#314 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Quote:
damned wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
How did you install them? They do not work out of the box, because you have to tweak the generation of initramfs images. That's what I would like to add to the installer so that it is done automatically (also when updates are installed).

yep, i follow the istructions but with this kernel after some seconds my a1 reboot..

Are you refering to the v2.6.38 kernel install instructions? The system likely reboots because the initramfs and thus the whole boot image becomes to big and then crashes the slb_v2. Additionally the entry address is different for the v2.6.32 kernel and a wrong address here can also lead to a crash i.e. reboot.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 15:34:36
#315 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
These two packages are also installed on my A1SE, where keyboard and mouse work out of the box.

I got it! I installed all three; xserver-xorg-input-evdev was in, xserver-xorg-input-kbd was missing and xserver-xorg-input-mouse couldn't install as it was referecned by another package.

I also started getting the locale errors. And tried a fsck. Which IIRC is directly missing from the rescue installler.

I rebooted and after that it worked.

Quote:
Correct me, if I'm wrong. But I think there's an "exit" command in the middle of the postinstall.sh script.

You're correct Looks like I killed the menu features with my IDE args addition. Oops.

Quote:
BTW: I finally found a way to correctly sort the list of paritions.

Oh I forgot to test your last suggestion. I also found here somewhere another option: blkid

That works well to set out volumes with Linux filesystems.

Which I need as for some reason I can't mount any volumes in the installer without specifying filesystem type.

Quote:
Can you try to regenerate the initramfs and then the boot image?

This works. I had to install mkimage and initramfs-tools but I can regenerate it. Forgot how to create the UBoot image so just kept using my old one!

I also tested 2.6.38.3+. Mouse frozen. For some reason I had installed no modules. Copied them and it worked.

For whatever reason the 2.6.32 kernel isn't working and crashes after loading.

Quote:
Is there a Xorg executable in /usr/bin?

There is now! I ended up trying to install gdm which wanted to replace gdm3. Took 11MB. Then tried to install gnome and gmome-desktop. Wants 400MB about download. Noooo!

Cancelled that. It had a gnome login anyway. Looks like it needed input support and modules.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 15:56:28
#316 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Am I right that we didn't found the root cause for this? :oops

You're right. I booted Debian today. Left it loading while I went to the loo. Came back and there were a host of USB errors about unable to add hub this or another. For some reason Linux gets stuck on my front USB ports until I plug a usb stick in! Then I realised it hadn't booted and pressed return to find I was in the initramfs. At this point it was waitign for /dev to populate but gave up. Usually I can press return and it finds it to continnue. But I tried to use the more command and got stuck as I couldn't break put of it.

I then reset, reloaded and this time /dev populated in time!

Quote:
I'm not sure, if only U-Boot is the only culprit here.

Yes, the SLB is where the bug occurs.

Quote:
How does the rev.63 card behave under Linux?

The same! It's broken. Now I don't know how the 65 worked at all. As in OS4 UHCI or OHCI works fine but EHCI doesn't.

We need the 6212 work arounnds I think. Check this source:
http://sup.xenya.si/sup/info/linksys/Sources/wrt54g3g/WRT54G3G_1_99_7_0912_EURO/release/src/linux/linux/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c

Here is a neater closeup. Search for 6212 in source:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/branches/buildroot-ng/openwrt/target/linux/generic-2.4/patches/228-more_usb_fixes.patch?rev=4325&order=name

I suspect OS4 needs this code but without documentation stating it needs to be done and hardware to verify it they won't modify the driver so OS4 EHCI will be broken for years to come!

I can tell them what registers to poke with what values but I suspect that won't help. Might have worked once with the VIA DMA patch but now now in software: "This works but we don't know why."

All I can find are sources. I can't find any docs on the workaround except for a note on timer delay . But the fact is the VIA EHCI chips cause problems in the Linux world and in the Amiga world. Works fine in Windows on x86. Can work fine with a compatible PCI bridge.

Googling "linux ehci 6212" is a good start.

BTW Debian includes the aliaes.conf IIRC that tells to load the EHCI driver first. But it still doesn't work. EHCI is still oaded last! I've read this can break a 6212 on Linux and also that sometimes the UHCI or OHCI driver also needs to be disabled otherwise EHCI will not work.

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Feb-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 13-Feb-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 16:17:57
#317 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Well, since I have a micro A1, the SYBA USB2/SATA/EIDE card plugs into the single PCI slot

Yes that would give a completely different layout to my A1!

Quote:
So, is there any chance that the kernel 2.6.32 will work with the VIA USB2 chip rev 63 that I have?

If it has the 6212 work arounds it should. But I don'y know if they are in there. Given I see no evidence in 2.6.38.3+ I suspect not. But all we need to do is give Geri the USB2 patch so he can recompile the module.

So with this card you haven't been able to boot Linux at all? In the event you can test any kernel with any distro you could conect devices through a USB1.1 hub to test the 6212 controller in USB1.1 mode. That should work at least.

Quote:
You guys are coming up with a 2.6.32 kernel for the AmigaOne sometime soon?

Geri should have a package eventually. In the meantime I can rebuild my installer to use it with the latest Debian initrd and create the needed boot files.

Quote:
I'll try changing the blocksize to 1024, but i can't imagine that will make any difference.

I'm tending to agree. Seems I need to compile some sort of SLB Linux debugger!

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Feb-2013 at 10:42 PM.

damned 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 20:26:40
#318 ]

@Geri

i follow these istruction:
http://amigaone-linux.sourceforge.net/kernel/2.6.38/INSTALL.txt
so..is there any thing that i could try?

scabit 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 21:05:32
#319 ]

@Geri

Okay, after about a half hour of using google to look up such things as "download new debian libraries?" and "how do I upgrade debian libraries?" and getting nothing useful at all, I am led to ask...how exactly does one download and install a new library? apt-get does not recognize the libnss, libcairo or libpixman names and is for installing applications, not libraries.
So what do I use to upgrade libraries?

Thanks,

Scott

olegil 
Posted on 13-Feb-2013 21:38:19
#320 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

apt-get upgrade package will upgrade whatever package you point it at, there's no difference between applications and libraries in Debian. If something exists as a package you can install, upgrade or remove it using apt-get.

apt-cache search hint is very useful for finding exact names of things

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle