Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 _ThEcRoW:  7 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  11 mins ago
 OlafS25:  20 mins ago
 Gunnar:  28 mins ago
 Kremlar:  42 mins ago
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 15:31:08
#421 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Back then I managed to build MoL 0.9.73.

Where did you get this? I could only find 0.9.72.1 sources.

Quote:
You mean the VIA SATA/USB card?

Yes, Amazon had two new for $49 when I checked.

Quote:
The 2.6.31 kernel is definitely EoL.

I know but I liked it! Funny I can find 2.6.32. Perhaps time to give up the old faithful?

It's only that my present installer is built on it that it would be good to have it work.

Plus I have a broken 2.6.32 and my 2.6.38 works but network is broken. Got IP address but no net. Didn't notice that before. Slight glitch?

Okay, I can see I need new kernel versions!

Quote:
It looks like I also get errors here due ot the different tool-chains under Etch and Lenny.

Forget that. Something went wrong trying to download gcc and make. It's not working. Will look agains later.

Back to Ubuntu. But on OS4 building MOL is the worst of all!

Actually no, I get this far with Project Moami. (Mac On Amiga.)

+ Entering lxdialog
+ Entering kconfig
gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target `../../src/include/sys/ioctl.h', needed by `../../obj-ppc/build/config/kconfig/mconf.o'. Stop.
bin:gmake[1]: *** [sub-kconfig-all] Error 2
gmake: *** [do-bootstrap] Error 2

FWIW I have the includes it need but it breaks with the SDK and newlib definitions.

Quote:
BTW: I could test your latest Debian Install CD on my A1SE today

Excellent. Thanks! I was about to format a 4GB USB stick and try installing it on that. This weekend.

Quote:
The install CD boots now.

I thought that was an old one?

Quote:
Is this intended?

Yes I followed you advice on libata controlling DMA on all ATA devices which should include SATA. And ended up making the bootargs mutually exclusive to the ide core ones.

Quote:
slow_down=1 is not set

Yeah, I wrote the code before that came out. Should be added always regardless?

Quote:
IDE and libata kernel parameters

Okay will check my script again. I added a check for libata which could have broken that. Sure my "if" command was right. I did rush it out.

Quote:
The kernel image isn't copied

Could it be related to list-partitions problem? But then again you mentioned an a1boot.conf file. Is the boot line appended to your current a1boot.conf file?

I know the order is a problem and have a plan to fix it.

Last edited by Hypex on 08-Apr-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
damned 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 22:08:29
#422 ]

@Geri

Quote:
Mysterious! What version of the U-Boot firmware are you using?

the latest public..uboot 1.1.1

Geri 
Posted on 9-Apr-2013 20:00:58
#423 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
Back then I managed to build MoL 0.9.73.

Where did you get this? I could only find 0.9.72.1 sources.

This version builds as 0.9.73.

Quote:
Quote:
You mean the VIA SATA/USB card?

Yes, Amazon had two new for $49 when I checked.

Thanks for the info! But I think I have enough addon-cards now. It would only save me a PCI slot.

Quote:
Quote:
The 2.6.31 kernel is definitely EoL.

I know but I liked it! Funny I can find 2.6.32. Perhaps time to give up the old faithful?

Yes, it's about time! :D
BTW: you told me that you have problems with the 2.6.32 kernel, but I think I never really found out what these problems are. So are there any problems I should know of?

Quote:
It's only that my present installer is built on it that it would be good to have it work.

Sure, but it shouldn't be that hard to replace the 2.6.31 kernel with the 2.6.32 version. And the list of modules I presented should allow to boot almost any system.

Quote:
Plus I have a broken 2.6.32 and my 2.6.38 works but network is broken. Got IP address but no net. Didn't notice that before. Slight glitch?

What do you mean exactly with "broken"? I don't have a working installation with the 2.6.38 kernel. Thus I don't know, if there are problem with the network. Where there any error messages from the 3c59x driver (transmit timeout) or something like this?

Quote:
Okay, I can see I need new kernel versions!

Quote:
Quote:
It looks like I also get errors here due ot the different tool-chains under Etch and Lenny.

Forget that. Something went wrong trying to download gcc and make. It's not working. Will look agains later.

Okay. However I remember that I compiled MoL under Etch and the 2.6.18 kernel under Lenny on my A1XE. Thus I wonder why it doesn't work the same way on my A1SE with a Etch and Lenny-chroot environment!?

Quote:
Back to Ubuntu. But on OS4 building MOL is the worst of all!

How should that work at all? Do you have all Linux/POSIX includes available on OS4?

Quote:
Actually no, I get this far with Project Moami. (Mac On Amiga.)

+ Entering lxdialog
+ Entering kconfig
gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target `../../src/include/sys/ioctl.h', needed by `../../obj-ppc/build/config/kconfig/mconf.o'. Stop.
bin:gmake[1]: *** [sub-kconfig-all] Error 2
gmake: *** [do-bootstrap] Error 2

FWIW I have the includes it need but it breaks with the SDK and newlib definitions.

Hmm, isn't kconfig only the "kernel configuration" tool that generates the .config files?

Did you work already on a AmigaOS4 version of the MoL kernel module?

Quote:
Quote:
BTW: I could test your latest Debian Install CD on my A1SE today

Excellent. Thanks! I was about to format a 4GB USB stick and try installing it on that. This weekend.

Quote:
The install CD boots now.

I thought that was an old one?

Sure, it did boot before, but the kernel locked up on the SATA drive detection. That's fixed now with the libata.dma=0 boot option.

Quote:
Yes I followed you advice on libata controlling DMA on all ATA devices which should include SATA. And ended up making the bootargs mutually exclusive to the ide core ones.

Well, they shouldn't conflict with each other. You could disable DMA for both the IDE and LIBATA drivers.

Quote:
Quote:
slow_down=1 is not set

Yeah, I wrote the code before that came out. Should be added always regardless?

Yes, I would do so. First because the 2.6.32 and newer kernel seems to need it on the A1SE and second because users may use some of the first SATA drives, which fail to work on a Sii3112 controller without this option.

Quote:
Okay will check my script again. I added a check for libata which could have broken that. Sure my "if" command was right. I did rush it out.

Thanks!

Quote:
Could it be related to list-partitions problem? But then again you mentioned an a1boot.conf file. Is the boot line appended to your current a1boot.conf file?

Yes, the boot line was appended to the a1boot.conf file. Also the backup file (a1boot.conf.bak) was created. That's why I don't understand, why the boot image wasn't copied to the boot partition.

Quote:
I know the order is a problem and have a plan to fix it.

Did you try out my proposal with using the "/target/"'s sort command to sort the list-devices output. This has to work for sure, as I tried it out in the installer environment! Busybox sort command turned out to be buggy.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 9-Apr-2013 20:01:01
#424 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Quote:
damned wrote:
@Geri

the latest public..uboot 1.1.1

Hmm, can you try to boot only the bare kernel image (cuImage.amigaone-2.6.32-5-book3s-amigaone or cuImage.amigaone-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-book3s-amigaone)?
These images can't boot into userspace (IDE/SATA drivers are not compiled in), but maybe it doesn't already crash right on startup.

BTW: any luck with a null-modem cable?

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 11-Apr-2013 1:34:44
#425 ]

@Geri

Quote:
Yes, the kernel source is available here and needs to go to /usr/src/linux

Okay, so this is the source for kernel 2.6.18 only, which we know MOL works with, correct? But you say you must compile it under Etch, which I no longer have on my machine anywhere. Am I understanding this right, it will not compile under Lenny for some reason?

Okay, just checking. Wondering if anyone has managed to get a version of MOL to work with kernel 2.6.31 or 2.6.32 or 3.2.0.

Oh, will this version of MOL work with 68k MAC OS7.5 or 8.1? I have 7.5 on n HFS partition, and 8.1 on Apple Release CD.

Thanks,

Scott

Geri 
Posted on 11-Apr-2013 12:51:33
#426 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

Okay, so this is the source for kernel 2.6.18 only, which we know MOL works with, correct?

Yes, but I cross-compiled the kernel on a x86 machine, thus some auxiliary programs (fixdep, etc.) provided by the kernel source break the MoL build. Sorry, I didn't think about that, when I compiled the kernel.

Quote:
But you say you must compile it under Etch, which I no longer have on my machine anywhere. Am I understanding this right, it will not compile under Lenny for some reason?

Yes, MoL fails to build with Lenny's version of the zlib library. Also I can't get MoL to build in an Etch-chroot at the moment. Thus I'll give it a try on my A1XE, where I still have a complete Etch installation.

Quote:
Okay, just checking. Wondering if anyone has managed to get a version of MOL to work with kernel 2.6.31 or 2.6.32 or 3.2.0.

On the AmigaOne surely not. And I yet have to give the new KVM (kernel virtual machine) backend of MoL a try on the AmigaOne.

Quote:
Oh, will this version of MOL work with 68k MAC OS7.5 or 8.1? I have 7.5 on n HFS partition, and 8.1 on Apple Release CD.

I doubt the 68k version of MacOS version will run, as MoL is not a 68k emulator (it's more like Shapeshifter or VirtualBox).

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 11-Apr-2013 21:57:42
#427 ]

@Geri

I have two different LENNY partitions, one on my 80 Gig drive and one on my 160 Gig drive.
I copied the one from my 160Gig drive to my 80 Gig drive as a sort of backup, but it didn't work properly (as you recall from previous posts in this thread) and I ended up having to create a new user account to be able to log onto it.
I notice when I boot into the copied LENNY partition on my 80 Gig drive that when I do an apt-get update I get the following errors:

Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://archive.debian.org lenny/updates Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1356982504
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.debian-multimedia.org/dists/lenny/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'archive.debian-multimedia.org'

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.debian-multimedia.org/dists/lenny/main/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2 Could not resolve 'archive.debian-multimedia.org'

W: Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/lenny-backports/main/binary-powerpc/Packages 301 Moved Permanently [IP: 140.211.166.43 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/lenny-backports/contrib/binary-powerpc/Packages 301 Moved Permanently [IP: 140.211.166.43 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/lenny-backports/non-free/binary-powerpc/Packages 301 Moved Permanently [IP: 140.211.166.43 80]

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I try running apt-get update again, it fails the same way every time.

What's wrong?

Thanks!

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 11-Apr-2013 21:59:59
#428 ]

OH...my sources.list is this:

deb http://archive.debian-multimedia.org lenny main
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian-security/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 3:04:56
#429 ]

@Geri
@Hypex

I notice that release candidate #1 for Debian 7.0 Wheezy for PowerPC is available as of Feb 13, 2013. The CD images for this can be found here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_rc1/powerpc/iso-cd/

So....would it be possible for me to install Wheezy on a Debian partition with the kernel 3.2.0 that Geri created? Is that kernel compatible with Wheezy?

Would it be possible to install the whole thing through apt-get as I did when I went from (IIRC) Etch to Lenny? That way I could use an existing working Squeeze partition to download everything to get Wheezy to work?

Just curious. Also, have either of you tried Wheezy? What advantage does it have over Squeeze?

THanks!

SCott

Geri 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 8:39:57
#430 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

I notice when I boot into the copied LENNY partition on my 80 Gig drive that when I do an apt-get update I get the following errors:

Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://archive.debian.org lenny/updates Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1356982504

I'm afraid you can't do anything about this error, except ignoring it. Package installation should still be possible.

Quote:
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.debian-multimedia.org/dists/lenny/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'archive.debian-multimedia.org'
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.debian-multimedia.org/dists/lenny/main/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2 Could not resolve 'archive.debian-multimedia.org'

I can't recall a package repository hosted on "archive.debian-multimedia.org". "www.debian-multimedia.org" itself was renamed to deb-multimedia.org, but it doesn't provide any Lenny packages anymore. Thus you could remove this entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Quote:
W: Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/lenny-backports/main/binary-powerpc/Packages 301 Moved Permanently [IP: 140.211.166.43 80]
W: Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/lenny-backports/contrib/binary-powerpc/Packages 301 Moved Permanently [IP: 140.211.166.43 80]
W: Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/lenny-backports/non-free/binary-powerpc/Packages 301 Moved Permanently [IP: 140.211.166.43 80]

"backports.org" is no more, as backports packages are now hosted on the debian.org FTP servers, too. Lenny backports packages can still be found on archive.debian.org.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 8:56:41
#431 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri
@Hypex

I notice that release candidate #1 for Debian 7.0 Wheezy for PowerPC is available as of Feb 13, 2013. The CD images for this can be found here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_rc1/powerpc/iso-cd/

So....would it be possible for me to install Wheezy on a Debian partition with the kernel 3.2.0 that Geri created? Is that kernel compatible with Wheezy?

Yes, that should be possible, even if the kernel was compiled using the backports kernel sources for Squeeze.

Quote:
Would it be possible to install the whole thing through apt-get as I did when I went from (IIRC) Etch to Lenny? That way I could use an existing working Squeeze partition to download everything to get Wheezy to work?

You could either dist-upgrade an existing Squeeze installation with apt-get or setup a completely new Wheezy installation with debootstrap (can be installed with your favorite package manager). For debootstrap it may be the best to install a backports version (if it exists), which already knows about Wheezy.

There are lots of guides available on how to use debootstrap to create a Debian installation.

Quote:
Just curious. Also, have either of you tried Wheezy? What advantage does it have over Squeeze?

Not yet on an AmigaOne. Here is described what's new in Wheezy compared to Debian Squeeze.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 14:18:29
#432 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
After a whole day of debugging (and copying around whole partitions) it turned out that the inode size needs to be fixed to 128 bytes to make the partition readable by the slb_v2 bootloader.

Wow that was a lot of work! Okay so what would cause this to be another size? Does it relate to block size?

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 14:32:01
#433 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
This is where I left off last time. I need to get the mol source files and then somehow recompile them for kernel 3.2.0 yes?

In theory yes. However as per Geri's advice on 3.2.0 best to stick with a "lower" kernel.

Quote:
The errors are "expected ')' before '*' token

What now?

Look for a missing include file.

Quote:
I try to run ./autoconf and of course it doesn't exist. So I go and try to dowload autoconf and I get missing dependencies.

That's because autoconf should be in the current directory, it would be included in the source. Unless it only had ./configure instead. Or was simply built from a Makefile.

Quote:
Had to comment out the include for stdio.h in the blk_dmg.c file to continue.

I did the same! IIRC we need ZLib 1.2.3 to compile it correctly without source hacking.

Quote:
I'm guessing I need to install the kernel source files in /usr/src/linux yes?

Yes but the headers should be good enough. What kernel are you building on? If your sources could reach a kernel-headers-2.6.31-1 that would have been a good one!

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Apr-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 15:01:05
#434 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
This version builds as 0.9.73.

Okay I saw some reference in a source file.

Regarding compiling, I forgot until I found this! Infact I was looking for the SyncRead error on amigaworld.net but nothing came up amd only five threads are listed in the Linux section.

So googled it to locate it. Should submit a bug report on that one.

Regarding kernel source files. So, how about a poor mans source, include header files?

On that note do we need specific A1 header files? And do you have just headers for these newer kernels which I will migrate too soon?

Quote:
Thanks for the info! But I think I have enough addon-cards now. It would only save me a PCI slot.

As long as you don't need it your system will be fine.

You were looking for one. I think a friend would like one as well. I see NEC chip on there but is that USB? Seems unlikely if VIA can do all chipsets.

Quote:
BTW: you told me that you have problems with the 2.6.32 kernel, but I think I never really found out what these problems are.

I suspect the problem is at my end. I don't think the initrd is setup correctly. And/or modules.

I'll get it working and see if an specific issues show up.

Quote:
Sure, but it shouldn't be that hard to replace the 2.6.31 kernel with the 2.6.32 version.

I guess not. I just so what I do with a new image. Remove previous modules from lib dir and replace with A1 modules. Infact it's slightly more complicated, as I now take them from the initrd for a stripped copy. Or can just copy across the dir list in the initrd.

Then just a matter of replacing the kernel in the installer files. UBoot image. Scripts...

Quote:
What do you mean exactly with "broken"?

IIRC it panics at boot. I'll fix it.

Quote:
Where there any error messages from the 3c59x driver (transmit timeout) or something like this?

I just went to check the logs and they are cut off. Linux froze recently as well. I don' remember booting into it since.

Quote:
Thus I wonder why it doesn't work the same way on my A1SE with a Etch and Lenny-chroot environment!?

As do I. Perhaps related to the problems I encountered. Remember your advice? Have you checked all source leading to MoL kernel modules?

Quote:
How should that work at all? Do you have all Linux/POSIX includes available on OS4?

I started work on this project a long time ago in the OS4.0 days IIRC. When I started I actually downloaded some Linux include files and put them in their own sys folder in the includes. So I had all that I needed but it would always break as it conflicted with OS4 ones.

So then I would remove files and the OS4 includes would lack features...

Quote:
Hmm, isn't kconfig only the "kernel configuration" tool that generates the .config files?

Yes I guess it is. But it felt good when about eight sources compile and one process completes!

Quote:
Did you work already on a AmigaOS4 version of the MoL kernel module?

No. Didn't get faar did I? When I got to that I was intending to substitute Linux MMU functions for Exec ones through some translation code. Or I'd hoped.

I recall Ross V told me MoL would be impossible on OS4, to paraphrase, and so Project Moami begun. But, 68K Amiga could run MacOS. And a PowerPC Amiga could run MacOS PPC through WarpUP and Fusion. So it's certainly not impossible.

I side project was to patch the OS4 WarpUP implmentation so get Fusion to work but I neber got around to researching it too much.

Quote:
That's fixed now with the libata.dma=0 boot option.

Okay gotcha.

Quote:
Well, they shouldn't conflict with each other. You could disable DMA for both the IDE and LIBATA drivers.

I did it on purpose. I forget why. If DMA was disabled on libata then I wouldn't include ide_core setttings as they would be redundant. That is, assuming libata can control all DMA? In which case my logical is really flawed if it doesnt!

I recall this was the solution to specifying dma off settings on a number of ide controlers where sata would still be missed. As it controlls all bases?

But I should include bus disabling on ide. It is restricted to bus and not devices. As I thought it more important to stop a full bus scan that a device scan. However this isn't UBoot, but Linux, so what was I thinking!?

Quote:
Yes, I would do so.

On my todo list.

Quote:
Thanks!

No problems, will sort out soon.

Quote:
That's why I don't understand, why the boot image wasn't copied to the boot partition.

Well at least it is partially working. I'll do some tests.

Quote:
Did you try out my proposal with using the "/target/"'s sort command to sort the list-devices output.

I can't remember! Was that one in an email? I tried one you suggested but it didn't work and I forget which one. But good point, it has to work in the installer enviroment. I'm not worried as I intend to rewrite that section. So it DOES work!

As this point, with Wheezy breating down our necks. Should we forfeit Squeeze? It may be hard as it needs 3.2 kernel which on A1 is still WIP?

Perhaps in the interim target 2.6.32 or any other latest kernel you suggest and final Debian 6 installer for now.

Last edited by Hypex on 12-Apr-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 15:51:36
#435 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:

No but you could try this on OS4:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=emulation/computer/basilisk2.lha

Are there any more questions you need answering I haven't yet got too?

Last edited by Hypex on 12-Apr-2013 at 03:52 PM.

scabit 
Posted on 12-Apr-2013 16:18:25
#436 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
As this point, with Wheezy breating down our necks. Should we forfeit Squeeze? It may be hard as it needs 3.2 kernel which on A1 is still WIP?

I have been using kernel 3.2.0 for a few weeks now on my micro A1 and it seems very stable with Squeeze. I may upgrade to Wheezy and see what happens (not sure if I have enough bandwidth this month to do it).
Ideally (I can dream, can't I?) I'd like to see a version of MOL working with kernel 3.2.0, and have Wheezy installed and running also with the same 3.2.0 kernel. And of course, finally get the VIA USB2 working on my Syba PCI card.
As for Basilisk2 - yes, I made some source changes for it to get the dialup internet working on it and uploaded it to OS4depot, but someone put a newer version on OS4 depot that overwrote my fixed version and cannot be compiled, and does not include an executable. But I have been using Basilisk2 fine for a few years now in OS4 - great program!

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 13-Apr-2013 0:10:51
#437 ]

@Geri
@Hypex

So I figured I would try to build the MOL kernel files under Debian Lenny just to see what happened. I downloaded the mol-kernel sources, and then downloaded the 2.6.18 sources you pointed to in a previous post. I assume I do not need to apply any A1 specific patches to this kernel source before building it? i.e. it is already the patched version, yes?

I installed zlib1g-dev and autoconf and gcc..all is well there.

A big problem I seem to have is that when I try to extract the 2.6.18 kernel sources, I cannot do it using the filemanager because it won;t allow me permission to install the files in /usr/src/linux. When I do it from a command line prompt, it installs where ever I happen to be and creates a directory named linux-sources-2.6.18, with LOTS of files and directories inside.
I cd to the mol kernel main directory (in my home directory) and type ./autogen.sh
That works great. I then type make
It makes the mol build, then goes to linux and tries to compile the kernel, but can't find the right environment variable. I tried copying the linux-sources-2.6.18 directory to /usr/src/linux and I get an error "Unconfigured kernel source!"
How do I fix that? I'm sure it is some very simple and highly cryptic 3 character command that will fix everything.....

Thanks!

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 13-Apr-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Seiya 
Posted on 14-Apr-2013 13:43:57
#438 ]

many pages here, so i don't want to read all.
But on Linux with Sam460 o X1000 is there some 3D hardware acceleration?

scabit 
Posted on 15-Apr-2013 20:18:03
#439 ]

@Geri

Quote:
--- The kernel source directory '/usr/src/linux' does not exist. --- Set the KERNEL_SOURCE environment variable to the appropriate directory.

Okay, I installed the 2.6.18 kernel sources you pointed to and did this:

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.18 /usr/src/linux

and I still get the above error. How do I set the KERNEL_SOURCE environment variable to the proper directory? I'd like to give building the MOL kernel modules a try. All the MOL kernel stuff builds, but it breaks at the above error trying to build the kernel 2.6.18 modules.

OH, this is on LENNY using kernel 2.6.18

Thanks,

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Apr-2013 6:52:09
#440 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Given you are trying to build for 2.6.18 have you tried these MoL versions:
http://amigaone-linux.sourceforge.net/download.php

Otherwise rebuilding MoL for 2.6.18 is pointless unless yours really won't work on this kernel. I'm trying to get my 2.6.32 kernel working so I can compile on that. But my initrd is corrupt.

I also found a source for 2.6.31 kernel headers (linux-rt-headers-2.6.31) but can't get it to install. This is despite the fact that some years back I actually recompiled MoL to fix some bug I had. But do you think I could find all the files to do it? No!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle