Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  22 mins ago
 corb0:  27 mins ago
 zipper:  28 mins ago
 kolla:  31 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 ktadd:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Poll : Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?
Yes
No
Pancakes

PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: [Poll] Would you purchase an Amy Developer MB for $300-350 US /227 Euro?
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 10:26:45
#221 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

And what has Rogue actually written ? Nothing but the usual *hint* *hint *nudge* *nudge*, something that has been used to mislead the community far to many times.

And even if Troika did send some weird eval-boards, thats something I could also do. Wouldn't mean that I'm capable of bringing an enduser-read mobo to market.

Proof is in the pudding, all we have sofar is foto showing a package of instant-pudding....

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 12:51:39
#222 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Kronos

Quote:
And what has Rogue actually written ? Nothing but the usual *hint* *hint *nudge* *nudge*, something that has been used to mislead the community far to many times.

What I said was actually quite clear. I said "Hyperion has not received board X and/or board Y". Nothing else. There was no hint, no nudge, nothing. The statement was clear, and what I added in this thread was just to clarify that I did not claim that NO BOARD at all was sent, just that it were not the mentioned boards.

You try to suggest something that isn't there. Talk about misleading.

AP 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 13:05:21
#223 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue: Thank you for clarification.

Yssing 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 13:06:57
#224 ]

Yeahh sure, I would buy one..

Kronos 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 13:42:43
#225 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Well, you did NOT say "we received other boards", but yet the 1st reply by ChrisH was "OK, you seem to be implying that you received a board other than Amy or Panda from Troika. "

Intentional or not, thats the hint-hint-nudge-nudge game in it's purest form.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 14:16:01
#226 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@Rogue

Well, you did NOT say "we received other boards", but yet the 1st reply by ChrisH was "OK, you seem to be implying that you received a board other than Amy or Panda from Troika. "

Intentional or not, thats the hint-hint-nudge-nudge game in it's purest form.

Come on now, he answered you. That OT ends here. Hyperion did not received Amy05 or Panda but propably they received some other board (call it Athena or anything else) from Troika.

Now let's get move on. I have SAM and I am not satisfied by its speed. The board is slow. Although I just bought it, if Troika could build a machine 50% faster than mine for 230 euros (including tax?) then I would replace SAM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 14:32:58
#227 ]
Team Member

@all

What I don't get about all of this is whats the harm in showing the actual board to us? If its 99 percent done, runs Linux from day one, and is in the hands of Hyperion for eval? Why this game with showing the Freescale reference board instead?

Lets also bear in mind that Hyperion could have received boards that are garbage, yet they are bound to an NDA.

I see little reason to not still be highly skeptical. That said I'd welcome seeing another hardware choice for OS 4.1. And almost all can be quickly forgiven from this vendor if they can really get a board that runs OS 4.1 out the door for $300 to $350 USD.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 09-Feb-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Amiga 1200

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 14:37:13
#228 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

wot 'e said.

Hyperion had some incarnation of Amiga OS running on an IBM produced PDA - but that doesn't mean jack, other than they put the work in to get it running on it. That PDA won't ever be for sale, and anything from Troika is in exactly the same shape until Troika decides quit it with this "HAY GAIZ WE HAS NEW BOARD BUT ITZ SEKRIT KAY?" horseshit. Seriously, this smug-as-all-get-out attitude is what kept me away from Bill Buck's all dancing all singing sideshow, and he actually had products for sale.

So keep it up, Troika. Keep not acting like an IT company and keep acting like a bunch of clowns and in a few short years you can go back to flogging your IT skills on Monster.com, lookin' for jobs.

Last edited by TheDungeonDelver on 09-Feb-2009 at 02:39 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 14:57:42
#229 ]

@TheDungeonDelver

I think it's worse then that. Who the heck is going to put up with choosing either no audio or no video? Troika is failing to meet the basic standards that Iwin created oh so long ago.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 15:14:51
#230 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

Ha ha ha ha. Oh lord. I read that and had a good chuckle.

I'm sure Troika will now either:

Handwave the matter ("Our boards are, of course, not the eval boards and have addressed this problem") or

Not respond at all.

billt 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 15:44:00
#231 ]
Elite Member

@marko

Quote:
Troika = bedroom company

If they are, so what? Where do the Friedens work? Where is Evert's office? What does Acube look like? What did Amiga Inc. give us when they had that big office building? Why care? Hewlett Packard started in a toolshed. Apple stared in a garage. If they produce something, their environment is irrelevant. If they don' t product something, their environment is irrelevant. Only the product is relevant.

I myself have ideas I'd like to make real. Anything I do will be from my house. I'm not going to spend all my money renting an office and not have any money left to spend on CAD programs, prototypes, parts, licenses, travel to vendors, etc. Get office space when you have lots of income to pay for it. Don't make it the first expense of your baby company.

Phantom 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 16:02:45
#232 ]
Elite Member

Sorry, but I don't believe anybody, until I see something that I can touch it with my bare hands. We've heard millions of projects and the 90% of them were vapors.

Yo 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 16:36:26
#233 ]
Team Member

@Troika

OK, so... you have had your poll, and hopefully have gathered some useful feedback from it.

Please, now, utilize the information to do POSITIVE things, such as: Update your website, give the staff here information so WE can update your information on the H/W thread, etc...

Take into account just WHAT people have said on here, I seriously think people want to see you succeed.

Good luck to you.

...and how about you take care of the above before we see any MORE Polls from you? Hmm?

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

AP 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 20:11:57
#234 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH.: Well spoken!

sundown 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 21:39:49
#235 ]
Elite Member

Forum love is a flame,
it burns you when it gets to hot,
but can be so soothing when your alone,
so helpful when your afraid and lonely,
it can hurt you if you try to use it too much,
it burns you when it gets too hot,

You learn how to control you desire,
your wants and your needs,
and compensate for the others needs,
you try to make it all alright,
but the flame just burns brighter,
the flame burns even hotter,

You want to try and give it up,
but you know you can't give it up,
because this is what you truely want,
what you truely need,
you need this to strive in life,

stedy 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 22:41:16
#236 ]

@ChrisH

As you may or may not be aware, I am involved with Troika. For all my sins, I specify and design the systems. I am also the President of the company, a young company with ambitions.

I will now answer the points you raised.

1) No show at two Amiga shows. The first was an incorrect announcement toward the end of 2005 about the board being ready. I'm surprised no-one heard me scream when that announcement was made.

The no show at BB4 was in part due to us being screwed over by a contractor who took my schematic design and PCB layout for Amy05 and worked on it. We were told all was well, PCB had been built and assembled , that testing was going Ok and it will be ready in 2 more weeks . 3 Months passed, no information. Asked for pictures, evidence of testing, nothing. To this day we have never seen any pictures or evidence of this board.

Four weeks before BB4 I'm working frantically to get a PCB routed to show at BB4. I pushed the deadline too far and we left it a little late in shipping and did not have enough time for the unit to clear customs, it took 10 days!

A design error in the board hampered debugging, I made a stupid error on the serial debug port which required a few wire links.

2) Shipments to Hyperion.

The Panda platform was being handled by a partner at the time. For reasons unknown to me, it did not get shipped to Hyperion. It was also an expensive board, cost about $2000.

An Amy05 board was not shipped due to the update work I was doing at the time.

September 2006 the lawsuit between Hyperion and Amiga Inc started and OS4 licences were not available.

We took the downtime to look at Amy05, it was expensive, the 10 layer board for the prototype was very pricy. There were a few bugs in the design that required a new PCB. Could we achieve a lower cost system?

Early 2007 we started looking at the PowerQUICC II platform, specifically the MPC8349. It provided a good development system. Amy05 was shelved for now.

The Athena system as I codenamed it, was good for U-boot work and evaluation of the platform. I have customised the PCB for our needs but for initial work we used the Freescale evaluation board.

The final PCB design, which you have not seen photos of, has a different component fit and adds crucial features like additional I/O ports.

In parallel with my work on Athena, I have been looking at cost effective higher performance system, codenamed Hercules. All systems are codenamed after Greek/Roman gods as there no copyright issues associated.

The Hercules design is centred around an E500 core PowerPC running at a minimum of 1 GHz. The fastest PowerPC processors commercially available at the moment are 1.5 GHz from Freescale. The E600 core family of processors are no longer being developed. All new releases will be E500 based, most notably the QorIQ family of multi-core parts.

The aforementioned paragraph is a statement of design aims and of the PowerPC market direction as I see it. Please to not read it to be a future product specification. The specification of any future products will be announced at the appropriate time.

At this time the Hercules platform is in early development, i.e. schematics are in progress. The Athena platform is nearer to release for use as a development platform as it has a tracked PCB.

Yes our PR has been poor to date.
After the debacle around BB4/Amy05 no show we learnt a painful lesson.
Whilst progress has been a little slower than I would have liked, we decided to keep a low profile.
The website needs an update.

This poll was created to see what demand there was and also user opinion on an additional OS4 capable board. The results and feedback to date have been beneficial to us.

I hope this post goes some way to explaining the events of the last few years.

PR 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 23:09:07
#237 ]

Everybody can talk and talk over and over again but where is the action?
Here we did something and it's done, not just said like Petro did when visiting here...

Amiga "two" installed and Led lamps to a Corvette, allright!;)

Antique 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 23:10:25
#238 ]
Cult Member

@stedy

The hercules board at 1,5ghz would be very welcome i think. From what i've heard from XE users i think they would buy new hw if its faster than the G4,much due to the flaws of the A1.

tonyw 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 23:19:14
#239 ]
Elite Member

@stedy

I'm with Antique on this one. Thanks for your candid remarks, I hope it works out for you.

I wasn't aware that 1.5 GHz was the best you could get, but, if so, then I'm certainly interested in a higher-than-A1 speed machine. My A1 is currently 1 GHz.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Yo 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 23:24:06
#240 ]
Team Member

@stedy

Thank you, stedy, for a very well thought out and considered reply to the issues brought up on this thread.

I eagerly await the update information from Troika for the h/w thread.

Kind regards, Yo

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle