Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 52 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 Gunnar:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  35 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 eliyahu:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Marcian:  4 hrs 26 mins ago
 michalsc:  4 hrs 26 mins ago
 vox:  5 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ???
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
PosterThread
SHADES 
Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ???
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:18:09
#561 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@eXec

Quote:

eXec wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Same thing as by the consumer electronics. Why to mass produce 1080p TV`s
when first you can do the 720p ones and latter put a new standard and replace
720 with 1080 ones... In the meanwhile you are getting 2x the money... Got it?
Same stuff, different package...

You obviously don't understand economies of scale, ROI, or the fact that the creators of HD electronics are in an entirely different league when it comes to funding, cash on hand, available credit, manpower, etc.

Your occasional outbusts with stuff like "yes the dead platform , it must go, we must move on and we will!!" aren't going to actually get anything done in the real world.

As to your comment, 720p is as high as most broadcasts in the U.S. are going to be for years. And the 720p TVs will still work even if they decide to do 1080 broadcasts. And most regular folks will not just run out to buy again. The delaying of the HD cutover in the U.S. shows that. And 1080 HD's core technology is the same. Its hardly a major shift to make a 1080 TV after you made 720 ones.

I think it was almost a very good point even if worded a little twisted because those consumer electronics are what was used to design/create SAM in the first place in a market that already has many similar base products. It's also too expensive and restrictive for most and then to buy AOS on top makes it seem not very attractive when perfectly capable h/w is ready to be utilised at far more affordable prices.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:21:20
#562 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@eniacfoa

Quote:

eniacfoa wrote:
@fairlanefastback

if you think a thread that is based on AOS going x86 to only involve hyperion you are in la la land, especially after 20 odd pages of debate...secondly until the actual thread police tell me im out of line, I will continue to my hearts content as I do not believe I'm out of line.

Regardless, Amiga Inc. is not listening. And the last OS for desktop they claimed was to be for PPC ACK hardware. Hyperion said no, and even if they said yes it would be unlikely they'd be able to fund the effort. And you guys don't want AROS. You are ####ing in the wind. Everyone knows it would be great to be on x86. What of it? I'd like to be rich as well. Saying that over and over in a forum is not going to make that happen.

Quote:
my point is that amiga will die if it does not find a way to change course. as shades has said, SAM shrank the userbase, it didnt expand it.

Amiga is already dead as any type of mainstream platform. Thats already occured. It happened years ago. Its now a hobby OS, that can luckily fulfill some daily computing tasks.

SAM expanded that hobby userbase. You can say in a way that hurts its x86 potential future. But since that future is just about nil anyway we can hardly blame enthusiasts of the hobby for indulging themselves with the purchase. To them its something. And they, for the most part are likely not under any illusions about the x86 future that would take a miracle to occur.

Just HOW has SAM expanded the userbase????? where are those stats that saw AMIGA user numbers increasing to enough numbers to even cover development costs? What, did those numbers help re-coup costs for the OS even, forget the H/W.

Your thinking may be that it expanded the userbase i.e. there is H/W but that's not the case if people are not able to afford it and don't see any benifit to buying it!

I'd love to see those stats fairlane. I'd love a reality check right there thank you.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:23:43
#563 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@eniacfoa

Quote:

eniacfoa wrote:
@fairlanefastback

it'd strike my fancy more than SAM, thats for sure...enough to pay for the OS as an amiga user.

Ok so I take this to mean you aren't actually a Hyperion or Amiga customer yet. And you are only interested in a product that one said they are not going to bring to market and the other does not seem interested in (and even if they were, their track record sucks).

Quote:
Mcewen cant live forever...he's a bit fat too isnt he? keep eating those donuts mcewen...take up smoking while your at it ;)

He can live long enough that you'll only get x86 AOS while you are in a nursing home (if ever). Perhaps you should arrange physical protest demonstrations in front of Amiga's headquarters in Washington state if you really want to get his attention. I seriously doubt he is reading what you have to say here.

Well if no one listens, if nothing is done to fix this situation, I guess you can kiss your hobby OS goodbye because those dwindiling users are only going to drive costs up if you keep hanging on to the idea of custom designing H/W platforms that have to comete in a ready world of good fast and cheap H/W

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:25:28
#564 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@eniacfoa

Quote:

eniacfoa wrote:
@fairlanefastback

as an australian, its a bit hard to protest in washington state ;)

Ive paid for classic amiga's and amiga forever. does that make me an amiga customer?

Hire Moderator Moxee to be your local organizer of the protests! (hey one way or another this x86 version is going to cost you!)

It certainly means you'd be a potential customer at first glance. But since your criterion is x86 it takes you out of the running to be one since Hyperion can't afford it and Amiga, Inc. does nothing for Amiga desktop. And the free AROS x86 you reject. I'm sure Hyperion wishes that you could be a customer. But you won't budge off x86 and they can't afford to go there. And Amiga, Inc. is off doing whatever it is they do (which is not Amiga desktop products). And I doubt you want AA2 right?

Great, and the majority here by the looks of things can't afford the current offering given let alone find much use with the sepcs it has. Maybe meet half way? Is there a half way or do we need to wait for WinUAE Mk2 that emulates the newer platform?

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 06:57 AM.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:28:44
#565 ]
Cult Member

@eniacfoa

Quote:

eniacfoa wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@eniacfoa

[quote]
eniacfoa wrote:
@fairlanefastback

as an australian, its a bit hard to protest in washington state ;)

Ive paid for classic amiga's and amiga forever. does that make me an amiga customer?

Hire Moderator Moxee to be your local organizer of the protests!

It certainly means you'd be a potential customer at first glance. But since your criterion is x86 it takes you out of the running to be one since Hyperion can't afford it and Amiga, Inc. does nothing for Amiga desktop. And the free AROS x86 you reject. I'm sure Hyperion wishes that you could be a customer. But you won't budge off x86 and they can't afford to go there. And Amiga, Inc. is off doing whatever it is they do (which is not Amiga desktop products). And I doubt you want AA2 right?

Quote:

I never said I reject AROS. I said from what ive seen AROS is not viewed by most as a true amiga OS.

I have stated in a post months back, if everyone (developers/customers/donators) dropped OS4/MorphOS and got behind AROS we'd all get what we want - a modern next gen amiga computer. It was around then I noticed that people cared about OS4 and AROS could go to hell...

also, my criteria is mainly cost/power based. not necessarily x86.
it just seems that x86 is the only possiblity to make that happen.

AROS is a port of an old standard. I'd love to see the faster more efficient AOS4.1.
At the moment, I run OS3.9 on my PC under WinUAE because it works better than AROS and 3.9 is no where as good as 4.1 which has a much better memory system for starters.
I'd love to see these developments go in to AROS, or at least AROS help AOS4.x get over to the cheaper platform. At least the 2nd one allows for Hyperion to make some money and continue to develop. what was it? 400 thou in potential sales? that's almost worth continuing to OS5 I'd say.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 05:44 AM.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:37:20
#566 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
This is just messing around with useless, perennial x86 threads that have come up for the last 10 years.

Get a SAM and OS4.1, use it, enjoy it, suffer its glitches, develop for it.

We have been crying that there was no hardware and no OS for years, now there is hardware and a new version of the OS (ported to PPC) and we are not happy because we can't run it on cheap and fast hardware, which by the way is not that good anyway...

Amiga x86, unless Hyperion have been working in secret, is not going to happen, never!

Even if it happened who would actually give a flying monkey about it when there is Windows and Linux, two Operating Systems that have been running on x86 for years?

Amiga or AROS have got nothing to offer, why would anyone outside this group of old fanatics bother?

I think we should port AOS to the IBM Power System

*sarcastic tone, yeah, that should make millions of more users flock to AOS.

The whole point is that SAM is too expensive, too slow and custom developed which already TAKES MORE resources and money than a potential port would.

You now have to use consumer electronics and R&D, build, market, sell to cover manufacture costs and then frikkin code the Os to work well with it anyway on an untested base when millions of potential platforms are already out there, built, marketed, available, tested in industry and cheap to buy with a lot more features and speed. Dual channel memory controller, usb, 7.1 sound, 2x nics sata, wifi, etc etc all built in!. No need to try and FIND funds, it's there. Yep, the coding costs have risen to support it, but, the H/W doesn't need to be designed from the ground up and is affordable. Not to mention, there are other "similar" AMIGA type OS's that code could be borrowed from to get those drives working on the x86 base already which would actually CUT DOWN the development time for a port as these parts are working, why not use them.

It can't all be useless, heck everyone said WinUAE couldn't be done in software, it's hardly got a huge userbase itself. It can be done and with help from a community of ready to buy users, you also have an income to pay your developers to do it. Oh, and a H/W base to develop on as well!, @ no cost! or timeframe! it's here!

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:41:18
#567 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
Can those whinging for OS4 on x86 please just switch to AROS & shut up? As much as I'd like to see OS4 on x86, it 'aint gonna happen, even if I stamp my feet really hard, so we have to accept that & make do with what we have. It's call growing up. AROS no good for you? Well tough, but it seems like OS4 is no better for you either.

Can those who want to do the latest Windows/Mac/Linux craze on OS4, like say playing High Def videos, please just get a Windows/Mac/Linux PC & shut up? There is simply no chance for OS4 to (a) get all the applications ported to do all these things, (b) get them ported well enough that they are not slow (it's called optimisation), and (c) does not have the processing power & has never had the processing power to compete with x86.

Can those who want a faster CPU than the Sam440 has, please learn some patience? ACube (and possibly others) are likely working on 1GHz or faster systems, but this takes time & money. Sam440 was a first (or second) step for OS4, but it was not the last.

Can those who think that they know better than Hyperion what they should do, please just buy-out Hyperion? Then you can get them to do what you want. Don't have the money? Gee, that couldn't possibly be the reason Hyperion doesn't do some of the things you think are "obvious" for OS4 to survive? Perhaps you could get a loan from the bank? What, banks won't give loans? Something about a world-wide recession?

Can those who think OS4 can be ported to x86 in 6 weeks (or whatever), please tell Hyperion where they can find a free 68k or PPC JIT emulator for x86 that will easily integrate into OS4's Exec kernel & memory system? If you found one, you are likely wrong. Without such emulation, OS4 on x86 would be an expensive toy, because it'd have no apps or games to speak of. And if you think "UAE is good enough", then you might want to ask why people haven't switch to AROS then. Not to mention that if you're going to use UAE, you might as well use UAE on Windows, and save yourself the trouble.

Can all non-programmers please stop thinking they they know how easy it is to port OS4 to x86? If you've never flown an air plane, you wouldn't tell a pilot how to fly! So why would you suddenly think you're an expert programmer, never mind an expert OS designer?

Sorry if this sounds incredibly in-tolerant, but having come back to AW.net after a break, I am stunned at all the complete stupid arguments going on here. Really, it's enough to make me think of moving to Amigans.net, if it goes on for much longer.

Can we also add
THOSE WHO WANT AOS 4.x ON AN AVAILABLE CHEAP PLATFORM ALTERNATIVE OPENLY VOICE THEIR OPINION HERE FOR DISCUSSION.

Seriously, go read something else if you can't understand what a debate on the title thread is going to mean.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 05:47 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 6:17:28
#568 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

Can all non-programmers please stop thinking they they know how easy it is to port OS4 to x86? If you've never flown an air plane, you wouldn't tell a pilot how to fly! So why would you suddenly think you're an expert programmer, never mind an expert OS designer?

Erm... 911 and Microsoft Flight Simulator...
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Terrorist+train+use+Microsoft+Flight+Simulator+911&meta=

Last edited by Hammer on 26-Mar-2009 at 06:20 AM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:09:16
#569 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

>>sarcastic tone, yeah, that should make millions of more users flock to AOS.
The whole point is that SAM is too expensive, too slow and custom developed which already TAKES MORE resources and money than a potential port would.

Just buy one.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:16:53
#570 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@SHADES

>>sarcastic tone, yeah, that should make millions of more users flock to AOS.

Just buy one.

Did you not read it was too expensive, too slow etc?
I can't justify it, the userbase got smaller by 1 here meaning the cost of new dev also went up by one here.

I can't afford a top gaming rig either. How do you expect me to justify that?

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:17 AM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:28:40
#571 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

>>THOSE WHO WANT AOS 4.x ON AN AVAILABLE CHEAP PLATFORM ALTERNATIVE OPENLY VOICE THEIR OPINION HERE FOR DISCUSSION.

1) Have you got a big truck full of cash?
2) Have you got a licence from Amiga Inc.?

If the answers to the above questions are a "NO" then don't bother replying.

On this site there is very small talk about what we have got available (SAM+OS4.1), how to improve it, what can be done with the available hardware, projects like the ones happening with the Minimig (www.minimig.net) and a lot of talking about Linux, OSX, AROS, MORPHOS, AOS on x86 (something that doesn't even exist) and hypothetical situations.

I find it weird, intentionally irritating and very sad.

Unless you have got something concrete to show us, like a port of Amiga OS to x86, fully functional, with loads of software to play with then I can't see the point of this discussion.
These topics have been discussed for the last 10 years, and still there is no AOS for x86.
the only people who could actually do this are Hyperion and they have said it before that it's not planned.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:31:44
#572 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

>>Did you not read it was too expensive, too slow etc?
I can't justify it, the userbase got smaller by 1 here meaning the cost of new dev also went up by one here.

Then wait until AOS is available on x86...

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:37:42
#573 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@SHADES

>>THOSE WHO WANT AOS 4.x ON AN AVAILABLE CHEAP PLATFORM ALTERNATIVE OPENLY VOICE THEIR OPINION HERE FOR DISCUSSION.

1) Have you got a big truck full of cash?
2) Have you got a licence from Amiga Inc.?

If the answers to the above questions are a "NO" then don't bother replying.

On this site there is very small talk about what we have got available (SAM+OS4.1), how to improve it, what can be done with the available hardware, projects like the ones happening with the Minimig (www.minimig.net) and a lot of talking about Linux, OSX, AROS, MORPHOS, AOS on x86 (something that doesn't even exist) and hypothetical situations.

I find it weird, intentionally irritating and very sad.

Unless you have got something concrete to show us, like a port of Amiga OS to x86, fully functional, with loads of software to play with then I can't see the point of this discussion.
These topics have been discussed for the last 10 years, and still there is no AOS for x86.
the only people who could actually do this are Hyperion and they have said it before that it's not planned.

You can't see the point? How's this for a point.

- The current offering is so bad (reasons already coverd why) that the AMIGA userbase is getting smaller. That if the current direction is contiued, will likely halt all development as there will be too few users to justfiy it.

Do you think hyperion is going to keep developing the OS for only 50 people?
Where is your logic?
Yet you won't "entertain" even the idea for debate of real positive solutions by your fellow interested AMIGA enjoying users.
Just where do you forsee a future with that kind of negative thinking?

The debate is discussed so MAYBE peoples minds are opend up to discuss and debate possible long-term solutiuons thet may or may not have been benched and re-open them because they hold some real merrit to CONTINUING the AMIGA OS in development and with a future, HOBBY OS or not.

Quite frankly i'm supprised you haven't seen the concrete evidence already.
There has been countless discussion here already on how to proceed. It won't be a decision that is made by our smaller and smaller community but perhpas an awakening to those who do have the decision making abilities, will.

It's NOT howerver a negative destructive debate on how to kill the OS better.
Certainly not as destructive to the OS base as suggesting a port to obscure, low user, old IBM Power System hardware like your last comment.

Frankly i'm sadened you see it all as destructive efforts!
The current offerings are not a viable future right now if you read what people are saying with heartfelt pain.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:44:58
#574 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH (Post #539)

Ahhh Crap! I can't believe it, but I totally 100% agree with what you say. Didn't think I'd leave to see the day

COBRA 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 9:34:20
#575 ]

@bernd_afa

Quote:
then its bad program if this is not easy possible.

AOS 3.5 and 3.9 support multiple CPU too, see warpup or powerup
also 68k programs on winuae can support multiple CPU

No, that is incorrect. AmigaOS never did support multiple CPUs. Under 3.x, the PowerUp/WarpOS kernel handled the scheduling of PPC software, while the AmigaOS kernel handled scheduling of 68k programs. Therefore 68k software ran on the 68k processor, and PPC software ran on the PPC processor. That is very different from SMP which is used in multi-core systems today. In SMP the OS is responsible for distributing tasks among the cores, but under AmigaOS you run into problems due tot he fact that applications can directly access the OS structures and each other's memory, rather than running in separate address spaces like on other OS'es (e.g. Windows, Linux, etc.), and then there are the issues caused by applications using Forbid()/Disable(), etc. Nothing is unsolvable, but it's considerable effort to make efficiently working SMP under AmigaOS.

COBRA 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 9:40:03
#576 ]

@eniacfoa

Quote:
as I said before - I have not heard anything to do with any judgement that says Ainc do not own AOS. Until then I will assume its Aincs property. To me it sounds like you guys are assuming AOS is hyperions property.

Anything can happen in the lawsuit, but right now AmigaOS 4 is being developed by Hyperion (as it has always been), and being distributed by ACube (being Hyperion's partner), besides AInc did not even object neither in court nor publically to OS4 having been released on the Sam. Therefore it's silly to assume at this point that it's AInc's property. Besides, do I have to remind you again that the title of this topic is "My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86", and not "My dear AInc, is now the time to go to --> x86".

Last edited by COBRA on 26-Mar-2009 at 09:41 AM.

jingof 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 9:43:41
#577 ]

@COBRA

Quote:
Nothing is unsolvable, but it's considerable effort to make efficiently working SMP under AmigaOS.

Rogue addressed this point directly:

Quote:

Quote:

From Rogue @ http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=22053#forumpost22053
Quote:
Would the kernel be able to handle multi cores?

Yes. We have a pretty good idea on how to achieve that, the only reason it's not in yet is the fact that we lack a multicore platform to test on.

Not discounting the effort involved. But it certainly sounds like the Friedens already have a tentative plan for solving it at least.

(And with the YDL Powerstation, Rogue has that "multicore platform to test on" now.)

Last edited by jingof on 26-Mar-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Fransexy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 9:44:51
#578 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@bernd_afa

Quote:
then its bad program if this is not easy possible.

AOS 3.5 and 3.9 support multiple CPU too, see warpup or powerup
also 68k programs on winuae can support multiple CPU

No, that is incorrect. AmigaOS never did support multiple CPUs. Under 3.x, the PowerUp/WarpOS kernel handled the scheduling of PPC software, while the AmigaOS kernel handled scheduling of 68k programs. Therefore 68k software ran on the 68k processor, and PPC software ran on the PPC processor. That is very different from SMP which is used in multi-core systems today. In SMP the OS is responsible for distributing tasks among the cores, but under AmigaOS you run into problems due tot he fact that applications can directly access the OS structures and each other's memory, rather than running in separate address spaces like on other OS'es (e.g. Windows, Linux, etc.), and then there are the issues caused by applications using Forbid()/Disable(), etc. Nothing is unsolvable, but it's considerable effort to make efficiently working SMP under AmigaOS.

And what about using the extra cores/cpu as co-processors? instead of the OS itself using multiple cores, the apps are the ones that are multicore; Anyway on multicore OS the apps cannot benefit the extra cores if the app itself is not specifically programed to use them.
We had in the past appx.020 - appx.020FPU versions now we can have appx.ppc - appx.multicore

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 9:50:43
#579 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
We will go x86.... perhaps in OS5, but x86 is the only future!

Any by then we won;'t be using AmigaOS any more since OS5 is not AmigaOS at all. And all this arguing will be pointless. OF course with "AmigaOS5" on x86 there will be another complaint. "But it's not AmigaOS." Which will lead me to the conclusion that all the [x86] Amiga people are simply a bunch of whiners and conplainers and aren't happy about any progress. At that point you can all go and throw a tantrum. I won't care. I was happy that the AmigaOne and AmigaOS4 came out at least. When I was expecting nothing. We have at least been able to progress there. And for that I am thankful for all parties involved. Okay 'nuff said.

COBRA 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 9:54:10
#580 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:

And what about using the extra cores/cpu as co-processors? instead of the OS itself using multiple cores, the apps are the ones that are multicore; Anyway on multicore OS the apps cannot benefit the extra cores if the app itself is not specifically programed to use them.
We had in the past appx.020 - appx.020FPU versions now we can have appx.ppc - appx.multicore

There obviously needs to be an enhanced API as well so that applications can themselves make use of the multiple cores, for example even if the OS could distribute tasks among multiple cores, DvPlayer playing an h264 stream would only use one core for video decoding, whereas doing the same on Windows in a media player will be able to make use of both cores.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle