Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  5 mins ago
 Gunnar:  16 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 pixie:  24 mins ago
 Rob:  38 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Global warming Volume 4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
PosterThread
olegil 
Re: Global warming Volume 4
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 11:32:40
#441 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Also, Lanthanum isn't rare.

Originally thought to be about 18ppm of earths crust, now adjusted to 32ppm after some big finds.

Neodymium is thought to be a little less rare, at 38ppm.

Contrast that with gold at 0.011ppm and silver at 0.07ppm. Oh, and tin at 2.2 and lead at 14.
Copper ~50ppm. We've been making silverware, gold chains, tin cutlery, lead pipes and copper roofs for years.

Come on, people. At least try to get your facts straight.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/

The only problem is we haven't started mass exctraction of these two elements yet.
Oh, and China has the biggest reserves of neodymium ore. So politically, it would be better to find a different magnet material. But this can be done, as neodymium isn't the FIRST good magnet, it's just the replacement after Russia decided to squeeze the world over their natural resources back in the day (afair)

Last edited by olegil on 03-Sep-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
NoelFuller 
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 12:25:03
#442 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

Quote:
Electric cars are just as clean as the power station that produces the electricity to charge them

They are a little better than that. I'm all for the elimination of coal fired power stations, and a few others, but if an electric car is being charged by such a station, or better an oil or gas fired station, it can be shown that this is still quite a bit cleaner, and cheaper, than toting round the petrol or diesel in the car to provide the power - not a justification for coal burning of course, just a fact.

Local note:
In NZ at least 70% of the electrical supply is renewable - in my youth 100%. Our status as about the fourth largest carbon emmitter per capita, after USA, Canada, and Australia comes mainly from the increase in intensive dairy farming. Otherwise, like the countries here named, NZ has been built round the car. Auckland isthmus is a place of traffic congestion. I do not have to travel at rush hour anymore and can travel for free (pensioner) on surface mass transport locally - bus, ferry and train, try to walk or sail if I can but yearn all the same for an electric car I will never be able to afford even if available.

Noel

Last edited by NoelFuller on 03-Sep-2009 at 12:40 PM.

NoelFuller 
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 12:32:35
#443 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

Good one! Thanks for the numbers. At the back of my mind is China's recent decision to go for electrically based transport, particularly with cars. China I have gathered, also has the biggest reserves of lithium. Fortunately they have no tradition of long range personal transport so even modestly performing electric vehicles would be easy to introduce within China.

Noel

Last edited by NoelFuller on 03-Sep-2009 at 12:38 PM.

TMTisFree 
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 14:12:44
#444 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
You are afraid of a shortage of rare metals, but are not afraid e.g. of a shortage of food, if more and more cultivable land is swallowed by producing BioFuel?
Biofuel that was promoted by same eco-fascists to replace oil but who reject it now...who are the hypocrites?

Quote:
Electric cars are just as clean as the power station that produces the electricity to charge them.
We have clean and green nuclear power plants here (potential troll inside, do not reply).

Quote:
You are afraid of the land being raped to build electric or hybrid cars - but don't mind the land being raped for "standard" car production, oil production etc.pp.
This is not a problem because crops' production could return immediately to food if needed (read prices are more attractive). A bigger problem is the rampant urbanization which takes off 60.000 ha of very good cultivable surface per year here: these surfaces are definitely lose for food production. Why all these so-called 'green' people always want to live in town and not in countryside? Who are the hypocrites really?

Quote:
You are afraid of a shortage of rare earths, but don't mind the one, unique earth we're all living and depending on being destroyed by the mass application of dirty technologies.
Stop typing, you are right now hypocritically using these 'dirty' technologies...

Bye,
TMTisFree

Interesting 
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 15:22:10
#445 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Dandy

Quote:
Now that's what I call hypocrite!

Personal attacks and avoiding the issues will get no where with me!

Look at my Avatar if you don’t believe me!

Answer my questions with “facts”, not opinions and I will reply to your issues Ok?

olegil 
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 16:22:25
#446 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

I answered you with facts, except I did it in a reply to Dandy. Care to rebut?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

TMTisFree 
Posted on 3-Sep-2009 17:21:27
#447 ]

@NoelFuller

Quote:
I tried, thanks but there is a problem. solved: it's OWB
I run rarely my AOne these days (mostly because it does not want to start), so I only checked the link with Firefox on my WinBox machine before posting.

Bye,
TMTisFree

NoelFuller 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 6:28:23
#448 ]
Cult Member

Hockey stick is back and Michael Mann got nowhere near it

That title was deliberate chosen to stop TMTisFree breathing for a moment :)
It seems that everyone that can drill a hole in the sediment of arctic lakes is doing so now that various isotopes are giving so much accurate info (relative to other proxies) . A team led by University of Northern Arizona Professor Darrell Kaufman has been sampling sediments from 14 Arctic lakes, more are being studied. The summer temperature info goes back 2000 years, and has been matched with other proxies. It shows a steady drop in temperature right up to when we started churning out greenhouse gasses when the temperature climbs higher and more steeply than at any time in the last two thousand years. The Medieval Warm period is clearly indicated but it does not compare with current global warming.

The slow but steady descent in temperature is attributed to the wobble of the earth's axis more usually referred to when people talk of the precession of the equinoxes. (Planet earth is close to the point of furthest tilt away from the sun at present - info from elsewhere). Our GHG generation seems to have torpedoed the normal cooling effect of that process.

Northern Arizona Uni story here: http://www4.nau.edu/insidenau/bumps/2009/9_3_09/arctic.htm
There is a link to further project info.
BBC story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8236797.stm

Noel

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 7:46:00
#449 ]
Elite Member

@TMTisFree

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

What guaratee do you have that the next best thing becomes technologically feasible in time at all?

There is no guarantee of anything in this world.

That's for sure - fully agreed!

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

But do consider the history...and think!

Yeah - I'm doing that.
Just think of the Maya.
Scientists claim the main cause for the decline of the once great Mayan culture was that they ran out of resources:

Temple timbers trace collapse of Mayan culture

Quote:

The "New Scientist" wrote:

THE builders of the ancient Mayan temples at Tikal in Guatemala switched to inferior wood a few decades before they suddenly abandoned the city in the 9th century AD. The shift is the strongest evidence yet that Mayan civilisation collapsed because they ran out of resources, rather than, say, disease or warfare.
Earlier studies of pollen deposits have suggested that deforestation and soil erosion were increasing in the region as Mayan civilisation neared its collapse. But the temple timbers of Tikal are the first to show that ecological overexploitation directly affected Mayan culture.

I bet they desperately waited for something good to come along to improve their situation - but it didn't come and so their culture declined...

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

No one can deny wood/coal/whatever is just inert material if not used by human knowledge: a resource then exists as such only because human chooses it to be so (it is really that simple).

I think we're talking at cross-purposes here.
While you're trying to discuss the meaning of the word "resources", I'm trying to discuss the lack of resources due to human missbehaviour against nature.

If I got you right here, you think that e.g. the substance "coal" gets the attribute "resource" by us humans as we need it.
I think with "exists as such only because human chooses it" you're referring to to attribute "resource" - and not to the existance of the substance "coal" as such (initially I was tempted to read/understand your statement that way that the substance "coal" just exists "because human chooses it" - which would be wrong. The substance "coal" exists - no matter if humans exist or not.).

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Quote:

I think this is a quite dangerous position, as it possibly puts us all on risk.

As also discussed in previous threads, cheap, reliable, non dangerous and almost infinite solutions for energy exist since long.

Could you please be a bit more specific here and name a few of those "almost infinite solutions for energy"?

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Politics have withdrawn them for political reasons (whatever that means): the question is why.

The motivation for that might become clearer once we know what solution(s) you're talking about...

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Quote:

Dandy wrote:

Don't forget Murphy's law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Remember Murphy's law also applies to itself...

You mean if something wrong goes wrong, it becomes something good?
Hmmmmm...

Last edited by Dandy on 04-Sep-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Last edited by Dandy on 04-Sep-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 8:44:11
#450 ]
Elite Member

@TMTisFree

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

From this I take that your claim that (liquid) water is a component of the atmosphere is rebutted.

Not at all, the context was different: I did not care about the state(s) of water because my comment was a general one ("water is a component of atmosphere" because water is present in atmosphere under all its states: that seems not that difficult to acknowledge).

From my POV this boils down to the semantic question "Is a substance that is expelled by a medium part of this medium or not?".

According to my understanding a substance that is repelled by a medium can't be seen as part of the repelling medium - else it would'nt be repelled.

Maybe we're in a sort of disagreement about that because of the language barrier.
The German language is known to be highly precise if applied correctly.
Maybe I'm trying to bring this accuracy of my native tongue across with the English langauge, which either isn't able to differentiate to such a high degree or that I simply misapply it despite all my effort towards proper wording.

So your ability "to read between the lines" to find out what I really mean is highly appreciated.

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Quote:

Hmmmmm - didn't you say something along the lines that you refuse to accept "manipulated data"? "subsequent correction to the satellite data" sonds to me like manipulation...

You say it. Funnily, the "manipulated data" were done by an alarmist team (Wong et al., 2006) to reduce the ditch between real world data (ERBE) and IPCC models' assumptions.

Hmmm - I understood

(page 2)
24 ... Chou and Lindzen [2005] inferred from the
25 interdecadal changes in net radiation at TOA and surface temperature that there was a strong
(page 3)
1 negative feedback. However, this result was internally inconsistent since the persistence of the
2 imbalance over a decade implied a positive feedback. A subsequent correction to the satellite data
3 eliminated much of the decadal variation in the radiative balance [Wong et al., 2006].

that way, that Chou, Lindzen and Wong were in one team and Wong corrected their ERBE data in 2006, after they noticed, that there was too much decadal variation in the radiative balance.

By the way - what does this "et al." mean?

Please keep in mind that I'm not really used to think in "camps" in this regard - so I do not know whom you consider to be in which "camp"...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 9:39:25
#451 ]
Elite Member

@NoelFuller

Quote:

NoelFuller wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

Electric cars are just as clean as the power station that produces the electricity to charge them

They are a little better than that.

Yepp - some seem to think electric cars are green by all means - my statement was just meant as an reminder that electric cars are just as clean as the power station that produces the electricity to charge them.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 10:42:04
#452 ]
Elite Member

@TMTisFree

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

You are afraid of a shortage of rare metals, but are not afraid e.g. of a shortage of food, if more and more cultivable land is swallowed by producing BioFuel?

Biofuel that was promoted by same eco-fascists to replace oil but who reject it now...who are the hypocrites?

So you say having learned a lesson and subsequently having adapted the own way of thinking to the latest knowledge is hypocracy?

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Quote:
Electric cars are just as clean as the power station that produces the electricity to charge them.

We have clean and green nuclear power plants here (potential troll inside, do not reply).

Yes, of course - like they have/had in Chernobyl, Harrisburg or Sellafield (just to name a few - could not resist)...

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Quote:

You are afraid of the land being raped to build electric or hybrid cars - but don't mind the land being raped for "standard" car production, oil production etc.pp.

This is not a problem because crops' production could return immediately to food if needed (read prices are more attractive).

Yes - as we all saw last year: Haiti: Mud cakes become staple diet as cost of food soars beyond a family's reach

and
why your food is so expensive:

Quote:

Another reason prices are high is because of the boom in 'biofuels'. In 2006, the American government spent $12billion (£6billion) to turn maize into ethanol, which was mixed with petrol and sold as 'flexible fuel'.
This made farmers think they'd be better off growing maize rather than wheat. So the supply of wheat was cut and the price rose.

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

A bigger problem is the rampant urbanization which takes off 60.000 ha of very good cultivable surface per year here: these surfaces are definitely lose for food production.

Agreed so far, although I'd use a slightly different wording: "Annother problem is the rampant urbanization ..."

[ironic mode]
But why should those surfaces definitely be lost for food production?
Just tear down the cities and revegetate these areas...
[/ironic mode]

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Why all these so-called 'green' people always want to live in town and not in countryside? Who are the hypocrites really?

I can only speak for myself here: I moved 70km to the east from Cologne to the rural Waldböl 20 years ago and was unemployed for 8 years. When I finally found work it was in Cologne. So I ended up having an small appartement in Cologne today (where I live during the week when I have to work) and a house in Waldbröl, where my family lives (and I on a fortnightly basis)...

So I don't want to live in the town - I have to (or else I had to commute everyday, with costs roughly equal to the costs of my appartement, but more time consuming and more nerve wrecking, not to mention the risk of having an accident) - after all I have to earn a living.
I don't think this falls into the category of hypocracy.

Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

Quote:

You are afraid of a shortage of rare earths, but don't mind the one, unique earth we're all living and depending on being destroyed by the mass application of dirty technologies.

Stop typing, you are right now hypocritically using these 'dirty' technologies...

Typing on a keyboard is a "dirty technology"?

Yes - surprise, surprise - you're right - I just noticed my keyboard urgently needs cleaning (all those crumbs and tea spots...)

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 10:59:10
#453 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
@Dandy

Look at my Avatar if you don’t believe me!

Yes, I do - and I'm shivering by fear!

Quote:

Interesting wrote:

Answer my questions with “facts”, not opinions and I will reply to your issues Ok?

1) Care to explain which questions you're talking of?

2) I prefer to use facts instead of so called "facts" that you used.

3) BTW - no reply expected from my end...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 11:07:43
#454 ]
Elite Member

@NoelFuller

Quote:

NoelFuller wrote:

It seems that everyone that can drill a hole in the sediment of arctic lakes

You mean antarctic lakes, don't you?
(As there is no land below the ice at the north pole to carry lakes - just the artic ocean)

Dandy

BrianK 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 11:39:10
#455 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
Yeah - I'm doing that.
Just think of the Maya.
Scientists claim the main cause for the decline of the once great Mayan culture was that they ran out of resources:
I think history shows us even more. When people run out of resources it results in deaths within that nation. Also, it results in turning the plowshares intos swords.

Quote:
If I got you right here, you think that e.g. the substance "coal" gets the attribute "resource" by us humans as we need it.
The substance "coal" exists - no matter if humans exist or not.).
You're exactly right on this one. Materials exist in the universe whether or not humans exist in the universe.

Quote:
Could you please be a bit more specific here and name a few of those "almost infinite solutions for energy"?
One's that come to mind are geothermal, wind, solar, and wave energy. All which also reduce CO2 production.

BrianK 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 11:41:59
#456 ]
Elite Member

@NoelFuller

Quote:
Hockey stick is back and Michael Mann got nowhere near it

That title was deliberate chosen to stop TMTisFree breathing for a moment :)
The sad part is the 'hockey stick' hasn't been a hockey stick for a long time. Mann has updated the graph as scientists have learned more about other periods in history. For example the missing hump of WMP exists. Yet anti-GWers continue to falsely claim it does not.

Interesting 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 13:21:50
#457 ]

@olegil

Quote:
I answered you with facts, except I did it in a reply to Dandy. Care to rebut?

I won’t rebut that the minerals “might” be in abundance. The article was posted and has yet to be disputed. Abundance in the ground doesn’t mean shortages can’t be created or just happen.

This second news item adds to this point……
China tries to calm unease over rare earths curbs

Quote:
China produces nearly all the rare earths used in batteries for hybrid cars, mobile phones, superconductors, lightweight magnets and other high-tech products. Reports of a plan to reduce exports sparked concern about the impact on industry abroad.

Beijing will encourage sales of finished rare earths products but will limit exports of semi-finished goods, said Wang Caifeng, deputy director-general of the materials department of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.

Exports of raw ores already is banned, and said that will continue, Wang said at an industry conference.

Addressing the “abundance issue” …….
Quote:
China accounts for 95 percent of global production and about 60 percent of consumption of rare earths, which include such metals as dysprosium, terbium, thulium, lutetium and yttrium, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The United States supplied nearly all its rare earths needs from its own mines as recently as 1990, according to the USGS. But it says output plunged after the market was flooded with low-cost ore from China, which has lower labor costs and less-stringent environmental controls.

With agressive environmental actions growing within the US, IMHO those mines will not be opened up

end of part 1 of this issue.

Interesting 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 13:28:50
#458 ]

@Dandy

Quote:

You will get no hand holding from me, just read the "news item"

Quote:
2) I prefer to use facts instead of so called "facts" that you used.

you don't even know what we are talking about!

Quote:
3) BTW - no reply expected from my end...

then how can we take you seriously?

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 14:11:18
#459 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

You will get no hand holding from me, ...

I didn't wanna hold your hand - I just tried to make you re-read your own post (#431) where I replied to (you had your chance ), as there wasn't a single question included - so...

Quote:

Interesting wrote:

you don't even know what we are talking about!

...obviously YOU don't even know what YOU are talking about.
q.e.d.

Quote:

Interesting wrote:

then how can we take you seriously?

Given your yaddayadda above, you should step in front of a mirror and direct this question to your mirror image...

EDIT:
Posting number and smiley added...

Last edited by Dandy on 04-Sep-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Last edited by Dandy on 04-Sep-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Last edited by Dandy on 04-Sep-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Sep-2009 14:53:29
#460 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

One's that come to mind are geothermal, wind, solar, and wave energy. All which also reduce CO2 production.

Yeah - but TMTisfree claimed "Politics have withdrawn them for political reasons...", which simply is not true for the technologies you mentioned - at least not here in Germany.
Here those technologies are supported and aided by our government - and as TMT is from our neighbour country France and most likely knows that, he must have meant something else...

Last edited by Dandy on 04-Sep-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Dandy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle