Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  5 mins ago
 Gunnar:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  21 mins ago
 zipper:  56 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 16:33:57
#101 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Ok, thats one opinion. But even if you are right, are you saying that someone can't validly say the same things merely from looking at the current state of AA2 rationally?

Someone? Yes. Pleng? I don´t think so...

He started this thread only to bash A.Inc. Have you even read his posts in the linked threads? Sure, we all can say many bitter words about A.Inc and its management, but his stance seemed to me to be very emotional and his intentions not so pure.

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 16:43:48
#102 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:
He started this thread only to bash A.Inc.

The thread informs us of the reaction of the open Pandora community to AA2. So I'm far from convinced that he only did this to bash A. Inc.

Quote:
Have you even read his posts in the linked threads?

Yes. Many others there reacted negatively as well, and its not an Amiga related site, so I take it not all of them are Amiga community members.

Quote:
Sure, we all can say many bitter words about A.Inc and its management

Yep.

Quote:
but his stance seemed to me to be very emotional and his intentions not so pure.

I don't read him as very emotional.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Jul-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Amiga 1200

pavlor 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 18:11:53
#103 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Good, then our points of view are completly different
It is one of the most wonderful things about our community - plurality of opinions. One is Red, one Black and another Blue (and me White). We all have passion for our hobby: Amiga (and somebody of us also for A.Inc - in negative or positive sense...).

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 18:40:31
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Arko Quote:
There is nothing AA2 could do, that could not be done by Java on a smartphone.

Never say "never" . AA2 will definitely run faster than Java (since AA2 is native executable compiled from C), while AA2 *may* (or may not) be nicer to develop in.

Arko 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 20:30:44
#105 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Arko Quote:
There is nothing AA2 could do, that could not be done by Java on a smartphone.

Never say "never" . AA2 will definitely run faster than Java (since AA2 is native executable compiled from C), while AA2 *may* (or may not) be nicer to develop in.

So AA3 has no virtual CPU anymore ? No 'compiled once run anywhere' everything that should be the main reason for develping on AmigaDEs ?

CU

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

vox 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 20:59:20
#106 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

I can agree that idea was good,
but if I can remember well, 2001 promises were:
- Develop PPC Amiga OS 4
- Develop AmigAnywhere AND include it in AmigaOS
- Develop AmigaOS5 to be "the both" or similar

All 3 stories falied. Even OS4 was promised to run on variety of devices,
while AA and OS5 were said to be universal from scratch, yet
AA applications remind me of C-64 times and there is no confirmed
machine running even OS5 early beta ...

So, we will see what does the future holds. Not to mention promised hardware
as Amiga Inc web site still states:
http://www.amiga.com/news/index.php?art=26
http://www.amiga.com/news/index.php?art=27

AmigaOne is silently discontinued, as well as Pegasos ...

Contrary to that Hyperion delivered most of promised (where are SIn and Gorky park
as well as all other games for OS4?)
As well as Acube is the only distrubutor and production company of AmigaOS hardware/OS now ...

Darth_X 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 20:59:28
#107 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
One is Red, one Black and another Blue (and me White).

Why are you white?

pavlor 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 21:59:40
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

It is explained here:
AW thread about colours for new type of troll (post 37)

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 22:50:06
#109 ]
Elite Member

@Arko Quote:
So AA3 has no virtual CPU anymore ?

I find it kind of sad that a lot of people (not just you) are arguing against AA2 without even knowing anything about it.

I'm not keen on Amiga Inc (and don't trust Bill McEwan) either, but I think you should evaluate things on their own merit, not on where they came from or what things before it were like. If you can't be bothered to find out whether it has any merit or not, that's fine (I can't be bothered to either). But maybe linnar or someone will be able to enlighten us if they are given a chance, rather than getting jumped for mentioning AA2.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 1:08:19
#110 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Arko Quote:

I find it kind of sad that a lot of people (not just you) are arguing against AA2 without even knowing anything about it.

I'm not keen on Amiga Inc (and don't trust Bill McEwan) either, but I think you should evaluate things on their own merit, not on where they came from or what things before it were like. If you can't be bothered to find out whether it has any merit or not, that's fine (I can't be bothered to either). But maybe linnar or someone will be able to enlighten us if they are given a chance, rather than getting jumped for mentioning AA2.

How is linnar not being given a chance?

As a consumer what I know is this (based on my recollection).

It got announced at Digital Experience in 01/2008.

It only supported a couple of operating systems, with supposed plans to support others.

The demo in the two videos I saw was not impressive at all.

There was some discussions here that it was actually at least something real. Far from complete, but real. This provided a glimmer of hope to some of us. A stand-out in this conversation was ghauber, a beta tester of the platform who was a contracted partner with Amiga.

ghauber hoped to have an app done in about a month. That never occured to my knowledge, not then or since.

Elysian Labs, another firm showing support for AA2 on their website, again I believe has not been able to get an app out on the platform yet either.

(The above two statements are not intended as anything against either of these people/firms).

Digital Experience 2009 came and went, no updates from Amiga, Inc.

Amiga has released tip calc and snowmanmaker. Not sure if they are aa2, but they are not for many operating systems.

One AA2 developer (or someone who claims to be one) said they are owed money.

So, I've watched videos of Amiga, Inc. directly promoting the product, conversed with a contracted developer and other programmers, kept my ears open for any other updates in the 1.5 years since they first showed it. And now linnar, someone with the platform confirms it still does not support these extra operating systems in July 2009.

Beyond that even when it might, if ever, its doubtful that many developers will use it since the 60/40 profit split was also mentioned by linnar.

The only thing left I can do is sign then NDA to get it myself, but since I am not a programmer I would not even know what I was looking at.

So I'm not sure its fair to say people have not gotten themselves in the know as fairly as they can.

And linnar has all the chance in the world to enlighten us with more details here if he so chooses.

Amiga 1200

linnar 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 5:24:48
#111 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

My version is the first downloadable. If it changed since then, I do not know.

I do not remember how the division of profits is. But Amiga Inc's share included marketing and other costs in connection with the sale.

I will take my chance and show as much as possible of Aa2 without violating copyrights. If we are to conclude business with Amiga Inc, so you get fit to break the law counterattack when describing Aa2.

Now I sound like McEwen, I have not had the time to everything I promised my customers. They start getting a little sour now. I have developed a measuring instrument for the speaker and promised that I should also develop a measurement microphones for .... 2 years ago ... The reason for my delay is that I jumped between the programming and practical work with electronics design. There was too little of everything. However, for some time, I have focused on one thing: Programming, because I shall be finished with my programming projects (the customers whine the most). OK, that's the most money to get there too.
This was an idiot apology that I did not had time to knock up program to test the Aa2 or that I had not had time to show the pictures here. I now have the holiday and not going anywhere so now I will try to get this (note that I write "try").
A clarification:
I have nothing with Amiga Inc to do in any way and know as little about what happens as everyone else!

linnar 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 5:42:20
#112 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
@linnar
Most people (here & on Pandora forum) seem to want to see actual real apps written using AA2, rather than relying on your evaluation of it. Which I think is fair enough.

What you wrote about the chicken and the egg is true, in my view also. But Amiga Inc has apparently moved all available force to another (OS5?). Therefore, I believe them do not have time supporting Aa2 right now. I can not find anymore the link where to download Aa2 either. We have simply withdrawn the project temporarily. I have not had time to test program Aa2 yet but I have test compiled one of the example programs that come with. I tested to compile the two os that it works for my version of Aa2. It worked fine, the code is very lean in order to cope with so much in the graphics and calculations. I would like to show the program but then it will soon appear anywhere on the Internet and I would certainly not be the author. I will be linking to pictures of the test, Aa2 manual and some sample code. Longer than that I dare not go. Had I had time I would take up its own program and set free. It would demonstrate what can be done with Aa2..

Quote:
Perhaps if we didn't need to sign an SDA (or NDA?) for the AA2 SDK, then people could evaluate it themselves.

I do not think the link is left.

Last edited by linnar on 03-Jul-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Last edited by linnar on 03-Jul-2009 at 05:43 AM.

linnar 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 5:58:41
#113 ]
Cult Member

@Arkox

Quote:
No developer could ever work with an announced compiler.
AFAIK the system was never announced for AOS4.

The first paragraph, I do not understand.
It has announced that it will indirectly for OS4 when it said that it will come to all OS where there is a desire for this. Unfortunately, the requests here on the forum that you do not want to see Aa2 to OS4. At the same time, you are very curious about what it is. So being cut the branch you sit on this Forum: What came first, users exclusionary of Aa2 or Amiga Inc nonexistent work to port to OS4?
Quote:

I see no reason why a plan, that already failed with AmigaDE, will work today.

Amiga Inc. could not even show a demo running on Linux, developers should ignore it. Developers could earn money with already available systems, there is no reason to wait for AA2.

OK! I agree!
There is no reason to buy a flat TV or cars that are under development now. The existing is good enough. Furthermore, car manufacturers so uninterested that they did not even show the new models before they are released. I would first test-drive a new model before I can trust that they develop a new one. Until then, I do not think they do anything!

Arko 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:04:02
#114 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Arko Quote:

Look, as a system with virtual CPU there was at least a smalll chance to sell it. As a system of APIs there is no chance of selling, it. Other APIs are free, well proven and available for different platform.

And a system that is called AA2, should have at least some compatibility with AA1 and share some of of its concepts.

At first there was an Amiga, than there was TAO/ELATE sold as AmigaDE renamed to AmigaAnywhere, Then they switched to AmigaAnywhere2 ... sory there is no reason to trust this company and its ideas. AA2 is doomed from the start.

Last edited by Arko on 03-Jul-2009 at 07:09 AM.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Rogue 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:13:17
#115 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@linnar

Quote:
But I can note that it actually gave a huge amount of publicity about all the Amiga, even OS4.

Ugh, thank you. I prefer that AmigaOS 4.x gets publicity by achievements rather than through being bashed by Apple supporters. Geez.

linnar 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:15:44
#116 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:
Of course I'm not waiting. I can start developing iPhone apps just by downloading a simple SDK right now. I can also develop Android Apps right now.

Good, then you can come back when it is clearly and describe how the SDK is!

Quote:
I'm not waiting for anything from one guy that keeps spreading lies, have a record of not paying employes, have such restrictive SDA, and so on...

Standard Phrase 1A.

Quote:
Sure Apple's software agreement isn't the best. But Apple sold 13 millions iphone (and I'm not talking about ipod touch I can target as well).

Are there so many? I who can not even be friends with one. Does not that look like a pear when I carry it in your pocket.

Quote:
How many devices (currently in use) are running AA2 ?

How many Aa2 used to prodducera program today, I do not know. What I certainly know is that I have a Aa2 and no iPhone.

Quote:
I was just trying to understand how this guy can still fool some people...

You may be gullible? Do not try to understand, it can be a heavy job.

Arko 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:16:53
#117 ]

@linnar
Quote:

Quote:

No developer could ever work with an announced compiler.

The first paragraph, I do not understand.

. No developer could ever work with an announced compiler it must be a real compiler..

linnar 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:20:56
#118 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
#ifnfdef C64
#define C64

#ifnfdef ZXSpectrum
#define ZXSpectrum

Now this thread officialy supports C64 and ZXSpectrum ...

You have little sense of humor! So funny, I do not think it was that I put in a lot of ridiculous laughter guys who else is doing. But the guys are of course very young ...

Rogue 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:37:32
#119 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@pavlor

Quote:
2) AA2 applications can use (scale on) different displays from QVGA PDAs to high quality LCDs.

I never really get this type of argument.
(To go ahead, if anybody thinks I am bashing AA2 here, no I am not. I don't even know it or have any incentive to get to know it. I am arguing against the scalability argument).

Scalability is all nice and well if the usage profiles are the same. But they rarely are. A PDA is used with a stylus, no mouse, and no keyboard. A console is used with a controller and no mouse and keyboard. A PC is used with a mouse and keyboard, and maybe a controller.

Intermixing these will rarely ever work. Juts look at the average console title being converted to PC's. "Rainbow Six Vegas" is a good example, the controls are aimed at console controllers, and hence on the PC doesn't make sense at all - you frequently end up opening a door instead of telling your teammates to stack up on it because the individual controls are overloaded with functions, out of necessity (controllers have a lot less buttons than keyboards).

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is another example for a bad user interface on the PC that was inherited from the consoles. Luckily, Bethesda has learned the lesson in Fallout 3.

I could go on about examples like this - so I will.

Assassin's Creed suffers from similar issues. As does Bioshock. As does Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Tomb Raider series. And that's only those games that I have actually played.

Now, scalability of display. You basically have the following options:
- Use a different user interface depending on size.
- Simply up- or downscale the display
- use scalable graphics
- hide or show different user interface elements depending on size.
- make everything scroll

Neither of these will work very well. A PDA typically has a portrait type display, emphasizing the vertical, while the typical PC these days has a widescreen TFT display with, say, 1920x1080 pixels. If you display a PDA's screen on that, you either need a magnifier, or individual pixels will be as big as letters in this message. Either way, it doesn't work, since the aspect ratios are different as well (Heroes of Might and Magic V doesn't work on my widescreen TFT since it cannot cope with a 19:9 aspect ratio).

The bottom line of it is that I do not believe that any platform-independent system can free you from the task of writing separate code for each and every type of appliance/platform. The usage profiles are way too different, and if you try to make this an automatic process, chances are you will settle for the lowest common denominator rather than exploit the capabilities of these platforms.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on the topic.

linnar 
Posted on 3-Jul-2009 6:39:01
#120 ]
Cult Member

@billt

Quote:
Sounds like WxWidgets, QT, GTK, SDL, Java, etc. Which are all already popular, widely used, and already work on a lot of operating systems/devices.

Some here have asked, which all devices and OSes does AA2 ALREADY run on. Not theoretically, or possibly, but already done, complete, and being used?

To get supported, one must show that something like AA2 has something that makes it better than the others. How is AA2 better than SDL? How is AA2 better than WxWidgets?

Does AA2 have some special new features that is important for new games or applications, which other libraries do not have?

Does AA2 run on some new special device hardware that no other libraries do, whihc will be huge market and developers must be on it without waiting for sdl or wxwidgets or...?

Does AA2 run on some special OS that no other libraries do, which will be huge market and developers must be on it without waiting for sdl or wxwidgets or...?

Developers get comfortable with their environment and tools, and to leave that comfort and good use, there must be a very good reason to do so. They won't support yet another library just because it's there, they must feel an important reason to do so. Why change to AA2 when I've done very good with SDL? Why change to AA2 when I've done very good with WxWidgets?

Some of us think that Amiga Inc. hoped that we Amiga fanatics would see the name "Amiga" as the important reason to change and use AA2 instead of something else, without other reason. That's not going to go very far, and it's not going to be important at all to other developers. What good reasons are there to change from other very good libraries and use AA2 instead?

Good questions, very good questions. Exactly so imagine a prof developers question!

The answer is not as easy as it is personal to what you think. I do believe that java is bad, it's too slow, too much high-level osv.WxWidgets, I have never tried the SDL is as interesting as a gray stone. TAO Intent was HEAVY to work with the Amiga version was arisen.
I programmed in pure "C" AA2 therefore fits me good and very good if I can use the library of my own favorite compiler.
I like the "C" because it is close to the hardware while it is a little high-level of syntax, the "C" is also very fast. None of the tools you mention in the vicinity of this but it makes AA2 because it is based on "C". I have my own 'C' library of about 800 functions (http://www.kensonpro.com/coverprogrammering/index.htm). Not even AA2 beats this. My functions are delivered with source code entirely open, too. I do in order to adapt to other OS if you want.

The answer to your questions is that I like AA2 from what I seen. The idea is super feature is great and the manual is better than mine (makes you what good AA2 manual is that?)

Quote:
How many of them actually work? Not plans for future, not wishful thinking, but how many actually work, right now?

I have no idea!
But I can guess at 10-20 people after the contacts I had.

Last edited by linnar on 03-Jul-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Last edited by linnar on 03-Jul-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle