Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigang:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 27 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 51 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 18:14:35
#61 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Technology is nice, marketing skills of Amiga.Inc are ... we all know.

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 18:15:11
#62 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Quote:
There is also a rarity that a journalist takes a stand against something, and openly show their contempt.

I guess you don't read many articles about stuff like Duke Nukem Forever, or Cherrypal, or Envizions, or Sony's handling of Betamax and/or PS3? (Just a few off the top of my head). Wired magazine has had a vaporware awards where they do just that for 11 years now.

http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/news/2008/12/YE8_vaporware

Quote:
Would this be startling in any way? I have been in dozens of offices that would fit this description.

Considering how they said they were "the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies." And they said they were going to be bringing hundreds of jobs to Kent in relatively short order at the time, and that they seemed to have lead the mayor to believe they would turn Kent into a "technology hub". Yeah, given that it is startling.

Quote:
It may also be possible to Amiga Inc used in two ways, firstly as a shop window in any commercial document as well as Bill McEwen really want to achieve.

Thats a big part of the problem, what is it that they really want to achieve? It does not seem to be anything the community cares about.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jul-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 18:18:03
#63 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Technology is nice, marketing skills of Amiga.Inc are ... we all know.

Nice in concept on paper based on marketing and nice in execution and reality are two entirely different things. One is meaningful, the other is not so much.

You suppose Pleng must hate Amiga. But he is just dealing in reality it seems IMHO. Its a painful reality to some, but such is life.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jul-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Amiga 1200

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 18:27:15
#64 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
You suppose Pleng must hate Amiga. But he is just dealing in reality it seems IMHO

He quoted links to some threads and he shows openly his emotions in them, thus I think he hates Amiga.Inc.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 18:40:52
#65 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:
You suppose Pleng must hate Amiga. But he is just dealing in reality it seems IMHO

He quoted links to some threads and he shows openly his emotions in them, thus I think he hates Amiga.Inc.

Are you sure its him acting on emotion and not you? He's asked you to reply on the merits of the technology. You have not done so.

Amiga 1200

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 19:20:52
#66 ]

@fairlanefastback

I can't believe there are sheeple who are still the least bit faithful to that incorporated shill of a shell which is likely a sham. I suppose it is alright to admire the technology they were trying to push the same way one can admire the Tiger Tank and Me-262 that was produced by the Nazis in an attempt which ultimately failed to defend their straight up racist regime.

If Amiga.inc's basically fraudulent PR came from a third party I would be able to sympathize they were ignorant in who they were dealing with or just didn't keep a close enough eye. But the fact that all this so called info came straight from McEwen or those directly associated with A.inc speaks volumes about the reputability of the business and sadly the AA2 code which their bad licensing taints.

There is a reason Amiga.inc for all its years in operation has never even attempted to apply for symbol on any major stock market and applying for their bulletin board. If they did the SEC or any foreign equivalent would be down on them like a ton of bricks.

linnar 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 19:33:37
#67 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:

Pleng has a point. What AA2 app illustrates it being a nice technology? It never came out for some of the operating systems they said it would for. Which as a middleware solution whose goal is to be on almost any OS with a single source code totally defeats the purpose if its not out for many operating systems. And the few folks who said they would make apps, most of them never did, and one who did said he has not gotten paid. AA2 has as no visible movement since Digital Experience in early 2008. And no one ever came up with good answers as to why they should use it instead of other already available technologies.

AA2 is still in beta stage. It is too early to draw any conclusions based on facts or constructing wishful thinking. If Amiga Inc missed to pay to someone is not charged to the technology behind AA2.

I tested AA2 and many other similar systems. AA2 ae the hiten until smartest to rapidly encode a program and extremely fast compile to different systems.

EDIT:
Has editing much because I had no order on quota-XXXX

MODE NOTE: Please, no cursing, please do not try to get around the profanity filter.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 07-Jul-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:36 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 19:44:29
#68 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Are you sure its him acting on emotion and not you?

I assure you I don´t post on these forums with emotions...

Quote:
He's asked you to reply on the merits of the technology. You have not done so.

My fault. I started my (next to the) last post before Pleng asked, but I sended it after Pleng´s post.

I will answer here:
What are potential benefits of AA2 technology (in my point of view)?

1) Company can port its application for wide range of operating systems and devices without need to modify existing code.

2) AA2 applications can use (scale on) different displays from QVGA PDAs to high quality LCDs.

3) It could be very optimised "middleware" solution - portability without loss of hardware performance.

But there are many cons:
1) Licencing scheme
2) Closed architecture
3) A.Inc management...
4) Narrow user/developer base (maybe ten persons on our planet?)

Last edited by pavlor on 01-Jul-2009 at 07:48 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 19:49:10
#69 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Considering how they said they were "the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies." And they said they were going to be bringing hundreds of jobs to Kent in relatively short order at the time, and that they seemed to have lead the mayor to believe they would turn Kent into a "technology hub". Yeah, given that it is startling.

What do we know about it? They might have big plans that would be enforced. None of us has the slightest idea. perhaps it was Penti Kouri capricious and submitted Bil McEwen promises which later was withdrawn. Anyway, we know nothing about this.

I think Discussion starts to circle around now on these issues so we will not longer.

I want to discuss AA2 and the technology behind.

I arrived a little later test AAS2 going to use that subset of a regular compiler, together with other code. If it works, the tool is even stronger than I previously seen.

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 20:19:10
#70 ]

@linnar

The problem is unlike other open source or even openly licensed code such as how Java started AA2 is attached analogically to Amiga.inc's hip, it is basically their .NET. There is no guarantee that an application programmed in it now can be legally distributed later.

linnar 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 20:37:45
#71 ]
Cult Member

@ReverseGTR

Quote:

ReverseGTR wrote:
@linnar

The problem is unlike other open source or even openly licensed code such as how Java started AA2 is attached analogically to Amiga.inc's hip, it is basically their .NET. There is no guarantee that an application programmed in it now can be legally distributed later.

I have the paper license.
I do not find it now but I can say that it is about Amiga Inc will receive part of their income to provide them the tools and sales channels. The idea was (and is?) That it would negotiate up to a large number of vendors of such programs so that sales would be high in number. this would attract programmers to agree to this agreement to earn more money than you could do on its own. So a win-win agreement.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 21:19:36
#72 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:
1) Company can port its application for wide range of operating systems and devices without need to modify existing code.

Not true with AA2. AA2 supports a very limited amount of operating systems and has for its whole 1.5 year public existence. There is no indication this will change.

Quote:
2) AA2 applications can use (scale on) different displays from QVGA PDAs to high quality LCDs.

Display of this feature has been very limited.

Quote:
3) It could be very optimised "middleware" solution - portability without loss of hardware performance.

But it has not been shown to be that.

Pleng and many others care about what it is. He does not need to give it a free pass for what its on paper potential is. Indeed you give him and others a couple of reasons not to look at it for anything but how it currently exists, namely:

Quote:
3) A.Inc management...
4) Narrow user/developer base (maybe ten persons on our planet?)

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jul-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 21:28:42
#73 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Quote:
What do we know about it? They might have big plans that would be enforced. None of us has the slightest idea. perhaps it was Penti Kouri capricious and submitted Bil McEwen promises which later was withdrawn. Anyway, we know nothing about this.

Sorry linnar but that just does not fly. We know they were not "the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies." And unfulfilled promises of money and jobs to Kent are going to leave an impression on people.

Quote:
I want to discuss AA2 and the technology behind.

I arrived a little later test AAS2 going to use that subset of a regular compiler, together with other code. If it works, the tool is even stronger than I previously seen.

Great, so show us some apps, and show us the power of AA2 having the app run on a bunch of operating systems.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 21:35:08
#74 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
@ReverseGTR

I do not find it now but I can say that it is about Amiga Inc will receive part of their income to provide them the tools and sales channels. The idea was (and is?) That it would negotiate up to a large number of vendors of such programs so that sales would be high in number. this would attract programmers to agree to this agreement to earn more money than you could do on its own. So a win-win agreement.

The programmers at the Pandora forum don't seem to think so. And they don't seem to have attracted many programmers in general. The AA2 developer here who said he did not get paid seems to be a caution flag as well. But by all means, follow your instinct and get into business with them if you wish. I wish you all the success in the world with them sincerely.

Amiga 1200

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 22:18:22
#75 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Not true with AA2. AA2 supports a very limited amount of operating systems and has for its whole 1.5 year public existence. There is no indication this will change.

I don´t say that AA2 supports many OSs, I simply wrote that this technology can possibly support variety of platforms/OSs. I think your point isn´t valid here.

Quote:
Display of this feature has been very limited.

I saw nice videos. (But I can´t find them now I found only one of Bill´s marketing attempts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2bofFSjPEc
)

Quote:
But it has not been shown to be that.

I agree. Naturally i meaned it in conditional.

Quote:
Pleng and many others care about what it is.

Again, I don´t think that Pleng cares about AA2, he simply hates A.Inc

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 22:48:35
#76 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:
I don´t say that AA2 supports many OSs, I simply wrote that this technology can possibly support variety of platforms/OSs. I think your point isn´t valid here.

But since it supporting many OSs is one of the only ways it might gain any chance at any widespread acceptance thats pretty central to whether its worthwhile or not. Surely, to be critical of that is fair and not indicative in-and-of-itself of a hatred towards the company producing said product...

Quote:
I agree. Naturally i meaned it in conditional.

A condition not met since introduction. With no indication it will be met. From a company with a bad past history. Pleng can't view that as a negative in the meantime??

Quote:
Again, I don´t think that Pleng cares about AA2, he simply hates A.Inc

Ok, thats one opinion. But even if you are right, are you saying that someone can't validly say the same things merely from looking at the current state of AA2 rationally?

Amiga 1200

Arko 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 23:44:39
#77 ]

@people that admires AA2

if we go back in time, when smart phones where rare and Java for cell phones and PDAs was expensive, TAO/ELATE/AmigaDE seemed to be a good idea, give it away for low costs and earn money by downloads , name it Amiga and sell it for people that want to play games ...

A good plan ? We know it didn't work IMHO AmigaDE was nearly included in the Zaurus. They where nearly successful.

Amiga Inc. did not had more than a name and the rights for an outdated OS programmed for an outdated hardware. What they did seemed to be a good idea. The AmigaDE/AA1 plans failed, the AA2 plans have failed too, the best thing Amiga Inc. could do ... die.

cu

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Leo 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 23:45:02
#78 ]

Does it come with a debugger/ide ?

What about the full doc/examples ?

What company is using it right now ?

What known state of the art game (since this is targetted at multimedia/games, right ?) makes use of it ?

What current state of the art smartphone does it support ? iPhone ? Pre ?

Does it run on Android ?

If not, I'm sorry, but who will consider using it ?

Seriously, when hearing them, it seems to me that 50 people have been working on it fulltime for the past 3 years... But when seeing the result, it appears to me that it is the work of only one guy, and not even fulltime... I'm pretty sure he did a great job. But you can't pretend to take over any market with that...

Now, what about doing something usefull and releasing 1.x ROMs for free ?

What about doing something even more usefull and taking advantage of the work done by Denis on the Minimig and release an Amiga in a joystick ?

Now that would sell, be useful, and maybe after that they could be some credibility, and money to trully work on something...

humm.. and they could even pay someone to design a website that isn't stuck in the 90's :)

Last edited by Leo on 01-Jul-2009 at 11:46 PM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 4:01:29
#79 ]

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
AA2 is still in beta stage. It is too early to draw any conclusions based on facts or constructing wishful thinking. If Amiga Inc missed to pay to someone is not charged to the technology behind AA2.

I tested AA2 and many other similar systems. AA2 ae the hiten until smartest to rapidly encode a program and extremely fast compile to different systems.

I think you're full of it linnar.

I don't think you've programmed a single thing with AA2 if you even have it. If AA2 is so capable how come there is ZERO evidence that any one has actually made 'an' app with it let alone 'many' apps as you claim to have compiled for different systems at "extremly fast" speeds.

No, no, I think you are full of crap. Either a troll or some how related to Amiga Inc.

You say a lot about AA2, but you never mention a single technical aspect. How does it deal with giving you access to a TCP IP stack in multiple systems, what libraries are implemented to let you deal with 2D/3D graphics, show us how it handles pointers, arrays,tell us how you get data in and out the stack and heap through an AA2 app.

Stop trolling it's getting old.

linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 6:10:08
#80 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
/../the AA2 plans have failed too, /../

AA2 is still a beta product. Something that not begun to function can not fail. I also think it took too long to AA2 but you must realize Amiga Inc position with the trial, the likely result that forced the concentration of developers for OS5.

Quote:
the best thing Amiga Inc. could do ... die.

Why would you like to it? As long as a company has employed one or more helps to keep people out of work down there. Or is it that you let yourself fall of all negative is printed on this forum to Amiga Inc and Bill McEwen? One advice I can give is to try to think for yourself.

Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle