Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 42 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 outlawal2:  45 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Luc:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
linnar 
Re: AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 6:52:00
#81 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:
Does it come with a debugger/ide ?

Yes, there is a debugger as well. I'm not home now so I can not describe it.

Quote:
What about the full doc/examples ?

Manual / Doc is all very well, it is available in both html and PDF. Html version has a lot of tabs to quickly click through to the correct section. The manual is comprehensive and very finely made.

Quote:
What company is using it right now ?

I think a lot of companies tried it as my business done. But I think nobody wants to publish something based on a beta tool. It is sad that it takes so long but we already know, is the people at Amiga Inc completely occupied with other things.

Quote:
What known state of the art game (since this is targetted at multimedia/games, right ?) makes use of it ?

No, AA2 can be operated to the usual productivity applications as well. Do not forget that Bill McEwen suggested that AA2 is part of OS5 SDK. For the game are all old attributes Bob's mm. Especially game for Amiga classic will recognize themselves, but there is very new too. It has been packed into all the complex coding of finished functions with a naming convention that says exactly what it is. All functions start with "aa".

Quote:
What current state of the art smartphone does it support ? iPhone ? Pre ?Does it run on Android ?
The idea is to be able to compile all the most common OS. It is also incredibly continues to compile to different OS. Develop a program on any machine until you are satisfied. Compiling then for any OS you meant that the program should be, only takes a minute or so.

Quote:
If not, I'm sorry, but who will consider using it ?

Read above. Test yourself happy, you will be delighted. The bad thing about AA2 is the editor. One should invest in a properly integrated tools. But perhaps it will, given the only thing we know the name of the developer group.

Quote:
Seriously, when hearing them, it seems to me that 50 people have been working on it fulltime for the past 3 years... But when seeing the result, it appears to me that it is the work of only one guy, and not even fulltime... I'm pretty sure he did a great job. But you can't pretend to take over any market with that...
I guess this is your personal comment. Sad that your financial affairs end with a ridiculous forum correctly attack.
You are wrong when you write that 50 people working on the project. According to McEwen (OS5) started with a few people a few years ago on its unpaid leisure. But the post has been switched to working time and more people joined the group. According to what I read, I can get it to 4 or 5 people who work with the development of OS5. During the work process has packed together a "light SDK" which made it possible to download. It goes by the name of Aa2. The 50 people you write about must be what you heard on the Amiga India. It is claimed to work 50 people there out of a total of 56 employees. Just the piece I think is theater games to keep the value of Amiga Inc revealed.

Quote:
Now, what about doing something usefull and releasing 1.x ROMs for free ?

What about doing something even more usefull and taking advantage of the work done by Denis on the Minimig and release an Amiga in a joystick ?
Now that would sell, be useful, and maybe after that they could be some credibility, and money to trully work on something...
Oh, yes, come on, unleash your imagination Bill, this is money to be!
Leo, Your ideas are really good!

Quote:
humm.. and they could even pay someone to design a website that isn't stuck in the 90's :)
It looks well so that you do not have time or money to change it.
If you look at other companies' websites is not so much the better. What makes a website bar is usually content that is changing all the time. look at other companies in the Amiga branch. One who has "FX" in its name has a website that looks pittance out (if not updated it since I last looked).

Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 7:15:38
#82 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
I think you're full of it linnar.

??

Quote:
I don't think you've programmed a single thing with AA2 if you even have it. If AA2 is so capable how come there is ZERO evidence that any one has actually made 'an' app with it let alone 'many' apps as you claim to have compiled for different systems at "extremly fast" speeds.

When I translate what you type into my language, this is extremely ugly said! But I think it is a translation from my side so I leave it without further comment.

Quote:
You say a lot about AA2, but you never mention a single technical aspect. How does it deal with giving you access to a TCP IP stack in multiple systems, what libraries are implemented to let you deal with 2D/3D graphics, show us how it handles pointers, arrays,tell us how you get data in and out the stack and heap through an AA2 app.

I am not at home now so I can not give an example. Pointers are handled as pointers always handled in the "C" but it have tried to simplify it for those who want to get away pointers.
Generally you can do everything with Aa2 you can do in other C-tools.
I have problems with what may appear to Aa2 due to Copyright mm.
I will see if I can show some images from the manual when I have time. Will it be good?

Quote:
Stop trolling it's getting old.

Troll in my language means small human-like creatures with big ears and big nose who live in the woods.

If I translate "Stop trolling it's getting old 'til my language and back to English, it will be like this:
"Stop trolling the old age"

Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Leo 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 7:31:21
#83 ]

Quote:

The idea is to be able to compile all the most common OS. It is also incredibly continues to compile to different OS. Develop a program on any machine until you are satisfied. Compiling then for any OS you meant that the program should be, only takes a minute or so.

This doesn't answer my question...

Can I make applications for the iphone, pre, and android-based phones ?

Now I'm sorry, but until I see it running, there's no such thing as OS5, much like there's no PowerPC machine "Power Design" announced back in 2007.

The website does look old, doesn't respect any standard (full of tables where it's not needed), looks unprofessionnal (bad choice of fonts/colors, stuff not aligned correctly,..).
Plus it won't even work in AmigaOS since it has a very big flash... But who cares if a company's website doesn't even run on the company's OS... really.. :)

Darth_X 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 8:23:25
#84 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

ReverseGTR wrote:

The problem is unlike other open source or even openly licensed code such as how Java started AA2 is attached analogically to Amiga.inc's hip, it is basically their .NET. There is no guarantee that an application programmed in it now can be legally distributed later.

Very good point!

Arko 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 8:32:02
#85 ]

@linnar

Quote:

AA2 is still a beta product. Something that not begun to function can not fail. ...

It is not available for Linux or any other Unix ( Android, iPhone, Pandora, ... ) and not available for Symbian.
That’s not just a 'beta' problem, it is a total fail for this platforms

Now, more than 10 years after AmigaDE was announced, most mobile phones have Java, there is no niche left for AmigaDE, AA1, AA2 or anything else from Amiga inc.

Amiga Inc's. master plan was:

A)
attract Amiga developers writing applications for AmigaDE/AA1 or AA2,
B)
ex Amiga users buying applications
C)
partners that wanted applications for their devices

So linar if an eight years old marketing idea is still beta, it will never work.

Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:13 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 9:22:37
#86 ]
Cult Member

@Leo
Quote:
Can I make applications for the iphone, pre, and android-based phones ?

The answer must be 'no' in the present situation. But if you follow the plan it is intended to go compiler the most viable os.

Quote:
Now I'm sorry, but until I see it running, there's no such thing as OS5, much like there's no PowerPC machine "Power Design" announced back in 2007.

Maybe you are right! That you are sorry can be a sign that you're actually waiting ...

Quote:
The website does look old, doesn't respect any standard (full of tables where it's not needed), looks unprofessionnal (bad choice of fonts/colors, stuff not aligned correctly,..).
Plus it won't even work in AmigaOS since it has a very big flash... But who cares if a company's website doesn't even run on the company's OS... really.. :)

I think we all agree that the site needs a total renovation.

Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:23 AM.

linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 9:33:19
#87 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

1. It is a beta version and the one can only compilera two different os. The code is prepared to Linux, OS4.x and more.

2. It has produced some of AA1 over the years but AA2 is not ready for real production of programs.

Quote:
So linar if an eight years old marketing idea is still beta, it will never work.

You can not generalize that. AA1 is several years old but AA2 is not born yet. Beta version is not commercially useful version.

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 9:35:48
#88 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic Quote:
If AA2 is so capable how come there is ZERO evidence that any one has actually made 'an' app with it let alone 'many' apps as you claim to have compiled for different systems at "extremly fast" speeds.

Perhaps no-one develops for AA2 because they don't see any AA2 apps? Chicken & egg problem.

Of course, Amiga Inc should actually try advertising AA2, that might help too!

OTOH, people should NOT be calling you a troll.

Last edited by ChrisH on 02-Jul-2009 at 10:04 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 9:41:43
#89 ]
Elite Member

@linnar
Most people (here & on Pandora forum) seem to want to see actual real apps written using AA2, rather than relying on your evaluation of it. Which I think is fair enough.

Perhaps if we didn't need to sign an SDA (or NDA?) for the AA2 SDK, then people could evaluate it themselves.

IMHO about the most useful thing I have seen written about AA2 so far is this:
Quote:
Index of AA2 modules:

AA Core Library API
Audio Library API
Bob Library API
Config Library API
Display Library API
Event Library API
Font Library API
HTML Library API
Imageset Library API
Linked List Library API
Mathematics Library API
Memory Library API
Message Port Library API
Pixmap Library API
Preferences Library API
Pthreads Library API
String Library API
Time Library API
Filesystem Library API

Last edited by ChrisH on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 9:50:50
#90 ]

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

It is a beta version and the one can only compilera two different
os. The code is prepared to Linux, OS4.x and more.

No developer could ever work with an announced compiler.
AFAIK the system was never announced for AOS4.

Quote:

linnar wrote:

It has produced some of AA1 over the years but AA2
is not ready for real production of programs.

I see no reason why a plan, that already failed with AmigaDE, will work today.

Amiga Inc. could not even show a demo running on Linux, developers should ignore it. Developers could earn money with already available systems, there is no reason to wait for AA2.

Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 09:55 AM.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Leo 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 11:20:45
#91 ]

Quote:

Maybe you are right! That you are sorry can be a sign that you're actually waiting ...

Of course I'm not waiting. I can start developing iPhone apps just by downloading a simple SDK right now. I can also develop Android Apps right now.

I'm not waiting for anything from one guy that keeps spreading lies, have a record of not paying employes, have such restrictive SDA, and so on...

Sure Apple's software agreement isn't the best. But Apple sold 13 millions iphone (and I'm not talking about ipod touch I can target as well). How many devices (currently in use) are running AA2 ?

I was just trying to understand how this guy can still fool some people...

linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 11:51:58
#92 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Well, I wished that it wrote the contract and download tools.
There are example programs in Aa2 package I have thought about making one of them available. But I am afraid to break the rules then. I can instead take screenshots of the program and spend. Unfortunately I do not have time to knock together their own program at the moment.

linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 12:31:58
#93 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:

I do not really understand what you mean.
As stated by Amiga Inc is AA2 going to use the most common platforms. I think it's answer enough. In AA2 header files are defined several different OS. It includes OS4. But ok, it does not necessarily mean that will happen but it shows some of the thinking.

Quote:
I see no reason why a plan, that already failed with AmigaDE, will work today.

Amiga is a subset of AA1, I understand it was supposed to Amiga would be an own operating system with TAO Intent's (name?) As a basis. Since TAO had financial problems shortly after it could not continue (or start) with operating system. AA1 was already clear. So there is a story behind why it was that it became.

Quote:
Amiga Inc. could not even show a demo running on Linux, developers should ignore it. Developers could earn money with already available systems, there is no reason to wait for AA2.

I assume the developer himself making that decision. Some perhaps will like AA2, while others will not like it. I myself have very difficult to replace the tools I worked with for a while. I think this is the most difficult obstacle for Amiga Inc to get over once you launch the product. Then ignore me from the long waiting time which is in itself Amiga Inc's worst enemy right now.

Bill McEwen, do something about the long waiting! People betray you otherwise! It would have been sad when AA2 seems to be a good product.

Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 01:05 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 12:41:45
#94 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

I understand people's anger actually waited and waited! But I do not think it's Bill McEwen merit. It is someone else who guided (who govern now?) Events. I think Bill McEwen had good intentions and also liked to tell their intentions and then become promises of people's mouths. Subsequently, those who really control come in and moved around the schedule. Added to this are the personal tragedies empty treasury and more. One should probably not say "this guy fooling people." I have heard those who met him, he is a nice guy by the plans to the hilt. I have probably not wrong if I say that the vast majority recognize themselves in the description of Bill McEwen.
I personally know absolutely nothing about him more than I read so it can be wrong image I give.

Last edited by linnar on 02-Jul-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 13:22:09
#95 ]

Quote:

I personally know absolutely nothing about him more than I read so it can be wrong image I give.

I have nothing against him (or whoever is in charge of this ghost company), I just do not care :)

Rudei 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 13:28:01
#96 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
On the plus side if AA worked on the pandora we could have killer apps such as the tip calculator and a snowman construction kit

That was a fricking hilarious comment! Made my day!

Rude!

Arko 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 14:59:24
#97 ]

@linnar

Quote:
I understand people's anger actually waited and waited!

There is nothing AA2 could do, that could not be done by Java on a smartphone.

There are 3D games in Java, most classic C64 games exist for mobile phone in Java, I have games like 'Chess Master' or 'Might and Magic' on my 5 jears old cellphone. Even if AA2 would be better than Java, it is to late !

Quote:

Quote:

do not really understand what you mean.
As stated by Amiga Inc is AA2 going to use the most common platforms

No developer would work with something that doesn't exists.

Quote:

Quote:

In AA2 header files are defined several different OS.

#ifnfdef C64
#define C64

#ifnfdef ZXSpectrum
#define ZXSpectrum

Now this thread officialy supports C64 and ZXSpectrum ...

Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Last edited by Arko on 02-Jul-2009 at 03:07 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 15:21:36
#98 ]
Team Member

@Arko

Quote:
#ifnfdef C64
#define C64

#ifnfdef ZXSpectrum
#define ZXSpectrum

Now this thread officialy supports C64 and ZXSpectrum ...

Amiga 1200

billt 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 15:24:36
#99 ]
Elite Member

@linnar
Quote:

Sounds like WxWidgets, QT, GTK, SDL, Java, etc. Which are all already popular, widely used, and already work on a lot of operating systems/devices.

Some here have asked, which all devices and OSes does AA2 ALREADY run on. Not theoretically, or possibly, but already done, complete, and being used?

To get supported, one must show that something like AA2 has something that makes it better than the others. How is AA2 better than SDL? How is AA2 better than WxWidgets?

Does AA2 have some special new features that is important for new games or applications, which other libraries do not have?

Does AA2 run on some new special device hardware that no other libraries do, whihc will be huge market and developers must be on it without waiting for sdl or wxwidgets or...?

Does AA2 run on some special OS that no other libraries do, which will be huge market and developers must be on it without waiting for sdl or wxwidgets or...?

Developers get comfortable with their environment and tools, and to leave that comfort and good use, there must be a very good reason to do so. They won't support yet another library just because it's there, they must feel an important reason to do so. Why change to AA2 when I've done very good with SDL? Why change to AA2 when I've done very good with WxWidgets?

Some of us think that Amiga Inc. hoped that we Amiga fanatics would see the name "Amiga" as the important reason to change and use AA2 instead of something else, without other reason. That's not going to go very far, and it's not going to be important at all to other developers. What good reasons are there to change from other very good libraries and use AA2 instead?

billt 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 15:31:34
#100 ]
Elite Member

@linnar
Quote:
In AA2 header files are defined several different OS.

How many of them actually work? Not plans for future, not wishful thinking, but how many actually work, right now?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle