Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  1 min ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs ago
 mbrantley:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 24 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  4 hrs 32 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Are we going to see Amizilla soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ants 
Re: Are we going to see Amizilla soon?
Posted on 7-Jul-2009 3:53:00
#21 ]

@Varthall

Yeah Afxgroup (Andrea Palmatè) had a rough version of FF running under GTK on OS4, but didn't carry on with it- he started OWB instead, based on Webkit. How much of it was because he saw too many problems in getting FF running properly, or whether he thought the time was better spent on creating a Webkit solution which would be faster, efficient and more Amiga-like etc I don't know. This was a couple of years ago- I have no idea what's he's done/doing since then.

@arsipaani

Yeah, I want to have a look at Fennec- I agree, the abstraction layer may be simpler and better documented!

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
To the devs of OWB, Netsurf and Merlin. Imo split the bounty to 50% for OWB, 40% for Netsurf and 10% for Merlin.

I disagree- why are people splitting development of browsers in such a small dev community- it's because of this sort of mentality, that AmiZilla hasn't been ported! The support of OWB works in nicely with the original AmiZilla bounty- i.e. a Beta on OS3, OS4, Morphos, and AROS.

Andrea Palmatè started the OWB project on OS4, and I see that Jörg Strohmayer has taken over it's development on OS3 and OS4, Fabien has done a MOS port, and Stanislaw Sszymczyk has done the AROS port. IMO these people should get a quarter of the bounty each.
But the communities would have to have a good discussion about it, and come to decision about it- as it changes the terms of the original bounty!

-Ants
AmiZilla Coordinator

Last edited by Ants on 08-Jul-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Last edited by Ants on 07-Jul-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
abalaban 
Posted on 7-Jul-2009 8:56:54
#22 ]

@Ants

I'm not sure if Fabien (Fab here) would appreciate seeing its email address is plainly visible here for SPAM bots...

Templario 
Posted on 7-Jul-2009 10:17:00
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

It was a Opera's fault to 100%, because I used Internet 3G movil from my NoteBook and when the Opera hasn't flow connection because you are reading Opera is freeze, but the worst is that in Windows Vista is impossible delete its proccess as with other windows programs, why? I don't know because I sent e-mails to Opera team and they don't know that answer me.

Troels 
Posted on 7-Jul-2009 10:35:06
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Ants

What pieces does Amizilla consist of, wouldn't it be possible to create smaller bounties for parts of the port?
Just to get things going and more people joining.

I already donated towards OWB and netsurf but I still want Amizilla at some point as the other browsers have a looooong way to go in comparison.

Zardoz 
Posted on 7-Jul-2009 11:11:27
#25 ]
Team Member

@Templario

Quote:
It was a Opera's fault to 100%, because I used Internet 3G movil from my NoteBook and when the Opera hasn't flow connection because you are reading Opera is freeze,

But now you introduced another part in the system, the 3G modem driver. I have never had much luck with those, crashes etc.

Quote:
but the worst is that in Windows Vista is impossible delete its proccess as with other windows programs, why? I don't know because I sent e-mails to Opera team and they don't know that answer me.

Not here, I can kill the process all right. Which would indicate there's more factors involved than just Opera. I have had DOpus and Windows Explorer crash and become unkillable because a USB Mass Storage Device crashed.

Ants 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 2:37:59
#26 ]

@abalaban

Good point- the web site didn't actually have his name- just an email- anyway removed!

@ Troels

The main part really is the NSPR- we can do a GTK version on X and probably get the bounty- I think GLib, GTK/GDK and X-Server have been ported to OS3, so getting the NSPR compiling is where the work is mainly needed. Breaking the Bounty into 4, one for each OS is probably the best way to split up the bounty.

And you've got a good point about people wanting actual Firefox on Amiga OSes- this is what I was interested to know- if people still want it, then we can't change the Bounty!

-Ants
Amizilla Coordinator

ssolie 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 3:49:54
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Ants
Quote:
We even talked on Amigaworld about splitting the bounty into 4- OS3, OS4, MOS and AROS, to make this easier, but again nothing.

Given how much time has past I think you should seriously consider abandoning the idea and give the money away to some charity instead. It certainly isn't doing any good sitting there year after year and I doubt you'll be able to return all the money anyway.

Manu 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 6:44:27
#28 ]

@ssolie

I'd say keep the money. If someone completes the bounty for Classic, Aros, Mos, OS4 he will be honored as the most talanted, open minded amigan in the world. If no one does, it's a monument of what the amiga community really "could have been".

bernd_afa 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 8:29:50
#29 ]
Cult Member

>Yeah Afxgroup (Andrea Palmatè) had a rough version of FF running under GTK on >OS4, but didn't carry on with it- he started OWB instead, based on Webkit. How >much of it was because he saw too many problems in getting FF running properly,

I guess he run in the same problems that are discribe here.
problems with thread safety.firefox and other big apps use many threads.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=29053&forum=14&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0

I remember there was a netscape running on 68k but nobody find out wy it crash and so i think motivation goes down.

but time have change.68k have the modernst compiler in amigaland with newest libstdc++ (gcc4.3.2 gcc4.4.0)

on 68k you can a highly multithreaded program as ffmpeg/ ffplay (use 5 threads) get correct running now by checkout the current source and type configure and make.

and a realtime program as video play or audio play show very soon if there are problems in task switching by crackle or unsmooth video move because it use for video 1 thread audio 1 thread timer 1 thread

all this work since ixemul V61 ok, and i dont think that on MOS or OS4 AROS can get a ffplay running by use of original source and no special OS changes and lots work need

so chances look lots better to let run a stable firefox on 68k
OS4 prefer newlib MOS prefer enhanced ixemul, but both are closed source in important places, so its not easy to port this to all systems.but ixemul is openource.

I also help cost free(i dont want some part of the bounty), if there is a hard to find problem on porting firefox or ixemul ,also winuae is so powerfull with the save states that it is possible to find Bugs very easy.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Templario 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 10:41:48
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

Now I haven't this problem with my NoteBook because currently between the excessive crashes by Opera that broke the hard disk and other problems that the NoteBook has gone suffered I have it saved in its box without can used it.

Thank you OPERA!!

Rogue 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 14:07:10
#31 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@bernd_afa

Quote:
I guess he run in the same problems that are discribe here. problems with thread safety.firefox and other big apps use many threads.

It never ceases to amaze me that in your eternal quest to badmouth everything AmigaOS 4.x-related, you always manage to stoop even lower with every posting.

You are completely and utterly speculating, yet present it as a proven fact. Just because someone had a problem with pthreads, and you don't even know whether afxgroup's Firefox build used pthreads at all. Yet, you again use this to wage your puny little propaganda war against everything not 68k related.

I am not even going to reply to the rest of your posting, it's so obviously ignorant.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 17:20:35
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue
>Yet, you again use this to wage your puny little propaganda war against everything >not 68k related.

i bring no propaganda, only i tell is working better together on amiga.I try to help on that problem.but when OS4 use a closed source pthread lib that is diffrent to existing, i can of course not help.

But i think this is what the commercial AOS devs not like, a working together as on Linux.
I think they want that OS4 have somethong that is not available on other systems and so OS4 and this low power and high price Hardware should buy.

thats maybe the reason wy the OS4 newlib platform specific code is too not open source.

Is it correct that OS4 newlib platform code is not opensource ?
Do you make newlib and pthread opensource ?

i bring only a possible reason, its really a joke that blender for OS4 was announce 2 years before but still not here.

and when work in firefox was done on OS4 before OWB and progress get, but then goes to OWB is a joke too.or in short lose to port firefox.

If OWB is such a good browser, wy it is not here on windows or linux binary ?
its also not known in wikipedia as a browser.read here what browsers are existing.there is btw netsurf list. but netsurf too cant compare with firefox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser

Yes i know you want say OS4 have no problems is the best AOS here, but wy is there no working firefox or blender here, when there is begin the work such long time ago ?

I dont think that a dev is so patient and work over a time of 2 years only 2 minutes per week on a Port.

Or what do you think how many hours does it take to get blender working on a other OS than OS4 ?

I see only in MOS, blender was come in short time.When i need blender on 68k i think when it need more than 30 hours to get blender working, then there should AOS or Unix API libs enhance, and when somebody say that there is that problem possible, i try to solve this on not say he do bad propaganda.in the thread i post link is see that several test situation get problems on OS4 pthread.

Show that OS4 is good, is only when a program get short working after announce or short working after a new hardware is here.

and btw is Hyperion now too slow to announce ????
Or what is the ambougios project they work, is this the shadows on OS4.1 or the beta update or something else ?????

also the announce that there are intrestings for kiosk systems you say in a interview long time ago.

what happen with that ???????

what should think about that ?
Is that only propaganda to tell, hey see, OS4 is the best OS with best future and can buy , because there are intresting outside amiga world ???

now what happen with that ????

>Just because someone had a problem with pthreads, and you don't even know >whether afxgroup's Firefox build used pthreads at all.

here is a link, that show that it seem not possible to build firefox without pthread support.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2006/01/26/0004.html

but to be sure maybve somebody can ask firefox devs if it is possible that firefox work without pthread and what about speed then

Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 08-Jul-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Insanity 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 17:39:50
#33 ]

@whoever

Why on EARTH keep the (seemingly) retarded demand of porting it to 3.x? The other three are at least developing growing operative systems with a somewhat modern structure?

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 17:50:21
#34 ]
Team Member

@arsipaani

Quote:

arsipaani wrote:
@Ants

Fennec, may be easier to port. and it still is firefox...

This seems like a good idea, at least at first glance.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 17:59:03
#35 ]
Team Member

@ALL

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@bernd_afa

Yet, you again use this to wage your puny little propaganda war against everything not 68k related.

I am not even going to reply to the rest of your posting, it's so obviously ignorant.

To everyone in this thread, please, lets try to stay courteous here. I know frustrations can arise for some, and the frustration part may be totally valid, but the TOS tells us not to act on that here.

So if anyone has not looked at the TOS lately , here is what I am talking about :

Quote:
...Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner...We come from different locations, we are a mix of ages, and our backgrounds vary. Take that into consideration before you click the post button. A moment of thought is better than hours of grief. The general rule of thumb is treat others as you would like to be treated.

Amiga 1200

Snuffy 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 18:08:02
#36 ]

@ssolie

Given how much time has past I think you should seriously consider abandoning the idea and give the money away to some charity instead...
I agree. Too much time gone by; like Sputnik- another stagnant project.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 18:08:15
#37 ]
Team Member

@bernd_afa

Quote:
But i think this is what the commercial AOS devs not like, a working together as on Linux.
I think they want that OS4 have somethong that is not available on other systems and so OS4 and this low power and high price Hardware should buy.

Quote:
its really a joke that blender for OS4 was announce 2 years before but still not here.

Quote:
If OWB is such a good browser, wy it is not here on windows or linux binary ?

Quote:
Yes i know you want say OS4 have no problems is the best AOS here, but wy is there no working firefox or blender here

Quote:
Is that only propaganda to tell, hey see, OS4 is the best OS with best future and can buy , because there are intresting outside amiga world ???

You have a lot of accusations in here. And I have never seen Rogue or Hyperion say some of these things you accuse them as having said. Now that makes me think you might be trolling here. And thats a problem if you are, as the TOS forbids it. So please think on that.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 18:11:31
#38 ]
Team Member

@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
@ssolie

Given how much time has past I think you should seriously consider abandoning the idea and give the money away to some charity instead...
I agree. Too much time gone by; like Sputnik- another stagnant project.

My vote would be split the money between the OWB and Netsurf efforts.

Amiga 1200

Troels 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 18:28:26
#39 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

You being dissatisfied with Hyperion have nothing to do with this thread, please take it with Rogue in private (if he has any time to waste).

Troels 
Posted on 8-Jul-2009 18:41:32
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Snuffy

Please do not to compare Amizilla with the sputnik bounty.
End result might be the same (nothing to show) but I would never let it be ten years before I pull the plug or look at ways to get something done. The Sputnik project was canceled because of missed deadlines Amizilla project doesn't even have deadlines!

Any "amigabounty.net" bounty is very clear regarding deadlines and that's the way it will continue to be. With some projects it is very hard to estimate what a fair deadline is and developers missing a deadline but doing progress will of course have their deadlines extended.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle