Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rogue 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:11:01
#101 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Kronos

Quote:
Wow, I'm really impressed .......

I know, I have the tendency to impress people.

Quote:
You could have answered the question instead, do you really think all these "good news soon" style hyping does you (OS4,Hyperion,whomever) any good ?

Do you really think I care what you think? It doesn't matter, whatever Hyperion (or I) say, someone will come along and complain about it, so why should anybody care? Some people will complain when there is no hint at all, some will complain if there are. In the end, it doesn't matter, one way or the other, someone *will* come to urinate.

If Hyperion remains silent and says nothing, a certain ilk of people will use this to suggest that there is no work going on. If they say something, then people will come up and say exactly what you said (though most people would have had more decency and left out the F-Word, masked in an acronym or not). If Hyperion spills the beans, then somebody will complain about missing deadlines etc.

So, bottom line, someone always complains. The outcome is always the same, just the group of people complaining is different.

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:12:58
#102 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Kronos

Quote:
The OS4 port does exist (another example for endless "good news soon" hype that ended with no real result), but can only be optained illegally and is far to incomplete to be useable.

The Mac Mini port of OS 4 was never announced or hinted at, at least not by Hyperion. It was never an official target, and never endorsed.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:13:06
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

I mean, if the project is nothing related to any of the things mentioned by the users (that are things that the users wishes) what else could surprise the amigans? They have mentioned everything immaginable, but you said that they are all wrong.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:17:34
#104 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Troels

Quote:
IMO Kronos is right..........

I am quite sure Kronos shares your opinion on that as well, but as you said yourself, it is opinion. I tried to explain my opinion on the subject, and that is all I am going to say on the topic. There is nothing left to say, and as usual, any thread on amigaworld.net is drifting off into the usual mud slinging.

Kronos 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:21:03
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

The Mac Mini port of OS 4 was never announced or hinted at, at least not by Hyperion. It was never an official target, and never endorsed.

So your saying it was done by a "rogue" OS4-developer (couldn't resist that one) against the will of Hyperion ??? Now if that puzzle-piece in the Amiga-history wasn't worth all those hype-threads !!

Back than there were lots of Hyperion-posts hinting towards "new HW" that were interpreted towards the Mac-Mini, and thats the main crux with this kind of PR, it's impossible to tell which hypes ended in which products and which ended being just hypes.

Last edited by Kronos on 10-Jul-2009 at 11:21 AM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:42:49
#106 ]

@Kronos

Hm, I haven't counted, but you use the word "hype" rather often. I can't see any "hype" from Hyperion in that the way *I* interpret that word. Maybe we have different definitions for that, but it smells a littlebit as if you are searching desperately for something like that.

To be truthfull, I follow the "news" about OS4.x related stuff for a rather short time now, 'cos I only recently moved from OS3.x/68k systems to OS4.x/PPC.

marko 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:48:00
#107 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@Rogue and Hyperion

Quote:
Rogue wrote:

In the past, everybody blamed all the discontent on delays and the usual "failed promise", not on secrecy. This is why Hyperion has adopted a strategy of only announcing what is sufficiently advanced to be announced; the Pegasos version is a good example, I am quite sure everybody was surprised about it.

The new project will be the same; it will be announced as soon as it is sufficiently advanced to be announced, because otherwise we will be reading all the "broken promises" threads again, or "It's ridiculous it took them X weeks", or "two more weeks(lots if line breaks) Sorry could not resist " kind of postings.

The project is ambitious, and I am absolutely certain it will be a surprise, and is going to be well received, but we're not going to announce it (at least not all of it) until we are almost certain about a release date.

Roger that, I'm looking forward for it, what ever it is

m4rko.com/AMIGA

Kronos 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 11:48:57
#108 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Well if someone writes stuff like "we are working on our most ambitious project" without telling what it is and does so for several months I would say we're close to defintion of "hype".

Gebrochen 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 12:19:20
#109 ]

@Some in the thread :

You just simply a loud speaker, may as well grab that microphone and rap, tap, tap dance at Rogue all you like, If you are blinded by Lust and Wishful thinking of other amiga users, and

wish to assume that Hyperion said it, or may do it in future, then go for it.

I only know this, I dislike people that rave around towards a developer that has done so much good to the community, especially in recent times yet again.

Who Gives a HOOT how much longer or shorter it will take Hyperion, we are all eager for newer, better, etc, but one things for sure, HYPERION have not let us down in the long run, on the contrary, they have, along with talks of another company, bought many new software / games and some new hardware, and there may be a 1 % of new user base because of it in the Amiga world.

Such as myself coming back after a 15 year break(thereabouts), being very very thankful.

Now please step away from the forums, and give this excellent guy a rest, he deserves it, hes been porting inbetween things also for the community, DAMN, how much time is all this taking him, and all you and others are doing is COMPLAINING, aaaarrgggggggggghhhhh, where am I, an Amiga forum that shows respect towards others, no matter their skill, or has this suddenly stepped and gone out the window.

Cheers.

Naturally these are just my thoughts, as always.

Last edited by Gebrochen on 10-Jul-2009 at 12:24 PM.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

bernd_afa 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 12:53:01
#110 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Arko

No game ports are planned for the near or mid-term future. The focus is on AmigaOS 4 right now.

That's all I am going to say. Oh, yes, let me add one more thing: Don't believe anybody. They're all just speculating. Nobody outside the dev team knows anything.

if the direct link not work

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/

then press games button and look on gorky17

You say "No game ports are planned for the near or mid-term future".

But wy here stand gorky17 comming soon for amiga OS4.x at the new homepage ?????

Last edited by bernd_afa on 10-Jul-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 10-Jul-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 10-Jul-2009 at 12:54 PM.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 12:59:56
#111 ]

@Gebrochen

I wholehartly agree! Give the poor developer a rest. He is only a human like all of us, people...

@All

Seriously, don't some of you think you have been complaining too much? Why not just give the developer some rest? He deserves it. He has been working extremely hard, and in fact the summer holidays are here now. Do something constructive. Turn off the computer, get your body out, have fun, flirt, go traveling. Discover the whole world that is widely outside your own room. Don't spend too much time growing fast and lazy on the chair...

damocles 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:05:29
#112 ]

@gregthecanuck

Quote:
This really fits into my earlier thoughts on the QorIQ processors from Freescale.

Problem with going with QorIQ is OS4 is not SMP. Not really sure how the OS4 Devs can make OS4 SMP without breaking 3.1 API. Time will tell.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:11:57
#113 ]

@bernd_afa

Sorry, everytime I try to load your posting, it isnt loading and is giving me an error to the link youve supplied. I was just trying to see what you are raving on about?

Cheers.

AmiKit 12

AP 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:15:07
#114 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue/all: The main-problem is, that the people, who are complaining the most are not using AmigaOS4 (and don´t want to use it) anyway).

Part of them re already using MorpOS, part of them attacked Hyperion and AmigaOS4 for years in various forums (often with false "facts").

So it doesn't matter what Hyperion will do or announce, they are not interested anyway and will continue complaining.

So don´t feed the trolls...

MassiveAttack 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:16:29
#115 ]

@Kronos

I'm glad you took the time out to apologise, it takes guts to admit you have made a mistake, kudos. What I don't get is:

1. How "The Mac Mini port of OS 4 was never announced or hinted at, at least not by Hyperion. It was never an official target, and never endorsed." becomes "So your saying it was done by a "rogue" OS4-developer against the will of Hyperion". Perhaps my English skills aren't what they were?

2. why you laughed at your own joke there.

Quote:

Back than there were lots of Hyperion-posts hinting towards "new HW" that were interpreted towards the Mac-Mini,

You can't blame any development company for not getting into a guessing game and then "failing" to deliver on something that is based entirely on the speculation of a third party. As you use the word "interpreted" I'm sure you are aware of where the blame really lies.

i.e. not with Hyperion.

But it is getting boring. You've had what, five years now, flaming Hyperion regardless of what they say or do. But at least you apologised above, as I said, that took balls.

Last edited by MassiveAttack on 10-Jul-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Last edited by MassiveAttack on 10-Jul-2009 at 01:17 PM.

AP 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:16:53
#116 ]
Cult Member

@HKvalhe:

Well spoken!

Gebrochen 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:19:41
#117 ]

@AP

Da muss ich dir ja recht geben.

You make a point.

AmiKit 12

OldFart 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:22:08
#118 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@cha05e90

Quote:
I can't see any "hype" from Hyperion...

It's even in their name!

OldFart

VidarL 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:26:42
#119 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
We remain convinced however that the PPC architecture is the most scaleable and least power hungry on the market

PowerPC can't compete i either Performance/watt or performance/$ in any market with any relation to desktop or laptop computing. That's a fact. That you remain convinced doesn't really matter if it isn't true.

Quote:
and that an OS which specifically targets PowerPC instead of x86 with after thought ports to other architectures represents true value.

How does it represent value that it runs on a non-standard hardware that costs 5x more than faster and more modern x86 hardware?

What does PowerPC offer potensial customers that x86 or even ARM doesn't offer at much better performance and/or price? Seriously, I'm curious how you can have such a viewpoint..

HKvalhe 
Posted on 10-Jul-2009 13:29:39
#120 ]

@AP

Quote:
Well spoken!

Thanks, mate!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle