Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  10 mins ago
 amig_os:  30 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  43 mins ago
 mbrantley:  46 mins ago
 michalsc:  56 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 number6:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Djk83:  2 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  the secret project of Hyperion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
amitv 
Re: the secret project of Hyperion
Posted on 19-Jul-2009 21:40:39
#341 ]

@Metalheart

Nothing related to hyperion, i guess.

Profile     Report this post  
amitv 
Posted on 19-Jul-2009 21:42:30
#342 ]

@Metalheart

Nothing related to hyperion, i guess. I don't know clearly what this project is. As you can read in the blog, some features are hidden . I said, maybe is something similar to this: a desktop enanchement

amitv 
Posted on 19-Jul-2009 21:43:52
#343 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

it's not transparency: The title of the window say "Overlay mode". Note the colours beneath the window are changed

Last edited by amitv on 19-Jul-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Metalheart 
Posted on 19-Jul-2009 21:52:10
#344 ]
Elite Member

On a side note....

Hyperion must be laughing their asses (in case of that pesky dirty-words-filter kicks in... 'bottoms' ) off, waching us speculating and missing the point by quite a large margin....

edit.. hey ! we are allowed to say ASSES !! or did I spell it wrong ?

Last edited by Metalheart on 19-Jul-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Last edited by Metalheart on 19-Jul-2009 at 09:53 PM.

That as soon as you're born you're dying

broadblues 
Posted on 19-Jul-2009 22:25:59
#345 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Metalheart

An ass is akind of donkey the word your looking for is ... oh never mind

Last edited by broadblues on 19-Jul-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Last edited by broadblues on 19-Jul-2009 at 10:26 PM.

minator 
Posted on 19-Jul-2009 23:11:52
#346 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:
Well, I think major changes are needed, like Apple went through with OSX. The problem is people are against changes. Anything really new would be copying Windows/Mac/Linux and/or make AmigaOS incomaptible with older software with some extent. That's something people do not accept. But without it we're stuck in the past...

Without updating things the Amiga is doomed to an ever shrinking userbase.
Ultimately it's all about look and feel, if you can produce something that looks and feels like and Amiga the underlying technology can change as much as you like. As for compatibility just use sandboxes.

Quote:
As for the CPU, I think it really doesn't matter... The hardware battle has been won a long time ago by intel... There's no need to waste resources here. So either we go mobile devices, and ARM is the way to go. Either we stick to desktop/server, and obvsiously x86 is the way to go. There's really no need to argue.

x86 wil; be faster but the problem with going x86 is everyone with a PC is going to expect to be supported but, they'll only be able to support a tiny fraction of PCs. With ARM they can pick a specific chip (e.g. OMAP, imx51, Snapdragon) and say we support this, they can then list the devices they're compatible with. From a support and development point of view that'll be a lot easier.

tonyw 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 0:15:13
#347 ]
Elite Member

Does Apple have a sub-culture of people who believe that the Mac Quadra was the "Last True Mac"?

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Wildstar128 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 0:45:24
#348 ]

@tonyw

Like my 68030 Macintosh Performa 450

Leo 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 0:54:19
#349 ]

Quote:

x86 wil; be faster but the problem with going x86 is everyone with a PC is going to expect to be supported but, they'll only be able to support a tiny fraction of PCs. With ARM they can pick a specific chip (e.g. OMAP, imx51, Snapdragon) and say we support this, they can then list the devices they're compatible with. From a support and development point of view that'll be a lot easier.

What prevents them from doing the same with x86 ? Like "we only support asus motherboard xx, with chipset xx, and geforce 8xx boards".

Nothing... See ? it's always the same... The day people will have accepted it's not about hardware and that we need to be humble, we'll have made a huge leap forward...

We all know and accept they won't be able to support everything out there. But even by limiting the hardware to *one* (and that's less than the choice people have now !) motherboard supplier, it will be a lot better... anyone will be able to buy a cheap board anywhere in the world, and at *any time*. And since it's a powerful board you'l be able take advantage it's not a waste of money, just to try the toy OS...

Wildstar128 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 6:07:54
#350 ]

@Leo

Most People who buy the x86 PCs are "Windows XP for Dummies" folks who have absolutely NO knowledge of computers and expects software written for their computers to run on every computer. Those who aren't Windows XP users already have an OS: AROS, Linux, ect. and that encompasses about everyone that is willing use another OS while using x86 hardware.

The market is crowded but is only a niche. Most people who doesn't use Windows that is willing to use another hardware is Mac users or Linux users or those here. There is more people on this forum who will use Amiga OS on PPC then you'll get out of those who uses x86 willing to use AmigaOS.

If you want an AmigaOS on multiple hw platform then you use a VM like P-code, JVM, Tao intent and then use some APIs - perhaps AA, SDL, ect. and build the OS GUI and Applications and Games and a 68K emu. Apps would be compiled to VM binary not native binary to be transported across platform or use some sort of fatbinary approach.

It shouldn't be too bad but when you ever focus too much into one chipset features then you lock yourself to a limited hardware and it is often bad form for even Windows apps to focus on one video card's chipset features.

Just some of my thoughts.

OldFart 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 8:29:25
#351 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@minator

Quote:
With ARM they can pick a specific chip (e.g. OMAP, imx51, Snapdragon) and say we support this, they can then list the devices they're compatible with.

And then having to endure all the complaints as to why device XYZ with ARM PocoPoco is not supported as that is the device they have just bought. Keep in mind you have to deal with people!
It'll be all the same, whatever they do, UNLESS it is a new type of device in the sence that the processor used is not overly mainstream, hence PPC!

It has been mentioned before, here as well as in other threads, when it comes to the very inspirational remark: "port to x86 or die!" (and now ARM or go bust), that porting to a different architecture is putting current developement to a full halt. Would you please realise that switching contexts on this scale may lead to a situation we have had to endure from the moment the A1's became available, what, 6 years ago?
Would you be pleased to go through all that hassle for another 5 or 6 years waiting for the code to become mature? Or would you prefer to have something palpable for X-mas this year even if it does not sport the specific processor of your choice?
*I* fully well know what I prefer!

And I said it before in this thread: the people behind Hyperion are fully capable about the decision making concerning the future for Amiga OS! I have full faith in their capabillities in that respect.

Oh, hang on! One more thought: what is the name of that once fabled processor that could execute both x86 code and PPC code and what ever else you could throw at it, by 'morphing' (whatever that meant and was implemented) the target processsor. Sony utilised that family in some of their early laptops, I think.
Maybe Sony is reviving that thing and suddenly we have a computer that runs x86 code next to PPC code. A perfect solution. Anyone interested? No? I thought as much...

OldFart

Arko 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 9:02:12
#352 ]

@Wildstar128

Quote:

Wildstar128 wrote:

If you want an AmigaOS on multiple hw platform then you use a VM like P-code, JVM, Tao intent and then use some APIs - perhaps AA, SDL, ect. and build the OS GUI and Applications and Games and a 68K emu. Apps would be compiled to VM binary not native binary to be transported across platform or use some sort of fatbinary approach.

VMs are crap ! Tao is bancrupt, AmigaDE/AA discontinued, and Suns was bought by Oracle after making Java Open Source and .net is bound to the Windows-Platform It seems no one has had luck with VMs.

Last edited by Arko on 20-Jul-2009 at 10:19 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

steril606 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 9:09:04
#353 ]

@tonyw

Quote:
Does Apple have a sub-culture of people who believe that the Mac Quadra was the "Last True Mac"?

Funny, I asked myself the same question yesterday. Why is that situation happening with the Amiga. On Apple everytime some complete paradigm shift (68K - >PPC, going from Mac Os to some BSD Derivate, jump from PPC to Intel) happened, everyone of the diehards jumped the ship as soon as possible to the new hallowed grounds, and never looked back.

You won't see any Apple people complaining how good the times with Mac OS 5 were. And if they do, they look at their brandnew Macbook Air (Intel Chip with a BSD derivate), and their tears won't last long.

I guess it's because there is a difference between a multibillion Dollar company like Apple giving you a direction to follow leading to something greater and then the situation we have with the Amiga.

A company with the name (Amiga Inc), that just messed up everything in the past who doesn't generally care, and a couple of companies involved like Hyperion, Acube or Genesi, who do meddle, but aren't strong enough on their own to enforce their vision for the platform.

Imagine Commodore were still around, as strong as they were back in the 80ies, and had some kind of plan for the Amiga.

We wouldn't have these kind of discussions..

Last edited by steril606 on 20-Jul-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Last edited by steril606 on 20-Jul-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 9:11:34
#354 ]

@Al4

Quote:

Al4 wrote:

ARM is going to get a bit of attention and be in shops later this year. Jumping on this bandwagon could gather a new bunch of users. PPC hardware isn't advertised anywhere generally visible.

Would you please be so kind and give us some resources for ARM boards that could compete with the Sam440 in price clock speed and flexibillity ?

Minimum specs:

- 600MHz
- FPU
- PCI Slot
- Standard form factor

Last edited by Arko on 20-Jul-2009 at 10:20 AM.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Leo 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 11:47:52
#355 ]

Quote:

Funny, I asked myself the same question yesterday. Why is that situation happening with the Amiga. On Apple everytime some complete paradigm shift (68K - >PPC, going from Mac Os to some BSD Derivate, jump from PPC to Intel) happened, everyone of the diehards jumped the ship as soon as possible to the new hallowed grounds, and never looked back.

In the beginning of each transition there is. When MacOSX first appeared there were a lot of people against it. Same goes for the Intel transition.

But Apple did what they had to do to convince most people. Each time. They made people buy their new machines. They made people develop for their machines since they could convice people to buy it...

Plus each time they're ready to *stop* supporting old machines. MacOS9 has been announced dead. Now Snow Leopard will be Intel only,...

If you want people to move on but still support classic (68k) development how can you do that ?

Leo 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 11:52:40
#356 ]

Quote:

If you want an AmigaOS on multiple hw platform then you use a VM like P-code, JVM, Tao intent and then use some APIs - perhaps AA, SDL, ect. and build the OS GUI and Applications and Games and a 68K emu.

I don't want AmigaOS on multiple hw platform. I don't care about the platform as long as it's fast enough and cheap. I don't care about 68k. It should have been dropped since a long long time. We have UAE is for nostalgic people.

All (not most) people buy x86 because it's cheap and fast. That's the common point. Amiga users bought the AOne/Sam/whatever because it runs AmigaOS, not because it's cool, fast, cheap,...

If AmigaOS was running on x86, current Amiga users would also run it. Most of them already have a PC (or mac) anyway.

damocles 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 13:29:44
#357 ]

@Arko

Quote:
Minimum specs:

- 600MHz
- FPU
- PCI Slot
- Standard form factor

Would you trade PCI Slot and standard form for portability of a netbook?

Arko 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 14:09:44
#358 ]

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Arko

Quote:
Minimum specs:

- 600MHz
- FPU
- PCI Slot
- Standard form factor

Would you trade PCI Slot and standard form for portability of a netbook?

Yes if you lower the price to less than 300Euro ( complete with commercial OS but without VAT )

Interesting 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 15:00:22
#359 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@itix

Quote:
The PC never copied anything from the Amiga at all. It always went its own route ignoring Amiga ever existed.

nope. MS just stole what they wanted. Remember the Amigia invented "mulitmedia". Sad thing is the IP owners at the time did nothing vs MS when they could have sued. They just didn't understand what they owned.

-pekr- 
Posted on 20-Jul-2009 15:06:26
#360 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:

Would you please be so kind and give us some resources for ARM boards that could compete with the Sam440 in price clock speed and flexibillity ?

Minimum specs:

- 600MHz
- FPU
- PCI Slot
- Standard form factor

Arko, you have to be kidding, right?

What about this one? And look at the bottom of the page, you will find some other. Add Genesi. Add any PhonePDA vendor with older ARMs or newer SnapDragons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Board

Freescale presenting ARM based devices. How is there they don't use PPC? Now wouldn't you buy such cute, production ready netbook for sub 250USD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhRJDIP9nNI&NR=1

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle