Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 VooDoo:  12 mins ago
 OldFart:  49 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 gryfon:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  MorphOS won't load my software...
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TJH132 
MorphOS won't load my software...
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 0:05:53
#1 ]

Hi all,

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up a Mac Mini and have been enjoying MorphOS (30 minutes at a time). Every day brings the system a LITTLE closer to my beloved Amithlon box which has been running daily since the introduction of that program.

Over the weekend, I was trying to move some programs over but kept running into problems with some of them. Maybe someone can help:

1. DrawStudio: My all-time favorite Amiga program loads just fine, but seconds after accessing the menus with a right-mouse-click, I get a complete system freeze. Only hard-boot is possible. I've tried a fresh install from the original commercial disc as well as complete directory copying from my known-to-work Amithlon version.

2. HD-Rec: Installs fine, even lets me choose the 'MorphOS' option, but the program never fully initializes. Soon after starting, a MorphOS requester appears saying the window has died and asks if I'd like to remove it. Clicking 'Yes' only clears the active window and HD-Rec remains functionless.

3. PageStream: I've tried a fresh install from the original disc as well as copying over my 'PageStream' folder, but double-clicking the icon does nothing. It doesn't do anything at all!

4. MPlayer: I downloaded the latest MorphOS version, renamed it 'GMPlayer' but double-clicking the icon doesn't start the program. I can use the shell and get it to work, however.

FIXED! 5. Ripper: Sweet little audio-ripper won't recognize the CD-Rom drive, even though I can still encode from the CD if I select the 'File' gadget and manually point it to the disc. Any chance to get auto-ripping? (On Amithlon, I've used SecondSpin for ages. It fails, however, claiming I don't have RexxMast running.)

I haven't even tried ImageFX! I'm all ears for suggestions!

TJH

Last edited by TJH132 on 18-Nov-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Ruud 
Re: MorphOS won't load my software...
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 0:22:22
#2 ]

@TJH132

1-3. Sorry don't use/have these programs...

4. I think in the most recent mplayer you activate the gui by icon tooltype rather than renaming it to gmplayer (as in previous versions). I could be remembering wrong though...

5. Works fine on my Mac mini. In ripper's prefs I've got cd-rom set to ide unit 1.

Last edited by Ruud on 18-Nov-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Last edited by Ruud on 18-Nov-2009 at 12:23 AM.

TJH132 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 1:00:54
#3 ]

@Ruud

I double-checked Ripper and found I had the wrong interface selected. It works now. Thanks!

Travis

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 2:56:34
#4 ]
Elite Member

Not sure about MorphOS software but you have to reset your clock to 1978 to run Amiga Apps.

$adddam 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 3:13:29
#5 ]

@TJH132

2: hd-rec just working fine with morphos. i remember that i also had some problems with it for the 1st time but it should work 100%. go play with its settings i suggest. i'd like to help you but im without morphos system these days so i cannot check it for you.

3: pagestream also works. i have not installed it under morphos but moved its dir from me amiga.

4: mplayer: try set the tooltype. maybe check if the icons type is project with mplayer as default tool, see if that works. and if i remember correctly you dont have to rename the executabel itslef but its icon only (mplayer for exe, gmplayer.info for icon, but i could be wrong with this:)

imagefx also works perfectly with morphos. you can use ppc modules as well.

@discreetfx

what the heck r u talkin about? or is it just kind of american humor?:)

Fab 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 3:44:55
#6 ]

@TJH132

3. You just need to click GMPlayer icon, nothing to rename. GMPlayer.info is indeed just a project icon expecting mplayer as default tool. So if you renamed mplayer to gmplayer but didn't overwrite mplayer.info to gmplayer.info, it would be normal that it fails, since the original gmplayer.info project icon expects a mplayer binary that is no longer there. :)

So, either don't rename anything and click GMPlayer icon, or if you really have something against 'GMPlayer' name, just open information window on mplayer icon, uncomment GUI tooltype (remove paranthesis), and run MPlayer icon directly.

And finally, if you need to enable gui mode from shell, you could also type "mplayer -gui 1".

amigadave 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 7:53:22
#7 ]

If you haven't already done so, rename and replace the MorphOS rexxsyslib.library file with the one from your AmigaOS3.9 CD.

Also, if you have already been told by other MorphOS users, except for the file mentioned above, never, EVER touch anything in the MOSSYS: directory. Put any user files and libraries into the SYS: directory instead of touching the MOSSYS: directory.

Enjoy! (and when you get tired of all that rebooting every 30 minutes, click on the RegTool and send off your 150 euros to the MorphOS Development Team for their hard work to bring you such a fine OS on old, but fast in Amiga terms, hardware).

ChrisH 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 8:56:37
#8 ]
Elite Member

@TJH132
1. I heard from another user that MorphOS 1.x could run DrawStudio, but that 2.x could not. So I think give-up on this for the moment.

Last edited by ChrisH on 18-Nov-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 9:34:40
#9 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH
Well, before giving up, there are plenty of compatibility options to play with. For example, one can try running it on a screen without Enhanced Layers enabled, and/or turn off TLSF memory subsystem, with the "SML" boot argument. Just for a test, to see if one of these helps.

Crumb 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 10:33:00
#10 ]
Elite Member

@TJH132

1. which DrawStudio version are you running? does the problem appear with ASL requesters? IIRC there's an option to emulate buggy behaviour of some libraries like ASL.

Do the problems appear with the FPU or non-FPU version? try this

Try ChainQ suggestions like turning off enhanced display and 3D features for DrawStudio screen to see if it helps.

In the worst case you could also try to disable the JIT Trance to see if it's an emulator problem.

2. IIRC I installed HD-Rec version from the web page to try it out on my Efika with the release of MorphOS 2.x and I didn't detected that problems (although I didn't spend as much time as I wanted with it)

Mo 
Posted on 18-Nov-2009 11:21:41
#11 ]

@TJH132

You have to run SmartWin before you start DrawStudio or else it will hang

TJH132 
Posted on 21-Nov-2009 5:00:27
#12 ]

@Mo

SmartWin did allow DrawStudio to operate without freezing the system, but menus and dialogues left behind blank spaces on the screen. I tried every combination of screen resolution and depth and got no solutions. Unfortunately, it seems DrawStudio isn't usable on MorphOS 2.4 (Mac Mini).

ImageFX copied over just fine but complains about missing a /gadgets/chooser.gadget. I copied it over to sys:classes/gadgets/ but it still doesn't find it. Dismissing the requester allows me to select a screen mode and use ImageFX without any problems. And it's FAST!

Anything using ARexx brings up a message saying Arexx implementation is incomplete, please use the old rexxsyslib.library, so I copied it over and still can get Arexx to work (in ImageFX, for example).

Installing the latest version of camd.library I have seems to have solved some HD-Rec issues. I wonder if Thilo knows the link on his website points to a VERY old version of camd.library. I had to turn on my secondary Amithlon box to find the most recent version (v40?). Now HD-Rec is complaining about some other missing library...

PageStream 4.1 doesn't do anything when I double-click the icon, both from a fresh install and after copying over the directory.

Does Aminetradio do anything? I installed the latest version and can't get it to find any radio stations, even when searching very generic terms like 'classical' and '80s'. No results are ever returned.

I use Wetter on the desktop but it simply will not save the changes I made to the configuration (F instead of C). Each time it's started, it's back to Celsius.

SoundFX copied over just fine and seems to work great, but I can't get the waveform to change from the default.

I have to say I'm satisfied with MorphOS, but some of these installation problems, while mostly trivial, hinder my full enjoyment. It's quite a pain searching other hard drives and the web looking for missing library, gadgets and workarounds.

Travis

Kronos 
Posted on 21-Nov-2009 8:58:18
#13 ]
Elite Member

@TJH132

Bout AminetRadio:
Select settings from menu, go to shoutsearch type in "http://classic.shoutcast.com"

Should do the trick.

cha05e90 
Posted on 21-Nov-2009 10:16:31
#14 ]

@TJH132

Quote:
It's quite a pain searching other hard drives and the web looking for missing library, gadgets and workarounds.

But this is of course not a specific problem of MorphOS - you would have the same/similar issues while migrating/installing your software library to a OS4.1 machine. That's the price you pay for moving on to one of the next gen machines... (but it's worth the effort, my opinion ...)

jacadcaps 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 13:37:36
#15 ]

@TJH132

I've figured out why DrawStudio deadlocks. Be assured that it'll work just fine with MorphOS 2.5 since I just added a workaround for it.

There might also be some patch to make it work soon (assuming Piru or I find the time to write it).

Fab 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 15:37:33
#16 ]

@TJH132

About rexx, you need to rename sys:morphos/libs/rexxsyslib.library to sys:morphos/libs/rexxsyslib.library_old (for instance), and then you copy os3.x rexxsyslib.library to sys:libs/.

TJH132 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 16:39:53
#17 ]

@jacadcaps

Hey thanks!

The rather expensive license key would be completely worth it if DrawStudio were able to run on MorphOS bug-free!

Thanks,

TJH

TJH132 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 16:49:39
#18 ]

@Fab

Yup, that did the trick, thanks!

Changing the name of the file in MOSSYS: seems to go against the "DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING IN MOSSYS:" directive that newbies get blasted with when first trying out MorphOS, doesn't it?

Here's the low-down so far:

GMPlay works from the icon.
ImageFX works just fine (though it still complains about the chooser.gadget [where I'm I supposed to put it?])
HD-Rec works after tracking down the correct camd.library.
PageStream still does nothing on double-click.
DrawStudio is GOING to work someday.
Ripper works after finding the correct device.

Thanks for all the help.

TJH

Fab 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 16:52:05
#19 ]

@TJH132

Yes, rexxsyslib is the exception to that rule. Original rexxsyslib works enough to allow applications that need it to work, but no rexx script can work since the interpreter isn't implemented yet.

About ImageFx, try putting that chooser.gadget to sys:classes/gadgets/

Last edited by Fab on 22-Nov-2009 at 04:54 PM.

TJH132 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 16:55:03
#20 ]

@Fab

Here's a couple system-related questions;

How do I 'snapshot' ASL (or the MorphOS version of it) file requesters. Each time I open a file in FXPaint or ImageFX the requester is too short or too narrow, or both. With the devices on the right-hand side, it become nearly unusable without dragging it out first.

Sometimes it seems like MorphOS isn't responding to the right-mouse click. Frequently I have to click the Ambient desktop or the Ibrowse window or whatever program I'm using to access the menus. One thing Amiga-like OSs always got right was the instant responsiveness to menus (and not a lot of eye-candy).

TJH

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle