Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  4 mins ago
 Frank:  11 mins ago
 OlafS25:  11 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  31 mins ago
 MickJT:  50 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  MED SoundStudio for Amiga must be saved!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Mr_DBUG 
Re: MED SoundStudio for Amiga must be saved!
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 21:21:10
#61 ]

@Trev

Not that I should contribute to the extreme temperature this thread took on but I have to say Amiga is more than a hobby

Profile     Report this post  
Trev 
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 21:44:09
#62 ]
Cult Member

@Mr_DBUG

For a very small number of individuals, it might be a job, and I wish them luck in their endeavors. For the rest of us, however, it is just a hobby.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

Kicko 
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 22:18:12
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Trev

Its not just a hobby for me either.
Its also not a job for me.

Its a everyday system as same as windows and macOS is for the rest of the people. The difference is we have not all the cool 3rd apps that they have but we would for sure like to have some of that :)

Arko 
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 22:23:19
#64 ]

@HKvalhe

Quote:

Ray lacks the right vision and spirit. He never had a true Amiga spirit. One that gives up too easy, never has a true soul and will. It's a fact..

Programmers are programming, because it is their profession. They want to earn money to pay their rent, food and all the stuff they need every day. They are no gods, they are no saints they are just humans.

That is the way the world is. Companies or developers that gives source to public under GPL are rare.

Especially on the AmigaOID systems, we have more abounded software than working programs. It would be nice if half of them would be Open-Sourced, but this is not the way the world is.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Arko 
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 22:33:39
#65 ]

@HKvalhe

Quote:

Is it wrong to give my own life to save the Amiga from disappearing?

Open your eyes, the Amiga has dissapeared. Amiga is a tradmark owned by Amiga Inc. Today no new produced computer has the name 'Amiga' on it.

So it doesn't change anything if you offer your life for for 'Amiga' everything would be the same.

----------

If you really want to do something, you could ask Ray if he gives the code to the public domaine himself or if there would be a possibillity for a 'buyout' of the code.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Trev 
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 22:51:38
#66 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

You've described a tool. Brand loyalty isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's nothing AmigaOS can do that another tool can't do just as well, albeit differently. What some folks lack around here is perspective, and I'm certainly not the first person to point it out.

EDIT: I'm not faulting anyone for their passion. Being an Amiga hobbyist wouldn't be half as entertaining without the Helgises and Doomies and other odd zealots.

Last edited by Trev on 05-Dec-2009 at 10:56 PM.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

HKvalhe 
Posted on 5-Dec-2009 23:53:20
#67 ]

@All

Well, about the TOS, many of them are easily misunderstanding, even from my point of view. I never wanted to break the rules, and many times i was not aware of them, really.

This Amiga site is supposed to be an open-minded forum where people talk openly about the Amiga, its' history, potensial, abillities, markets, development and its' future.

Ok, i can say that i don't know much about Ray and his background. Like too many of you, i jumped to a fast pre-conclusion that was based on first impression, which can often be wrong..

I don't know how it happened that i got 15 ARs, not even the past 14 i had in the past.

The site administrator sad that i could face a worse situation than ARs. What would they be? Will i become a fugitive? Will i have to suffer my failure of this site for the rest of my life, or could i be spared somehow?

For me, Amiga is more than a hobby. It's a lifestyle. It's a unique way of computing.
The way of computing even the most modern systems should learn from. Amiga is
unique in the way that it responds immerdiately in the way the user wants the Amiga to do, unlike with systems like Windows and MacOS which responds on their own when the system feel that way, often to a great frustration to the user. Is this the way computing should be? To not respond to the user, but on its' own, instead of letting the user desire what the OS should do and respond immerdiately to the user.
The AmigaOS does that, while the other OSes don't..

We don't know each other and it's deadly easy to get the wrong impression of each other. I can't be more sorry to say that this site has lost its' confidence and the respect it might have deserved from people, and when people here say that nothing
on the net should be taken personally, then it's an indication that they are not acting
seriously..

That's all i have to say..

HKvalhe 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 0:01:29
#68 ]

@Arko

You all claim to be so faithful for the Amiga. Doing this is stabbing the wealthy Amiga from behind, which is quite unnecessary...

Perhaps it has disappeared somehow, but that doesn't mean it's the end. It's just a new beginning...

You know? It doesn't matter what you all do anymore, or what happens to this site. I've had it with the sites' arrogance. What's the point of this site if it is going to be like this?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 1:59:41
#69 ]
Team Member

@HKvalhe

Quote:
I never wanted to break the rules, and many times i was not aware of them, really.

Its everyone's responsibility to read the TOS. With 17 ARs especially it would have been prudent to try to understand it at some point to avoid making the same mistakes again and again. Mods have tried to explain the issues to you over the years as well.

Quote:
Ok, i can say that i don't know much about Ray and his background. Like too many of you, i jumped to a fast pre-conclusion that was based on first impression, which can often be wrong..

But instead of apologizing or even just not continuing to insult people you kept at it today over various threads. Thats simply unacceptable.

Quote:
The site administrator sad that i could face a worse situation than ARs. What would they be? Will i become a fugitive? Will i have to suffer my failure of this site for the rest of my life, or could i be spared somehow?

As I mentioned right up front continuing to insult people could earn you a perma ban yes.

Quote:
We don't know each other and it's deadly easy to get the wrong impression of each other

All the more reason you should not declare that someone lacks a human soul, or that they should stick their privates in a tree like you did in that other thread of yours.

Amiga 1200

$adddam 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 9:39:36
#70 ]

@HKvalhe

i couldnt stand:)

"For me, Amiga is more than a hobby. It's a lifestyle. It's a unique way of computing."

what os currently do u use right now? do you have any amiga (besides the desired one written in your often changing signature:)?

Seer 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 12:12:22
#71 ]
Team Member

@All

Just a heads up, Helge is restricted for 20 days so is unable to reply (defend) himself. Please do consider that when posting.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 13:43:09
#72 ]
Elite Member

@HKvalhe

Hey there. One thing I noticed about this thread is that on the link listed it doesn''t say much. Did I miss it or do you need to log in and see? Okay understandably you can't answer that right now.

But, I do see the points others have made here. I agree that the initial statement you made was a bit harsh. I've gone over the top at times as well. The difference is that although we can't change what happened we can take it back. That Edit button is a great tool.

The whole situation with MED now is a bit senstive. Alfred is sick and that's bad enough. And now I read Ray is sick as well. I don't want to hear this news more then anybody else but we're all human apart from Amiga and so we have to deal with it.

Now, I leant a lesson here about the TOS, and that is it extends outside the AW perimeter. And includes indirect insulting. Now, this has me worried, as a few of us insult Amiga Inc. Will suddenly the mods catch on and we will see ARs flying all over the place?

tomazkid 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 14:06:01
#73 ]
Team Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Now, this has me worried, as a few of us insult Amiga Inc. Will suddenly the mods catch on and we will see ARs flying all over the place?

The TOS jurisdiction is within this site.

But, regarding insults and threats against a person outside aw.net, that is moderated as well.

Making jokes or criticizing companies like AInc/Hyperion/Microsoft/Apple/any company, is tolerated, if you stay within "common sense".

Making threats like "XX should hang high, XX should be shot, XX is a total idiot, and such is not, no matter if the person is a member here or not.
Just consider what you can say IRL in public without risking being prosecuted for making threats, and use it when writing in forums while writing about XX.

Last edited by tomazkid on 06-Dec-2009 at 02:20 PM.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 17:13:43
#74 ]
Team Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:

Now, I leant a lesson here about the TOS, and that is it extends outside the AW perimeter. And includes indirect insulting. Now, this has me worried, as a few of us insult Amiga Inc. Will suddenly the mods catch on and we will see ARs flying all over the place?

We have always covered what would be considered personal attacks in the TOS, under the Flame/Attacks section:
Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users.

I cannot say if Ray personally visits this site, but that doesn't mean we would allow the kind of posts against him that have been made - particularly as they are both uncalled for and unsubstantiated.

In general, if you wouldn't do it in real life, don't do it here. The only difference is something said may only be heard by a few, something typed and posted is a bit more prominent and so much more damaging.

Trev 
Posted on 6-Dec-2009 20:18:45
#75 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Uh oh. You had better ban me, too. I was quite sarcastic towards him. (I was set off by "know your place," though, which I find highly offensive. I don't believe in souls, so those comments never bothered me.)

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 8-Dec-2009 15:47:29
#76 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Well, to be fair, I thought he got suspend for the thread he started below(see link), not for stuff outside AW.net and also not for anything in this thread(well not directly anyway)

He does sort of "flip out" in this thread he created...

See posts #4 and #5 and #11 and #13... really they let him post for quit a while in there...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30189&forum=4&16

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle