Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  25 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  36 mins ago
 VooDoo:  55 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  XMOS - what is it all about?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
neonlite 
Re: XMOS - what is it all about?
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 14:20:41
#161 ]

@Hyperionmp

just produce some killer App that uses the capabilities of Xena to go bundeled with X1000 or all this effort and momentum hype will be in vain...

I see new users interested (see post from MacSociety for ex.),which even never used an Amiga...

but with a system and an OS only,they won't "bite the worm"...
at least not in significant numbers to make the Leap for AOS4

you must show out the edge Difference for which they would buy and become a user...

Profile     Report this post  
BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 15:28:55
#162 ]

@neonlite

The X1000 board probably has many industrial uses it could be sold for. For instance, utilising Xena, it becomes simple to develop fast communications data conversion between proprietary protocols used in manufacturing equipment. That is, if I understood correctly what one manufacturer presenting at XLinkers had on his wish list. Obviously, there are many uses for XCores on their own, but there are likely to be many uses for leveraging a full desktop computer architecture to obtain the best of both worlds, of both parallelism and conventional software logic.

This probably isn't a big deal to the general consumer though, but does raise hope that these alternative markets will allow them to lower costs through economies of scale.

Looking to the future, it is within the realm of possibility, that the next generation of XMOS chips will feature a faster clock rate, more cores, more memory and an FPU. That we may be upgrading our X1000s by purchasing a card containing 16 or more of these XMOS chips, you simply plug into your Xorro port. And, with the potential to attach one or more of these XMOS boards together, suddenly your PPC chip won't be the thing you'll be most interested in, it will be your co-processors. Which seems only fitting for an Amiga.

minator 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 21:22:27
#163 ]
Cult Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
No immediate connection with the old bridgeboards from Commodore.

Hmm, wonders if a custom Minimig in in the works...

retro 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 21:30:15
#164 ]

@minator

102400 MIPS with 256 cores right ???

isent 102400 MIPS about 2,3 gigahertz ????

but yeah sweet iff the main cpu runs at 2.5

hey maby it will be posible to trow in a cpu card on an pci slot too ???

Last edited by retro on 13-Jan-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 22:29:12
#165 ]
Team Member

@umisef

Quote:
Anyone got any idea what the idle power consumption of the XCore development kits? And how it compares to, say, an Arduino?

Dunno about the single core one, I have a first generation quad core one (was bought at a conference before it got released) and it is hot as bleeding hell. I hope they've sorted that out now.

ne_one 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 23:05:02
#166 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
I find it difficult to believe that they didn't start on this project before contacted by A-eon

I think many people are likely overestimating the contribution that A-eon has made to the hardware. Sourcing out an appropriate solution in no way diminishes its value and is much wiser given the economy of scale.

Conversely, A-eon/Hyperion may also be able to contribute expertise from the software side and secure additional revenue streams from the supplier.

Karlos 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 23:33:08
#167 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

I'm guessing that Hyperion have some notion of what they want to do with the XMOS chip already. It's a comparatively inexpensive component, but you wouldn't put one on a motherboard just for the hell of it.

Secondly, the board probably isn't any kind of rebranded development platform for designing XMOS apps, since you'd not need a full ATX board with dual DDR, PCIe etc. for that.

As for what the device may be used for, all the suggestions of 68k emulation, custom chip emulation, stream decoding etc. seem to be impractical propositions to me, given that the device has a relatively low instruction throughput, internal memory and there's not much in that department that you'd not be able to achieve faster in software on the main CPU.

Whatever it is to be used for, I expect it'll probably be more to do with having low latency and flexible IO configurations than raw processing speed.

Last edited by Karlos on 13-Jan-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Hammer 
Re: XMOS - what is it all about
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 23:42:44
#168 ]
Elite Member

@vidarh

Quote:

Irrelevant. The Xcore isn't intended to run an OS,

Oh well, it’s an extra I/O chip.

On the subject of RT, I don’t recall AOS4.x being a proper RTOS.

Quote:

and I don't see a rush of Amiga users flocking to X86 to run IcAROS. Even if there is, the Xcore in the X1000 obviously has no bearing on users that choose to run IcAROS on off the shelf x86 hardware, so continuing to discuss the x86 in that context is pretty pointless

Did you forget AW.net's user surveys/polls on computing hardware platforms?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/xoopspoll/pollresults.php?poll_id=92

Last edited by Hammer on 13-Jan-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 13-Jan-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 13-Jan-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 13-Jan-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 13-Jan-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Ancalimon 
Posted on 13-Jan-2010 23:54:18
#169 ]

@Karlos

Quote:

Karlos wrote:
As for what the device may be used for, all the suggestions of 68k emulation, custom chip emulation, stream decoding etc. seem to be impractical propositions to me, given that the device has a relatively low instruction throughput, internal memory and there's not much in that department that you'd not be able to achieve faster in software on the main CPU.

Whatever it is to be used for, I expect it'll probably be more to do with having low latency and flexible IO configurations than raw processing speed.

I guess it'll be extremely useful in about 100 years. For example, calculating which parts of a spaceship's shield it should give more strength to in case of an attack on the spaceship. (that should need really low latency calculation)
But today I can't really see any uses (right now)

Hammer 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 0:03:58
#170 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:

After seeing you participating in every Amiga thread (including those relating to classics) with an ALL-OUT crusade at demonstrating how Amiga is inferior to PCs I believe you have a serious problem

Another a.org joystick rerun...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 0:22:02
#171 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:
On the subject of RT, I don?t recall AOS4.x being a proper RTOS.

AmigaOS does not need to be, XMOS can be programmed to run by it self, and do things AmigaOS does not even know about.

I suggest you check out what XMOS is used for on youtube,
I know there is video there showing XMOS used as Oscilloscope, if thats not real time then I don't know what is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_rxEcsORyU

XMOS chip can be used to do stuff normally you waste CPU cycles on.
not even MS Windows is RTOS.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2010 at 12:22 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 0:37:52
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:
Did you forget AW.net's user surveys/polls on computing hardware platforms?

I think thats irrelevant,

I used A PC before did buy my AmigaONE-XE, so that comment is irrelevant and off topic, and given Hyperion stands on issue way even bring it up.

Many don't even know AmigaOS4 exits, some don't even care for the OS, and some just like to emulate classic games on WinUAE, even DOSBOX will do that.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 0:59:28
#173 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Hammer

Quote:
On the subject of RT, I don?t recall AOS4.x being a proper RTOS.

AmigaOS does not need to be, XMOS can be programmed to run by it self, and do things AmigaOS does not even know about.

But then you still have the issues raised in post no. 157 (and several times before). The RT capabilites rely only on the things running directly on the XMOS. Whenever the XMOS chip has to communicate with the host system it depends on an interrupt and the according handling of that by the host system. So I still fail to see the benefit in soldering it to the mobo instead of using a PCI(e) card- or I2C, centronics or RS232 or even usb (the latter a bit slow and complicated though).
The usb kits start at 50 US$.

minator 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 1:08:49
#174 ]
Cult Member

@retro

I don't mean the XMOS chips doing the emulation, I'm wondering if they are doing a Minimig on a board with the XMOS chip acting as an interface between the two. You'd send video through the PCIe slot and the rest would go via the XMOS chip.

I reckon the PPC will run around 2GHz.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 1:24:45
#175 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

You do know that XMOS chip can run treads don't you, as showed you in the youtube video, can handle to tow way communications, input analog, and output on Ethernet at the same time, it all depends on the how the XMOS pins are connected, as we did not design the motherboard we don't know if will conflict whit motherboard bus or not.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 2:08:09
#176 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

But this nice oscilloscope demonstrations just shows that it works nicely on teh XMOS chip, but doesn't do any magic with the host OS, i.e doesn't make the OS an RTOS. The oscilloscope on its own works RT, but it does so regardless how it is hooked up to the host. And that's still my main point: Where is the benefit of soldering the chip directly to a (rather obscure) mobo, instead of just using cheap usb boards like the guy who did the oscilloscope?
He did it with an usb kit and a laptop. No special mainboard involved.
I did time critical things with a UEI pci PowerDAQ I/O board some years ago. I didn't had to care whether windows is stupid, you could program event driven - as long as you stay on the board and don't need windows in between. I.e.not rely on a calculation done on the host processor triggered by an event, because then you are in trouble (read mess around with windows timing (which is no fun at all)).
And when I recently migrated my work computer from a P4 to a C2D I just plugged the PCI card and inserted it to the bog standard new maschine from Dell.
But a company like UEI, NI or DT may like the XMOS - for their DAQ boards this chip seems pretty nice.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 3:30:18
#177 ]

@Zylesea

Yeah, but I wonder what happens when you have Xena applications controlled from an OS, and if that somehow expands possibilities somewhat. It may seem like overkill for a lot applications we can conceive of, but a complete desktop architecture with its oodles of RAM and interactive possibilities might be a must for some markets. Look at the uses for general motherboards in a lot of areas and then think of how they can be enhanced by having real-time IO coupled with a UI that allows for configurability on the fly. You may argue that PCs, with XMOS chips over USB or PCIe or whatever, can do the same thing cheaper, but perhaps in a lot of instances money isn't the issue. If XMOS gets behind it as their preferred solution for a particular embedded problem, then hopefully there'll be a ready made niche. We probably won't see those sales as X1000 sales, but at least it could be something that will lower costs in the long run.

Zylesea 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 9:41:34
#178 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Sur, money is not the only issue, but also convenience and versatility:
Where are the standard development tools on OS4 (Eclipse? Matlab?)?
How to move your XMOS application from a random computer to another random computer?
How to use it on a laptop?
And so on. These usb kits are cheaper and offer more versatility and convenience. And in those cases you need a better connection to the host than usb, pci will do and still preserve most of the advantages. I need a lot of imagination to see the integration to the mobo as a substancial or outstanding advantage.

vidarh 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 10:08:53
#179 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
I need a lot of imagination to see the integration to the mobo as a substancial or outstanding advantage.

The main advantage is *not* technical - you're right, it could most likely just be put on PCI or we could use the USB dev kits, unless A-Eon are integrating it far more tightly than we so far have any reason to believe.

The main advantage is to ensure *every X1000 has one*, which creates at least the possibility of a community growing up around using them on the X1000, or people coming up with cool apps that depend on them. Maybe it won't happen and it'll remain unused by 99% of X1000 users, or maybe it'll be a resounding success - we can't really know until it's out and a reasonable amount of people have had a chance to play with it.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 10:34:15
#180 ]
Hyperion

@vidarh

The integration is pretty tight.

Moreover, I very much doubt it would be practical to put several XMOS chips on a USB card unless you intend to limit yourself to a rater limited number.

Yes, you can put an XMOS chip on a PCI card but you'd be taking up an extra slot which could be used for other purposes.

Quite frankly, I fail to see why putting the 7 USD XMOS chip onboard as opposed to inserting it in USB or PCI slot is a big deal.

If that logic were followed, all I/O should be located on a PCI, PCI-E or USB bus because you have SATA, USB 2.0, ethernet, soundcards etc. based cards/controllers which fit into these slots. Why is anyone still making Southbridges?

I recall the days when the Atari ST did not ship standard with a blitter. Result: games companies would target the lowest common denominator and would not use the blitter because it was not guaranteed to be present. Awful Atari ST to Amiga ports were made (like Outrun) which did not use the Amiga blitter because the Atari ST version did not either and it was deemed not worthy of the extra expense.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle