Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  14 secs ago
 Rob:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  13 mins ago
 amigakit:  50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Blender benchmark time! - hey new X5000 users join in !
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
itix 
Re: Blender benchmark time!
Posted on 31-Jan-2010 22:49:01
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

Quote:

The most common >1 GB RAM size is 512 MB, IMHO few have 256 MB. Only the Efika systems have a limit of 128 MB and have that amount by standard.

My Pegasos I had only 128MB while my Pegasos II got 756MB. But I have to say it is not relevant because it is almost impossible to have any use for 256MB of RAM even...

Last edited by itix on 31-Jan-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 31-Jan-2010 23:01:04
#102 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Jarod3d wrote:
Hi all!
Quote:

klx300r wrote:
nah the person is obviously an old Atari fan

yes I owned a Atari 1040ST but my first computer was a Commodore VC-20 and it is still waiting in cellar for reactivation....

welcome Jarod3d & thanks for the Blender benchmark site ..hehe my first computer was a VIC-20 too & I regret selling it to get a C-64 back in 84 (though my original 64 is still in use today)

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Karlos 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 0:12:30
#103 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@itix

Quote:
My Pegasos I had only 128MB while my Pegasos II got 756MB. But I have to say it is not relevant because it is almost impossible to have any use for 256MB of RAM even...

Oh, I dunno. Memory usage invariably creeps upwards with newer apps. I've got 128MB in my A1 and with a few image-heavy OWB tabs open it starts to become evident that a bit more wouldn't hurt. However, I take your point that having gigabytes of ram on an AmigaOS machine is a bit overkill presently.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 9:08:10
#104 ]
Cult Member

@Varthall
Quote:
does Blender require MorphOs 2.x or it runs on 1.x as well? What about classic machines with MOS, does Blender run on them?

If i'm not mistaken, first Blender release for MorphOS predated MorphOS 2.x itself, so at least the initial versions should run on 1.4.x. No clue about recent 2.5.0 alpha test builds, though...

I guess at least older Blender releases should work on PowerUP as well, but very slowly, and only with GRex+Voodoo cards (if it works with them, at all), because CyberVisionPPC and BVisionPPC doesn't have native 3D/OpenGL support in MorphOS, and Radeon is not supported on PowerUP.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 9:13:13
#105 ]
Cult Member

@Varthall
Quote:
Pegasos II G4 1000 MHz
Open Desktop Workstation G4 1000 MHz

These two are exactly the same. Open Desktop Workstation is only a marketing name for Pegasos II/G4 mainboards sold as complete configurations. But the motherboard itself is 100% the same, as far as i know.

(Just the same way you don't make a distinction between Efika and Open Client Workstation. They're the same, Efika is the mainboard, also sold separately, OCW is the complete configuration.)

rigo 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 9:38:14
#106 ]
Cult Member

@Karlos

Quote:

However, I take your point that having gigabytes of ram on an AmigaOS machine is a bit overkill presently.

Couple that with the fact most AmigaOS customers seem to be hung up on having most of the installed memory free and doing nothing, it's not only overkill, but completely pointless.

The whole reason for throwing heaps of memory in a computer is to have the system use it for caching, typically speeding up various aspects of that system. Having 1GB RAM with 926MB free is a total waste of the installed memory.

Simon

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

KimmoK 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 10:03:49
#107 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

Any information about caching add-ons being developed for AOS4?

@thread

I'm a bit puzzled on how much memory current apps on AOS4 tend to use. I hope AOS4 will not be suffocated by linux&windows kind of bloat.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Varthall 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 11:13:27
#108 ]

@Chain-Q

Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:
@Varthall
Quote:
does Blender require MorphOs 2.x or it runs on 1.x as well? What about classic machines with MOS, does Blender run on them?

If i'm not mistaken, first Blender release for MorphOS predated MorphOS 2.x itself, so at least the initial versions should run on 1.4.x. No clue about recent 2.5.0 alpha test builds, though...

Ok, so it's a good idea to keep Morphos 1.x in the list.

Quote:

I guess at least older Blender releases should work on PowerUP as well, but very slowly, and only with GRex+Voodoo cards (if it works with them, at all), because CyberVisionPPC and BVisionPPC doesn't have native 3D/OpenGL support in MorphOS, and Radeon is not supported on PowerUP.

I'd keep PowerUP machines out then, the benchmark file might not even have enough memory to render on 128MB machines anyway.

Quote:

Quote:
Pegasos II G4 1000 MHz
Open Desktop Workstation G4 1000 MHz

These two are exactly the same. Open Desktop Workstation is only a marketing name for Pegasos II/G4 mainboards sold as complete configurations. But the motherboard itself is 100% the same, as far as i know.

(Just the same way you don't make a distinction between Efika and Open Client Workstation. They're the same, Efika is the mainboard, also sold separately, OCW is the complete configuration.)

Another grey area I guess :) Better to leave ODW out then, as OCW isn't in the list.

Varthall

broadblues 
Posted on 1-Feb-2010 11:28:07
#109 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@karlos

Quote:

However, I take your point that having gigabytes of ram on an AmigaOS machine is a bit overkill presently.

I take from that so far all you used blender for is rendering the default cube.... Start doing something "serious" with it and memory usage will go up, before I started porting blender to amigaos I was using it on my Aone with 256Mb of ram, the project I was working required about 300Mb to render, so linux starting swapping, mega slow down. Transfering to my P3 server with 512Mb then made an enormous difference. Blender does not play well with swap under linux (at least not on debian PPC on an amigaone).

@Rigo
Quote:

The whole reason for throwing heaps of memory in a computer is to have the system use it for caching, typically speeding up various aspects of that system. Having 1GB RAM with 926MB free is a total waste of the installed memory.

I'd partially disaggree, I want lots of memory so that I can work on large projects. Being able to view / edit numbers of full sized photos in ImageFX rather than just one or two etc. But I agree that never used memory is pointless.

jPV 
Posted on 3-Feb-2010 8:12:46
#110 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

broadblues wrote:

@Rigo
Quote:

I'd partially disaggree, I want lots of memory so that I can work on large projects. Being able to view / edit numbers of full sized photos in ImageFX rather than just one or two etc. But I agree that never used memory is pointless.

But as the memory doesn't cost anything nowadays in practise, why not? :) Better have more than you need just in case... one day you might want to run some demanding app or game :) And programs aren't getting smaller...

Karlos 
Posted on 3-Feb-2010 11:30:07
#111 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@broadblues

Quote:
take from that so far all you used blender for is rendering the default cube.... Start doing something "serious" with it and memory usage will go up, before I started porting blender to amigaos I was using it on my Aone with 256Mb of ram, the project I was working required about 300Mb to render, so linux starting swapping, mega slow down.

That's just it, my A1 has nowhere near enough memory (128MB) to use blender. However, even with a couple of GB, I doubt that I'd personally use the A1 for rendering as I can use the linux box for that, which rendered the test scene in less than half a minute.

klx300r 
Posted on 1-May-2010 2:18:08
#112 ]
Elite Member

ok just treid the benchmark with the new Update 2 release and I'm sad to say my system is almost 1 minute SLOWER with Update 2

Andy, is there anything that can be done on Blender's end ??

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

COBRA 
Posted on 1-May-2010 2:59:35
#113 ]

@klx300r

You can have different results depending on the screen depth/resolution you use Blender on as well as on what is running in the background. I actually got more than a minute differences without updating anything in the system.

klx300r 
Posted on 1-May-2010 3:28:23
#114 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

I realize that but I haven't changed anything at all on my system other than install Update 2.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

recedent 
Posted on 1-May-2010 5:58:13
#115 ]

@klx300r

OK, I've made this benchmark on my MorphOS machines and tried adding the results to the list. I find it a bit odd that the result of my Efika (00:35:05.82) appeared immediately (although I'm sure I typed the name of the computer correctly - don't know why it doesn't appear on the list), while the result of Mini 1.5 (00:06:18.10) is still waiting. Oh, and there is no way I could choose 2.46 version number - there was only "2.48 final" to choose (thus the comment).

sundown 
Posted on 1-May-2010 6:13:14
#116 ]
Elite Member

The benchmark rendered 14 sec faster on my micro ( 10:52.44 ), but I get a requester asking for volume usr: on startup. I have to cancel it 4 times before blender starts.

Seiya 
Posted on 1-May-2010 12:55:36
#117 ]

11:36:49 with Athlon Thunderbird 900 mhz with 256 MB PC133, XP SP3 and Blender 2.49b dynamic

Last edited by Seiya on 01-May-2010 at 12:56 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 1-May-2010 13:47:07
#118 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@sundown

I take it that you didn't get that request for USR: before update 2?

Short term workarround would be to assign USR: to ram: if you don't have the SDK installed. USR: is defined in the SDK setup which is probably why I missed it.

broadblues 
Posted on 1-May-2010 14:06:57
#119 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

It's occuring because it's trying to load libtiff.so which doesn't exist. Blender searches for it along a unix style lib search path. I'll fix that. Not why it handles libtiff differently ie tries to load it itself rather than through the standard dynamic linking process. Perhaps somthing about libtiff.so on other systems is different.

Wol 
Posted on 1-May-2010 16:11:32
#120 ]

@Thread

A bit off topic here, but what is Blenders user interface response like with OS4 .

It's sluggish on a dual core Mac, totally unusable on my wifes dual core Windows box,
and a bit weird on Linux.

But, hey Blenders weird anyway.

Wol.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle