Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  48 mins ago
 michalsc:  52 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  x1000 is Vaporware
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomas 
Re: x1000 is Vaporware
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:45:51
#21 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic
Isnt this a bit early to call it vaporware?
We are still at least months away from possible release date.

Profile     Report this post  
corto 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:48:27
#22 ]

@AmigaHeretic : Even if they didn't broadcast all information about the board, that does not mean this product does not exist. It's maybe to early and maybe they want to do another marketing hit (the enigma at new year's time was pretty good !).

About ACube, that doesn't break the partnership, OS4 will just run on 2 kinds of machines : Sam440 and X1000. Their power is not the same, the market they target is not the same. I agree that the announcement may slow down the Sam440 sales but if ACube has nothing prepared like a next generation board, how to blame Hyperion getting another partner to bring a more modern machine to the market ?

@AmigaHeretic : I suspect the fear made you writing your post and I understand that we all cross fingers with the hope to see it on our desks.

Last edited by corto on 10-Feb-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:49:23
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X
Quote:
Myself, I wouldn't call the X1000 vapourware.. but it certainly was unwise of Hyperion/A-eon to make an announcement.. if you're trying to be the next Apple, don't announce until the product is shipping.

Amazing.. Some people like you complain always no matter what. People complain because of lack of information and now you even complain when they actually do release information?

I think it was a good idea by hyperion.The project was talked about in a positive way on all kinds of non amiga sites and forums. We also had people coming and registering here just because they heard about the x1000 project.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:51:17
#24 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

I'm just concerned as this is another one of these "Announcement of an Announcment" type things.

The CPU situation as one example. Reall they are announcing that they are going to eventually announce what CPU AmigaOS will be running on at some point in the future.

number6 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:52:33
#25 ]
Elite Member

@corto

Quote:
I agree that the announcement may slow down the Sam440 sales but if ACube has nothing prepared like a next generation board, how to blame Hyperion getting another partner to bring a more modern machine to the market ?

Not trying to be picky, but the Sam440(ep) has been discontinued.
And hopefully my post on the prior page of this thread illustrates the conditions to be met for Acube regarding the flex, to continue development on the high end board.

Now, if you or anyone else is interested in obtaining a Sam440ep, this information is important:

m3x quote:
Quote:
you're right, after 3 years, the Sam440ep mini-itx version is out of production, but there are still (few) boards available from resellers and directly from us the 600 mhz version.

We can still produce it if we receive a bulk order of at least 30-50 boards.

Last edited by number6 on 10-Feb-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 10-Feb-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:52:47
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Please note that in the 15 years the company that has designed the AmigaOne X1000 has not failed to deliver on a single project.

Acube delivered on the Sam, its a shame you dumped them as your hardware partner.

Acube has been dumped?? Do you have any source for that claim? Why cant two hardware partners co exist? The x1000 is aimed at high end market while current acube boards are for low end market. There will still be people who buy Sam simply because it is more affordable.

People have moaned for years about lack of fast/modern hardware and hyperion are now finally doing something about it. Acube never planned a really high end system afaik.

People moaned about the lack of competition during AmigaONE days as well, but now suddenly complain even when we get some competiton in the amiga market.

Last edited by Tomas on 10-Feb-2010 at 07:54 PM.

serk118 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:55:36
#27 ]
Cult Member

the X1000 will probably cost $2500,

Why is it made from gold?

Its an ppc version of x86 hw without anything new or extra.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:56:09
#28 ]

@Tomas
Quote:

I think it was a good idea by hyperion.The project was talked about in a positive way on all kinds of non amiga sites and forums. We also had people coming and registering here just because they heard about the x1000 project.

Well, I am concerned about not telling what the CPU is? What would they realistically do this? ( by realistic I mean no, they want to keep it secret so Apple don't buy all the stock up or crazy stuff like that)

I mean, I sort of doubt it's brand new CPU that only Hyperion will be given access to. Runs of ~ 1000 cpus is unheard of unless you want to pay a lot of money or the CPU is based on 6502 or something.

The advantage of telling what CPU it is (aside from looking a little more upfront) is that people could get an idea of what CPU they might be programming for in a few months and get some documentation on it so they are ready to go.

The only logical reason I could see of "not" telling what it is, would be that it's not 100% sure that it can/will be used and might change. Which means the MB is farther away then we are led to believe,

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 19:57:59
#29 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

Quote:
Acube has been dumped?? Do you have any source for that claim? Why cant two hardware partners co exist? The x1000 is aimed at high end market while current acube boards are for low end market. There will still be people who buy Sam simply because it is more affordable.

A fairly educated guess would be that both markets can't be sustained in this small community. By the looks of it, it could hardly sustain SAM sales. Of course that's just a guess...

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:00:59
#30 ]

@Amiga_3k

Quote:

Amiga_3k wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Also, keep in mind that it is rather common for motherboard delivering companies to take reference designs by, say, Intel or AMD, as a base to make their 'own' hardware. Say Asus takes a reference design of Intel and turn it into a mass product, would it be a Intel board or an Asus board? My point is that, whoever pays the money for the design of new hardware and gets it on the market has the right to put its name on it. That's how big companies like Philips tend to work: They have an idea, write down the specs, ask a dozen of development companies to deliver a quote and grant the development to whoever is the cheapest. What brand would appear? Philips'!

Give Hyperion, erm... sorry, a-eon some space and some time and see what will end up on the shelves.

I 100% agree. If this is "Hyperion brand" and they are just having a 3rd party design and manufacture then I would not expect that 3rd party to make any statements ( I would hope they wouldn't actually)

Maybe, A-EON == Hyperion.

If the board is not Hyperion's brand, but .they are porting AOS4 to another companies board, it seems strange to announce another companies hardware, yet not hear anything from that company.

So it sounds like this is Hyperion badged motherboard under Hyperion owned name "A-EON" and they are contracted with a 3rd party to have boards made to their brand name.

If that is the case, then the lack of info lies solely on the sholders of Hyperion.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:02:34
#31 ]

@zerohero

Quote:

zerohero wrote:
@Tomas

Quote:

A fairly educated guess would be that both markets can't be sustained in this small community. By the looks of it, it could hardly sustain SAM sales. Of course that's just a guess...

So is Hyperion == A-EON??

So is Hyperion getting into the hardware business themselves?

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:05:41
#32 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

If you paid attention you would have noticed number6's posts in this thread. He posted links and explained about A-Eon.

In short, A-Eon is Ben Hermans, Trevor Dickinson and Anthony Moorley.

Ben and Trevor visit this site, Mr. Moorley we know nothing about, really.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:06:33
#33 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

I'm just concerned as this is another one of these "Announcement of an Announcment" type things.

The CPU situation as one example. Reall they are announcing that they are going to eventually announce what CPU AmigaOS will be running on at some point in the future.

I know the feeling.. But i still think most amigans prefer some information over none at all.
But i know the feeling with all the dissapointments with vaporware products in the past. At least hyperion is a company that has delivered in the past, which makes them quite a bit more trustworthy.

These days i always keep low expectations anyways so that way i wont really get dissapointed.

number6 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:09:39
#34 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
If you paid attention you would have noticed number6's posts in this thread. He posted links and explained about A-Eon.

My fault for posting facts.
I forgot that the goal here is massive speculation. heh.

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:10:41
#35 ]
Team Member

@number6

If at least it could have been THE FACTS, then you could have posted on Moobunny...

DAX 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:13:05
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Thread
We should make a poll on "Most useless threads ever" here on AW, I believe this one would get a pretty high score...

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:16:45
#37 ]
Team Member

@DAX

Actually there's been some very good info in this thread. Most people have ignored it though.

realize 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:17:45
#38 ]

@DAX

How do you say "useless" maybe this will put pressure on Hyperion to actually give real info on the board and show some pics - probably because a proto doesnt even exsist yet... so I guess it can be considered "vapour" atm.

Its also quite mystifying how anyone could spend over $1k for anything that runs Amiga OS as there is NO SOFTWARE.

The board could be somewhat useful if you could dual boot into linux and run that nicely, but I'd love to know who in the world Hyperion is going to have do Linux kernel for that board??

Hans 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:21:01
#39 ]
Elite Member

Wow. This didn't take long for people to start calling it vapourware and complaining about an "announcement about an announcement." How long before we go full circle and get back to "why do they not tell us what they're up to?"

Hans

Returner 
Posted on 10-Feb-2010 20:21:36
#40 ]

@DAX

Quote:

by DAX on 10-Feb-2010 21:13:05

@Thread
We should make a poll on "Most useless threads ever" here on AW, I believe this one would get a pretty high score...

Or perhaps "most useless poster ever"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle