Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  9 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 Tpod:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 36 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why can't AROS catch on?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
clusteruk 
Re: Why can't AROS catch on?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 10:03:10
#101 ]

@phase5fan

Quote:

AROS has not that.
Amiga OS clone which is perhaps twice as fast with the fastest PC,
but is incompatible is obsolete and redundant.

I guess I cannot interest you in an Aros rocks tea shirt then

Lets just say that we like our "incompatible, obsolete, redundant" (your words and not ours) system and any time your coders want some code to help on your platforms it is always in the Aros archive to save your developers time. As it has been in the past and will be in the future.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 10:08:29
#102 ]
Elite Member

@phase5fan

Quote:
Amiga OS clone which is perhaps twice as fast with the fastest PC,

You underestimate power of current CPUs. Even Core 2 Quad Q6600 in 3 years old computer of my brother is 10 times faster than 440EP in SAM.

Although I prefer other solution, I must admit that AROS progressed very well in last years. It is useable OS, it only lacks applications. However, WinUAE with OS3.9 is more suited to my needs than current state of AROS (and its applications).

terminills 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:21:42
#103 ]
AROS Core Developer

@paolone

I have to say I agree with you 100%. As a matter of fact I gave away all of my amiga's except for my A4000 which sits in a box unused because I have no need for legacy apps. Aros does everything I need. I'm not a gamer and if I was to play games I would use my Xbox 360 or my PS3.

Tim

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Hisoka999 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:26:50
#104 ]

@gonegahgah

Quote:
One of the things I like about the Amiga OS, that is lacking from both Linux & BeOs, are unlimited screens. Both of those require the number of screens to be manually set.

And that is good for what?

Quote:
I don't know what other limitations there are in this similar vein. Linux seems to have a million files to cope for the possible inclusion of extra drives, etc. The Amiga just recognises an extra drive automatically.

When was the last time you used Linux? My system recognizes all other drives and tries to mount them. On Haiku it is the same except that you need to mount it yourself(in the UI). So is that really something the AmigaOS is better in?

Only beeing different is nothing that would attract a user.

Last edited by Hisoka999 on 13-Feb-2010 at 11:31 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:34:15
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Hisoka999

Quote:
And that is good for what?

Many amigans used to have multiple screens... (something like Amiga way of life)

Hisoka999 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:42:02
#106 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
Many amigans used to have multiple screens... (something like Amiga way of life)

I didn't meant the multiple screen feature itself. I meant for what do I need unlimited screens? I can fully live with 4 of them.

whose 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:42:29
#107 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

What I tried to tell you was, that you changed your mind regarding the "x86 will solve all problems"-thing quite fast, but without mentioning it anymore. Thats what I would call "dishonesty". Now you are trying to show the tolerant man, before you bashed on PPC on every occasion. Its nice to see people becoming more tolerant, but its even more nice to see people becoming tolerant and reasonable.

As an example take this quote and compare it to your post I answered to, first.

Quote:
If it was not for the fact that a large number of AOS4 users have been very supportive to Aros I would feel like an outcast. But I do not, I feel I am part of a great platform that is on a very serious roll.

How does this match to your post, saying in the essence, that OS4 people should drop support for OS4 and stay behind AROS, as it will then start the very serious roll you see here already taken? Thats what is called "propaganda", even if it is said without the intention to make some. You change your mind and your assumptions just as it matches to your "agenda" and the path this thread takes. I already mentioned that I believe in you, doing it unintentionally, but this makes it not better.

And yes, I have an agenda, too: No power over my beloved platform to ports from the Unix world It should be the other way round.

@paolone:

Quote:
You call it 'problem', I call it 'great thing'. The best thing about AROS is that there isn't a plan which leaves somebody out, but freedom instead. Bad thing about freedom is that it is really difficult to understand by itself, good thing about freedom is that... well, anyone can bring AROS wherever he/she wants, it's just matter do download the sources and add whatever they want to it. You'll see people like Deadwood bringing full MESA (OpenGL) compatibility and modern hardware 3D acceleration, and in the same time people like Oliver trying to integrate UAE as much as possible: a step in the future, a step in the past. And.. well... you've repeated the word 'hysteria' I don't know how many times... maybe you'd be the one to chill down...

I did it two times, IIRC. I dont have to chill down, as Im not upset about the way your favourite platform takes. As far as I see, some other people should chill down a bit.

Well, you talked about "modern hardware 3D acceleration"... on which basis? Did ATI or NVidia give real internal information away to AROS people? Or to the Linux crowd? If they did, I believe I missed some very important information. Lets face it: You just hope to get more modern 3D hardware accelleration, as other platforms already provide. And as you and others tend to take this as absolute truth and being present already, I believe I am entitled to call it hysteria

For the moment being I see a thread here, pushing itself.

There is no doubt some progress on the AROS platform lately. At the beginning, this thread was reasonable to some extend, but now it is beginning to see the future (and progress still to be made first) as already being present, becoming more and more unreasonable.

I still dont believe in x86 being the holy grail for AmigaOS compatible solutions, regardless, how seemingly powerful and cheap the hardware is. For the time being I see very slow progress for about ten years, after that progress is much faster, but in a direction that IMHO is dangerous for AROS itself. I simply remind you to the fact that "freedom" has its price, and that this price may be much higher than you are willing to pay.

If AROS is successful in the future, ok. But if its not, and I was right with my doubts, it would be a pity IMHO. Another great chance given away.

As I already told over and over again, this is IMHO. Just my two dozen Euro cents on what is going on and how I see the future of it. You could discard it or you could use it for your own thoughts on the future of AROS, just as you like.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:50:29
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Hisoka999

Quote:
I didn't meant the multiple screen feature itself. I meant for what do I need unlimited screens? I can fully live with 4 of them.

I use sometimes even more than 4 screens, but usually 4 are enough.

terminills 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 11:54:07
#109 ]
AROS Core Developer

@whose

Quote:
And yes, I have an agenda, too: No power over my beloved platform to ports from the Unix world It should be the other way round.

You might want to stop using half of the software out for any of the Amiga platforms as they are all ports of unix software.

Timberwolf ... port of Firefox I'm pretty sure that comes from the unix world ...

han's radeon drivers are using atombios if I'm correct (so don't use them either, Atombios was released mainly for the linux crowd).

mplayer scratch that one.

owb you can scratch that one too(the engine comes from unix).

I could go on for days with this but you get the point.

Until the Amiga platforms get some real software that doesn't exist on other platforms you will have to get used to using ports.

Tim

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Minuous 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:22:58
#110 ]

Why would I want to use AROS instead of WinUAE+OS3.9? AROS has hardly any software. I installed it once and half of Workbench seemed to be missing and the rest was ugly. It doesn't support the full OS3.9 API, and it doesn't run normal 68K Amiga binaries like all the other Amiga-likes do.

ikir 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:36:21
#111 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Quote:

Manu wrote:
Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Al4
Because AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people. This is an Amiga-only forum with a dedicated crowd which have already decided what they like and do not like.

It's an OS4 MOS and AROS forum and yes Amiga too. (Amiga WORLD remember ?)

I think you and others have taken this thing ins the wrong way. First of all calm down, and chill your aros pride. Then what he mean with "AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people" is: you should go to ask, advertise on windows forums, because usually a pc users didn't even know amigaworld.net exist. Probably AROS needs more publicity on other kind of forums.
Then Linux is not sluggish, and Aros like OS4 and MOS needs to catch up on many thing to be considerate an alternative to WIndows or OSX.

ikir 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:40:57
#112 ]
Elite Member

@cv643d

Integrated WINE? Very nice i didn't know about it. It is like Crossover on OSX/Linux or just a preinstalled WINE?

Manu 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:48:15
#113 ]

@Minuous

Quote:

Minuous wrote:
Why would I want to use AROS instead of WinUAE+OS3.9? AROS has hardly any software. I installed it once and half of Workbench seemed to be missing and the rest was ugly. It doesn't support the full OS3.9 API, and it doesn't run normal 68K Amiga binaries like all the other Amiga-likes do.

You can access the same binaries via Janue UAE in AROS, no problem there
I don't want to force AROS on anyone. I just say keep an eye on AROS and try it from time to time. AROS is progressing faster and faster and you might have the same amount of software available for AROS as on MOS and OS4 sooner than you can learn to say ... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

The future is bright.

Manu 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:54:48
#114 ]

@ikir

Quote:

I think you and others have taken this thing ins the wrong way. First of all calm down, and chill your aros pride.

I am completely calm, how about you ? Pride, I have no pride I'm the ***hole that first liked OS4 and later sold his soul to AROS

Quote:

Then what he mean with "AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people" is: you should go to ask, advertise on windows forums, because usually a pc users didn't even know amigaworld.net exist. Probably AROS needs more publicity on other kind of forums

I don't think Windows users like Amiga.

Quote:

Then Linux is not sluggish, and Aros like OS4 and MOS needs to catch up on many thing to be considerate an alternative to WIndows or OSX.

True.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:56:36
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Quote:
The future is bright.

Another "loaned" phrase from Bill McEwen?

Manu 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 12:59:35
#116 ]

@pavlor

He,he yes. "Obi Wan has taught me well"

DAX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:01:15
#117 ]
Elite Member

@thread
Two steps:

1)Keep evolving (as its already doing, maybe a faster pace would be nice)

2)Not base expansion goals on the Amiga community but move toward a more general "alternative" platform/os crowd.

Yes there are some Amigans here that back Aros, but you know who they are already and the list it's not going to get larger.

Again Aros is mighty welcome here and will always be, the latter is just practical suggestion to actually increase the number of users instead of only bumping the head on the same/usual wall.

A 1 - 2 punch if you will (keep your ties with the amiga community but go search for a new audience too).

terminills 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:16:11
#118 ]
AROS Core Developer

@DAX

You would be surprised how many Amigans that used to support OS4 or Morphos are now standing behind Aros and contrary to popular belief the list is getting larger... I'm an Amigan since 86 or 87 I've owned many different Amiga's(A1000, 3 A2000's, 2 A1200's An A4000) I owned a Pegasos 2 and, was planning on buying a Sam but I moved to Aros because I prefer the option to choose my hardware(My current $200 aros machine is faster then any Amiga currently available). Oh btw I can also play 1080P videos(which is sad. When the amiga was released it was known as a multimedia computer now it has problems doing what a $30 dvd player does).

DAX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:25:49
#119 ]
Elite Member

@terminills
Quote:
You would be surprised how many Amigans that used to support OS4 or Morphos are now standing behind Aros nd contrary to popular belief the list is getting larger...

The first part might be true, the second part (getting larger) I have my doubts.

terminills 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:39:01
#120 ]
AROS Core Developer

@DAX

You might want to start keeping track of the number of members over at aros-exec ... from what I see the list does grow(and that's just users that sign up for the site).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle