Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  11 mins ago
 ktadd:  21 mins ago
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  56 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 1Mouse:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Allanon:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  OS4 - sigh
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oxygenet 
OS4 - sigh
Posted on 28-Jan-2004 21:12:03
#1 ]

Hi there everyone,

Well it's almost feb already and there's been no news announced at all about AOS4, and I don't mean the odd comment in some thread I mean real news (As no one has time to read every thread )

I got fedup waiting and bought a new HD for my PC which was money I was saving for an AmigaONE + AOS4. I hope something happens soon or the rest of my money will be going to a DVD-Writer and an Athlon64FX, i've supported the Amiga since the 1980's but i'm losing heart right now with so little news happening and people saying "When it's ready" isn't helping, and if I feel this way - a very long time Amiga support (And major fan) I can only imagine what others feel who aren't as loyal

Chris

Profile     Report this post  
jahc 
Re: OS4 - sigh
Posted on 28-Jan-2004 22:08:15
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Oxygenet

Well, the prerelease cd is currently being tested by OS4 betatesters. They're not saying much (Hyperion etc) but things are happening behind the scenes.

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Jan-2004 22:16:07
# ]

I feel for you. I am waiting myself. I am lucky that my A3000 will run it and most of the hardware I have will be supported as far as I've been told by some beta testers here. I am about fed up with the wait myself. I just about got a Peg II and MOS not long ago before I was talked out of it.

Report this post  
Darth_X 
Posted on 28-Jan-2004 22:46:16
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Acill

Quote:

Acill wrote:
I feel for you. I am waiting myself. I am lucky that my A3000 will run it and most of the hardware I have will be supported as far as I've been told by some beta testers here. I am about fed up with the wait myself. I just about got a Peg II and MOS not long ago before I was talked out of it.

Who talked you out of it? Wasn't me, I'd talk you into buying it!

It's all good.. I'm waiting for OS4 for the Pegasos

MagicSN 
Posted on 28-Jan-2004 23:39:29
#5 ]
Hyperion

@Darth_X

>It's all good.. I'm waiting for OS4 for the Pegasos

You might wait long ... (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Steffen

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 1:39:29
#6 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Oxygenet

Quote:
Well it's almost feb already and there's been no news announced at all about AOS4

Note that the announcement said "early 2004", and I only said I anticipate it before February. However, anticipation is one thing and reality is another.

Quote:
i'm losing heart right now with so little news happening and people saying "When it's ready" isn't helping,

The only thing that helps is getting it out. "When it's done" is the only thing you will hear from me.

I don't know why people complain about a lack of news - I'm always here for answering questions. I wonder what people expect in terms of announcement/news frequency - the last news was about a month ago..

I also don't understand why you are losing heart right now - obviously we've never been so close to an actual release of the biggest leap in AmigaOS history.

Unless you think that we're talking gibberish.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 1:58:43
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

We all appreciate the time you guys spend answering questions, especially for things that are needed before the release (eg hardware compatibility). However, there's a certain "something" in an official progress report that somehow makes the waiting a little bit easier.

Remember, you guys at Hyperion *know* how far things are, the rest of us have nothing to do but sit and sweat!

tomazkid 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 2:06:53
#8 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Quote:
I don't know why people complain about a lack of news - I'm always here for answering questions. I wonder what people expect in terms of announcement/news frequency - the last news was about a month ago..

I also don't understand why you are losing heart right now - obviously we've never been so close to an actual release of the biggest leap in AmigaOS history.

Unless you think that we're talking gibberish.

No gibberish as I see it

It is exciting times indeed, and you folks from Hyperion that visit AW, have indeed answeared questions etc. quite well,

But it's been a long wait, it is now over a year since the first A1-boards shipped.
So it can be frustrating at times.
I'm one of the very first G4XE owners, and it is soon 10 months since I got my board.
Linux is ok, but it is not the reason I bought my machine, and waiting for that promised OS can indeed be frustrating.

Oxygenet 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 3:28:09
#9 ]

@Rogue

It's not at all that I think you guys are speaking gibberish, and i'm one of your biggest supporters and I am very proud with what you are all doing. But at the same time, looking around and you see the advancements made to other systems - such as OSX (Only for example, please don't flame me anyone) being a loyal Amiga fan I can't help but be jealous - not because of what OSX (Or any other OS) can do, but because you can touch it, feel it, play with it and basically just have fun.

As has been said, there's nothing like an official press release - that might sound odd, but to actually see something in writing like that helps a great deal - it's been a very long wait for AOS4, not just from you guys (Who really haven't taken that long at all considering what you've had to do) but psychologically, alot of us are drained, it's been so long since a real OS update (And not to be funny, but OS3.5 and 3.9 weren't really updates) and we're all just waiting with baited breath, but there's only so long some of us can wait because we need to invest in new equipment before our old equipment dies, and then we have to make the choice - the stick with Windows or make the leap of faith and go to an AmigaONE system, which doesn't have AmigaOS4 yet? It's hard, psychologically it is a very difficult choice. Pratically you know you should go either Windows or Mac, but in your heart you want the slightest reason to go for AOS4, and a press release or even an official progress report helps people to keep the faith and hold on that little bit longer.

Chris

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 4:39:00
# ]

Hi Oxygenet,

I'm certainly drained.

I've almost run out of tag lines! (Hence less posts.)

But, try and do what they've done on a shoe-string budget.

HW is ONE thing.

OS coding (and we're talking ASSEMBLER even), is hell!!!!!! (I'm sure I don't have to tell you.)

Everthing that CAN go wrong, probably has gone wrong!!!! (I'm sure I don't have to tell you.)

Heck, if it weren't for the internet, I'd guess that this project would take another 2 years!!!!! (Or just about!)

I feel that just maybe (correct me if I'm wrong), some of the coders may even have gone out on a limb, booking hours, to be reimbursed later!!!! (MY speculation (and not my business!))

We should be grateful that they are risking coding this for a small audience, with a very hostile menagerie of miscreants out to discredit achievements, insult/destroy reputations, and basically come up with any new sick and twisted shenanigan to stop them, and therefore us all, in our tracks!

Remember, IBM is huge, and they don't have the fortitude to try something new by getting more involved!!!!!!!

AmigaOne! AOS4.0! Adversity, for some reason, is working in our favour!!!!

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 5:28:05
# ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:

I've almost run out of tag lines!

Hmmm... Maybe the taglines are the message?

! ?

Report this post  
GregS 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 5:57:13
#12 ]

@Rogue don't despair of us -- we are like little kids before Christmas, we have no idea when it really is, we all expect it to be tomorrow and the closer we get to it the more frustrated we feel , because it can never arrive soon enough.

The way you and Hyperion handle the news and information is fine, in fact, professional, honest and straightforward, but the little kid in me wants to crawl up the chimney and pull you down by your boots so I can have my present now rather than later -- it is as simple as that.

Everytime I open this site for news I get exciting thinking today is the day and when I see it is not the news I get depressed and then I repeat the cycle two or three times a day just to make sure.

Quote:

This I believe wholeheartedly, but that only makes it worse!

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 6:02:00
# ]

@Rogue

Give us some screenshots to gloat over then ;) Like the installer or whatever.

That usually calms people down anyway, hehe.

/Björn

Report this post  
DJRJ 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 8:25:13
#14 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Orgin wrote:
@Rogue

Give us some screenshots to gloat over then ;) Like the installer or whatever.

That usually calms people down anyway, hehe.

Yeah, how about some more of that methodone man, some of us are in pretty strung out shape.

/me has visions of seedly looking men on street corners with OS4 under their jackets saying "Psst. I got whatcha need."

Doug.

P.S - Yes, I am worried about what goes on inside that head-thing of mine too.

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

L8-X 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 9:03:04
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Oxygenet

Hang on in there, you'll not regret it I'm sure.

CptPingu 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 10:07:39
#16 ]

You know, this thread has a lot of emotion behind it!!!

How many other people have read this and agree with virtually every comment made? And not just agree but really UNDERSTAND what people are trying to portray in simple text??? AARRgrrrgghhhh!!!!

JUST RELEASE IT!!!!!!

Haha, I think Hyperion should give a release date now, say 31 Jan 2008, and then when its released before that we'll all be extremely happy! But being a little more serious, I know plans have to change but if 2 years ago someone said OS4 is being designed/developed and it will be ready about the end of 2004, we'd all be happilly waiting for the end of this year instead of pulling our hair out every day checking websites for a snippit of new news 3 times a day.

I agree with whoever wrote, more screenshots! How long does it take two produce a couple of screenshots? 3 pics every sunday showing something different will give us some kind of light at the end of a weekly tunnel of no news.

I think I speak on behalf of all members of this site when I say we all appreciate what is happening behind the scenes, but we just need something (any small something) to get us from day to day while the wait continues....

I'm off to find Bill McEwen now...should pass a few months by nicely...

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 10:21:02
#17 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:

I've almost run out of tag lines!

Hmmm... Maybe the taglines are the message?

! ?

Hehe, indeed! I love how you even write these tags even in PM'S!

@ Orgin

Aye! Now that would be a great move by the Hyperion people!

OldAmigan 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 10:28:00
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Oxygenet

Don`t give up on us now, man. Put the HD money back in the pot and get your G4XE ordered - NOW! That way you know you won`t fritter it away and you`ll still come in for the early bird offer.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

tomazkid 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 11:33:30
#19 ]
Team Member

@CptPingu

Quote:
3 pics every sunday showing something different will give us some kind of light at the end of a weekly tunnel of no news.

Good idea!

A screenshot a day, keeps the frustrated horde away !

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 11:35:42
#20 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@CptPingu

Quote:
3 pics every sunday showing something different will give us some kind of light at the end of a weekly tunnel of no news.

Good idea!

A screenshot a day, keeps the frustrated horde away !

...and makes Bodie_CI5 spam away!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle