Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  12 mins ago
 amigakit:  28 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Anyone heard from Jamie Krueger since Amiga.com death
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
persia 
Re: Anyone heard from Jamie Krueger since Amiga.com death
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 14:02:31
#21 ]

Actually Amiga Inc use Hard Hat Hosting, so the cost is USD 25 a month....

Also they were off-lined for not having proper contacts in their registration. You can make that registration private for nine bucks a year, so I'm not sure why they didn't just do that and be done with it. Nobody would know if the private info was correct or not and so couldn't report them....

One worries when a company that is supposedly a technology company doesn't notice that it's website is off-line and doesn't care to update it's contact information and pay the 19 bucks to Godaddy to reinstate it's domain...

@Hans

Profile     Report this post  
Apple Hammer 
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 14:25:07
#22 ]

@persia

... which is basically what Hans said, except with slightly different figures, details and circumstances. Your conclusion (conjecture) is exactly the same. Whichever way you want to look at it, the fact that the website has been down all of this time is always going to fuel speculation that Amiga Inc are history. I think we all agree on that.

Someone said in another thread that he was in touch with someone at Amiga Inc (or at least, he implied as much) and said that he'd been told Amiga Inc were still alive and kicking, and that the website would be back up "soon".

Personally, for me, I think the period defined by "soon" has passed. At least, my interpretation of "soon" has, anyway. For any viable business, and any serious manger of that business, "soon" would translate as "number 1 priority, I want our web presence back up within the next couple of days". The fact that it's been weeks and months with no hint of a website, not even a front page to let potential customers know that the situation is being rectified, spells total disaster in my opinion.

The only conclusion we're left to draw, is that Amiga Inc must be totally gonsville. Nobody home. In any case, they must be in pretty serious trouble.

Not good. Let's hope that either;

1) Amiga Inc recover their position, and soon (my definition of soon)

or

2) The rights to Amiga and its domain are sold/transferred to someone else who can do good for the Amiga platform.

Some people will prefer option 1 and others will prefer option 2. But I don't think anyone wants the only remaining option, which is that Amiga Inc fade into oblivion, the rights to Amiga get taken into oblivion with them, and the domain gets left to expire... exposed to god only knows who to take hold of it.

Apple_Hammer

Last edited by Apple_hammer on 24-Mar-2010 at 02:28 PM.

persia 
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 18:57:44
#23 ]

@Apple_hammer

It's less than US$20 to get the name out of hock. All they have to do is provide real contacts and pay Godaddy's fee. If they really were coming back they'd have done that by now and put up under construction on their website. I guess that's a long way of saying I agree with you.

I think the amiga.com domain is out of most people's price range. Spanish Lesbians and dating services will pay a lot for the site. I would say it's worth US $10.46 as a computer site and US $50,000 plus as a Spanish Lesbian site. Godaddy will auction it to the highest bidder...

Now what happens to the Amiga brand of computers is less clear. If they've simply closed their doors. then they can be said to have abandoned the trademark. Since it's a US trademark, here's an FAQ about it:

Abandoned Trademark

I've searched your site and come across an existing application for the same TM name. My question is at what point is the application considered abandoned?

A trademark application is considered abandoned when there is no response to an office action within the statutory six-month response period. However, the application is not noted as abandoned for approximately 2 months following the expiration of the response period. This is done to allow a response that was filed on the last day of the response period time to be associated with the file. It appears that this application should be noted as abandoned but until that is posted as the official status you cannot assume that is correct. You may check the status of this application on the TARR system at the USPTO website. Since you are not the applicant in this application you may not contact the Examining Attorney assigned to the application for further information.

So if the TM application is officially abandon 8 months after last correspondence than I could file an application and not be refused?

That’s much too broad a statement to say “yes” to. There are many factors that go into allowing or refusing registration of a mark. It is also possible for an abandoned application to be revived. You can submit your application at any time but, of course, you take the chance of refusal. If your application is refused because this prior-filed application was revived and the Examining Attorney finds there is a likelihood of confusion between it and your application, you will be refused registration until prosecution of the prior-filed application is complete.

Hans 
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 19:29:50
#24 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
Actually Amiga Inc use Hard Hat Hosting, so the cost is USD 25 a month....

They could switch to a cheaper provider within a day if $25 US/month was too much for them. Given that there's not much traffic or content on their website, they don't need much in the way of bandwidth, processing power, or storage space.

Hans

Fransexy 
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 19:32:53
#25 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Is not the trademark owned by Gateway (now Acer) and Amiga inc have only exclusive rights to use it?

Last edited by Fransexy on 24-Mar-2010 at 07:37 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 22:02:19
#26 ]

@Fransexy

I reckon Amiga Inc are dead and Hyperion have finally acquired the rights to the Amiga trademark. Maybe it was planned since the settlement. There's a surprise coming. I sense it.

Salup 
Posted on 24-Mar-2010 22:02:42
#27 ]

@Fransexy

From United States Patent and Trademark Office

Word Mark AMIGA
Translations FRIENDLY
Goods and Services IC 009. US 026 038. G & S: COMPUTERS, COMPUTER DISK DRIVES, RAM EXPANSION CARTRIDGES, COMPUTER MONITORS, AND COMPUTER MODEMS. FIRST USE: 19850723. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19850806
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 73571532
Filing Date December 4, 1985
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition April 22, 1986
Registration Number 1401045
Registration Date July 15, 1986
Owner (REGISTRANT) COMMODORE-AMIGA, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 983 UNIVERSITY AVENUE LOS GATOS CALIFORNIA 95030

(LAST LISTED OWNER) AMIGA, INC. CORPORATION WASHINGTON Suite 301 167 Madison Avenue NEW YORK NEW YORK 10016
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Darren B. Cohen
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20060926.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20060926
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

BigD 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 9:13:31
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
Is not the trademark owned by Gateway (now Acer) and Amiga inc have only exclusive rights to use it?

I's assume that also. The trademarks are held by Acer (2 button mouse, rights to build classics, license to OS 1.x-3.x, etc) and only the 'www.amiga.com' domain name is up for grabs now! Should we help Hyperion get it with a bounty?

Last edited by BigD on 25-Mar-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 9:26:17
#29 ]
Hyperion

@BigD

This misconception keeps popping up.

Gateway only held on to the Amiga PATENTS which are totally unrelated to the Amiga trademarks.

SInce patent protection only lasts for 20 years, the vast majority if not all patents have expired in the meanwhile.

BigD 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 10:44:51
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Thanks for clearing that up! That means the Trademarks are up for grabs too!!! Let's hope the Amiga Logo doesn't fall into the hand of the dastardly 'Spanish Lesbians'!!

Wiki: 'Spanish Lesbians' –noun

Similar to the 'Spanish Inquisition' in that they head up an official investigation, esp. one of a political, pseudo-sexual or religious nature, characterized by lack of regard for individual rights, prejudice on the part of the examiners, and recklessly cruel punishments of a kinky or demeaning nature.

Their main aim to is snap up all Trademarks involving the classic 'Amiga' family of personal computers originally developed by Amiga Corporation and use them for counter-cultural and subversive reasons!! Development on the Amiga began in 1982 with Jay Miner as the principal hardware designer. Commodore International bought Amiga Corporation and introduced the machine to the market in 1985. The name Amiga was chosen by the developers specifically from the Spanish word for a female friend (hence the lesbian interest), and because it occurred before Apple and Atari alphabetically and also gave the message that the Amiga computer line was 'user friendly' as a sort of pun or play on words.

"The Spanish Lesbians" was a series of sketches in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Series 2 Episode 2 parodying the real-life Spanish Lesbians. This episode was itself entitled "The Spanish Lesbians". The principal catchphrase in these sketches was: "Nobody expects the Spanish Lesbians!"

Last edited by BigD on 25-Mar-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 25-Mar-2010 at 10:46 AM.

bitman 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 11:20:38
#31 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up! That means the Trademarks are up for grabs too!!!

Why do you think they are up tp graps now? I guess someone sill owns these trademarks, and trademarks does not expire after 20 years.

BigD 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 11:25:13
#32 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

Amiga Inc is DEAD!!! Hence, the Trademarks are up for grabs!! Unless Jamie Krueger signed a contract saying that if Amiga Inc went bankrupt, he would be transferred all Amiga Tademarks, IP and source code to the Snowman Card Creator!

bitman 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 11:38:44
#33 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Do we know for sure that Amiga inc is dead? If they went belly up - all ip's are still owned by Amiga until they have settled the estate.

I don't think Amiga just shut down without selling off ip's

BigD 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 13:14:39
#34 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

That's what the Creditors are for! Amiga Inc sold the rights to AmigaOS to Hyperion, and if they could have got away with selling anything else to them for an inflated price they would have! They probably went bankrupt before they could strike any more deals!

Jamie Kruger is sadly sworn to secrecy but is probably writing ....

'On the Make: The Rise and Fall of the Snowman Card Maker'

....as we speak

bitman 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 13:49:49
#35 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

If they went bankrupt - the laywers has to sell off everything to try to get some money out of the estate.

KimmoK 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 14:06:01
#36 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

Perhaps AInc has captured some PA6T chips when they were going to use it with ACK for NG Amiga.

How's that for a NDA reason? Surely no one wants to admit the connection to *Inc.

Last edited by KimmoK on 25-Mar-2010 at 02:07 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Dandy 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 14:25:42
#37 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Hyperionmp

Let's hope the Amiga Logo doesn't fall into the hand of the dastardly 'Spanish Lesbians'!!

Yeaah - my brother "fell in the hands" of one of them.
When their sons were 7 and 10 she decided that she is a lesbian and left my brother and the kids in the lurch.
Off she went to her "Amiga" to rattle their cans together...

Dandy

Trixie 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 14:47:50
#38 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Quote:
Amiga Inc is DEAD!!! Hence, the Trademarks are up for grabs!! Unless Jamie Krueger signed a contract saying that if Amiga Inc went bankrupt, he would be transferred all Amiga Tademarks, IP and source code to the Snowman Card Creator!

You appear to be seriously misinformed! Actually, all Amiga trademarks, IP and sourcecodes have now been transferred to a snowman from Snoqualmie, a former Amiga Inc. employee, as a compensation for not being paid.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

persia 
Posted on 25-Mar-2010 16:52:25
#39 ]

@BigD
Actually Amiga Inc still own AmigaOS, but they gave a perpetual license to Hyperion and agreed not to compete with Hyperion, so they own it but they can't actually use it to make money. Absolutely worthless to anyone.

Antix Game Player/Tao Intent/Amiga Anywhere isn't going anywhere and isn't worth anything.

The trademark will fail once they are billed and the bill returns with address unknown....

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@bitman

That's what the Creditors are for! Amiga Inc sold the rights to AmigaOS to Hyperion, and if they could have got away with selling anything else to them for an inflated price they would have! They probably went bankrupt before they could strike any more deals!

Jamie Kruger is sadly sworn to secrecy but is probably writing ....

'On the Make: The Rise and Fall of the Snowman Card Maker'

....as we speak

JamieKrueger 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 0:09:05
#40 ]

@TheAMIgaOne

Quote:

Anyway main reason for seeing if ur still around was due to that OS4 book idea, as i would guess u could be quite useful with either tutorials or even allow some form of AVD to be distributed with the book, although dont think they have discussed the idea of accompliment cd yet.

A community written book on OS4 Programming you say? Interesting idea.

I had planned on authoring a programming guide for writing AmigaOS applications
using AVD at some point, and would be honored to contribute something to a similar
community effort. Can you point me to the discussion thread on it?

(sorry to be lazy and not search for it myself, but my time is very limited these days).

Best Regards,

Jamie Krueger

PLEASE NOTE: I only speak for myself and my company,
and am not a spokesperson for Amiga Inc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle