Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 65 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

number6

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 number6:  7 secs ago
 Karlos:  20 mins ago
 matthey:  32 mins ago
 Rob:  45 mins ago
 kolla:  49 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Why wasting time with X1000 if we can have Sam640ex
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
tomazkid 
Re: Why wasting time with X1000 if we can have Sam640ex
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:07:44
#21 ]
Team Member

@Chuckt

The FAQ was initiated from aw.net side just to try to fill the void after the positive PR after the "What is X?" campaign in the beginning of the year.
The campaign got attention far outside the normal crowd, and Amiga got more attention in the main press than it has had since the C= days.

Of course a proper website with information would look more professional, I really don't know why it has not got up yet, but this FAQ is an effort to give people a chance to get answers to all kind of questions and imho it is better than nothing.

And Sam640ex, well, I hope it will run OS4, looks like the best available machine this far, more modern than PEG2 and better than the previous Sam's.

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:08:12
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

The people behind A-Eon are well known and both long-time posters on this site. If you don't know who they are, then you must have had your eyes closed since the X1000 was first announced. The people responsible for the design, manufacture, testing and implementation of OS4 on the resulting board have all been named and are all known to those who can read. You don't have to go anywhere else, it's all on this site.

The design was executed by an experienced design company. We know all the participants involved, who has paid for it, who is running it. The only thing we haven't been told is just which of the small number of candidates (two IIRC?) is the actual CPU chip we will get. Big deal.

I suppose it will be like the A1s running OS4 back in 2004. There will still be people saying "I won't believe it until I can see it on the shelves in ", even after the machine is already in the hands of testers and has been demonstrated in public.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Chuckt 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:12:50
#23 ]

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@Chuckt

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

The people behind A-Eon are well known and both long-time posters on this site. If you don't know who they are, then you must have had your eyes closed since the X1000 was first announced. The people responsible for the design, manufacture, testing and implementation of OS4 on the resulting board have all been named and are all known to those who can read. You don't have to go anywhere else, it's all on this site.

The design was executed by an experienced design company. We know all the participants involved, who has paid for it, who is running it. The only thing we haven't been told is just which of the small number of candidates (two IIRC?) is the actual CPU chip we will get. Big deal.

I suppose it will be like the A1s running OS4 back in 2004. There will still be people saying "I won't believe it until I can see it on the shelves in ", even after the machine is already in the hands of testers and has been demonstrated in public.

I haven't been here long enough to know who they are. I understand what you have said.

metalmac 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:17:23
#24 ]

@All

No, no,no,no!

Not a hardware war! I am tierd of wars in the Amiga world, let us all calm down and se
what Acube and A-eon has to offer, no more red vs blue (ore this time, Acube vs A-eon)
We cant aford another war!

Last edited by metalmac on 04-Apr-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Chuckt 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:20:55
#25 ]

@metalmac

Quote:

metalmac wrote:
@All

No, no,no,no!

Not a hardware war! I am tierd of wars in the Amiga world, let us all calm down and se
what Acube and A-eon has to offer, no more red vs blue #### (ore this time, Acube vs A-eon)
We cant aford another war!

Healthy competition will only make us better.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:23:28
#26 ]

@Arko,

Been kissin' the blarney stone I see.

Chris

ne_one 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:29:34
#27 ]
Cult Member

What I find really puzzling is the fact that the community has bemoaned the lack of hardware options for years and now when 2 options are available some people are questioning the practicality.

The AX1000 will allow prosumers and developers to advance the technology while the Sam640ex will provide end users with a capable general purpose system.

If anything 2 options is far too limiting.

I'm equally surprised that some people are questioning the legitimacy of those backing these initiatives. Yes, A-AEON was shortsighted in failing to follow-up their mind bender with some sort of corporate web presence and I'm sure they are painfully aware of that. But... it's clear that the people behind the effort are both credible and eminently capable. Once they deliver a product I'm sure they will welcome scrutiny. Until that time, this is all urinating into the proverbial wind.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:30:45
#28 ]

Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
@klx300r

[quote]
I'm one of those cautious people who didn't buy an Amiga One. I decided that first year cars always have problems and they are fixed in subsequent years so that is why I didn't buy an Amiga One and I don't regret it.. Software Hut stopped selling Amiga One because they were missing processors.

@Chuckt,

Bought my A1 From Softhut on the earlybird special, delivered end of 2003. Glad I have it.

Bought the first year Subaru WRX in 02, Love it. No problems.

It's what you choose that matters.

Chris

Kronos 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:47:52
#29 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

>The people behind A-Eon are well known and both long-time posters on this site.

So was ACK, and AFAIR the guys behind Troika

>The design was executed by an experienced design company.

Hmmm were did I hear it that again ? Oh yeah a certain Mr. Redhouse trying to sell a bunch of underdeveloped not-fit-for-resale evaluation boards at hicked up prices.

A-EON and it's supporters may have used alot of words, but we are still short on actual and confirmable informations.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 5:57:31
#30 ]

AFAIR, the 2 computers arrive the same time (after Summer) and maybe X1000 little before.

Just be relay, have a good Summer holiday and Buy SAM460 or no holiday and a X1000 (for the money).

1 GHZ CPU is enough for you and you like small and silent, buy SAM460.
1.6 GHZ is never enough, buy the X1000.

AOS4.1U1 is allready verry great with SAM440. Just need some CPU power for video playing and blender time rendering (E-UAE could be optimized).

You couldd imagine the ammount of work the AOS4 team have during the next months. I'm sure the AOS4 port for this 2 computers will be beta first (like SAM440).

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

Chuckt 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 6:55:01
#31 ]

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@Chuckt

The obvious is lack of public relations. Getting the word out is key to selling your product. They need to have a web presence, a phone number, literature, articles, pictures, etc.

I think they are taking Amiga users for granted. Users from amiga.org and amigaworld.net know about it but were those sales enough to keep Eyetech in business?

The problem is you need to get the word out and with summer coming, time is not on their side. People are going to go on vacation and want to have money available for vacation. I've tried to advertise things I've wanted to sell and August is the worst month and some of the computer magazines I've read were the smallest in August.

With respect to the users, I don't know them but I'm sure they are great guys. The computer industry is very competitive and can you survive without a doctorate or master's degree since Hewlett Packard doesn't hire many without it? Can you give support if you don't answer your phone? Is there a peter principle here?

Last edited by Chuckt on 04-Apr-2010 at 06:55 AM.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 7:13:29
#32 ]
Elite Member

If you want to buy a SAM440 (or 460 when it's available) do it. It's an excellent entry level machine and is a perfect companion for AmigaOS4. I am fortunate to own both the SAM440ep (667) and a SAM440 Flex (800), I will probably buy a 460 when it becomes available and I'm sure it will run OS4 otherwise what would be the point?

To date I've provided 11 SAM systems to Amiga developers to assist the development of applications software for OS4 and probably will continue to supply additional SAM systems in the future.

However, If you want and can afford a pro-level Amiga system buy the A1-X1000. The choice is simple and depends on your budget and needs. Whatever you decide, if you can afford it, buy at least one of the systems. That will ensure that AmigaOS and new Amiga hardware continues to be developed.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 04-Apr-2010 at 07:14 AM.

metalmac 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 7:24:03
#33 ]

@TrevorDick

+1

sundown 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 7:29:19
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
A-EON and it's supporters may have used alot of words, but we are still short on actual and confirmable informations.

Your moobunny buddies have all the inside info on the X1000, why are you here with us os4 dummies?

K-L 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 8:24:09
#35 ]

@Arko

Except for trolling, I don't see the point of such a thread.

Don't you think there far enough division without going on thwroing oil on fire ?

billt 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 8:36:44
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
9. It is new hardware, no used SoC chips involved.

???

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 9:17:08
#37 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

First there's threads ####ing an moaning about LACK of hardware, now there's this thread moaning about TOO MUCH hardware!

I sometimes wonder what the Amiga community would be like if we didn't split into three groups of ####y, moany bunches of ingrates.

At this point I wonder why any serous company would bother serving us at all!

Wizz.

Troels 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 9:32:00
#38 ]
Elite Member

Hi Arko

1. It's just a name. I have been happy with my A1 and have had it running since 2004 without any problems.

2. No full specs is not a problem when neither of the boards is available yet.

3. Acube is a great company no doubt. AEON don't have a history as being either good or bad, but the persons behind it are all good respected guys so there's no reason to doubt their ability to deliver.

4. The SAM460 have less expansion possibilities and while it is perhaps only 1/3 of the price it's only for a board and not a complete system in custom made tower.

5. Acube runs their business in a very prof. way, agreed. I happened to like the AEON puzzle but I agre that it should have been followed by a company website soon after. Website IS on it's way though, so I'm told:)

6. Nice for some people, I'd probably prefer that but I also see a charm in a full assembled system in a custom case with Amiga mouse and keyboard.

7. I don't buy products to show my loyalty and thats really NOT a serious argument not to "waste time with the X1000".

8. X1000 will run both much faster in their AmigaOS versions.

9. What do you talk about here???

10. I'm no naysayer and might get an X1000 or SAM460 but so far my A1 still runs better than ever

11. of course there will be AmigaOS for SAM460, no point in building the board if it wasn't for AmigaOS.

I'm sure both the X1000 and the SAM460 will be great HW for AmigaOS.
The SAM460 ensures we have entry level hardware to complement the X1000 which is very important IMHO.

mlehto 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 9:52:54
#39 ]

@Arko

X1000 has more expansion options, where 640ex is real weak.

Thats enought for me.

Ripped 640ex should be good for laptop...

Amigo1 
Posted on 4-Apr-2010 9:57:18
#40 ]

@TrevorDick

@arko

When I read this thread no one had replied, I was tempted to, but did not in the hope no one would.

Trevor, this is the best reply so far, thanks.
Arko, you seem to doubt the X1000 will happen or you you just did not chose your wording well, eather way it sounds provoking in a brazen manner to me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle